Start by marking “Despertar (Crónicas Vampíricas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Despertar (Crónicas Vampíricas, #1)

Despertar (The Vampire Diaries #1)

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  55,648 Ratings  ·  3,099 Reviews
Stefan Salvatore, el nuevo alumno de Fell's Church, arrastra con él un misterioso pasado y también a alguien que sólo desea venganza, su hermano Damon: son más que hermanos de sangre y su odio excede las barreras del tiempo... Ahora tratan de reproducir un mortífero triángulo amoroso que tiene en su centro a Elena, la chica más popular del instituto.

Crónicas Vampíricas es
Published February 2010 by Destino (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Despertar, please sign up.
Nastashia I read the books first a long time ago before I saw the tv series and I personally enjoyed the first two books....it got a bit weird for me somewhere…moreI read the books first a long time ago before I saw the tv series and I personally enjoyed the first two books....it got a bit weird for me somewhere near the end of the 3rd or 4th book (The books I had were compilation books each with I believe 2 or 3 books in them .... so I'm guessing it was more like book 6 lol sorry if I'm confusing you lol). When the series came out I was quite disappointed with it because none of the characters descriptions in my opinion matched the descriptions in the book (In the book Bonnie is short a curly redhead .... so I pictured someone that looked more like a teen version of Annie.... not a super pretty black girl with dark hair... so that really threw me for a loop, as well as the Steffan and Damon characters I pictured them looking quite different as well. Also, much of the storyline and events that happen in the book don't show up in the show at all. I would say at least give the first 2 or 3 books a read and see if they are your cup of tea, but don't expect them to be like the show at all because they are two different beasts.(less)
Alexandra its entirely different than the tv show...the protagonists have nothing to do with the ones in the show for example helena in the books is blonde and…moreits entirely different than the tv show...the protagonists have nothing to do with the ones in the show for example helena in the books is blonde and blue eyed..my opinion?dont bother reading if you want it to be exactly like th tv show..you'd better do what i did,think of these books as an entirely different story that are in no way related to the series(less)

Elle

If you can only have one star, it may as well be a Death Star.
Anthi
Dec 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-pnr
My god!!! What can I say about this book?? IT IS A BAD BOOK!!! It has bad cheesy prose, a snotty annoying (and kind of a bimbo) heroine and the cliched, brooding Byronic vampire hero, needless to say that the moment they lay their eyes upon each other they fall hopelessly in love. Oh yes!! I can't believe I almost forgot!!!!! The mother of all originalities... it also has a love triangle!!!! I think it's safe to say that this book is the poster book for cheesy YA pnr books and since it was writt ...more
Nightfalltwen
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Written long before Twilight. SMeyer's claim of never having read Vampire fiction is absurd. There are FAR TOO MANY parallel's between LJ Smith's characters and Smeyer's.

And when it comes down to it? SMeyer has nothing on LJ Smith.

The story is refreshing and action packed. The characters are likeable. Stefan and Damon are interesting. And they don't SPARKLE!

All in all? 9 billion times better than Twilight. I can't wait to read the next one
Petra (Safari Poet)
I didn't expect this book to be what it was. I was planning on reading the series, but I kinda forced myself to finish this book, which is obviously not a good sign.

Elena's characters wasn't likeable. I don't mind the being popular part, I just couldn't stand it when she was ordering people around to find out information about Stefan. And when she realizes that *gasp*, she might not get the guy, it's like the world will end because she didn't get what she wanted for once.

The highs and lows barel
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one at all; tweens can and should do better
Recommended to Stephanie by: the far superior TV series
Read Awakening legally and for free here courtesy of the publisher. But please keep adequate amounts of brain bleach on hand.
What can I say? I read this on the usually-safe assumption that the book would be better than its adaptation. Differences are usually in the book's favor, but for once this is not the case. The TV series is a dramatically revised and very loose adaptation of the book, and a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. I'd give the TV series 4 stars, but this book is among the most worthless I have e
Margot
Dec 17, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire, young-adult
After reading the vampire trilogy by Stephenie Meyer, I thought I would continue my bloodthirsty fiction rampage with this older teenage vampire trilogy. Lo and behold, it's almost the same story! Oh, Stephenie Meyer, now I know how you cranked out those three fat (should have been heavily edited) books in such a short span of time! For shame!
Lindsey
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this was MY Twilight before there was Twilgiht. I read this series when I was about thirteen. I was already into vampires in my preppy goth kind of way, and this one made me say SQUEE! This book is from the early 90's, but with the Twilight phenomenon, it's now been reissued, bound with a new cover featuring some blonde model, and is being considered as the basis of a TV series on CW (not sure how I feel about that). I like the original cover better (featured above). I had to bid on ebay f ...more
Ali (Readaholic ∞)

PRE-REVIEW: I'm so grateful it's finally over, what a disappointment this book was, the TV series is way better.

