Start by marking “Hope...the Best of Things” as Want to Read:
Hope...the Best of Things

Hope...the Best of Things

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

This special booklet guides readers toward a fresh perspective on suffering that is grounded in this beloved author's life experiences and journey with God.

For forty years, Joni Eareckson Tada has lived in a wheelchair as a spinal cord-injured quadriplegic. And the heaven-sent hope found only in Christ has saved her life.

Seeking to share stories and scriptural encouragem

Published June 30th 2008 by Crossway (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hope...the Best of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope...the Best of Things

Christine Meunier
This short read is focused on encouraging others to find their hope and strength in Christ; whatever their circumstances. Written by a quadriplegic, Joni details how devastated she was by her acquired condition and how it forced her to lean on God daily.

She now runs inspirational camps and training sessions for those who are disabled, encouraging them to use their disability to bring God glory.
Randall Hartman
I was attracted to this book because of its title. While initially I had a slight nagging concern about the title (since the Bible doesn't say that hope is the greatest of things), I decided to give the book a chance, especially considering the author.

I was particularly encouraged to read, “Oh, how we need to grasp the soul-settling hope found in the pages of God's Word--not only grasp it, but allow the hope of God to fill and overflow our hearts, transforming us into people who are confident an
Debbie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
"Hope...the Best of Things" is a short booklet aimed at people who feel hopeless, especially those with disabilities. The title comes from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption," and the scenes involving the quote are described in the book with the lesson that we need to get busy living or get busy dying. We also learn a bit about Joni's story and how she leans on God each day to get through the day.

She talked about how God allows bad things to happen so that we will learn to more fully depend upo
Connie Jacks
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
all of her books are wonderful.
Judith Noameshie
Humbling and eye opener to deal

This book opened my eyes to how to deal with suffering and too realize I am not the only in the world.
Leslie Yong
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is hope in Jesus

It's brief but sufficient to encourage those who are in the same plight or who are going through a time of trials, who needs solace and understanding.
It's also opens out doors and opportunities for those who are handicapped and is seeking helps or assistance.
I proposed that those who finds this booklet helpful, should check out further on other books by the same author.
J Layne
It is always wise to listen to someone who has suffered greatly, and especially when that person has allowed God to use their suffering for His glory. I always get blessed from reading Joni's writings.
Matt Hancock
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing short read on the hope God gives in the midst of suffering.
Jolyn
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encouragement for those who are suffering

Suffering comes in so many forms but God is there to help with them all. Joni provides hope and encouragement based on the Word of God for all who suffer.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
A great enforcer that everything happens for a reason. The author states that while in her wheelchair and feeling weak, she would lean on God and he would get her through. She is inspirational and I really enjoyed this quick read which was a greatly needed reminder at Christmas.
Anna
Basic truths written in a simple way--good reminders at the start of a new year.
Kirsten
This is such a book with a great reminder to never lose hope and that God is always there for you.
Cindy
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! I loved it and found it very helpful.
Jean-Daniel Veer
A quadriplegic talking about hope in suffering. How could it be bad?!
Hparks
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Count it all joy

Joni speaks from a position of authority when it comes to the topic of suffering, and even more so on the topic of joy.
Joey
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks, theology
Helpful and encouraging.
Nancy Brown
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope...so needed in this world

We live in a time of uncertainty. So many are suffering in so many ways. This book inspires hope for all and comfort for the future. A wonderful read.
Beau
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is a short little booklet, but it's not short on encouragement.
Lelia R. Terry
Dec 13, 2015
Jo Haag
Jan 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Seeing Beauty and Saying Beautifully: The Power of Poetic Effort in the Work of George Herbert, George Whitefield, and C. S. Lewis (The Swans Are Not Silent #6)
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • Meeting God at Every Turn
  • Craving Grace: Experience the Richness of the Gospel
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • Surprised by Suffering: The Role of Pain and Death in The Christian Life
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • Letter from a Christian Citizen: A Response to "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris
  • The Friendships of Women
  • Green Leaf In Drought
  • The Loveliness Of Christ
  • Create: Stop Making Excuses and Start Making Stuff
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness–Light for the Path
  • Get Real: Sharing Your Everyday Faith Every Day
  • The Two: The Story of the Original Siamese Twins
  • The Plan of Salvation
  • Adoption: What Joseph of Nazareth Can Teach Us about This Countercultural Choice
Previously published as Joni Eareckson

Joni Eareckson Tada is CEO of Joni and Friends, an organization that accelerates Christian outreach in the disability community. Joni and Friends provides practical support and spiritual help to special-needs families worldwide, and equips thousands of churches in developing disability ministry. Joni is the author of numerous bestselling books, including When
More about Joni Eareckson Tada...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.” 2 likes
“Oh, how we need to grasp the soul-settling hope found in the pages of God's Word--not only grasp it, but allow the hope of God to fill and overflow our hearts, transforming us into people who are confident and at peace with themselves, their God, and their circumstances.” 2 likes