Start by marking “Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)” as Want to Read:
Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)

Read Excerpt

Agent 6

(Leo Demidov #3)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  10,414 ratings  ·  1,014 reviews
Tom Rob Smith—the bestselling, award-winning author of Child 44, and one of the most critically-acclaimed new writers of our time—returns with a thrilling and provocative new novel: Agent 6.

How far would you go to solve a crime against your family?

Published January 5th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Agent 6, please sign up.
Michael Chapman The author would like you to read the book to discover who Agent 6 is.
Sana Khan I'm reading Agent 6 without reading The Secret Speech, it is fine. They can be read independently.

·  10,414 ratings  ·  1,014 reviews

Supratim
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is the final book in the Leo Demidov triology. The first book - Child 44 was excellent, the second one - The Secret Speech was good but the final book, I am sorry to say, is mediocre at best.

This book starts on the flashback mode and shows how Leo had met Raisa, his wife. You would get to see Leo as a bumbling lovestruck man.Certain portions of the book- where the Soviet officials were trying to convey how great life in the USSR was to a visiting American communist sympathizer, were actuall
Richard Derus
Rating: 2* of five

The Book Description: THREE DECADES.
TWO MURDERS.
ONE CONSPIRACY.

WHO IS AGENT 6?

Tom Rob Smith's debut, Child 44, was an immediate publishing sensation and marked the arrival of a major new talent in contemporary fiction. Named one of top 100 thrillers of all time by NPR, it hit bestseller lists around the world, won the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award and the ITW Thriller Award for Best First Novel, and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize.
In this spellbinding new novel,
Willow
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hey Sera! Thanks for the buddy read!

It was inevitable that I would finish this series. I loved Child 44 so much that I had to continue. Of course, the story of Leo is much sadder than I hoped for, and I don’t think books 2 and 3 were as quite as compelling as the first. I liked this book way better than The Secret Speech though.

One of Tom Rob Smith’s talents is he doesn’t write melodramatically. His prose is simple and to the point. Never once does this book drag.

Smith's characters were inte
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
3.5

This historical mystery thriller installment of Agent 6 concludes the Leo Demidov trilogy with a very different approach and style then its predecessors. Not only will it come to the end of Leo’s career and possibly life, but we are also reading in timelines before Child 44 and after.

Moscow, 1950:

Leo meets his future wife while staging a sham tour of the Soviet system for American singer and communist activist Jesse Austin. At chance and surprised, Raisa plays her part as she has been thrown
Bettie
Description: It is 1965. Leo Demidov, a former secret police agent, is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters from Moscow to New York. They are part of a "Peace Tour," meant to foster closer relations between the two Cold War enemies. On the tour, Leo's family is caught up in a conspiracy and betrayal that ends in tragedy. In the horrible aftermath, Leo demands one thing: that he be allowed to investigate and find the attacker that struck at the heart of his family on foreign soil. From ...more
Britany
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Agent 6 is the third installment of the Leo Demidov series about a Russian spy turned modern day hero. Leo Demidov makes a compelling man- equal parts rough and redeemable. Two stories twisting together make this last book a little too long, and a little too drawn out for me. Some parts still had that cliffhanger making me anxious to keep reading, and other sections I felt the need to skim over.

Great series with deeply drawn characters that I really enjoyed, just wish that the story arc didn't
Helen
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: espionage
Here’s the good news; Agent 6, Tom Rob Smith’s final installment in the Leo Demidov trilogy, is just as breathtakingly good as Child 44.

This is a beautifully written book, with a plot almost too complex to summarize. His spare, bleak prose, his masterful descriptions of place, love, grief and betrayal, his sympathy for the powerless of this world, his grasp of the way the past returns to influence the present, easily catapult him to the strata of writers like Graham Greene and John leCarre.

Y
Richard Derus
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2* of five

The Publisher Says: THREE DECADES.
TWO MURDERS.
ONE CONSPIRACY.

WHO IS AGENT 6?

In this spellbinding new novel, To
Paul E. Morph
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
While I wouldn't go so far as to say this third part in the Leo Demidov trilogy is a disappointment, it is definitely the weakest of the three, which is always a shame for a trilogy.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed it. The first half of the book, which shifts the spotlight away from Leo himself and onto his wife and two daughters, was really good. It was a real shift in tone, which caught my attention and held it until the first act's tragic ending. Said tragic ending was absolutely gutting, too.

