Start by marking “Table for Two” as Want to Read:
Table for Two

Table for Two

In Table for Two, a corner table at a quiet coffee shop takes center stage, the latest release from Summit Books author Marla Miniano. The table is the setting for pivotal moments in the lives of the main characters—who, as it seems, are quite the lovelorn bunch. First, there’s the long-time couple on the verge of calling it quits after college graduation. Then there’s the ...more
Paperback, 1st, 144 pages
Published 2010 by Summit Books

Start your review of Table for Two
Monique

Original post here.

Table For Two is a compilation of short stories about love, told by different characters with different gripes issues and alternating between first and third POVs. I found it interesting in the sense that practically all facets of love were tackled, and the prose was wonderful, too.

Fresh is about a young couple, Mandy and Tristan, who find themselves at a crossroads in their relationship after college graduation. Timeout is about Jill's rather disastrous dating history,
Cary
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Cary by: Ingrid
Shelves: 2012
Maybe I should start lurking in a deserted cafe. Who knows i might meet him there or rather, he might find me there. :)
Kat
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
First read: April 22, 2012. Rating: 3 stars
Re-read: July 12, 2015. Rating: 3.5 stars

So I re-read Table for Two, coz I had to find small books in my shelf for the #CramAThon thing happening over this summer.

This is a really thin book, with only a little over a hundred pages. I remember seeing this in Cosmopolitan magazine's recommended reads for young adults and adults, alike. It was good, I must say. Not super, but it was a work of art in itself. :)

This novella is actually about different
Maria Ella
"When you think about it, everything is fleeting. Every second of every minute of every hour. The race and rush and the choices and the chances."

When we are in love we take in every moment. We enjoy every tidbits of it and we treasure them in our hearts. After opening yourself up to the possibility, experience every phase, and end every escapade... we still believe in the magic and works and its wonders.

How love and loss and hope give meaning to our lives - that is what Marla weaved and made
Tina
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Maria
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maria by: Tina
I recommend Table for Two.

*****

I'm not much of a lover of stories about heartbreak, especially about a girl who can't find the strength to leave a stagnant relationship. or a guy who just can't seem to get that the girl will never see him as a boyfriend material. But Table for Two managed to endear itself to me despite that.

I was nearing the end when I realized the author will connect the characters from all the short stories. The key to enjoying this book is to read more from what the author
Alyssa Janine Busia
I've lost my copy of this book but I love it. Though, I can't remember the exact story but I know, deep inside my heart, that this book was one of my fave.
Cienne Olaes
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
AennA
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
My thoughts, inspired by the book.

An uber-due review of a book I read in January, 2012.

This is my first book of Marla Miniano’s writings. Table for Two is divided into five parts: Fresh; Timeout; All the Best; This Closure; and Table for Two, this is about people with different experiences in searching, waiting and finding love.

Where love will find you? In this book, it is on this corner table at a coffee shop, Café Carmelo. This table for two witnessed many things, as different people occupy
Chachic
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Originally posted here.

Based on the summary above, you'd think I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the book is composed of short stories about different people and yet I was. For some reason, I thought it was going to be one cohesive story with just multiple characters. As a result, I was confused at the start and I wasn't able to connect with the characters as much as I'd hope because the narratives about them were so short. Also, the stories have varying points of view that added to the
Fiona
I’m not much of a lover of stories about heartbreak, especially about a girl who can’t find the strength to leave a stagnant relationship. Or a guy who just can’t seem to get that the girl will never see him as a boyfriend material. But Table for Two managed to endear itself to me despite that.

Fresh, 3 stars. Mandy & Tristan. The ending was not satisfying.
Timeout, 2 stars. Jack & Jill & Robbie. This was hopeful.
All The Best, 2 stars. Carl & Kim. A little vague.
This Closure, 5
Aiza^^
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
it's good..it's short, and there are overlapping of characters ,though you'll still love each of them:P
I'm single..and still looking for my one and only and so the title of this book really...and just caught my attention..:)
it's a good read..there are 5 stories but in the end you'll find out that they are all destiny inclined.

i loved the first part..the fourth and the last...

it made me realize that we all have our own love stories..
there are times that hurts and pains are all part of it..
and
Dawn
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Actually its 3 and a half stars...

