Start by marking “Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The 60s - Rob and Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who” as Want to Read:

(Running Through Corridors #1)

In Running Through Corridors, two Doctor Who lovers of old - Robert Shearman and Toby Hadoke - embark on an epic quest of friendship: spend the gap year of 2009 (when Doctor Who consisted of a handful of specials rather than a full season) re-watching the whole of Who two episodes a day, every day, from the show's start in 1963 and ending with David Tennant's swan song on ...more
Published December 14th 2010 by Mad Norwegian Press

To ask other readers questions about Running Through Corridors, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Through Corridors, Volume 1

Start your review of Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The 60s - Rob and Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who
Paul
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This weekend I finished the book Running Through Corridors: Rob & Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who.

Award winning playwright, novelist and screenwriter, Robert Shearman and actor, writer and comedian Toby Hadoke spent the gap year of 2009 (when Doctor Who consisted of a handful of specials rather than a full season) re-watching the whole of Doctor Who two episodes a day, every day, from the shows start in 1963 and ending with David Tennants swan song on New Years Day, 2010.

Published in
Matt Smith
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'll fully admit that i'm in the weeds when it comes to Doctor Who and its fandom. I mean, I don't know how much you go into it, and I'm not the sort who goes onto tumblr to see what certain sects of fandom are saying, but fandom itself, how it evolved, how it is in dialogue with the show itself... All of that is fascinating to me, and it's impossible to talk about a book like Running Through Corridors without referencing Doctor Who.

So with that in mind....

I will admit that it's really hard for
Richard Wright
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
An odd book, and one that's going to appeal to Doctor Who fans only. The estimable Rob Shearman decided one day that he wanted to watch or (in the case of episodes missing from the archive) listen to every televised episode of Doctor Who, in order, right from the start. To enhance the pleasure (gluttony is always best shared), he convinced Toby Hadoke to join him. This book is part one of that quest, in which they discuss each story in turn, trying their best to concentrate on the good (and ...more
Aaron
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Running Through Corridors shouldn't be a five-star book. It really shouldn't. Just for the repetition of having prominent fan/writers work their way through the series (oh good, I thought, Time Team redux), it should only, really get 3 1/2, maybe four on my personal scale.

Then I read it. I read it and saw the love these two have for the series I love and--most importantly--they (especially Hadoke) recognize that what we consider a good Doctor Who story has as much to do with the context in which
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

A book tailored to serious fans (although even those casual New Millennium Whovians who spurn the old DVDs could do worse than experience Doctor Whos black and white era by proxy of Shearman and Hadoke). Generous critical analysis meets nostalgic love letter.
Paul
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Published in
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it

This is a book about watching the whole of Doctor Who in sequence, so of course it appealed to me. It is structured as correspondence between Robert Shearman, author of the Christopher Ecclestone episode Dalek, and Toby Hadoke, author of Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf and moderator of numerous recent DVD commentaries, spaced over the course of 2009, with the intention being to start on 1 January with An Unearthly Child and finish with The End of Time part 1
James
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read rather a lot of Doctor Who related non-fiction over the last few years, which has almost become a micro-genre unto itself- it's amazing how possible it's become to become a writer through sheer interest in this one sci-fi show. Doctor Who seems to have become such a touchstone for (British) sci-fi as a genre that you can almost use it as a cipher or sample unto itself.

In particular, if you catch enough attention as a fan/blog, you can literally write a book that is essentially just a
Sammy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I'm so glad to have this book! Rob Shearman (whose credits include the Eccleston episode "Dalek") and comic/actor Toby Hadoke sat through every episode of 'Doctor Who', from 1963 to 2009, and their diarised thoughts are here. Quite frankly, this is an amazing work. First off, both are clearly passionate 'Who' fanboys who also happen to have lives, careers and senses of humour. As a result, while they give us honest, slightly rose-coloured opinions, they also share so much more. The discussion ...more
Justin  K. Rivers
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Probably the best volume of criticism about 1960's Who. I've read quite a few, and although other books are useful in gauging conventional fan wisdom about various stories, Shearman and Hadoke go an extra step.

