Start by marking “Hideaway” as Want to Read:
Hideaway

Hideaway

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  28,662 Ratings  ·  471 Reviews
He was clinically dead after the accident-but was miraculously revived. Now Hatch Harrison and his wife approach each day with a new appreciation for life. But something has come back with Hatch from the other side. A terrible presence that links his mind to a psychotic's, so that a force of murderous rage courses through him.
Published July 5th 2005 by Berkley Books (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hideaway, please sign up.

Theresa Kana brown Yes it is mostly, but its also about how evil returned to the world after someone died and was brought back to life.

Fred
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, re-read
Koontz Group Read August 2017 - my second read

In the beginning, 2 California residents, Hatch (antique dealer) & Lindsey Harrison (artist) reminiscence the lose of their son, James(5), to cancer.
They go on a trip to forget their lose. In snowy truck accident, they crash thru a guard rail & go into a frigid river. Sheriff Redman jumps into the river & pulls them out. Lindsey is saved. But it appears Hatch drowned then saved in a hospital by obsessive Dr. Nyebern to prevent Hatch's b
Mike
Jun 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
Recommended to Mike by: Jerks
Koontz blows.
John
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
Koontz's novels range anywhere from awful to brilliant. After reading a couple of his more mediocre ones in high school, I had pretty much written him off as a poor man's Stephen King and moved on to other horror writers like Clive Barker and H.P. Lovecraft. Hideaway, though, showcases Koontz at the height of his talent, and it's a surprisingly powerful, intensely gruesome read. I decided to give it a chance--partly because I found it at a thrift shop for less than a dollar, and partly because I ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I believe this is the second time I have read Hideaway. I used an audiobook by Brilliance Audio to help me through this the second time and at the end of that program is a fun, insightful interview with Dean Koontz. I love the character of Regina. I love the setting of an abandoned amusement park. This story tells of interconnections and Koontz is not afraid to explore very dark territory.
Karen B.
Update: August 2017 read:
I just really want to add to my previous review; This time around I really enjoyed this book and what made it different for me was that I paid more attention to the ending and there were several things I liked about it.
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the characterization in this book. I have found that on the surface, Dean Koontz may appear to be a shallow, mass producer of books, but as I read more of them I realize how well-developed many of his characters are. He has a strong theme of the battle between good and evil in many of his books that I find I really enjoy. I particularly liked the big reveal at the end of this book that explained why the mian character Hatch was able to channel the demon Vassago. There was a movie made of ...more
Lindsey Lynn
3.5/5 Stars

I haven't dived into the horror or thriller genre much recently so I was hoping for something that would shock and amaze. I absolutely enjoyed the writing but the ending was just a bit far fetched in my mind so I didn't love it. I really wanted to spend more time in Jeremy's head, it was just so scary and fascinating when he spoke so politely with his victims. I'm sure I'll read another Koontz book in the future, might just be a while.
Helen Deakin
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a very interesting and well thought out book. Had me hooked and wanting to find out what was happening with ever page I turned. Had I had more reading time, this is one of those books I would have polished off in a couple days. A solid read.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Oh my. Another Dean Koontz novel. Everytime I pick one of his books up I know four or five things are going to happen.

1º There's always a puppy (in this one there wasn't - which surprised me)
2º The main characters are always perfect. They are always knights in shinning armour. They have no faults whatsoever. (In this book it was true)
3º The Evil doer is always Chaotic Evil. If this was Dungeons and Dragons the guy was that one guy that chaotic evil characters are afraid of. He is that evil.
Briana Patterson
Dean Koontz doing what he always does best. That's the impression that I was left with after reading this book. I enjoy the style and his ability to step out beyond the lines of what you might expect. Some of his stuff comes off as almost absurd, like an element of science fiction or fantasy dropping into what seemed to be a avereage modern society setting.

Hideaway is no exception to this.

