Start by marking “Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Whether you have experience drawing or are completely new to it, this exciting workshop-style book provides practical, inspiring, and creative exercises which will expand your drawing skills and provide a framework for integrating illustration with other mixed-media techniques, With a focus on drawing what you love and what is familiar, you will be led through the developm ...more
Spiral-bound, 144 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists

Emma Sea
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
My rating is not a judgement on Dunn's art of the utility of this book for others, but simply because I did not care for her style of art or her written voice. I could not relate to her world, although I certainly wish I had more donkeys and chickens in my life. Or alpacas. I feel a definitely lack of alpacas.
Cassie
I found this book quite inspiring! It's really not a "how-to" book and not for those that have it all figured out. This is for those who need a little push and helps to remind you of the magic in the world around you!
Tammy
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, art
Adored Katherine Dunn's artwork laced throughout. The author joyously shares her love of creating art with examples, quotes, ideas. This really made me look at my art differently, lots of fresh ideas popped into my mind since reading this one!
deanne belshe
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
An interesting look at one artists process, but there are better workshop guides out there. This felt a bit too particular and a little dated.
Clara
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasure to read and look through. Katherine Dunn's style of drawing and painting is loose, colorful, playful, and joyful--an aesthetic that I appreciate. No doubt that's a major reason why I enoyed the book.

But that's not the only reason. Dunn also provides information about her art-making process and her techniques. Some of it is more useful than others: there's some helpful information, for example, on how she uses pastels over acrylics; there's less useful advice (at least fo
Sharon P Stanley
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! when I bought it, I expected to read it, like it and then place it on the shelf, but I can honestly say in addition to being a good read, it's an excellent reference book as we'll. I find myself referring to it often when working on a collage project, or just for inspiration. The illustrations feature Katherine's beautiful artwork and pictures around her farm. Katherine remains one of the most inspiring artists around and this book makes it possible to look closely i ...more
Emily F.
Feb 23, 2011 is currently reading it
Absolutely love it! The story behind Kathrine's life on her farm with sweet donkeys, sheep, chickens and goats is very charming...I love her naive painting style. She gives some very down to earth advise to people who want to paint. She doesn't have a haughty way about her, she is a very real artist.
Mary
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Some very good suggestions here .... Working out your issues by painting and repainting a canvas over a period of days or weeks ..... Keeping a few words of inspiration. ... Sketches of inspiration. .... Illustrate something from your day every day.
"When you start a painting, it is something outside you. At the conclusion, you seem to move inside the painting." Fernando Botero
Jenn
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-technique
Not really my style, but interesting techniques to read about.
Lei
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Beautifully done, but not the kind of book that I was looking for. Slim on technique information. Not a book I would recommend for beginners.
Kate Merriman
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Katherine Dunn's loose and soulful style as seen in wonderful detail in this book.

Her tips, guidance and philosophy are warm encouragement to any illustrator or painter.
Mary Jane Gearhart
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved all the imaginative ways to create. A visual overload for those who love mixed media!
Jo
Apr 13, 2015 added it
A nice whimsical book with personal glimpses of the artist's motivations, process and goals.
Kimberly Sherrod
Dec 06, 2010
Natasha
Jun 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Collage Lab: Experiments, Investigations, and Exploratory Projects
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Cultivating Your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities & Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty & Success as an Artist
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
Katherine Dunn is an artist and writer of Apifera Farm, a magical place where art and animals collide. There donkeys host pie parties, old goats commune with pigs and sheep... and a puppet is learning Italian.

Katherine began her art career in Minneapolis where she illustrated for clients such as Target, Neiman Marcus, Hallmark, Gourmet, and Wall St. Journal. Her work has received awards from Comm
More about Katherine Dunn