Start by marking “The Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)

The Shark Attacks of 1916

(I Survived #2)

Based on true events! It's the summer of 1916 and the Jersey shore is being terrorized by a Great White shark. Can 10-year-old Chet and his friends survive a swim in the local creek?
Chet Roscow is finally feeling at home in Elm Hills, New Jersey. He has a job with his uncle Jerry at the local diner, three great friends, and the perfect summertime destination: cool, refresh
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks

karen
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
IS IT WRONG TO CHEAT ON SHARK WEEK WITH SHARKFEST???

i also survived a vicious shark attack this shark week:

photo DSC02731_zpsa7298da2.jpg

photo DSC02732_zps911cab25.jpg

shaaaaark!

the wonderful ceridwen sent me this book, because she totally gets my love of sharks, and the people they eat along the way.

don't worry, sharks don't eat people much. we are the circus peanuts of the animal kingdom, and only crazy sharks want to eat us.

but this is great - a kid's book about the shark attacks of 1916; the one jaws was based on.and it is a real-and-true story abou
Kelli
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wow! Seriously?! I had no idea of (so many facts presented in this book) the threat of shark attack in brackish water. This is going to greatly diminish my comfort factor while boating on the North River for the rest of this summer and probably forever, in the same way that JAWS has impacted my enjoyment of the beach since the seventies. Of course, I can let none of this on in front of my children so as not to have the "scarred for life" thing passed down to another generation. I guess I should ...more
Mariah Roze
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am trying to read as many "Who Was," "What Was," and "I Survived" books as I can get my hands on in 2017.

The "I Survived" books are always based on true events! This book is about the summer of 1916 and in the Jersey shore theres a Great White shark that has been killing locals.

"In the summer of 1916, ten year-old Chet Roscow is captivated by the local news: a Great White shark has been attacking and killing people up and down the Atlantic Coast, not far from Chet's hometown of Springfield, N
Juli
I love this series of fictionalized eye-witness accounts of historical events written for kids. They focus on a wide variety of events from the destruction of Pompeii in AD 79 to the 9/11 attacks in 2001. The stories mix facts with a fictionalized story told by a child who was there for the event.

Each book is around 100 pages long and the audio books range from 1 to 1.5 hours, so the series is perfect length for use in a classroom situation or for at-home reading.

I Survived the Shark Attacks of
Joseph S
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I Survived the shark attacks of 1916 by Lauren Tarshis is about a kid named Chet and when he plays a prank on his friends the stop trusting him and when Chet spots a shark fin while he is swimming he tries to warn his friends, but when they don't believe him he tries to save them. Will Chet save his friends and will his friends trust him? Read I Survived the shark attacks of 1916 and find out.
I was moved by when Chet tried to save his friends from the shark. I liked the way the author put pict
NATHANIELL
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and I just wanted to keep reading this book. I think this book taught me that certain things can happen at the best of times and the worst of times.

At the beginning of this book there’s this kid whose parents leave him at his uncle’s house while they are on a business trip. He makes friends and they decide to pull a prank on him. Chet gets mad at them and in the paper there are shark attacks but nobody believes that though. Chet decides to pull a prank on his friends, an
Danette
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
My 11 year old son and I listened to my friend, Angel, read this fun book via You Tube. It was my first exposure to the I Survived Series and I was pleasantly surprised. Fun Historical Fiction for the younger set (and their moms).
Amelia Elias
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was thrilling!!!
Jared Shilts
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
personal response: I personally had no feelings concerning this short chapter book. I say this because of its flat plot and characters.

plot: The year is 1916, a boy named Chet arrives in a town close to the ocean on the east coast. He is sent to live with his uncle because of his father’s work habits. At first Chet is worried that nobody will make friends with him. Later on, Chet learns that he is very popular with the other kids in town. Before Chet realizes how much he means to everyone, he di
Nick Harrington
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
In 1916 a great white shark started to attack swimmers on the New Jersey shore. This book is based on true events but the characters are made up. It takes place in Elm Hills, New Jersey on the ocean shore and also in the Matawan Creek. Chet Roscow is the protagonist and the other main characters are his friends Dewey, Sid and Monty. The story happens in July and over 12 days there are 4 people killed by shark attacks in waist deep water and in a creek. At the time this happened people didn't bel ...more
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Not exactly a Newbery winner, but a good story that will appeal to reluctant readers. Very short- I read it in an hour. I did like the mixture of historical fact with fiction, and I learned something while reading it- before 1916 people thought that sharks were passive and afraid of people.
Dawn
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
My eleven-year-old recommended this to me because this is one of his favorite books, so of course I had to read it :) It's a good book of a fictional account of a shark attack, but then you get to read at the end of the book the true story of several true shark attacks.
Emily Cook
My adventure-loving son and I truly enjoyed this book.
Great life-lessons about teasing, honesty, and heroism taught within a compelling and action-packed story. Highly recommend.
Gracie Horlbogen
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!
Meg McGregor
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a Middle School Reading, History, and English teacher for almost 30 years! How did I not know about this series?

Another reviewer, Phillip, recommended one of the books in the series, and I decided to get them all from my library!