Full review to come…
Athena ღ
Δεν είναι και οτι καλύτερο έχω διαβάσει, αλλά 3.5 αστεράκια θα τα βάλω, για τις αναμνήσεις που μου ζωντάνεψε!
Ronja
Feb 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little squealing school girls
Shelves: unfinished
I came to that book by the internet. A lot of people recommended it and I thought it MUST be right. Gosh, did I failed.
It's one of the first book I was eager to give away and I really regret that I bought it. At first the cover of my german version is ugly (yeah I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but it IS ugly)

Second, I am really fed up with all this "ooohw dark handsome mysterious guy" or even better TWO gorgeous brothers. I mean do we normal human girls now all have to wait for our Mr.
Kate ♡
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
This book was pretty good, didn't really expect that. I enjoyed it alot and will be continuing with the series!

Elena was quite annoying, and the insta-love was just ridiculous, but I found myself being able to look past that.

I feel like the series is only going to get better, I hope that's the case :)
Urmi  ✨BookishPixieOfForbiddenForest✨
I've always considered that no movie or TV show can produce better essence than the books. But I guess I was wrong to some extent. The book version of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES was too horrible for me. Though I never knew that TVD is adapted from a book series, now it turns out that it would have been way better if my sister never enlightened me on this topic! All in all, it felt as if I was reading a Vampire Diaries fanfic on the net. The TV Show is hell better. If anyone would ever ask me for my sug ...more
Avis
Gah. This book.

description

To be honest, since Fury disappointed me, I didn't expect much from The Vampire Diaries.

But...

And so am I.

Everyone in this book is batshit crazy. Damon is batshit crazy, Katherine is batshit crazy and Elena isn't really far.

description

I should really stop with the pictures.

Elena, besides being crazy as fuck, has no personality. Actually, none of the characters has a personality. No dreams, no ambitions, no hobbies, no fears. They're all like blank papers.

But of course, Elena is a super du
Isamlq
Mar 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If the show had not been made, if I had not read a ton of other vampire books, THE AWAKENING might have been OK. Since the show was made and since I have read a ton of YA PNR with vampires as the central figure… I am amazed that I finished it.

First: This book pales in comparison to the show. So from here on out I am not even going to bother with a comparison.

Second: I hate Elena! Flighty, believing herself entitled, and very insensitive to the needs and feelings of those around her (poor Matt!)
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
Picture the scene. It's 1996, I'm 12 years old. I'm at the library down the street, perusing the single shelf that makes up the YA section. I find this little paperback that promises deadly love. Vampire brothers, you say? Unspeakable horror, you say? I take the book home and read it in the course of an afternoon. I AM AWESTRUCK. WHAT IS THIS MAGICAL BOOK??? I've never read anything like it.

Immediately I make my dad take me to the bookstore in the mall so he can buy me the rest of the series. I
Sandeep ☾
1/5 Stars

This is the case when the adaption is better than the book.

This book is just sooooooooo bad.

I read this book back in 2015 because I was a big fan of the television show (which I'm not anymore) and wow what a disappointment it was.

Elena was very annoying and arrogant, probably one of the worst characters I’ve read, and honestly all the characters were pretty horrible.

This book is ridiculous and a waste of time, don’t read unless you want lose some brain cells.
Sarah Pierce
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were some of my favorite books as a teenager. They are about a high school student, Elena Gilbert, who is torn between two hot vampire brothers. Melodrama ensues. They are not the most mature books, but they are all about nostalgia for me. Of course, as I get older, I think that a lot of the things Elena does are downright stupid, but I still remember how romantic it all seemed when I was 14.
Nikoleta
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Δεν είναι κακό, μικρό και ευκολοδιάβαστο, αν κ σίγουρα έκανε κακό το οτι είμαι φαν της σειράς. Το βιβλίο και η τηλεοπτική σειρά δεν εχουν σχεδόν καμία σχέση. Όταν το δέχτηκα αυτό και άρχισα να το διαβάζω ως κάτι διαφορετικό άρχισα και να το απολαμβάνω. Παρ'ολα αυτα έχω ενστάσεις για το χαρακτήρα της Ελένα, ουτε στη σειρά τη συμπαθώ, ούτως ή άλλως, αλλά εδώ αγγίξαμε νέα όρια αντιπάθειας!
Beatriz
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Creo que un buen indicador para valorar un libro es su capacidad para atrapar al lector y, al menos en mi caso, no podía soltar esta novela. Si bien al comienzo podría sospecharse una historia simple y superficial, al ir avanzando va tomando un cariz bastante oscuro, con conflictos muy bien elaborados y en que los personajes van tomando mucha fuerza.

Además, destaco el estilo de la autora: muy limpio, claro y con un equilibrio perfecto en lo descriptivo como para crear todo el entorno en la imag
Merary
Well, well, well. This is the book that actually started the cliche storm that influenced the Twilight series. Put it in your book history book (Whaa?), my dear readers!

