Start by marking “I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)” as Want to Read:
I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)

I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916

(I Survived #2)

Based on true events! It's the summer of 1916 and the Jersey shore is being terrorized by a Great White shark. Can 10-year-old Chet and his friends survive a swim in the local creek?
Chet Roscow is finally feeling at home in Elm Hills, New Jersey. He has a job with his uncle Jerry at the local diner, three great friends, and the perfect summertime destination: cool, refresh
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Start your review of I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)
karen
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
TIL there is a graphic novel version of this book available. HERE I COME!

IS IT WRONG TO CHEAT ON SHARK WEEK WITH SHARKFEST??

i also survived a vicious shark attack this shark week:

photo DSC02731_zpsa7298da2.jpg

photo DSC02732_zps911cab25.jpg

shaaaaark!

the wonderful ceridwen sent me this book, because she totally gets my love of sharks, and the people they eat along the way.

don't worry, sharks don't eat people much. we are the circus peanuts of the animal kingdom, and only crazy sharks want to eat us.

but this is great - a kid's book about the shark
Julie
Did you know that in July of 1916 a small group of people were swimming in a creek sixteen miles from the Atlantic Ocean and were suddenly attacked by a shark?

An 11-year-old boy and a 24-year-old man were killed, and a 12-year-old boy was bitten on the leg but survived.

By a shark. In a creek. Near their homes.

It's a true story and as I read it to my girls, you could have heard a pin drop in the background. I don't know if either of my daughters have ever been so totally captivated by a story bef
Kelli
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wow! Seriously?! I had no idea of (so many facts presented in this book) the threat of shark attack in brackish water. This is going to greatly diminish my comfort factor while boating on the North River for the rest of this summer and probably forever, in the same way that JAWS has impacted my enjoyment of the beach since the seventies. Of course, I can let none of this on in front of my children so as not to have the "scarred for life" thing passed down to another generation. I guess I should ...more
Mariah Roze
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am trying to read as many "Who Was," "What Was," and "I Survived" books as I can get my hands on in 2017.

The "I Survived" books are always based on true events! This book is about the summer of 1916 and in the Jersey shore theres a Great White shark that has been killing locals.

"In the summer of 1916, ten year-old Chet Roscow is captivated by the local news: a Great White shark has been attacking and killing people up and down the Atlantic Coast, not far from Chet's hometown of Springfield, N
Carol
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is book two in the I SURVIVED children's series that combines fact and fiction. Characters are made up, but major events of the shark attacks are true.

Well told and informative summer adventure story set on the New Jersey shore.

FACTS ABOUT SHARK ATTACKS and true events of THE SHARK ATTACKS OF 1916 at conclusion of book.

Kaden
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Chet Roscow is feeling at home in New Jersey. He has 3 great friends this summer. Everyone is talking about something .As Chet goes to the creek and sees something, is it just his imagination? I like this book because the detail and the story was amazing. I would recommend this book if you like adventure , action ,history and a little funny.
Juli
I love this series of fictionalized eye-witness accounts of historical events written for kids. They focus on a wide variety of events from the destruction of Pompeii in AD 79 to the 9/11 attacks in 2001. The stories mix facts with a fictionalized story told by a child who was there for the event.

Each book is around 100 pages long and the audio books range from 1 to 1.5 hours, so the series is perfect length for use in a classroom situation or for at-home reading.

I Survived the Shark Attacks of
~Bellegirl91~
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
So not very long after I started this audiobook, I legit went to YouTube to see if there was a video and/or a documentary at least for this event because honestly I've never heard of this event. So I found an old history 42 minute documentary on this and ended up watching it before finishing and listening to this. And it actually made it all the more interesting. Especially for such a compelling question to ask to this die:

Why all of a sudden were there random shark attacks and 4 people dyi
Christy
I didn't like this one as much as I did the first book in the series about the Titanic. Interesting subject... something I have never heard about before.
Joseph S
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I Survived the shark attacks of 1916 by Lauren Tarshis is about a kid named Chet and when he plays a prank on his friends the stop trusting him and when Chet spots a shark fin while he is swimming he tries to warn his friends, but when they don't believe him he tries to save them. Will Chet save his friends and will his friends trust him? Read I Survived the shark attacks of 1916 and find out.
I was moved by when Chet tried to save his friends from the shark. I liked the way the author put pict
Theresa
My first "I Survived" book and I really liked the audiobook. Nice mentions of local NJ spots, Beach Haven and Spring Lake. Captivating and quick.
NATHANIELL
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and I just wanted to keep reading this book. I think this book taught me that certain things can happen at the best of times and the worst of times.

At the beginning of this book there’s this kid whose parents leave him at his uncle’s house while they are on a business trip. He makes friends and they decide to pull a prank on him. Chet gets mad at them and in the paper there are shark attacks but nobody believes that though. Chet decides to pull a prank on his friends, an
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
Hmmm... not sure.
I think it’s pretty well written in terms of narrative quality and the characters are fairly interesting. There’s also some solid illustrations.
However it is FULL of filler (as in only a few scenes are about the shark attack) and it’s very predictable. Kinda slow.
Torn between giving it a 2 or a 3, gonna go with 3 to be nice and because it’s well written enough. I hope the next one’s better.

