Start by marking “Have Gun, Will Play” as Want to Read:
Have Gun, Will Play

Have Gun, Will Play

Two gunslingers, one little girl, a big bag of toys... and murder.

Mick and Casey McKee aren't exactly your average gunslingers. He's young and inexperienced, and has much too sunny a disposition for a gunman. She's younger, meaner, less experienced, but a much better shot.

When they get a job protecting the daughter of a stagecoach king--and her grand collection of toys--it
Published (first published June 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Have Gun, Will Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have Gun, Will Play

Start your review of Have Gun, Will Play
Robert Duperre
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5 out of 5

I pride myself on being someone who will read – and enjoy – anything that comes my way. So when “Have Gun, Will Play” came up on my TBR list, I was struck by the awareness that, outside the Lone Ranger adventures my mother would read to me as a wee lad, I have never read a western. Ever. Not that I’ve been actively avoiding them – “Blood Meridian” has intrigued me, given my adoration of Cormac McCarthy – they just haven’t come my way, and I haven’t searched them out. Consider w
Eric_W
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, westerns
This is an example of stumbling across an author in an entirely different setting, checking her out, and for purely non-literary reasons picking up one of her books.

I’m glad I did, for this book was a charming read. It’s about a young married couple of gunslingers (certainly a unique premise) that had been mentored by a famous lawman and who now offered their services - to the good guys. The relationship between Mick and Casey is marvelous.

I think she was seventeen. She wouldn’t tell me her bir
L.C. Evans
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this entertaining and well-written book. This is not a typical western where a lone hero rides into town and saves a rancher's daughter from someone who's trying to steal water rights. Have Gun, Will Play features a pair of unlikely guns for hire. There's a mystery plot involving stolen jewels and the kidnapping of a little girl. Mick and Casey, the gunslingers, are a young married couple. The story is told from Mick's point of view. Though Mick is young and naive, he's actually a lot sh ...more
Sherwood Smith
Jun 27, 2010 added it
Shelves: fiction
Camille Laguire's Mick and Casey are one of the most unusual, and charming, couples I've ever read. These stories are set in the wild west. Mick and Casey sometimes ride the edge of the law . . . which is an amorphous thing, as sometimes the "law" is merely who has the most force. They solve mysteries, some of which are very funny, as well as adventurous. The stories are told in a deceptively laconic style yet are quite cinematic. In fact, Mick and Casey's adventures would make a very good telev ...more
Cathy
Feb 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Well. That was three or four hours of my life utterly wasted. When you look back on the books you’ve read over the year, there is undoubtedly one, if not two, perhaps even three, that stand out because they’re outstanding and one (or more) because they are…not so outstanding. This one was the lemon for my year so far.

It’s a western. Two young (very young) gunslingers, Mick and Casey, are hired to keep a rather precocious little girl, Laurie, and her aunt safe, as her Daddy is an unpopular bigwig
Tracy
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Like other reviewers, I am not a big reader of Westerns. I've read a grand total of zero of them before Have Gun, Will Play. It's not because I've avoided them; my interests generally tend towards old books. 14th century or before.

What drew me to this book was the promise of mystery and the playfulness of its description. I needed a book to get me to fall in love with novels all over again. This was the book.

The main character, Mick, is a young, brash hero. He makes for an interesting narrator
Kristine
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fun mix of western and mystery featuring the adorable young gunslinger couple Mick and Casey McKee. The mystery was well-done, but my favorite parts were getting to know Mick and Casey and their unlikely relationship better (they also star in some short stories and a novella, which I had already read) and watching their reactions to their first puppet show and the fancy toys belonging to the little girl they've been hired to guard.
Carol Evans
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this western-mystery. Mick and Casey have become one of my favorite couples.
Vicki Tyley
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
"The town was full of donkeys."

The opening sentence sets the tone for this quirky and very entertaining western mystery.
Nakia
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I'm always surprised when I enjoy westerns. This was short, sweet and humorous. Finished it in a day.
Mito