Start by marking “Promises to Keep” as Want to Read:
Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  14,705 Ratings  ·  1,088 Reviews
A "New York Times" bestseller and "a poignantly written novel that powerfully celebrates the power of love and friendship" ("Chicago Tribune")
Over the course of twelve novels, Jane Green has established herself as one of the preeminent names in women's fiction. In "Promises to Keep" she weaves a profoundly moving tale that will enthrall both new and old fans.
Callie Per
Published June 1st 2010 by Plume Books

Mickey Reed
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Shelves: audio, 2010
This book was a complete waste of time. I should have quit a long time ago, but I won't lie - I did want to know how it ended. I grew very tired of the anti-feminist, traditional gender roles agenda, though. Women who didn't want children ended up pregnant and being happy with babies because of a dying woman's wish. None of them was single by the end. They couldn't be happy unless their lives were on a specific (marriage and babies) track. It became very old. I thought this story was sad and unn ...more
Kathleen
Jul 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jane Green could be one of my favorite contemporary authors. In fact, I am making that official as of this moment. Her writing embraces the issues and challenges (real and perceived) of relationships and family life, and her discussion of them, through her characters, is often spot on. The description of the self doubting, the aspirations, the juggling of the demands of family and career and self (even when I might not have a lot of empathy for some of the characters) is honest and true to prese ...more
Kathryn
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather sad, yet beautiful story. The number of characters was a bit of a block for me, but all in all a worthwhile read.
Gillian
One: I really liked seeing a recipe at the end of every chapter.

Two: I've picked up this book at Borders, thinking that I should read something different for a change. I had my doubts, since I had always leaned more towards fantasy or action-packed novels. Then, I started reading this book two days ago, and I didn't regret it. It brought me through laughter and tears.

The book started with a look at various characters' lives; a peep into their past; an experience of their present. I have to be ho
Julie
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters but found the pace a bit off ... it seemed as though it took a long time to get there, to the heart of the book, and once it got there it all got tied up quickly and was over and done with. A bit of a roller coaster without the excitement, if you know what I mean -- anticipation and then you're in it, and then it's over and you're walking away.

I also got a bit confused, time-wise. I wasn't sure if the ending happened *rightaway* or if it was a year later. I think it happe
Debbie
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've only read a couple books by Jane Green and was not impressed but this book was unbelievable. Granted I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and have a toddler of my own but this book had me bawling. I was so invested in the characters and what happened to each that I almost couldn't finish the book out of fear of what would happen. Steff is your typical chick lit, flighty character and you can pretty much predict what would happen to her in the end. Still the story was written in such a way that it wil ...more
Hana Nur
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Positive aspects
-The author can write very well
-The recipe at the end of every chapter
-There were sad parts and I managed to shed a tear or two
-Although cliche and almost predictable, the story seems really honest and true to life

Negative aspects
-Uninteresting cover
-It takes quite a while to get into the real story or plot
-I can't really get into the story at all
-I had to skim through about half of the book so that I know the ending
-Frankly, the most boring chick lit I've ever read

Ashley
After I found out why this book was written, I almost felt pressured to rate it higher but I just can't do it. Granted after having read Dune Road today and directly following it with this novel, Promises to Keep was a much better book, but it is not without serious flaws.
Green has a habit of sharing details with the reader via dialogue and then, only a few pages later, that exact same tidbit is repeated. Either give the information to us through the character's thoughts or conversations...not
Marcia
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle, library, x2012
Actual Rating: **1/2

You know when a book starts out with a happy couple with two happy children living a happy life in the suburbs that there's probably only one direction in which the story will eventually go (clearly foreshadowed in the book's dedication). I was glad to see many characters find their way; others find what they didn't know they wanted. Recipes at the end of every chapter were intriguing; and Fingal, the Scottish deerhound, was endearing.

This could easily have ended up as a DNF
Meghan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I wanted a recipe at the end of every chapter I would read a cookbook
Girls Gone Reading
Promises to Keep was clearly a labor of love for Jane Green. Using the life of a dear friend as motivation, Green wrote a love story about friendship and loss.

Cancer has taken a lot from all of us, and Green does a tremendous job showing how cancer affects not just the victim but also everyone who loves him or her. Callie believed she was a survivor, but when cancer strikes her again everyone who loves her puts aside their differences and rallies to her side, as they should.

It is this positive s
Pat
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read Jane Green's book, The Beach House and I enjoyed the twisty turning way it melted characters into a story. It was fun reading. However I started this book and by the time I got to the 8th disk, I spent half of the time sobbing. I had to literally force myself to go finish the last 2 disks. I needed to hear the end of the tale. I suppose for anyone who has had a journey with a loved one through cancer, it is a very gut-wrenching experience and this book was just the story of that magn ...more
Jocelyn
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The queen of women’s fiction is back with her most emotional and powerful novel to date. Jane Green’s Promises to Keep is the story of Callie Perry, a successful family photographer in upstate New York. Callie’s younger sister Steff is a free-spirited city girl who has yet to land (in life, in love, or in work). And to complete the trio is Lila, Callie’s best friend who has finally found love (and unfortunately her love has a nightmare of an ex). The heart of the story comes when Callie is given ...more
Lois Duncan
This is a touching and well-written novel. I would give it four stars except for the irritating fact that the author got cutesy and used an irritating gimmick. Every chapter has a reference to food in it, and at the end of that chapter there's a recipe for that culinary delight. I found it impossible to invest myself in the story when I was being jolted out of it over and over again by being hit in the face with a recipe.