I haven't seen the TV series yet (I will until I finish the entire series. I can't wait for Nina Dobrev, one of my favorite actresses!), but I'm pretty sure it's so much better than this. I don't know, maybe it was the writing that set me off. I wouldn't say it was terrible, it just wasn't . . . good. I will say it once again: Sh
~Bellegirl91~
description

Okay so I remember back when Netflix had at least the first 3 seasons of this show on there (or maybe 2? can't remember) anyway, my neighbor told my parents about this show and how she LOVED it and so they watched the first 3 episodes and quit. I on the other hand saw the first 20 minutes of it and my curiosity piqued (especially after seeing the gorgeous sexy Salvatore brothers haha) and I started on episode 1 and just kept going and been watching live after the season that was on netflix. So t
Hannah S.
I've watched the tv show for quite a while, which I admit definitely colors my reception of the book. But I could not get past the first few chapters. I tried, because I wanted to see how the books differed from the show. I really did try, which is why I made it to the third chapters instead of the just the first. The writing was sub-par and I just could not relate to any of the characters. They seemed like caricatures, all obsessed with popularity and being the "queen bee," and I just couldn't ...more
J.D. Stroube
After reading this book for the fifth or sixth time, I still enjoyed it! It reminds me of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

I have about a million positive things to say and only one negative: Elena says "I love you" too quickly. The fact that such a serious statement is made at such an early stage in the book...irritates me. I love you is not something to be taken lightly, and when said too early it makes me think of puppy love, not undying love.

Other than that single annoyance...this book is endear
Shaikha
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know the TV show is MUCH better than the book, but let’s be honest you guys, this is the original piece that brought the characters to life. It was written in 1991 for god’s sake, give L.J. some credit! It’s pure gold. 💛💛💛💛
Kristin
Vampire Month of May with Karly, Jess, and Heather

Yowza. That was brutal. How did they make a show of this again? I mean, I know the show is cheesy and all, but this...this is so, soooo, much worse.

Elena is a BLONDE special snowflake and self proclaimed Queen of Robert E. Lee High School whose only goal in life is to get boys. Totally sounds like someone an old world vampire would want, right? Stefan is so blah and boring though, he probably needs some immaturity in his life. Damon, hmm...we di
Anne
Apr 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
Well, I didn't like this book. Not at all. I read half of the book and then got really really bored so I scanned the pages til the end. I was both relieved and disappointed. Disappointed because the book wasn't good. I did not like the characters - especially Elena. And relieved because I was saved from another half a day of pure stupidity.

Elena's obsession with the Stefan was just too annoying plus there were a bunch of stupidly infuriating scenes that were so, well.. infuriating and stupid. Ta
Blodeuedd Finland

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Pages: 272
Published: 1991
The Vampire Diaries #1

Ok the vampire diaries. First yes I get why they have this cover, but when she has dark hair and Elena has blonde, it's just weird.

Elana fancies a boy, the boy Stefan is a vampire, she wants him, he is scared for her sake, they get together.

That was the short version.

First, 17 year old girl, 500 year old vampire, eww.

Ok to the story. I didn't like Elena. She was the most beautiful gi
Kim M
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Since when had she, Elena Gilbert, been scared of meeting people? Since when had she been scared of anything? She stood up and angrily thrust her arms into a red silk kimono. She didn’t even glance at the elaborate Victorian mirror above the cherry wood dresser. She knew what she’d see. Elena Gilbert, cool and blonde and slender, the fashion trendsetter, the high school senior, the girl every boy wanted and every girl wanted to be.”

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing…

Queen Snowflake!!!!

Elena owns
Tracey
NAME THAT BOOK

First we have
Photobucket
oh great i can't wait....
then add some lines
Photobucket
wait for it!

time clock photo: Clock thclock.gif

and then the big reveal.
i'm shaking in anticipation

= Photobucket
Lex
Less of a review and more of me venting, sorry. You've been warned. I was thinking of starting this off by saying The Awakening reads like fanfiction, but . . . that would be an insult to fanfiction.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I got through The Awakening was because I came to the conclusion that Elena has narcissistic personality disorder. On the first day back at school, Elena sees Stephan and decides she's going to have him, even "if it killed her. If it killed both of them, she'd have h
  • Creatures of Forever (The Last Vampire, #6)
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)
  • Reckoning (The Fallen, #4)
  • Blood Ties (Darke Academy, #2)
  • Blodsøstre (Blodets Bånd #1)
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
  • End of Days (Night Runner #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith

The Vampire Diaries (4 books)
  • The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
    $9.99 $2.99
“Evil will never find peace. It may triumph, but it will never find peace.” 536 likes
“It doesn't matter if you can't say it right now. I'll say it for both of us. And someday you'll learn.” 267 likes