Start by marking “Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz (Marvel Classics)” as Want to Read:
Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics)

Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz

(Marvel's Oz Comics #2)

The epic continues! Fresh off their landmark THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF OZ, superstars ERIC SHANOWER (Age of Bronze) and SKOTTIE YOUNG (X-MEN) return with L. Frank Baum's MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ. Join new characters Tip and Jack Pumpkinhead as they're whisked to Oz, and meet foes and friends! You've NEVER seen L. Frank Baum's masterpiece like this before... COLLECTING: The Marvel ...more
Published September 29th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz

Start your review of Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz (Marvel Classics)
Alejandro
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OZ-esome!!!

Creative Team:

Writer: Eric Shanower (based on the original works by L. Frank Baum)

Illustrator: Scottie Young

BACK TO OZ

If you think that since Dorothy was back in Kansas, that meant that it was the end of the adventures in Oz...

...you can't be more wrong about it!

The wonderful creative team of Eric Shanower and Scottie Young return to adapt the second book by L. Frank Baum and you are able to return to the magical land of Oz with them.

Some of the popular characters of the firs
Crystal
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit heavy on the gender roles but otherwise cute
Philip
Absolutely no clue what this book would be about, which is strange considering what a pervasive part of modern culture the original Oz story is. Lot of fun and fantastical characters here - Tip, Mombi, Jack Pumpkinhead, the Straw Horse, the Woggle-Bug, the Gump, and the last-pages introduction of Ozma - plus some welcome expanded roles for Scarecrow, Tin Man (aka Nick Chopper in this book), Glinda and the Queen of the Field Mice.

On the downside, Baum's vision of the "silly," all-female army that
Rebecca Johnson
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, graphic-novels
First cab off the rank this year is Eric Shanower and Skottie Young’s adaption of L. Frank Baum’s The Marvelous Land of Oz. Much like its predecessor The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (adapted by same), I was highly impressed by its loyalty to the original. Not only is its plot accurate, it has captured the spirit and youthful energy of Baum’s world superbly.

For those not familiar with the tale, The Marvelous Land of Oz tells the story of Tippetarius, known more commonly as “Tip”. Unlike Dorothy, Tip i
David
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Charming. Belongs in every home.
Justyn Rampa
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this volume even more. With the exception of the Scarecrow and the Tin Man, we have an entirely new roster of characters including Tip, Jack Pumpkinhead, Sawhorse, Woggle-Bug, the flying Gump, Mombi, and General Jinjur.

The text of the original book is one half of the inspiration behind the fantastic film, "Return to Oz" which I have seen at least 10 times if not more and LOVE!!!

Apparently the book is somewhat controversial because of the way some people read the character of General Ji
Sesana
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Marvelous Land of Oz is one of my favorite of the Oz books, and it would be better if not for how very much General Jinjur's revolt is a product of its time. It's profoundly sexist to modern readers, and was hardly forward thinking at the time. Shanower reads it as Baum clumsily attempting to address suffrage issues, and there's something to be said for that. (Jinjur and her army are varying degrees of sexist stereotypes of what women in the army would be like, but Glinda's female army is unfail ...more
Stephanie
   It’s been years since I read an Oz novel, yet I quickly fell into Marvel’s The Marvelous Land of Oz. I think the last one I read was something like Grandpa in Oz a good, oh, 17 or so years ago. It is the story of a little Gillikin boy named Tip, Jack Pumpkinhead, and the Sawhorse as they go on a journey across much of Oz, meeting faces both familiar and new and having quite an adventure. It took me no time at all to adapt to the wonky way logic and magic work in Oz, and the way the Scarecrow’ ...more
asmaa🌻
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book 3 of 7 finished for the booktubethon! This was such a delightful read and the gorgeous artwork deserves a whole star of its own (so far, Skottie Young has never failed to impress me with his stunning works). I like this second instalment better, the plot and events were much more enjoyable. Also, can I just say, I'm very fond of these marvel adaptations now, especially of how the team seems to take great care with how they work with the original books (granted, I appreciate the inclusion of ...more
Kathleen
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was my first graphic novel. The book started out slow, but picked up by the middle. It turned out to be a cute story, but so much different then I had imaged. Being that I am a big fan of the Wizard of Oz I now would like to read more of the Oz graphic novel.
Books on Stereo
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oz introduces far too much content that fails to add relevant to an already captivating story resulting in a drawn narrative.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

