Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #7)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  6,197 Ratings  ·  318 Reviews
Buffy Summers and her Slayer army have suffered heavy losses throughout Season Eight and faced scores of threats new and old, but the one mystery connecting it all has been the identity of the Big Bad-Twilight!
In this penultimate volume of Season Eight, "New York Times" best-selling novelist and comics writer Brad Meltzer ("The Book of Lies," "Identity Crisis") joins seri
Published October 6th 2010 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
As someone who may or may not own every single season of Buffy and Angel on DVD (spoiler alert, I totally do), I was so excited to see the Buffyverse was finally going to continue! But while Season 8 started out strong, by the end I was just shaking my head sadly. The Twilight revelation was especially disappointing. If you're going to stretch a mystery out over the course of three years, there are two things you must do when it's time for the big reveal:

1. Make sure the solution doesn't contrad
Kemper
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I know Joss Whedon is busy working on The Avengers movie. (Just the sheer idea of it is giving most of geekdom multiple nerdgasms.) However, since he’s the one who likes to claim that this run of Buffy comics are the actual continuation of the story after the TV series ended, you’d think the Joss-man would have cleared his calendar enough to write a critical piece to this so-called ‘Season 8’ arc of Buffy.

Instead, he handed over the reins to Brad Metzler, who does an OK job, but the story proba
j
What?

No, seriously.

What?

Aside from the fact that I have almost no idea what actually happened, plot-wise, this was probably the worst "episode" of Buffy Season Eight yet (and I remember when I thought Season Seven was lame). But by all means, it you want to enjoy 11 pages of Buffy and Angel having sex in space, be my guest.

Yes, I said in space. And without a spaceship.

God.
Sesana
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I just don't know. I think that maybe the Buffy team bit off more than they can chew, with the huge concepts and giant demons and creating a new pocket universe or something. It's too much, and it honestly isn't done very well. Angel is back, of course, but his role is only barely believable. Why does he do what he does in this book? I'm not sure I entirely get it. Maybe the Angel comics would have cleared that up. (view spoiler) ...more
Elizabeth
Why?! WHY?! Why do I keep doing this to myself? This series has become like going back to a bad boyfriend, I know it will only end in disappointment and pain but I can't seem to stop myself. There as not been anything good to go under the name of Buffy since the finale of Season 6. That's it. End of story.

This is, quite simply, nonsense. It doesn't make sense in terms of theme, plot or character. It doesn't make sense consistent within this arc, with the rest of this series, or with the overall
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
Surprise, surprise, surprise. I actually ended up enjoying this. Sorta.

The Good:
* The dialogue was a big improvement over the last few installments and some of it actually made me laugh, which hasn't happened with this season lately.
* While the artwork still isn't terrific, I could differentiate between the characters better than the last volume.
* The villain, Twilight, is finally revealed. Finally.
* The dig at the Twilight series. I got a chuckle out of it. [Buffy: "You listen to me, Twilight -
Terri
Dec 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
So, more superpower for Buffy? Is that a good idea? And how much longer can we suffer through this Angel bullshit? One true love? Give me a break, even Andrew (not the authority on the metter but still) agreed that Spike is way cooler.

Bottom line #teamSpike
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Eh.
The only thing this volume really has going for it is the dialogue. Not even the dialogue. A few snappy lines, and a couple of funny set-ups. A Twilight joke, and a running riff on superheroes. I still don't buy the actions of the characters. I can't tell any of the brunettes apart. Is that Amy? Kennedy? Dawn? Faith? The action is disjointed and I can never tell where anybody is or how they got there. And why use swear words if you're going to promptly censor them with Peanuts style symbols?
Ryan Mishap
Nov 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Come on! Please! This series is a semi-truck with no brakes rolling down a six percent grade with only one more collection that can provide the runaway truck ramp. I didn't buy it at all. I didn't buy the Twilight reveal---spoiler alert:

The last effing person it should have been was Angel. Please. The whole evolution of the species because a slayer loved a vampire and Willow cast a spell that made more slayers and now humans will be superfluous? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Angel and Buffy flying around sm
Renee Nicole
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Umm.... okay.

So, we find out who (or what) Twilight is. That's cool. I actually kinda liked the whole concept of Buffy being chosen to create the new universe. And here we have Angel being Angel, still out for himself while Buffy wants to help her friends. Duh, stupid. I always hated that guy, and I still do. But, in a twisted way, it all kinda made sense. The fallout will be devastating, I'm almost sure of it.

And OMG Spike is back. FINALLY!!!
Fables&Wren
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
WrensReads Review:

This issue was not PG.

Do you remember that episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where the frat house is attacking the students and there is a giant plant growing in and around the building and it is feeding off the energy of Buffy and Riley’s sexual energy?

This whole flippin’ season is basically that but on steroids. And different people. And not a frat house. And... ugh, just be aware if you are a little shy or young with this. I mean, the whole series isn’t really PG, and the
Brittany
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

***Buddyread! Criteria: Super late indie titles where girls go crazy having vampire sex. Right?***

Fair warning on a lot of levels:
1. I am a little more than drunk.
2. Here's hoping I can still type.
And the most important:

SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!!

This was a great drunk read because the sex literally lasted for over ten pages. And while I'm not an Angel fan, I can deal. Bring on the sexual heat.

So we're reeling from the battle in Retreat. A lot of things have happened due to this (and oth
Zana
Mar 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
What. The. F&*$%???

Seriously, the end of volume 6 was awful and offensive. But this?

