Start by marking “Self-Reliance and Other Essays” as Want to Read:
Self-Reliance and Other Essays

Self-Reliance and Other Essays

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  14,815 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
A beautiful new edition of the most important writings of America's greatest philosopher, Ralph Waldo Emerson. Includes "The American Scholar," "Divinity School Address," "The Over-Soul," "Self-Reliance," "The Poet," and "Thoreau."
Published February 23rd 2010 by Createspace (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Reliance and Other Essays, please sign up.

Bruno Who would know better than thy? "Whatever have been thy failures hitherto, be not afflicted, my child, for who shall assign to thee what thou hast…moreWho would know better than thy? "Whatever have been thy failures hitherto, be not afflicted, my child, for who shall assign to thee what thou hast left undone?" HDT(less)

HeatRush
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ralph Waldo Emerson is the greatest writer who ever lived. I carry his collected essays around like a Mormon carries the Book of Mormon. Though I don't ride a bike. No one has every offered up more wisdom, with such jazzy tempo and energetic flow. He has a more extensive vocabulary than Shakespeare, and I believe he was the first writer who suffered from A.D.D. It is like the great UCLA professor Coulecourcio once said, "It's as if his sentences don't know each other." I appreciate that he doesn ...more
Shelly
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
when i read this i was 20 and under the impression that what was shitty about the world and people could be changed and that me and my friends could make an impact for the better on people just by talking to them and reasoning with them.
since then i've lost god and watch w "win" back to back elections, so I guess you could say i'm a bit more jaded.
still, i like a lot of what emerson says. self-reliance cannot be underestimated. if only we chided ourselves for our mistakes instead of placing blam
Desiree Finkbeiner
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic! I had a natural disposition from an early age to stand on my own ground apart from the crowd. I've embraced my own personal truth without the need to force my values and opinions upon others. This philosophy has awarded me popularity (and in some cases, intense enemies) throughout my life. There is no happiness quite like self-acceptance and the ability to be comfortable with one's own personality and conviction of beliefs. Ralph Waldo Emerson illuminates these truths with great vigor ...more
Yann
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, philosophie

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) est un écrivain américain, chef de file d'un mouvement de pensée appelé "Transcendantalisme", sorte de déisme teinté de philosophie, et qui connut une certaine vogue. Cet ouvrage comprend six essais écrits par lui:

La Nature est un vibrant hommage à la création dont le spectacle doit nous emplir de délice, nous fournit l'ensemble des commodités nécessaires et superflues, nous charme par la variété de ses grâces. Il avance cette thèse paradoxale que le langage est u
Hana
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
Do I always agree with him? Of course not. In particular, his emphasis on 'self-reliance' rather than wisdom handed down and tested through time has always struck me as fool-hardy.
But his thinking is so central to American identity and is so beautifully argued that it is worthwhile studying no matter what your perspective.
Iris
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
"Self-Reliance" is an essay that captures the independent spirit behind many Americans, but it overlooks the sinfulness of people. Emerson calls on each person to listen to his own intuition rather than society, membership organizations, or religious traditions. He believes that each person can achieve his greatest genius by listening to himself.

In the middle section of the essay, Emerson presents his arguments for his belief. The support seems to largely be based on a faulty understanding of G
Lindsey
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoso would be a man, must be a non-conformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.

It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, a
Brad Lyerla
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emerson's Essay on Self-Reliance is the classic argument for non-conformity. Everyone should read it if only for the quotes. Check it out: "Whosoever would be a man must be a non-conformist." Or how about: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."

It's best to read this essay when you are 19, but no one is too old to enjoy this classic.
Lex
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I reread Self-Reliance shortly after quitting Facebook, and then re-read it again twice more, in disbelief that apparently the issues I have with FB are not so removed from Emerson's times.... this is classic and timeless.
Andrea
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Ralph Waldo! I can only understand 1 out of every 5 things he says, but the parts I am getting are brilliant. I hear the American Scholar essay is fantastic. Can't wait to read it.
Caroline
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nathaniel Hawthorne best captured Emmerson's Transcendentalism in his short story The Celestial Railroad (inspired by Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress). He says, "He [i.e. Giant Transcendentalism] shouted after us, but in so strange a phraseology that we knew not what he meant, nor whether to be encouraged or affrighted."

Emerson’s essays are filled with feel-good rhetoric on being “one with the Oversoul.” He lectures on “originality” while borrowing ideas from Eastern religions and insists upon “reli
Renee
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Ne te quaesiveris extra."

i loved these essays in high school despite having to read emerson for a presentation. this is one book i really wish were here on my shelf and not back in indiana.

"So use all that is called Fortune. Most men gamble with her, and gain all, and lose all, as her wheel rolls. But do thou leave as unlawful these winnings, and deal with Cause and Effect, the chancellors of God. In the Will work and acquire, and thou hast chained the wheel of Chance, and shalt sit hereafter
Kathryn
I'm a huge Emerson fan and, while many do not consider him the finest in terms of literary merit (though I enjoy his prose) and he himself felt Thoreau would be more the poetic prophet of Transcendentalism, Emerson's style and philosophy are dear to my heart. (PS I read many other misc. essays and books by/about Emerson and Thoreau for one of my MA term papers, so if anyone happens to be interested, let me know and I'll pull up my old Works Cited page!)
Justin Tyler
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The essay "Self-Reliance" has been immensely important to me. If ever you are going through tough times, or feel that you are not being treated as well as you deserve, or fear that you are too dependent on another person for your happiness, or are just wondering about what it really means to have personal identity, read this essay. It's incredible.
Claudia
Sep 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emerson's essays are best read when:

A) You're of the thought that the world can transcend its troubles, be changed for the better, and that you, personally, can be the agent of much of the change.