However, I find that sometimes find that Koontz isn't quite at his best. I said this is what he does best,
Jim C
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dean Koontz is my favorite author and this book is my favorite one by him. In this one, Hatch is in a car accident that results in his death. Doctors revive him even though he was clinically dead for over an hour. Now he has a psychic link with an evil man who murders humans so he can portray them in a scene that he thinks is befitting.

One central theme in a Dean Koontz novel is good versus evil. This holds true for this book. This is a supernatural thriller with a spiritual message and it mixes
Pantelis Andreou
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first dean koontz novel and i can say that I'm pretty impressed by the overall result! It's a fast read and it has some moments of intensity (another novel by him 😆) it's completely different from the writing style of the King wich is a good thing, i though it was going to be a ripoff like some of the king novels. Some negatives are that his writing style it has something that makes the story drag on at some parts and especially at the first 50 pages or so.. and i kind of expected mor ...more
Mark R.
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of Dean Koontz's books when I was in high school. In the past few years, I've read a few, and they usually keep my interest. His novels feature a lot of similar scenes and scenarios (frequently an evil serial killer trying to track down a protagonist who's all heart, though with a possibly tortured past, and often a friendly canine companion), and some are great, some are OK, but they're never boring.

"Hideaway" was the first of his that I read, when I was fourteen, and has always be
Maciek
Hideaway continues the ongoing theme of Koontz's fiction: Good vs Evil. And if you've read some Koontz before, you know his stance.

To give the man some credit, the novel does open with a bang: a car accident that's vividly written and riveting, and almost justifies all the praise this work has received. But after the first 100 or so pages Hideaway looses it's appeal; even the excessive gore cannot overshadow Koontz's usual clumsy characterization and terrible dialogue. Koontz excessively draws o
Charissa Wilkinson
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, sci-fi, other
Overview: Hatch and Lindsey Harrison have somehow survived a horrific car accident. Now, filled with the hope of a new beginning, they seek to add a new member to their family. During the trial period of Regina’s adoption, visions and other weird happenings occur, making them wonder, did Hatch lose something during the accident? Or perhaps he gained a gift of some sort during his recovery.

Likes: The Harrisons seemed to have a good set of attitudes. Lindsey was able to roll with the flow. Regina
Rayroy
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this in high school, I guess Dean Koontz is a good author if you haven't read the likes of John Steinbeck, Don Delillo, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Coupland,Cormac McCrathy, Ken Kesey,or Martin Amis, to name a few. If you only get your books at airport gift shops, and you read mostly the likes of Janet Evanovich, John Grisham and Harlan Coban, what I would like to call the blockbuster writers, the Jason Bays and John Carpenters of the literature world. Writers that write for the big players, ...more
TQM Doctor
I've read this book many times but now that I'm a bit older (40's), I am a bit turned off by the incredible amount of evil exposed in this book by Koontz spending so much time in the mind of the demonic villain. Koontz uses a balance formula when he creates his "good" and "bad" characters. The contrast of the extremely evil encourages me to no only side with the good guy but to empathize to much a greater degree. An interesting book but not for the weak of spirit.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
The plot for this one is sort of akin to another serial killer running amok, which is a type of thriller Koontz seems to lean toward. However, this one has a supernatural edge of sorts and explores another type of subject not often discussed: resuscitative medicine.

Koontz does an admirable job with the research for this type of thing, as well as raising some interesting questions on the side effects of something such as this is successful. Also explored is good versus evil and gaining second cha
Bridget
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Wow.

Every time I read another Koontz book, I'm bowled over by the fact that HE GETS IT. He sees the supernatural in everything and everyone. He not only rejects the material consequences of evil ideas, but their very roots. In Koontz's worlds, as in real life, something is evil not because its fruit is rotten; its fruit is rotten because it is evil.

