Start by marking “How to Beat Your Dad at Chess” as Want to Read:
How to Beat Your Dad at Chess

How to Beat Your Dad at Chess

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

This is not just a book for kids - for ‘Dad’ read any opponent who beats you regularly! This book teaches the 50 Deadly Checkmates - basic attacking patterns that occur repeatedly in games between players of all standards. Each mating motif is carefully and simply explained, and several illustrative examples are given. A final test enables the reader to grade his pattern r
Published October 1st 1998 by Gambit Publications (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How to Beat Your Dad at Chess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Beat Your Dad at Chess

notgettingenough
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: games
What a great title and although Manny pointed out the obvious sexist implications, 'How to beat your parent at chess' just doesn't have the same ring to it. Furthermore, I imagine you just don't get the same fun crushing your mother as you would your father.

And yet, observing that fathers play their children for short periods to teach them and then retire the moment the kids start winning - I don't think my family was exceptional in that - I suggest that Murray should write the obvious sequel:
Jon
May 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: young chess players with dads who aren't very good at chess
Shelves: chess
I got this book for Alex (my son). It didn't work.

Better titles would be "How to Lose a Little Less Quickly to Your Dad In Chess" or "How to Get Excited Thinking You Will Finally Beat Your Dad In Chess But Then Not"
Manny
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Sexist trash!

I have a plus score against the author (1.5-0.5), so I can say what I like.
Andrea
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Parece un libro para chicos, pero todo lo contrario! Brillantes problemas seleccionados por temas! Altamente recomendable!!
Simon Deimel
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book presents 50 classic mating patterns. Not only for children, but for beginners and intermediate players in general.
Kevin Turner
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Despite the childish name and cartoonish cover, this is one of the better instructional chess books for beginners. It focuses on recognizing and executing common checkmate patterns.
Eduardo
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, did beat my dad after reading this book. So yeah, five stars.
Andrew Scott
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it! A present from my Dad making it that more helpful. Although it seems daunting to start with once you get into the flow of the terminology and how to access the key points of each of the 50 or so moves you'll find more confidence to take on that one figure who always seems to beat you at the ultimate gentlemans game. Watch out Dad!
Vikram
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The book is just a simple collection of mating patterns and endgames organized by theme. The smothered mates in particular were well designed problems worth working through. The title is a bit misleading - the book is 100% tactical without any positional training, which leaves this reader still unable to beat his dad all the time.
Alec
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Uncomplicated and fun to read book on 50 deadly checkmates it's a 21st century version of The Art of Checkmate by Renaud and Khan.

Makes a nice gift for a Chess Player in the family or someone who enjoys playing casually.
Jue
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cracking little book on various checkmate presntations.
I will be referring to this little bible over and over, a great book.
Ed Ball
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
If you like the game of chess, this may interest you. With 50 different types of mates to test your opponent with!
Stuart Berman
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Great book to help kids with chess
Chasbhawk
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good examples of employing chess strategies to finish games. Would be good to re-read occasionally.
Jim
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
i'm a grown man but find this book to be very helpful in terms of chess tactics that win big gains. I have read this through at least 4 times to sharpen up.
Lukasz Chmiel
Jan 03, 2016
Owen
Sep 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess
  • When God Interrupts: Finding New Life Through Unwanted Change
  • Beauty in the Word
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • The Kings of New York: A Year Among the Geeks, Oddballs, and Geniuses Who Make Up America's Top High School Chess Team
  • How to Speak How to Listen