Start by marking “The Book of Beasts” as Want to Read:
The Book of Beasts

The Book of Beasts

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
An enduring story of the magic to be found in books.
Young Lionel is very surprised to be made King, but he's delighted to discover the world full of books in the Palace library. When Lionel opens one called THE BOOK OF BEASTS, he's in for an even greater surprise--out of the pages fly a butterfly and a blue Bird of Paradise! But when he opens the book again and releases a
Hardcover, Abridged, 64 pages
Published December 31st 2001 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published September 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Beasts

Sara Thompson
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
E Nesbit's name comes up on a number of must read lists for children. I was a little shocked when the librarian handed me a colorful picture book instead of the novel like juvenile book I had imagined it would be. Nonetheless, the book was on the list and I read it. It was fun. Little Lionel wakes up one morning to find he has been made king - his great great great great great grandfather was the last king and since then the people of his kingdom have been saving up to buy him a real crown. Lion ...more
Sara
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was curious and apprehensive about this book. Normally, I abhor abridgments. I think that this one reads like an encouragement but it also captures the spirit of Nesbit. What Little it lacks in the story is more than made up for in the illustration. In many ways, this really is a treat.
April
This is a fun adorable read for kids. I fondly recall reading these in much younger days and this was a happy revisit.

The story is a simple fantasy with plenty of fun elements. It is enchanting from beginning to end. I read this with my 6 year old niece, and she was enthralled! These are such lovely stories with rich characters and creative situations.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Karen Krause, who is delightful. She has a nice steady pace that moves with the story. I love her accent,
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A collection of Nesbit stories, published in 1900, all of them about dragons. Almost all of the stories have a modern fantasy feel to them, and with some minor tinkering could be published today. There is still some Victoriana stuffed in some of the stories; I thought "Uncle James" felt more like Lewis Carroll. But all of them still have the trademark Nesbit drollness and point of view. Quite fun.
Ammon
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant book with equally delightful narration by Karen Krause.
Dewi
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lionel kecil dimaklumkan sebagai Raja setelah kakek dari kakeknya kakek (entalahlah) mangkat. Dia bingung. Dia pikir negaranya adalah sebuah Republik. Lalu penasihat menyatakan bahwa pendukungnya selama ini menabung untuk membeli mahkota bagi Lionel?
Loh apakah Raja sebelumnya tak punya mahkota.
Tentu saja punya. Tapi mahkota itu dijual dan dibelikan buku-buku. Lionel pun penasaran ingin melihat buku-buku Raja sebelumnya. Dan ia pun melihat Book of Beasts. Dan apa yang terjadi?
Daniel Joshua
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A marvelous adventure, I lived and breathed E. Nesbit stories growing up.
Susan
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A child king (Lionel) finds a book once owned by one of his distant grandsires. Like all good kids, he plays with it and sets a giant butterfly free. He’s warned not to do so again, but he releases yet another fantastical critter (a bird of paradise), and then another (the dragon!), which threatens his kingdom and he must make it right again. A hippogriff and manticore come into play too!

This was a great story for kids and fun for adults too. The very young Lionel knows he is king, but also know
Jason Orendorff
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A boy accidentally releases a terrible red dragon from the magical Book of Beasts. His first attempt to make it right is clever—maybe clever enough, in some lesser storybook—but no, it doesn't work: the boy must face the dragon himself.

The way Edith Nesbit gets her hero into and out of this predicament is the defining quality of the book. There is peril, yes, and bravery, and adventure—but none of the grim, visceral struggle or the emotional sound and fury of, say, Margaret Hodges’s Saint George
Sandra Guerfi
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully rendered illustrated edition of E. Nesbit's short story. The story itself stays pretty much true to the original and is a perfect fantasy addition to add to any child's library.

When Lionel becomes King he is brought to the Palace and discovers a huge library that is now all his and is overjoyed as he loves to read. His counselors however warn him that this library is full of books that would best be left unread. But what happens when Lionel comes across a book called The B
Althea Ann
A rather precious story of a young child who is unexpectedly crowned King, and ends up letting out all manner of dangerous Beasts from a magical tome. It has a rather annoying tone - I can just see the adults going 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' over the things that passed over the head of the child the story was being read to. And, when a dragon eats someone, that person should stay dead. Kids can handle that.

(Review of the non-abridged story. There's no call to abridge such a short piece.)
Carolyn
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, audible, kids
I listened to this in audiobook form. It is a wonderful, timeless classic story that will delight children and adults alike who love magic, dragons and naughty children.
The narrator Karen Krause was absolutely perfect! She brings the story to life with each character having a distinct voice. I will not hesitate to listen to any book she reads.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Deedra
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little story about a boy king and his book.There are beasts in these books and the king is away on an adventure!I loved it!
Karen Krause was perfect for the narration of this childrens tale.
"I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast dot com."
Lucy Barr-hamilton
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elisheba
I loved this book! I thought it would be too long for my 3 year old, but she was fascinated. It is funny, has a great crisis for the new king to deal with, is full of interesting characters and animals. It is abridged, but having just read the full version I think it has been done really well! Beautiful pictures too!
Kara
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Intricately detailed illustrations painted by words so eloquently placed together and blended onto the pages quite magically! This is a definite seek for a lifetime treasury of books that I want passed on from generation to generation. There is wisdom and wit for young and, ahem, more mature readers to enjoy.
Maia
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
The Book of Beasts is a illustrated abridgment of a short story by the classic children's book author E. Nesbit. Inga Moore has done a lovely job with her text decisions and her illustrations. I wish I had done them.
Sherry Schwabacher
Anise and I enjoyed the language and the storyline - but we were disappointed when the hippogriff was illustrated as a pegasus! Anise said, "That's not a hippogriff; it doesn't have an eagle's head!"
Kate
Nov 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the whimsical
Shelves: childrensbooks
First published in 1900, this story of a boy-king's accidental unleashing of a mighty dragon has stood the test of time and will continue to delight listeners. Funny, adventurous, and warmly told. Gr. K-2.
Terri
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit, cpl
This is a charming book with the feel of a classic fairy tale and more beautiful illustrations from Inga Moore (The House in the Woods).
Jenny
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a new found favorite author. Thanks, Betsy! I'm reading through many of her books and just love her voice. My girls are enjoying these richly written fairy tales.
Kelsey Yates
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good British humor.
Karen
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie
We gave Ellie this book after her Christmas Piano Recital. She loved it! After listening to her narration of the story I can't wait to read it myself...krb 12/30/16
Jeannette
  • A Day's Work
  • Saving the Last Dragon
  • The Silver Pony
  • Me, All Alone, at the End of the World
  • The Dragonling (The Dragonling, #1)
  • Henry & The Kite Dragon
  • The Wolf Who Cried Boy
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Merlin and the Dragons
Edith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on over 60 books of fiction for children, several of which have been adapted for film and television. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later connec

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99