Start by marking “Betrayed: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Betrayed: A Novel

Betrayed: A Novel (Butch Karp #22)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  393 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Awaiting trial in the Tombs, Manhattan’s infamous criminal detention complex, is Sharif Jabbar, the demagogic founder of a Harlem mosque. Charges against his terrorist attack on the city were dismissed once, and now that the Islam convert is being held on new allegations, New York District Attorney Roger “Butch” Karp is determined to bring him down. He faces formidable com ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Betrayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayed

Joy
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, on many levels this was entertaining, but I'm not sure the author meant to be amusing as often as he was. Let me start by saying I am a newcomer to Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi and their merry band of cohorts. It is probably both positive and challenging to engage at this point.

Let me start with the positive piece; once the plot took off I really enjoyed myself and watching a clearly skillful author weave the ends together was fun. I liked the character of Dirty Warren and thought he was
Viccy
Aug 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Say what you will about Robert Tanenbaum and hyperbole aside, the stories he tells are wildly entertaining. Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi should both be wearing red, white and blue tights, flying through the air to the tune of "Look, up in the air, it's a bird...." This time around, Butch, in his capacity as District Attorney for Manhattan, is trying an alleged Islamic terrorist and Marlene is working to save their friend, Warren Bennet, better known as Dirty Warren because of his Tourette's twi ...more
Zedsdead
Mar 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oy. I used to love the Karp-Ciampi series (this is somewhere around the 22nd entry). It was like Law & Order with colorful characters and more action.

Somewhere along the line the dialogue became drier and more expository than burned toast. (Yes, toast can be expository.) The good guys practically have wings and halos and float six inches off the ground; the bad guys are laughably, cartoonishly evil and often buffoonishly incompetent.

Used to be a fun series, with at least the occasional ATTEM
Jean
Aug 31, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a faithful reader of the Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi series but I may give it up after this weak (and irritating) effort. It took Tanenbaum a full 50 pages to rehash previous novels and introduce his cast of characters. Not much new here and the new plot lines were neither exciting or compelling. The courtroom scenes are good, as usual, but one of the trials was of a villian captured in a previous book and yet another opportunity to review past events. All of this may be good for reade ...more
Ed
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#22 in the NYC DA "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series. This 2010 entry is unfortunately #7 in the arc of terrorism (first domestic, then Islamic) started in Hoax (2004). Series regulars will recognize regular character Dirty Warren as the newsstand owner with Tourette's Syndrome and applaud the segment of the novel dealing with Marlene's defense of him.