Just as I predicted, and as the summary provided, the book was a collection of short stories which circles around a single coffee shop. It seems that this magical place is the lone witness to the different stories. The book consist of five short stories entitled: Fresh, Timeout, All the Best, This Closure and Table for Two. Stories concerning heartbreak, search for love, growing up, the courage to say goodbye, the magic of hello and that realization that
Abelle
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-like
Started each short story but most of them failed to hold my attention.
Janus the Erudite Artist
Table for Two has five (5) stories squeezed into this little book. Having not read the synopsis printed on the back of the book, I had no idea that this was written with various characters and settings. When I got through the first story, I thought the second part was a continuation of the pervious story. It got pretty weird to me that it was a sudden change in the character’s portrayal. That’s when I decided to check the back... whoops! My bad.

So let’s dissect:

The first story is entitled
Darlyn
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Featuring five short stories about relationships in general, Marla Miniano’s Table for Two is the perfect book to curl up in bed with on a rainy day, a steaming cup of hot choco right beside you.

The book begins with Fresh which focuses on a couple on the verge of breaking up. Fresh was peppered with little details that made the characters come alive, and I found it to be the strongest one in the entire collection.

The second short story Timeout revolves around a young teacher who accepted a dare
Nicka (Read by Nicka)
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A new day begins with purpose, and with promise.

This book has five different stories about love, the first story is entitled Fresh this is about a young couple, Mandy and Tristan who are in the brink of their relationship because of some changes in their lives since they have graduated from college.Timeout is about a girl named Jill and her disastrous past relationships that lead her brother Charles to give her words of wisdom.All the best Carl disapproves his bestfriend's marriage with Vicky
Jenna
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book was kinda a compilation of short stories where everybody somewhat ends up in the not-so-famous cafe, and all their paths intersect. The book is a mix of stories about breaking up, taking your time, letting go, judging others not realizing your own relationship has problems, closures, and waiting for the right person. The ending was cute when the heartbroken people ended up with each other. What made me like this book more was the fact that it showed all sides of love stories--deciding ...more
Kay
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
2.5/5 stars.

This is a collection of about 5 short stories with intertwining characters and all the stories have a setting at a quiet coffee shop where important moments have happened for their relationships.

I think my main problem with this book was that none of the characters were memorable so I found myself confused when previous characters appeared in later parts of the book. I think that the characters are relatable but I couldn't relate as much, just because I was confused and I think this
Judie
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like how the stories were presented but admittedly, I did not like all the characters. It makes you think one simple truth -- that everyday, we come across people, whether we are aware of it or not, each with experiences that make or break them; our paths may cross, or we may just lead parallel lives, but whatever happens, we should be aware that we could make a difference in someone's life.

My favorite quote from the book:

"Falling in love and trying to make someone fall in love with you, and
Anne
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like the concept of having one setting where a variety of characters interconnect. The story felt natural and fluid. This Closure was the best short story for me out of all the others. However the use of the first person POV was kinda confusing, especially in the 3rd story where it was told from a guy's point of view. I thought I was looking at a girl since the other 2 stories came from that perspective. Then the last one was told from a 3rd person POV. I would've preferred all stories told in ...more
Emiluz
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
In my quest to diversify my book authors list, I tried this Filipino author who writes for a chick-targeted publication. I was pleasantly surprised how neat and good the book turned out to be. Ok, so it's a chicklit, but who says that all chicklits should be generalized as ultra sappy and sex-centered?

"Table for two" is a very short and feel-good novella with a good narrative flow and finely-constructed theme. If you've ever had your heart broken or had ever been confused about this crazy thing
wanderinggene
I have a soft spot for stories set in cafes and bookstores. This book is one of those. A collection of 5 short stories that in one way or another connected to each other. Sadly it's not as intertwined as I hoped for.