B) You've become older and jaded and need to be reminded that at one time you thought the world could be changed for the better and that you could be the agent of much of the change.
Matt
So dense yet lucid and poetic and rigorous....you can't get your arms around him, no matter how hard you try.

I've been coming back to this stuff for years in short but deeply felt dives into Emerson's humming catacombs.

I do believe what Bloom says when he calls Ralphie-boy "the mind of America"....it's all there
Seth Hanson
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure and simple... "Self-Reliance" was life-altering. My personal philosophy of life is largely grounded in the ideals that are so well articulated and espoused in this short work. It's like scripture to me.
Kevin Wooden
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow....When I read someone as gifted as RWE, I feel like Mr. Potato head. Have I ever really had an original thought? Very inspirational and also very challenging. KLW
Franta
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Abigail
Okay so I really have not read this entire book. I only read Self-Reliance and not the other essays becasue it was for school, and I have sooo many other books to read that I just cannot read the other essays maybe some other time though.
Christian
I didn't read this exact edition. Mine had 12 essays in it, including Self-Reliance. I'm not really sure why that particular essay is so popular. I guess people take away the message of: believe in yourself and don't worry about what the critics in your life say. That's great, but Emerson seems more arrogant and extreme than that. For example: "To believe your own thought, to believe that what it true for you in your private heart is true for all men - that is genius." No, it isn't. That's one o ...more
Adam
Emerson's transcendental philosophy is interesting in how it sidesteps a lot of the problems associated with similar views. Though very similar in its emphasis on the power of the imagination to Romanticism, and though Emerson makes some really outrageous claims, he has a manner of writing and argumentation that is so assured and clear that sometimes it doesn't matter that he's wrong, or at least limited, because he's inspiring in his wrongness, and wrong only in a rigorous philosophical sense. ...more
Debi
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Many of Emerson's ideas, are existent in most every sector of society, especially individualism...of which America was essentially founded. Yet, it would be a mistake to take too many of his ideas to heart: namely self-righteousness. We are not gods, and to propose that possibility is ludicrous; however, the basis of "Self-Reliance" yields to the soul that would neglect conformity in the hopes of extinguishing legalistic thoughts and behaviors. Those interested in philosophy should read these es ...more
Erin
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-philosophy
Being a non-conformist is fine. But that doesn’t mean you are exempt from the moral code of the society in which you live, or that you are superior to those around you. Or that that God is speaking through the genuine actions of your pure, undying soul. After reading “Self-Reliance”, I understand why so many reviews of this essay begin by saying that this was formerly a much-loved read during high school. The main ideas here are straight from the diary of an angst-ridden, over-privileged, self-a ...more
Mark Dungey
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
I'm not that big into non-fiction. It's strange as I enjoy learning as a general rule, but non-fiction is too close to being like a textbook to me. Emerson, thanks to the time; when the written word held more value, and more thought was given due to the effort it took to write it; put forth the ideal of America, particularly through literature. Due to him authors like Melville, Hawthorne, Whitman, Thoreau, Douglas, and, to a lesser extent Beecher-Stowe brought a new wave of modernity to literatu ...more
Jenna
"There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till. The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has t ...more
diamondkim
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Yes, Emerson's elegant writing can be a bit 19th-century cumbersome, but look past it to the ideas and principles. His philosophy won't appeal to everyone, and I disagree with a few of his thoughts and arguments (for example, his opinion that traveling is a fool's paradise) but they are all thought provoking and profound, especially in Self Reliance and Friendship. 5 stars for how provocative the essays all are.
Emile
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The essay 'Self-reliance' remains one of the most influential pieces of material that I have had to guide me in the development of my own character. So dense and spare in its proclamations, it gave me a call to arms and inspiration to become a good and true man while trusting me to determine who that man will be.
Alen
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** this has nothing to do with the essays, but it is an important note**
I just started reading "The Gay Science" by Nietzsche, and the author pointed out that Nietzsche is very much a fan of Emerson and Emerson somewhat of Nietzsche, which I had never connected the dots, even with the "cave thing". Thus, losing my self proclaimed title of "highly perceptive ninja".
Liz
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"it was amazing" is kind of a bunk way to rate this book. I've loved Emerson's essays since I was introduced to them as a teenager and find that many of them are worth revisiting again and again every couple of years (if you're of a sappy nature, they are especially enjoyable to read while sitting under a tree in on a springtime afternoon). Solid and comforting.
  • Civil Disobedience and Other Essays
  • The Frontier in American History
  • Strenuous Life
  • The Young Man's Guide
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Boy Scouts of America : The Official Handbook for Boys (Reprint of Original 1911 Edition)
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Philosophy and Social Hope
  • Fear and Trembling/Repetition
  • The Essays
12080
in 1803, Ralph Waldo Emerson was born in Boston. Educated at Harvard and the Cambridge Divinity School, he became a Unitarian minister in 1826 at the Second Church Unitarian. The congregation, with Christian overtones, issued communion, something Emerson refused to do. "Really, it is beyond my comprehension," Emerson once said, when asked by a seminary professor whether he believed in God. (Quoted ...more
More about Ralph Waldo Emerson...

“To be great is to be misunderstood.” 611 likes
“Be yourself; no base imitator of another, but your best self. There is something which you can do better than another. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. Do the things at which you are great, not what you were never made for.” 511 likes