This doesn't make sense EVEN IF EVERY SINGLE WRITER, ILLUSTRATOR, AND EDITOR WAS SMOKING CRACK CONTINUOUSLY THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE PROCESS, AND THEY'D ALL GOTTEN LOBOTOMIES.
Mar 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Olivia
Nov 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've been a fan of "Buffy" since middle school. I have seen every episode at least five times and know much of the show's dialogue by heart (and have a school girl's crush on Spike). So, to say I am a huge fan is kind of a major understatement. I figured that since I have watched the show religiously I might read the comics and branch out a bit.

The first "Buffy" comic I read a few weeks ago was nothing short of disappointing. It lacked any kind of general plot and character development. Sadly, t
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jan 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Really, Really, Really Hardcore Buffy Fans Who Think Whedon Is God
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri's Gift
Crap. Is this about Joss losing the Wonder Woman gig or what? This is what a trainwreck looks like. I hate, hate, hate this volume. I'm a major Buffy fan--really I am. I adored the television show, and up to now I'd have said the last third of Season Six was the low point--and that the comic books had at least skimmed a bit above that line, while having a lot of the worst of its elements (Magical addiction, Dark Willow, Warren as Villain). And man, I've never much liked Jeanty's illustrations, a ...more
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cyna
Dec 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was probably the shitties fucking outcome the Twilight storyline could have possibly had, and I'm not exaggerating here, this shit was AWFUL. The stupidest thing I've read or seen in Buffy-associated media, bar none. They've jumped the shark so far they're in fucking space now. There's no coming back from something this fucking dumb. If I'm not being clear enough: this was not clever, it wasn't enjoyably silly, it wasn't so-bad-it's-good, or whatever the writers were going for, this was jum ...more
David
The next-to-the-last volume of "Buffy: Season 8" was better than the preceding one, with the return of many familiar faces, including (as the cover reveals), Buffy's old flame, Angel, as well as the revelation of who the Season 8 Big Bad, "Twilight," really is. (And Buffy finally gets in a "Twilight" joke -- I was waiting for that all this time.)

Here, once again the writers are going for great big earth-shaking plots that the TV show's special effects budget would never have permitted, and it se
Alex
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The quality of Buffy Season 8 has veered upwards and downwards so often that I've never been quite sure how I felt about it. Well, the big Twilight review was probably the strongest in the series since Joss started and has ensured that the season will be considered, by me at least, as an overall success. As in all good Buffy seasons, there are big surprises and big moments where everything comes together and this was no exception. Twilight's reveal was everything that I wanted from it and the tw ...more
Morgan
I'll be honest -- Season 8 started out pretty good and then took a swift downward spiral into wtf-am-I-even-reading territory.

Light at the end of the tunnel? There are other seasons and the other seasons improve.

A lot.

This was the worst of the season 8 bunch imo.
Cath
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4/5 stars.
That ending though..
Ash
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Interesting~ but weird too haha
Fugo Feedback
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffystas y amantes del comic en general, sobre todo Morrisonianos.
Recommended to Fugo by: ¡Menos mal que no me lo spoilearon!
Leído de números sueltos y evitando en todo momento ver la espoilerísima tapa del tomo (gracias Bucletina por el asesoramiento). En cuanto al contenido: acá sí que se fueron al carajo más allá, ida y vuelta, del derecho y del revés. Podrán quejarse de muchas cosas de este tomo, pero no de ser predecible o trillado. No sólo por la polémica revelación de quién es Twilight, sino por las consecuencias y las motivaciones detrás de todo el quilombo. Por lo fumado y a la vez sólido de los argumentos, p ...more
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-vampires
I loved so much about Twilight, the next-to-last volume in Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I loved Xander and the way he dealt with Buffy's untimely over-sharing. I loved Buffy's powers ramped up to superhero levels and the reason behind it. I loved the arrival of Angel, even if I didn't completely love why he was there. I loved, in an extreme fashion, the arrival of the surprise Buffy alum at the end of the volume. I just didn't love where the overall series story arc ended up.

Who is Twil
K.
This was a freaking trainwreck and a half. The story was all over the place, the characters were all over the place, the art was all over the place.

I've read this twice now, and both times my reaction has been the same: "THIS is what we were building to? Really????" Because it's just...awful. The first couple of volumes are dedicated to Buffy trying out her new superpowers and Xander nerding out over which superheroes she's like. And then things get...weird. (view spoiler)
Caroline
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shaun
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some of the Season 8 Buffy storylines have been decent. Some of them have been okay, but failed to live up the the Buffy pedigree. This volume falls into the latter category. None of the volumes I've read have really been up to the standard of the TV show. But I walked away from this volume full of disappointment because the life that inhabited the series just wasn't there. The story didn't contain any plot developments that were off. But the characterization was static and the dialog stumbled a ...more
Wendy
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Finally gotten to the end of Buffy Season 8 and am glad its over. I've pretty much only been collecting now for the sake of completion. What a disappointment. Everything has just gone to blah since The Time of Your Life storyline, featuring Fray. An endless stream of ever bigger and more powerful monsters and ever deader slayers and ever more nerd references (just how many pages were dedicated to the Superman tests??) and bad sex.

At least the Jo Chen cover art was always pretty.

I sadly add thi
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 2: First Night
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, #4)
  • Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Angel & Faith, Volume 2)
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, The Book of Fate, and nine other bestselling thrillers including The Tenth Justice, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, and The President’s Shadow. His newest book, The Escape Artist, debuted at #1 on the bestseller list.
In addition to his fiction, Brad is one of the only authors to ever have books on the bestseller lis
More about Brad Meltzer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 (8 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, Volume 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Don't you know me by now, Angel? I never do what I'm meant for.” 4 likes