This is the second one I have read and I really enjoyed it! I love learning new things and Ms. Tarshis writes about the past so vividly, it is like she was actually there; you get the feeling that she is telling you about personal events!

I can fully understand why
James
May 29, 2019 added it
Student Name:James Cunningham Date Submitted: 4/23/2019
Book Title: I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 Lexile: 610

Personal Response: I really could not find myself getting into this book because it was pretty boring. The plot was slow and did not give details.

Plot: This book was about a little boy that moved by his uncle with his sister. There were a lot of rumors about shark attacks that happened down there. When he moved down there he made a lot of friends. He had a dream about one friend.
Megan
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay...why was Chet getting so much hate for the prank he pulled? It wasn't any worse than what his friends had just done to him? This is why I am strongly against pranks...it's only funny when they aren't being pulled on you (even then I don't tend find them funny...but my sense of humor is fickle). Aside from that, I had no idea there was a shark attack in a creek in New Jersey in 1916! That's nuts. Also really enjoy the end with all the extra information.
Jenni Heins
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
I read "Close to Shore" by Michael Capuzzo for a book club selection. I decided to read this junior historical fiction title to compare. I was very impressed by how much factual information Lauren Tarshis included. And, knowing my ability for retention, I felt like I should have only read this book and skipped the much longer, adult non-fiction title!
Ariel Masters
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite this being a children's book, I enjoyed this adaption of the shark attacks of 1916. I learned several things, and it kept me entertained. My kids had rented this book from the library. I didn't have time for a novel, so picked it up before going to my next chore. Glad I did! ;D
May Regan
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YES! When I was 6 or 7 I saw shark week and was OBSESSED (in a bad way) with sharks. I was obsessed in the way where I thought sharks might just be swimming around on my bedroom floor, waiting to eat me. This book fed my obsession. I LOVED it. I still do. =)
TheCatholicBook
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
Another amazing historical fiction authored by Lauren Tarshis. The plot is a little predictable, yet it is a book you won't set down. (I read it in a few hours!) Again, I enjoy the facts and extra information in the back. I never really knew much about the shark attacks of 1916 so this was an intriguing read for me. I also found it interesting what the people thought of sharks before the attacks. I won't say anything more because I don't want to give everything away!
Jayden
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I finished book a while ago I just forgot to post that I finished it. Sorry I haven't posted what I am reading lately.
☯keerthi - daughter of zeus☯
One bloodthirsty shark. One twelve-year-old boy. What are the possibilities?
Colleen
Meh, full of awkward exposition and clumsy dialogue.
Troy Stewart
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think the book was pretty good but a part at the end it seemed to go back in time and that was pretty cool.
Maria Segovia
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Is sooo good, if you like books like i survived then you should read this one
Tracy The Great
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i think it was a good book! i love how the author described all of the action!
Khalil McMorris
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book “I survived the Shark Attacks of 1916” because I enjoy sharks and to read about a kid surviving one was awesome. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone.
Joseph
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Shark Attacks of 1916 is a very fun to read book that's about a boy named Chet Roscow that travels a lot with his mom and dad trying to find business and money. Chet is now staying with his Uncle Jerry. One day there is a letter saying someone died from a shark. Uncle Jerry does not believe it but Captain Wilson does. Chet and his friends start playing pranks on each other about a shark eating one of them at the creek but little do they know that Chet is going to run into a shark while swimm ...more
Caden
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Shark Attacks of 1916 is a book about a kid named Chet. He finds himself in a vulnerable situation. In New Jersey on the Jersey Shore is a killer great white shark. Chet has seen beaches closed due to the shark who has gone crazy and leaves the ocean a bloody mess. When Chet and his friends find that one of Chet's close friends is a victim to one of this many shark attacks he decides to take caution in every approach to the water. One day Chet goes down to the river because he thought the sh ...more
pov 1 3 Feb 28, 2018 09:07AM

• Collision Course (Titanic, #2)
  • Zero to Hero (Ghost Buddy, #1)
  • Who Was Bruce Lee?
  • Roberto & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure, #9)
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Full of Beans
  • Melonhead
  • Mudshark
  • Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)
  • Oh, Yikes!: History's Grossest, Wackiest Moments
  • Arcady's Goal
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Trouble Magnet (George Brown, Class Clown, #2)
  • Homework Hassles (Ready, Freddy!, #3)
  • Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #5)
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Ghosts of the Titanic
Lauren Tarshis often wonders how she came to spend most of her waking moments thinking about disasters, as the author of the children's historical fiction series "I Survived." Each book takes readers into the heart of history's most thrilling and terrifying events, including the sinking of the Titanic, the Shark Attacks of 1916, Hurricane Katrina, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the San Francisco ear ...more

I Survived (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)
  • Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (I Survived, #3)
  • The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (I Survived, #4)
  • The San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
  • The Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, #6)
  • The Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7)
  • The Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • The Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • The Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)
  • I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 (I Survived, #11)
“There’s no room in a small town for grudges.” 2 likes
“SHARK KILLS SECOND BATHER IN NEW JERSEY JULY 7, 1916 SPRING LAKE, NEW JERSEY” 2 likes