Start by marking “Girl in a Spin” as Want to Read:
Girl in a Spin

Girl in a Spin

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  312 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Jenny Hannigan is a rootless party girl with a murky past. All she craves is a life of domestic bliss and respectability, so when she crashes into the arms of political leader Richard Allam she thinks she's found exactly what she was looking for. But Jenny isn't exactly PM wife material and Richard recruits a spin doctor to change Jenny.
Published March 3rd 2011 by Hachette Books Ireland (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Girl in a Spin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in a Spin

Aditi
A funny quote about being the "IT" Party Girl:
Working out is my partying
Protein shakes are my beer
Preworkouts are my shots
The pump is my buzz
And the pain the next morning
Is my
Hangover

Is true that life is damn hard for any rootless, party girl who doesn't give a shit about anything in the world and is it really shameful to aim for nice little domestic life with a sweet-old husband?

Jenny Hannigan is the definition of a true party girl- dinners means no home-cook meals, party means getting te
Jacob Proffitt
This was a tough one to fully sink into and a large part of that is Jenny being involved with someone who isn't the love interest through most of the story. Murphy skips over the amorous bits with Richard, but it's still uncomfortable knowing (by the structure and increasing cues along the way) that he isn't the one and that her attachment is, in the end, doomed.

Mitigating that, somewhat, is that Jenny is such a sweetheart. I liked her immediately and wanted nothing more than for her to be happy
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

I loved Girl in a Spin. I was immediately immersed in the plot, laughed out loud frequently and grew so fond of the characters that I desperately wanted to know how this delightful story would end.

I couldn’t help rooting for naïve Jenny. She knows what she wants, and is determined to get it, so much so that she loses sight of what’s in front of her or just plain ignores it. I wanted to shake some sense into her a few times, and couldn’t wait for her to figure
Judy Rolph
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Possibly Clodagh Murphy's best written book- she beautifully captures of of her characters emotions with such depth and detail- you become immersed in their lives and don't want to put them down. The premise of this book- a young mistress being spun into an acceptable partner for a politician is priceless. Should be a major motion picture. Funny, sad and sweet, with a little bit of sexy thrown in for good measure. Can't wait for Clodagh Murphy to write another book!
Leah
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jenny Hannigan is the type of girl who likes a good party. But what she really craves, after a difficult childhood, is a man and a family to call her own. So when she meets recently separated politician Richard Allam, she falls head over heels for him and he her. However Jenny’s not exactly the model of politician’s girlfriend so Richard hires Dev Tennant, publicist extraordinaire to spin Jenny to the public and make their transition from private to public easier on everyone. However, as Jenny f ...more
Samantha March
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Girl in a Spin, the second novel from Irish author Clodagh Murphy is out the park good. This story has romance and betrayal, politics and scandal, and a delightful heroine who will not give up on love. I know some chick lit fans are wondering about the “politics” word I used, which isn’t so common for chick lit novels. Jenny Hannigan, the good-hearted and optimistic main character, falls for Richard Allam, a recently separated politician. Jenny thinks she has found true love with Richard. He is ...more
dakotapie
I thought for sure I was going to love this after reading Murphy's other book, Some Girls Do. Alas, I disliked every single character and by the end of the book was rooting for everyone to end up alone.

Jenny is such a naïve idiot and we're supposed to accept her cluelessness as being refreshingly honest and compelling, but she's just stupid and clueless. Her paramour Richard is your typical cliche'd middle age man going through a mid-life crisis, except he's trying to become the next Prime Mini
Lisa
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it but not quite as much pace as The Disengagement Ring. The romance took a little long to come through but overall a very good story exploring some alternative themes than you normally see in this category. For fans of Marian Keyes, Anna Maxted and Bernadette Strachan.
A writer who's at the top of my watch list.
Vivi Chatzikiriakou
" With a spin of romance in the air, Girl in a spin warms hearts and souls, leaving a sweet taste with its happily ever after ending."

Could the tittle been more perfect for what the story talks about? I believe not. The story line walks through a variety of situations for the heroen. From the uncomfortable occasions she takes part for her boyfriend sake to the most hilarious moments she spent with the one man she could never have, Girl in a spin was a totally spin of emotions for me, I have to s
Michelle Sallay
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Although this held my interest, I found the MC flighty and kind of obnoxious. I would have been ok with that if she had owned it better, but she just felt like a constant contradiction. At about 85% in, I read this line after our MC has just slept with a guy who we are supposed to be cheering for, but is is definitely NOT her boyfriend: "She wasn't in the habit of sleeping with people she shouldn't..." Um ok, throughout the book we learn she has had slept with 1. Her best childhood guy friend. 2 ...more
Elly
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blah. Not wonderfully written (there was a lot of exasperation and spelling it out, just in case you couldn’t join the obvious dots on your own) and while it was an easy read, it was kind of like a candy floss book read.

It was very plot driven, and the characters kind of let things happen to them, rather than seeking out their ambition, and I feel like it was an obvious outcome, because we only ever saw the first person perspective of Jenny and Dev. I would definitely have loved to see more of
BookWorm
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
For me this book was good but it could have been great. I liked the writing style and the characters were fairly complex but it didn't quite deliver all it could.

It's hard to invest in a romantic sort of book when the heroine is with the wrong guy for 99% of the book. One of my pet peeves is when a novel resolves the romantic story on the final page and that's what we got here. How about another few chapters or at least an epilogue?