These two guys are entertaining, which is nice, but more importantly, they are good analysts. Both are experienced writers steeped in Doctor Who knowledge, which is an excellent combination for critiquing story structure and character arcs. They know what they're talking about not just in
Wendy
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctorwho
Rob Shearman and Toby Hadoke spent a year watching every episode of Doctor Who in order and writing down their thoughts about it. If your reaction to that idea is, "Wow, that sounds fun!" then this is the book for you; If your reaction is, "Wow, that is...exceptionally geeky," (or worse), then you should probably pass.

Shearman and Hadoke are possibly the perfect people to take on this project. Both are Doctor Who fans, and have been from an early age. Both are a bit obsessive. In addition to
Michel Siskoid Albert
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Running Through Corridors - Rob Shearman and Toby Hadoke's 2-episodes a day Doctor Who marathon (volume 1: The 60s) - on and off for a while now. But I knew I didn't want it to influence my own marathon's results, so I always kept the reading ahead of the watching by as much as I could. Sprinted for the finish line this week and well, they really got me. Both Rob and Toby, in each of their final pieces (about The War Games Part 10, Troughton's last episode), made me tear up. ...more
David
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely not a book for the causal Who dabbler, but for someone with three shelves groaning with Who DVDs and a double stacked bookcase nearly full of Who novels, it is a worthwhile read.

Rob and Toby take a joyful tour of the first decade of Doctor Who while actively seeking the best from each episode. I've come away from it with a new perspective (aiding a fair bit by the chronological viewing) on a number of stories that I'll keep with me for when I get around to rewatching them.

Rob mentions
Daniel Kukwa
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
Now THIS is the type of review book I wish Mark A. Altman's "Star Trek" review could have been. Two professionals & fans...two solid & talented writers...and a set of reviews filled with humour, wit, nostalgia, and love of "Doctor Who"...at its most sublime AND at its most ridiculous. If all future volumes are as fantastic as this premiere outing...we WHO fans are in for quite a treat.
Tim Drury
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Only at the beginning so far but already enjoying its conversational style.

Now 94 pages in am finding the best way to enjoy this book is to watch the story in question just before you read it's entry otherwise it can be hard to relate to the writers views.
Stuart Douglas
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny, clever and insightful, with two distinctive, witty voices. Unlike other recent Who guidebooks this is refreshingly devoid of pomposity, inaccuracy and the desire to show off. Highly recommended.
Kerry
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, 7, ebooks, media
Wow, it took me a long time to read this. I enjoyed it all the same, and I was never reading it as a straight read. I just read a bit here and there when I had the chance.

Hopefully Volume 2 will come out eventually.
Curtis King
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable book! Shearman and Hadoke make the whole thing feel as if you're chatting with a couple of ol' buds about your favorite TV show.

Can't wait for the next volume!
Andy
Jan 20, 2012
Stuart Clowes
Jul 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• TARDIS Eruditorum - A Critical History of Doctor Who Volume 2: Patrick Troughton (TARDIS Eruditorum, #2)
  • The Scruffy Drunk: The Wife in Space, Volume 2
  • TARDIS Eruditorum - A Critical History of Doctor Who Volume 3: Jon Pertwee
  • About Time 2: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 4 to 6)
  • About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 1 to 3)
  • TARDIS Eruditorum - An Unofficial Critical History of Doctor Who Volume 4: Tom Baker and the Hinchcliffe Years
  • TARDIS Eruditorum - A Critical History of Doctor Who Volume 1: William Hartnell (TARDIS Eruditorum, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Good Doctor
  • Doctor Who: Rose
  • The Miserable Git: The Wife in Space, Volume 1
  • Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion
  • Superman: Dark Knight over Metropolis
Robert Shearman has worked as a writer for television, radio and the stage. He was appointed resident dramatist at the Northcott Theatre in Exeter and has received several international awards for his theatrical work, including the Sunday Times Playwriting Award, the World Drama Trust Award and the Guinness Award for Ingenuity in association with the Royal National Theatre. His plays have been ...more

Running Through Corridors (2 books)
  • Running Through Corridors, Volume 2: The 70s - Rob and Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who

News & Interviews