The book started with an ending, finding oneself, friendship, unrequited affection and lastly a possibility of something new.

Out of all the stories, I liked the first story 'Fresh' the most despite the fact that it left me feeling melancholy.

Table for Two is a quick and cozy read.
Venessaa ♡☮♫
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

I liked this book a lot. Believe it or not, I kinda thought the book would lack some kind of effect on me. But it didn't. Somehow, the book inspired me that love will come. If not now, maybe later. The stories of the main characters evolved around the deserted coffee shop. This is the place where they'd meet, etc.
I really enjoyed the book and finished it in less than the usual duration I get when I read books. I gave this book a four because although I got really confused at some parts, the
kb
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am sad to report that this fell a little short for me. It was promising, telling five different forms of love all set in an obscure café hidden between a Korean grocery shop and (something else I can’t remember, sorry). But I was expecting all of the stories, or characters, to come together mala-Jologs, and it was not met. That was probably why I didn't enjoy this as much as I should have, lovely the writing is.
Kristine Soria
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
it was a nice light read though most of the stories jumped too fast. the thing i like about this was, the whole time i was reading this, i kept thinking how nice it would have been if it was a short film. i swear this deserves to be a movie more rather than diary ng panget, she's dating the gangster and shit.
Erika Sagum
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"How many people find each other everyday?"

This is the best Filipino easy read for me. I like the transitions and the connections!! If I could quote every line from this book, believe me, I WOULD. And if they release a hardbound copy (even if I have the softcopy already), I will.not think twice and purchase the book again.

TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS BOOK. TAKE IT.
Cassandra Javier
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really, really am a big fan of interconnecting stories, chick-literature, and women who love to read...and this has all of those themes in it. A great read from one of my favorite Filipina authors. If you're no Filipino, it's fine, coz the book is in English hihi, and you'll definitely fall in love with it. <3
Marla Ricafrente
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This has got to be my favorite book of Marla Miniano. The stories were way different compared to The Every Girl's Guide series and it just made me love the author more. Wanted to write a bunch of short stories as well after reading this. Loved loved loved it :)
paudesilva
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it

Cute stories, but I kinda wish that every sub-story will lead or connected to the next story but apparently the first and the last one are the easiest to connect with. But nonetheless, I like the Mandy and Lucas story, I think they deserve to be together. I feel you, Mandy, I really do.

• Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran! (Kikomachine Komix, #6)
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, # 5)
  • Elmer
  • Naermyth (Naermyth, #1)
  • Catch A Falling Star
  • Bones of Contention: The Andres Bonifacio Lectures
  • My Imaginary Ex (Chic Manila, #1)
  • Philippine Cartoons: Political Caricature of the American Era, 1900-41
  • The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade
  • In the Shadows of the American Century: The Rise and Decline of US Global Power
  • Torture and Impunity: The U.S. Doctrine of Coercive Interrogation
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • Closer Than Brothers: Manhood at the Philippine Military Academy
  • The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel
  • It's a Mens World
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Ang Mundong Ito ay Lupa
  • The Breakup Diaries
Since she was a third-grader, Marla Miniano already knew she wanted to write. But it wasn't until she was in the sixth grade when she unofficially began her career as a writer. Marla was assigned to write the script for a play in their school program and her English teacher praised her writing, saying that she should keep doing it. She never stopped since then.

When she was studying AB
“...falling in love and trying to make someone fall in love with you and working to stay in love and forcing yourself to fall out of love with someone who will never love you back is much, much more exhausting than being alone.” 70 likes
“It's the little things she needs someone for, like someone to hold her hand at the end of a long day, or someone to watch stupid comedies with, or someone to curl up with on the couch on a lazy Sunday morning as she reads the newspaper and eats her cereal. Which probably means she doesn't 'need' someone in the strictest sense, although at the end of a long day, or while watching a stupid comedy, or on a lazy Sunday morning, having someone would be very much appreciated.” 35 likes