It
Schmacko
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Tom Rob Smith’s newest book strays away from the darkness – the Stalinist paranoia – that made his first, Child 44, so good. Instead, this is a more meandering international thriller that brings Russia and Smith’s Russian hero Leo Demidov into modern times. Because the sickness of the serial killer is absent, this is a little less thrilling. The threats of the KGB are also weaker. Think slightly watered down John Le Carre.

Leo and his wife Raisa are raising their two daughters when a unique oppor
Mal Warwick
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Superb Suspense Novel Set in the USSR, Afghanistan, and the U.S.

The third book in a trilogy, Agent 6 concludes the story of Leo Demidov, a hero in the Great Patriotic War (as the USSR termed World War II) and later an agent in Stalin’s secret police. By way of introduction, the book opens in 1950 with Leo in thrall to the Sovet State, a senior officer in the MGB (predecessor to the KGB and to today’s FSB) charged with training newly recruited agents. Jesse Austin, a world-famous African-Americ
SPOILERS!!!! HUGE SPOILERS DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!!

14/12 - This was a disappointing end to a series I had been loving. The title was totally misleading - no mention of Agent 6 was made until page 483 and in a 544 page book that's a long time to wait to understand the title. Even though he wasn't mentioned (Leo didn't even know of his existence until the reader did), it was absolutely obvious who Agent 6 would be (I was hoping I was wrong and that I would be surprised when the '
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
While the book was a decent read in itself I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two. It can be read as a standalone even though it's technically a continuation but nothing was really alluded to from previous books apart from the odd place or building description. It's also listed as the final book but it's ending is left open or abrupt depending on your interpretation even though it's fairly obvious what will happen to Leo...

First book was a great serial killer thriller, second was a great
Jamie
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Krissy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is not even in the same stratosphere as the first two books. Leo came across as a completely different character. He was not the Leo I knew and loved from the other books. I found this book extremely boring and had a very difficult time getting through it. If you are interested in reading this trilogy I recommend that you stop after the second book. Don't waste your time with this one.
LeAnne: GeezerMom
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Ive been on some sort of nonfiction espionage kick as of late, so when this popped up as available from the Child 44 author, I jumped at it.

Sorry to report that other than some enlightening historical scenes in Afghanistan, the rest of this seemed to have been written like a screenplay. In a nutshell, a retired KGB guy loses somebody he loves while she is on an overseas, civilian trip. He must wait 15 years and battle addiction before the chance arises for him to access the cold case info and t
Maddy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads, tops
PROTAGONIST: Leo Demidov, secret police agent
SETTING: Moscow, US, Afghanistan
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 4.75

AGENT 6 is the final installment in the Child 44 trilogy, which features Soviet secret police agent Leo Demidov. It is a wonderful conclusion to a series that is epic in scope. AGENT opens in 1951 in Moscow, where the young agent Leo is assigned the prestigious duty of escorting a black American singer, Jesse Austin, around Moscow. Austin has espoused the Communist cause; the Russian governmen
☮Karen
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This completes the trilogy/series and all are enjoyable reads. I have to say though that in my opinion the first book Child 44 outshines them all by far.

Here is ex-KGB agent Leo, left alone in 1965 Russia while his family members have the opportunity to fly to NYC on a peace tour of sorts. Things go horribly wrong for them, and after years of trying to get permission to go to the States to investigate for himself, Leo finally makes it. First up, however, is a detour to Afghanistan as an advisor
Alondra
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

I did enjoy this mostly; but was disappointed in how things went. This was not what I had hoped going into this reading. I had hoped that we would follow Leo on his quest to exact revenge on those who would come after him or his family. No such luck. It was a round-about, beat around the bush, mystery, that had nothing to do with Leo exacting revenge. Political commentary, upheaval of regimes, and Leo getting older, very quickly.

We go from Leo in his prime to 15 (??) years later?? Li
Nick Davies
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
More of a three and a half than a three, this was every bit as decently written as the previous two in the trilogy - well researched, a realistic cast of characters you cared about (partially due to getting to know them earlier in the series), action and pace. I just felt it suffered a little by virtue of being the final in the trilogy.. an obligation to tie things up, the need to do the same things that worked in the previous books, the author seemingly faced with 'right, what did the USSR do i ...more
Mike
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this continuing saga of former KGB agent Leo, there are actually 3 parts. It begins with Leo and Raisa in 60's Russia, raising daughters, with mom and the girls preparing to go to America on a school goodwill trip. Conspiracy and tragedy ensues. The second part is Leo being stationed in Afghanistan training local forces, and winds up with Leo in America trying to unravel a mystery.