Plus I think the heroine was meant to come across as bubbly and
Beth
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my 2nd book read by Clodagh ... I would say I prefer this one over the other ... if I am allowed to pick a fave ... love the cover ... quirky, weird, funny, I was laughing hilariously several times. humor gets me every time. I love these characters, I did get it from Instafreebie, such a great read, Must read from this to me unknown author ... I am hooked on her style of writing and I will be reading more from her very very soon. Such a great read. ( ;
Cb
Couldn't put it down

This story was a very modern twist on breakfast at tiffanys and the main character was even more engaging than Holly Golightly... Who knew that it would be possible to reinvent the wheel?
Lisa Bourne
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and couldn't put it down. The characters were all engaging, even if you could probably guess how it was going to end up. I am now going to stalk Clodagh Murphy's online catalogue :-)
Meredith
In Clodagh Murphy’s latest book, Girl in a Spin, politics, public relations and perceptions collide as the lines between fact and fiction gets very blurry.

Originally posted on The Librarian Next Door:

On the outside, Jenny Hannigan looks like a typical party girl: staying out to all hours, hazy memories, and copious amounts of alcohol. Underneath that misleading exterior, however, is a young woman who wants nothing more than the stability she has lacked all her life. When she starts dating Richar
Moon Love
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Hannigan is 24 years old. She's a nanny and has been seeing Richard Allam, a 36 year old rising politico for the past year. He's told her he's separated form his wife, Julia, but they've kept this information private. Jenny is sort of a free spirit. She's not had a conventional upbringing and has no family, having been in the foster system since she was a child. To help with Richard's image, Dev Tennant, an old friend, and publicist is brought in to add a positive spin to Jenny's image and ...more
Stella
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny is in love with Richard, a sexy, charismatic and recently-separated politician who, given the right circumstances, might be able to lead his party to victory in the next election. Party girl Jenny isn't quite the right match for such a man's public profile. Richard's friend and spin doctor, Dev, is called in to take matters into hand, discovering Jenny's secrets which would be better left in the past for the good of the party. As the election nears, and Jenny sees her future with Richard t ...more
Anna
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read the summary of this book and was blown away by its ambition. Amazingly, Murphy actually pulls it all off. Jenny is exuberant, magnetic, and believably imperfect. She tries so hard to love every boyfriend she has ever had, to no avail. Finally, with Richard, candidate for Prime Minister, she has managed to convince herself that she has found The One. Enter, the biggest most hulking obstacle to believability in Girl On a Spin. Why on earth would Jenny even want to fall in love with Richard? ...more
Aileen
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Hannigan is a bit of a party girl, with an awful childhood and shady past she works as a Nanny.
Jenny starts dating Richard Allam, a Politician and who is standing to be the next Prime Minister.
Jenny is not what we would call “PM wife Material” so Richard asks top publicist Dev Tennant to introduce Jenny to the party and the public.
However Jenny’s shady past comes out and as the Election approaches her life is in turmoil, and she wonders if Richard is what she really wants.
This book is real
Christi
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right 'round

What a weird, sweet story! I still have some trouble admitting that I have begun to like this genre. It started as a fluke and has grown into a guilty pleasure! This book was a nice addition to my reading list. It was a little twisty, getting to the happily ever after, but it was satisfying!
Carrie (Rotten Banana)
3.5 stars but could've been 4 if not for the rushed ending. Also, I would have appreciated some sexy times in the story as it was hard to understand why exactly Jenny stayed with Richard and to help explain her attraction to Dev. Jenny was the one character who really got under the skin and you could see why men fell at her feet. Enjoyable story.
Bee
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our bubbly and lovely heroine is hiding a dark and sometimes disturbing past. It has shaped her idea of love and what life should be like... what life she thinks she wants.

Dev, our sometimes protagonist, is determined to oust her from herself...freeing her from her inner demons.

Well written and enjoyable read.

Pam
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book and the characters! A light read. Just found it hard to believe that someone could date a major political candidate for a year without someone in the press finding out. Loved that the author utilized characters mentioned in previous book.
Mandy
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! Check out my review for it at http://www.beautyandlace.com.au/bookg...
Queen
May 01, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: Any fan of Sophie Kinsella
look for my review on www.queenofreading.blogspot.com
Jenni
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this. I got completely caught up in the plot, I was supposed to be packing but had to keep reading one more chapter!
Lauren Agnew
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
A good quirky fun read, not heavy at all. I liked Jenny and as the story went on I grew to like Dev. I was rooting for him by the end and not Richard.
Christi
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5
Talli Roland
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Believable and likeable characters and a fantastic storyline, combined with a rare glimpse into the political word. A great read.
  • Bittersweet
  • Hook, Line and Sink Him
  • Finding Monsieur Right
  • Falling Is Like This
  • Finding Mr Flood
  • Up For Renewal: What Magazines Taught Me About Love, Sex, and Starting Over
  • Love Struck
  • The Prairie Bridesmaid
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
  • This Little Mommy Stayed Home
  • A Promise of Safekeeping
  • Hollywood Sinners
  • The Happy Home for Broken Hearts
  • Just Like Me, Only Better
  • Heaven Scent
  • Soutien-gorge rose et veston noir
  • The Good, The Bad And The Dumped
I was born and brought up in Dublin, with my two brothers and two sisters. I had a very happy childhood until I was 5, when I was sent to school. I spent the next thirteen years waiting to leave. After school I went to university to study French and Spanish, but I dropped out after a year.

In my early twenties I moved to London to seek my fortune. I didn't find it, but I had a lot of fun while I wa

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)