3/5
Caroline
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
My stepson has this entire collection, so I read one. After watching Jaws at a drive-in on the 4th of July sharks have received a lot of attention at our house. Settle in with this one and your kids. They will love it!
Nick Harrington
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
In 1916 a great white shark started to attack swimmers on the New Jersey shore. This book is based on true events but the characters are made up. It takes place in Elm Hills, New Jersey on the ocean shore and also in the Matawan Creek. Chet Roscow is the protagonist and the other main characters are his friends Dewey, Sid and Monty. The story happens in July and over 12 days there are 4 people killed by shark attacks in waist deep water and in a creek. At the time this happened people didn't bel ...more
Samantha DeBlois
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trimester-2
Chet, a boy that lives with his uncle in New Jersey, just wants to fit in with some new friends. The boys have fun with each other by playing pranks. One day when Chet gets pranked, he gets angry and leaves. One day he goes down to the creek by himself and sees a shark, which is very unusual. He ends up getting out of the water and running to tell someone but no one believes him. When those boys go back swimming Chet warns them but they don't believe him. They did end up seeing a shark, but befo ...more
Abel Mota
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book "I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916" by Lauren Tarshis is one of the best books i have ever read. I recommend this book to every one. I think middle school students should read this book. This book tells a great story.
Emily Cook
My adventure-loving son and I truly enjoyed this book.
Great life-lessons about teasing, honesty, and heroism taught within a compelling and action-packed story. Highly recommend.
Gracie Horlbogen
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!
Amelia Elias
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was thrilling!!!
Danette
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
My 11 year old son and I listened to my friend, Angel, read this fun book via You Tube. It was my first exposure to the I Survived Series and I was pleasantly surprised. Fun Historical Fiction for the younger set (and their moms).
Audrey
At first, it was a couple of pranks with his buddies but then the threat became real. Chet discovered a shark in a creek in New Jersey. Back in 1916 people didn't believe that sharks would attack people but they soon learned how wrong they were. Based on a true account.
Jared Shilts
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
personal response: I personally had no feelings concerning this short chapter book. I say this because of its flat plot and characters.

plot: The year is 1916, a boy named Chet arrives in a town close to the ocean on the east coast. He is sent to live with his uncle because of his father’s work habits. At first Chet is worried that nobody will make friends with him. Later on, Chet learns that he is very popular with the other kids in town. Before Chet realizes how much he means to everyone, he di
Meg McGregor
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a Middle School Reading, History, and English teacher for almost 30 years! How did I not know about this series?

Another reviewer, Phillip, recommended one of the books in the series, and I decided to get them all from my library!

This is the second one I have read and I really enjoyed it! I love learning new things and Ms. Tarshis writes about the past so vividly, it is like she was actually there; you get the feeling that she is telling you about personal events!

I can fully understand why
Megan
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay...why was Chet getting so much hate for the prank he pulled? It wasn't any worse than what his friends had just done to him? This is why I am strongly against pranks...it's only funny when they aren't being pulled on you (even then I don't tend find them funny...but my sense of humor is fickle). Aside from that, I had no idea there was a shark attack in a creek in New Jersey in 1916! That's nuts. Also really enjoy the end with all the extra information.
Jenni Heins
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
I read "Close to Shore" by Michael Capuzzo for a book club selection. I decided to read this junior historical fiction title to compare. I was very impressed by how much factual information Lauren Tarshis included. And, knowing my ability for retention, I felt like I should have only read this book and skipped the much longer, adult non-fiction title!
Dawn
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
My eleven-year-old recommended this to me because this is one of his favorite books, so of course I had to read it :) It's a good book of a fictional account of a shark attack, but then you get to read at the end of the book the true story of several true shark attacks.
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Not exactly a Newbery winner, but a good story that will appeal to reluctant readers. Very short- I read it in an hour. I did like the mixture of historical fact with fiction, and I learned something while reading it- before 1916 people thought that sharks were passive and afraid of people.
James
May 29, 2019 added it
Student Name:James Cunningham Date Submitted: 4/23/2019
Book Title: I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 Lexile: 610

Personal Response: I really could not find myself getting into this book because it was pretty boring. The plot was slow and did not give details.

Plot: This book was about a little boy that moved by his uncle with his sister. There were a lot of rumors about shark attacks that happened down there. When he moved down there he made a lot of friends. He had a dream about one friend.
Georgia Skinner
I thought the book was very well written and very compelling. As far as I could tell, it was historically accurate and the characters were based off real people during the time period. I did some research, and the only discrepancy that I could find, were the dates.

I was however, very interested in finding out more about this time period. I realized, there wasn't an age minimum for children to be working, and the pay was much different then. I already knew that the value of money was greater bac
pov 1 3 Feb 28, 2018 09:07AM

• Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Jackie Robinson?
  • Mr. Lemoncello and the Titanium Ticket (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #5)
  • Who Was Babe Ruth?
  • I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 : A Graphix Book
  • Who Was Walt Disney?
  • A Big Day for Baseball (Magic Tree House, #29)
  • Who Is Ruth Bader Ginsburg?
  • High Time for Heroes (Magic Tree House, #51)
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • Balto of the Blue Dawn (Magic Tree House, #54)
  • Christmas in Camelot (Magic Tree House, #29)
  • Shadow of the Shark (Magic Tree House, #53)
  • Who Was Dr. Seuss?
  • What Were the Twin Towers?
  • To the Future, Ben Franklin! (Magic Tree House, #32)
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Days of Toil and Tears: The Child Labour Diary of Flora Rutherford (Dear Canada)
Lauren Tarshis often wonders how she came to spend most of her waking moments thinking about disasters, as the author of the children's historical fiction series "I Survived." Each book takes readers into the heart of history's most thrilling and terrifying events, including the sinking of the Titanic, the Shark Attacks of 1916, Hurricane Katrina, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the San Francisco ear ...more

I Survived (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)
  • I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (I Survived, #3)
  • I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (I Survived, #4)
  • I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
  • I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, #6)
  • I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)
  • The Great Chicago Fire, 1871 (I Survived, #11)

News & Interviews

“SHARK KILLS SECOND BATHER IN NEW JERSEY JULY 7, 1916 SPRING LAKE, NEW JERSEY” 3 likes
“There’s no room in a small town for grudges.” 2 likes