Well done story spanning decades.
Kathrin
My review of Child 44 and The Secret Speech:
Book 1 of 3
Book 2 of 3

It's been a while since I finished the book but it still amazes me how much I like to think about this trilogy. 'Agent 6' was, on the one hand, a very deserving ending for the series. On the other hand, I was looking for something closer to a happy ending. Ultimately, I did enjoy the series to a point where I would happily recommend it to friends. I just have to learn that there can't always be the ending I imagine.

Since this is
TamElaine
The very first thing I notice from reading this novel, the third of a trilogy, is the tight concise writing that draws you in from the first sentence - Tom Rob Smith has a no-nonsense forward moving writing style without sacrificing characterization...in fact he takes you inside the heads of characters, of the Russian mindset of that time, the paranoia, distrust, anxiety, and the consequences of an entire society filled with these thought processes, and the propaganda that caused it.

Tom Rob Smit
LeenaAlthaqafi
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t cried over a novel for a loooong time, but this was amazingly well-written.
Marianna Neal
As see on Impression Blend

2.5 of out 5 stars

As you can tell by my rating, I did not get along very well with Agent 6. It's hard to even explain the premise of the book without ruining a big portion of it, but I will do my best. The book spans over a long period of time, starting with the pre-evolved Leo in 1950 and going all the way to 1980s. It also takes place in three different countries: USSR, USA, and Afghanistan. Leo in Agent 6 is a man struggling to adjust to family life by letting go of
Bonnie Brody
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Zöe Yu
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
A therapist told me once she works in counseling field, she no longer reads novels. Because she feels the fictional world is way less interested as the real world. Everything comes from the real world. She thought being a therapist is to read the world, but that is not true. Novel, fictions come from real world, with a bit exaggeration or none, it displays you a far more rich picture of the entire planet we are inhabiting in. Novel never dies.

Reading Tom Rob Smith's novel is like taking a zigza
Becky
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't love the second book in this trilogy (The Secret Speech), so I read this one only because I loved the first book—Child 44. Unfortunately, this one is more like The Secret Speech than Child 44. What made Child 44 such a great book was that the mystery/thriller story was actually not the heart of the book—the heart was the effect of Stalinism on people's psyches and relationships. The mystery was just a way of getting at that idea. The other two books have been much more like typical susp ...more
L.A. Starks
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
While the book moved along well, particularly for the time span it covered, I did not find it as compelling as other books Tom Rob Smith has written.
Antigone
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
With this final installment, Tom Rob Smith ties off his espionage trilogy involving the trials and tribulations of Russian State Security Officer Leo Demidov.

The journey has been wide-ranging and well-told, taking Leo from his cushy Moscow berth as a favored and faithful agent to demotion and denouncement under Stalin's rigorous regime. Demidov's decision to hunt down a serial killer the State refuses to admit exists may indeed restore him (Book One: Child 44), but the resulting responsibilities
Tired of Afghanistan period 11 48 Jul 21, 2015 08:30AM
A Million More Pages: 3 - Agent 6 (Leo Demidov): Jan 8 17 26 Feb 07, 2015 02:45AM

• Shadow Pass (Inspector Pekkala, #2)
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • The Stalin Epigram
  • The Trinity Six
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • Red Square (Arkady Renko, #3)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Belfast (Jack Lennon Investigations #1)
  • Dead at Daybreak
  • The Stationmaster's Farewell (The Railway Detective #9)
  • Onion Street (Moe Prager, #8)
  • Waterline
  • Tre Hundes Nat
Tom Rob Smith (born 1979) is an English writer. The son of a Swedish mother and an English father, Smith was raised in London where he lives today. After graduating from Cambridge University in 2001, he completed his studies in Italy, studying creative writing for a year. After these studies, he worked as a scriptwriter.

His first novel, Child 44, about a series of child murders in Stalinist Russia

Leo Demidov (3 books)
  • Child 44 (Leo Demidov, #1)
  • The Secret Speech (Leo Demidov, #2)
“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?” 62 likes
“Do not under estimate the power of their programmes. They serve to numb the minds of their citizens. It is not mere entertainment: it is a key weapon in maintaining their authority. the citizens of this country are given idiotic escapism in order to prevent them asking deeper questions.” 0 likes