Now to more specific stuff. If you want to read a vampire story written for people with more than half a brain, this is it. Technically, the bad guy
Craig
Feb 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
Worst. Ending. Ever.
The beginning was okay but it slowly got worse from there. About two thirds through there is an unnecessarily long car/foot chase, (50-70 pages) from the suburbs to the outskirts of a city followed by an abrupt and silly conclusion within a paragraph during the showdown. I really cannot convey how furious I am after reading this nonsense.
As a bonus the edition I had contained a new afterword by Koontz. I had hoped he would apologize or offer some kind of explanation for such
Patrick Gibson
There was a time when I thought Dean Koontz wrote circles around Stephen King. He wasn’t famous. He had a cult following and he made you feel like you just discovered someone cool. He was the anti-King you could keep to yourself or share with a selected few. Koontz, of course, went the way of all flesh and began cranking them out and repeating himself. Fame? Well, if ‘Family Guy’ rips on you, fame has become your enemy. I haven’t read a Koontz novel since Odd Thomas became a regular character. T ...more
Alisha Kennedy
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After being dead for over 80 minutes a man is brought back by a resuscitation team. Upon being brought back he learns he has some kind of phsycic connection with a deranged killer. Feeling lost and unable to help the victims he sees in the visions, he realizes it's a two way connection and the killer is after his family. A steady paced read that brings hope, love, and meaning back into the lives of two people who had lost all hope.
Casey Bartsch
Dean Koontz is sort of mixed bag in general. His books are never complicated, instead choosing a single idea (usually) and fleshing it out into 400 pages. I try to always have a book I am reading for pleasure, finding it important for my writing, and life in general. Koontz is who I turn to when I actually don't feel like reading.

Like most of his books, I spent most of the time reading words in the background as I had my own thoughts. I never got lost because the story developed fairly slowly, l
Sonya
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hideaway by Dean Koontz was not a disappointment. It was thought provoking, thrilling, suspenseful and unfortunately gruesomely graphic like most of his books. He has "the very Good" characters and then "the really Bad One". In my opinion, the writer is able to find psychological meaning in this story. Meaning, in this case, how one's faith and belief in God before, during and after, changes or alters when the ultimate tragedy strikes in their life.
An evil killer on the loose, good people being
Christy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too grotesque for me but I suppose that is was evil is. I liked the little bit of the "supernatural" in it.
Frau Blücher
Ganz nett, aber unnötig geschwätzig. Und das geradezu hirnerweichend schwachsinnige Finale hätte die Wertung beinahe auf zwei Sterne gedrückt. Ich war deswegen wirklich stinkig heute morgen.
George
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Το κρησφύγετο", εκδόσεις Bell.

Σχεδόν εννιά μήνες πέρασαν από την τελευταία φορά που διάβασα βιβλίο του Ντιν Κουντζ, αν είναι δυνατόν! Λοιπόν, αυτό είναι το δέκατο βιβλίο του συγγραφέα που διαβάζω, μπορεί να μην είναι και από τα καλύτερά του, προσωπικά όμως με άφησε ικανοποιημένο. Πριν τρία χρόνια είχα δει την ταινία του 1995 με πρωταγωνιστή τον Jeff Goldblum, από την οποία δεν θυμάμαι και πολλές λεπτομέρειες, πέραν του ότι ήταν μάλλον χαμηλών προδιαγραφών, αλλά ό,τι πρέπει για να περάσει η ώρα.
Graham
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
I'm quite ambivalent towards Dean Koontz. I've read a few of his books, and while I find them pretty readable and straightforward, none of them have truly blown me away and left me wanting more. The last one I tried was THE HUSBAND, so I decided to go back to one of his earlier titles, the early-'90s effort, HIDEAWAY.

This is a book with plenty of flaws and detractions, but some truly compelling stuff hidden within the pages too. It starts off on a sour note, with an exceptionally long winded des
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
  • Invasion
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Mr. X

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Maybe from now on the bittersweet memory of a child lost would be only the sweet memory of a child loved. And maybe, henceforth, it would not be a memory so heavy that it oppressed the heart.” 2 likes
“an elevator. The doors of the elevator were gone, as were the cab and the lift mechanism, sold for reuse or for scrap.” 1 likes