It would have been one thing if this were a humorous, light-hearted read, b
Catherine
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book completely took me by surprise. I didn't expect the twist of events that led me to basically bawl my eyes out during the last third of the book. I'm a sucker for happy endings...and though it didn't end like I thought it would, I found that Jane Green did a wonderful job interweaving lives of the characters in this novel. If there was a lesson to be learned it's this, "Make time to enjoy the ones you love. For time is fleeting, but love endures."
Kate
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a book! I won't lie and say that I'm trying to stop crying. Quite the tearjerker and what a wonderful story! I won't tell you why i'm crying but, you should read this book then go hold your family an tell them you love them. Love that every chapter ended with a recipie. Maybe I'll be domestic and make something.
Stacy
I haven't read a lot of Jane Green's books yet, but I've read a few and this one is the best one yet.
After getting halfway through, I just couldn't put it down and chose to stay up way too late to finish it. It was such an amazing story. I don't even have the words to describe it accurately.
Make sure you've got a box of tissues on hand.
Eileen
another great read by Jane Green

I enjoyed this story. Very well written but sad. Jane Greens books are quick easy reads and makes you think about how you would respond in those situations. I have yet to read a Jane Green book I didn't like.
Dalila.
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was genuinely heart-breaking,I never cried by reading a book like with this one.The book is wonderfully written and the characters are people you would want to know and can relate to.Would highly recommend
Kayrene Smither
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Loved this Jane Green read; really got all caught up in the family members, and their lives. Jane Green does not disappoint. Some heartbreak in this one for sure. Thank you, JG!
Wendy T
I loved this story mainly abouts sisters. This book made me laugh and cry and truly makes me wish I had a sister and had the relationship these two sisters had in this book.
Tina
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Za mene je ovo nepotpuna knjiga. Radnja je rasuta i bez fokusa. Cijela knjiga sve do samog kraja mi djeluje kao početak neke druge, bolje i potpunije izgradene knjige. Sam kraj mi se odvija prebrzo. Ma sve je zbrckano.
Emily
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy, quick read. I usually need to give myself a few weeks to finish reading a book, but the story flowed quickly and I found I didn't want to put it down. It was very emotional in the second half, which I liked. The actual story is probably not that memorable, but the characters were relatable and I was interested to see what they were going to do next. I will read more of Greens books if they are similar writing style.
Colleen
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smitha
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steffi is a chef in a vegan restaurant in New York. Being a rock chick, and living a life on her terms, Steffi is the worry of her dad, who wishes she settled down.

Mason is a publisher who frequents Steffi’s restaurant, and is about to move to London. He wants somebody to look after his dog while he is away.

Steffi’s sister Callie, an exuberant mom of two, is busy with her life in the suburbs, happy balancing her family, and her photography business.

Lila, Callie’s best friend, has finally found t
Angie
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second audiobook experience (also as a means of keeping myself engaged and alert on a long road trip). I was not a big fan of the narrator of this one. Her voice was too controlled and quiet (unless she was cursing - then it was too forced and loud). I kept thinking "she sounds so sleepy!" It drove me a little crazy if I'm being honest.

Narrator aside, I thought the character development in this book was pretty outstanding. I had very clear pictures of each character in my mind and felt like I u
Min
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about four women: two sisters, their mother, and a friend of one of the sisters.

The younger of the two sisters, Steff, (although an adult) is still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, much to the consternation of the rest of her family. Her older sister, Callie, is happily married with two children. Their mother, Honor, has been divorced for a number of years. The friend, Lila, is Callie's BFF and seems to have met the man of her dreams after kissing many p
Karalee
I am not as big of a fan of Jane Green's books now as I used to be. Jane Green's earlier books -- Jemima J or Mr. Maybe, for example -- were what I would classify as classic, high-end "chick lit." They were generally about young, single women struggling to find their place in the world....but they were also sharp and funny and witty and heartfelt. Jane Green's fiction today is what I would classify as "women's fiction" with much more "mature" themes about marriage, infidelity, parenting, illness ...more
Anne
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and enjoyed several books by this author, but this book was painful to read. The dialogue was cheesy and unnatural. I know that Green is an English author, but she based the book in the US. I found it irritating that she continually used the British terminology for things (crisps, mobile, buggy, etc), but then the soul British character was continually mocked for being an "English WASP."

As other reviewers have mentioned, every negative female stereotype is included (gold digger, harp
Madison Mega-Mara...: #31 Promises to Keep 1 2 Apr 10, 2014 06:02AM
  • Thin, Rich, Pretty
  • Fly Away Home
  • The Opposite of Me
  • Second Time Around
  • Get Lucky
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • A Field Guide to Burying Your Parents
  • The Island
  • Milkrun
  • Mommy Tracked
  • There's Cake in My Future
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Ireland
    $10.49 $2.99
“Life, Steffi has learned, carries on around the pain, making room for it, absorbing it until it becomes part of the daily fabric, wrapping itself around you and lodging itself in your heart.” 13 likes
“Where there is life, there is hope.” 11 likes