NYC DA "Butch" Karp & Marlene Ciampi series - Butch is prosecuting Sharif Jabbar for the torture / murder of a young woman. Marlene def
Terry
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-vernie
We really enjoy the Karp-Ciampi clan including all of the interesting and adventurous friends. In terms of character development and interactions Tanenebaum scored big points again in this book. As the stories unfold twists and turns kept us riveted but initially we felt that the trial sequence was slow and dry. As things progressed the pace quickened and one minute we were gripped with fear and the next sighing with relief and then laughing at an interaction between some of the characters. All ...more
Lynn
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Tanenbaum has a point of view, and he never misses an opportunity to hit you over the head with it. I found some of his sections about the law to be pedantic. Nevertheless, he's a good writer and Butch Karp and his wife Marlene are great characters. The mystery in this one was really good.
Peter
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is a lawyer mystery with the most interesting of characters. ithink you would probably have to read the book bnfore this one to understand all that takes place..this book is still a stand alone book that in my opinion if you like this genre it is a very good read... i gave it four stars maybe it should have been four and a half...
Mark
Like comfort food, it is always satisfying to return to the Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi family...the installment has Butch putting the nails in the coffin of a radical terrorist on trial and Ciampi derfending Dirty Warren of murder...the political insights on a variety of issues also entertain...VERY SATISFYING!!!
Jeff Dickison
Okay, but nothing to shout about. To me, Tanenbaum has gotten fairly formulistic. Some of his recurring characters are more irritating than interesting, and I agree with another reviewer that it is time to give up the terroristic nonsense. Having said that, there was some excitement and a nice last line.
Joyce
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two trials, one with Butch Karp officiating with a militant terrorist, the other with Marlene Ciampi defending Dirty Warren on a murder charge in the suburbs. Typical Tanenbaum plot twists, but this time it's more of a return to the original Butch and Marlene rather than the extended family. A great summer's read.
James
I'm always up for a Butch Karp/Marlene Ciampi saga. I've fallen behind the ins and outs of the Karp family, Lucy is grown up, married and working for some secret agency. The twins were barely mentioned. Still, Betrayed was a great read.
Tim
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Robert Tanenbaum is a much better writer when he sticks less with black muslims and more with, "fixers, blackmailers, torettes syndrome, murderers and vigilantes!" Too bad to much emphasis is placed on muslims and not enough on the other excellent plots. 5 of 10 stars
Carolyn
Still a page-turner, but after 22 books in this series, I am finding them pretty predictable as well as having to spend quite a bit of time on the backstory, all of which I know. Three more in the series. I think I'll wait a while before going on with it.
Brian Cowie
Tanenbaum's latest Karp novel failed to deliver on several points. While the premise made for an interesting read his tendancy to digress into an almost 'preachy' dialogue over issues like America's right to bear arms and Muslim traditions took away from an otherwise adequate novel
Elli
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast action, finely crafted plot. There were xome holes in the situations and characters. Things were either too too good or too too bad. A little bit too far into an unreality. Yet that didn't stop me from being reluctant to put the book down until I finished the final page!
Lynne
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It may be time for Tannenbaum to weed out a few of his recurring characters. Oh, and maybe quit already with the terrorism scare stuff. I think it is totally acceptable for him to just have a good old-fashioned murder case now and again.
Dawn
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book got better as it went along...didn't realize it was part of a series of the same characters so I was starting anew but it was entertaining. Not very realistic from a legal perspective but it was something different.
Sherree
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had almost stopped reading Tanenbaum's books, because I felt like I was reading the same one over and over. I'm glad I read this one, though. It was nice to read one that didn't have a member of the Karp-Ciampi clan in mortal danger.
Jenene
I love every single one of the characters in this series. From David Grale and the mole people who live under the subway to Marlene Ciampi, the wife who has learned to ask for help defending abused women!
Kristin
This is one of my favorite series, but I felt like something was missing on this one. The plot was great, but I missed the interaction between Butch and Marlene and the kids. Loved learning more about Dirty Warren though.
Fredrick Danysh
Government witnesses are being murdered and Butch Karp's family is in danger. Dirty Warren is arrested for murder in another jurisdiction and the prosector is rushing to keep him in jail. Assassins are ate work.
Mailmanr5
Thought that this one is a little less enjoyable than all the others in this series. Always better when Lucy & Tran are featured.
Dad
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read,but unrealistic at times, even for NYC.
Barbara Hanna
Love this series with DA Roger Karp.
Mikeegan43
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read every one of the books in this series. Great story, incredible characters. I'm tempted to go on a paperback spree and get all of them.
Hrn1947
Not bad, but after waiting this long. I expected more.The usual list of charactures are mentioned, but it's a Marlene book. Also the part about Goldie and the assesian was pretty hokey.
Bill Gordon
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vannessa Anderson
Betrayed has a brilliantly written courtroom drama.
JodiP
May 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was so laughable in its poor characterization and cartoonish plot. I didn't finish it.
  • The Copper Bracelet
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • The Judgment
  • The Hunted
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)
  • Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride, #5.5)
  • The Spire
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • One More Little Problem (Zelah Green, #2)
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • Where Sea Meets Sky (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #6)
  • Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #4)
  • Shifting Love (The Foundation, #1)
  • Embrace the Struggle: Living Life on Life's Terms
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #4)
  • The Expediter (Kirk McGarvey, #13)
  • Diary of a South Beach Party Girl
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)