Another absolutely fabulous rendition of an OZ book by Shanower and Young. This is actually only as far as I've read of the original novels and I am inspired to start reading them now so that I can have read the book before continuing on with the next graphic novel. I own a gorgeous collection of the Baum books. This story only brings back a few old friends from our first encounter with Oz namely Scarecrow and Tinman and briefly for the last chapter Glinda.
Emilie
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Hm... Okay, so I think I liked the first book better than this one. The art felt a bit rushed at times and I don't think I'll continue with this, especially since there are no libraries in Stockholm with this series and it is quite expensive. I'll just read the actual books and be happy with that.

I must say that two things that I though about when I read the book got extremely apparant in the graphic novel and can no longer be ignored:

1) Tip is so rude and angry. It is not as magical a story wh
zaCk S
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
the main draw of the marvel oz series is skottie young. he's why you pick up individual issues. why you buy the bound hardback volumes. he's why this oz series is selling and winning awards. which is why i can give this 4 stars here. while the writing in volume 1 felt new and concise, the similar tone in this second volume, instead of feeling quick and to-the-point, feels less like it's geared to a younger audience and more like a reader's digest. the wit feels like it's leaving in favor of simp ...more
Naomi
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

A graphic version of the Frank Baum Wonderful Wizard of Oz series books. I think it will be a creative way to introduce kids to the dynamic book. Not being a graphic arts fan, I found it creative, but I wasn't taken away with it as some of the reviewers were. On that note, I will say that I enjoyed this one more than the first in series.
Nickcole
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4

Oh what fun I had reading this retelling of the story. The art was fantastic and the forwarding letter was again and good part on letting you know why the author loves Oz so much.
Erica McGillivray
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Art super cute. Story remains true to original book, but it means it has the same mixed messages about gender and gender identity.
Emma Gear
The second of five comics based on the original Wizard of Oz books! The first one was hard to review because EVERYONE knows the story of the first Wizard of Oz because EVERYONE'S seen that old movie. Even if it was based more on the book than the movie you still knew 90% of the plot beats and knew what to expect (The art by Skottie Young was gorgeous though!)

This is the second, and where most people drop off of knowing anything. Centered around a boy named Tip who is living with a very evil old
Toi Thomas
I read this book in comparison with the original story and was very pleased. I was surprised at how well these books kept to the original source material considering the transfer of written words into a visual medium.

Kudos to Marvel for doing a great job releasing a quality product. Eric Shanower adapted the story simplistically and beautifully. The art of Skottie Young was intricate and engaging. I loved his use of light and altering color schemes to set the tone and establish the ever-changin
Chasity
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This was delightful and silly and absurd graphic novel with great art and great characters. My favorite character was Pumpkinhead with his constant fear of his own mortality. Was such an odd group of characters ever assembled as a tin man with the warmest heart, a scarecrow with valuable brains, a woggle-bug who is highly magnified and thoroughly educated, a living saw horse, a pumpkin head, and a young boy on the run from an evil witch who wants to turn him into a marble statue for her garden? ...more
Michael
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
If Marvel didn't publish this, I honestly wouldn't read a single thing from their current output.

This series, however, is superb. Marvelous isn't as good as the original, through no fault of Shanower or Young. The story's just a little vague at times: Scarecrow's overthrown, flees to Tin Woodman for aid, they return and can't reconquer Emerald City (with only one more ally, even if he does have an axe? what else did they expect?), so it's off to see Glinda - with a cute, but longish side-trip al
A B
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

Another well-done adaptation of a beloved novel to the graphic novel format. The color was nice and did a better job than the previous volume of bringing the bright, vibrant world of Oz to the page. It follows the story well. I particularly liked this version of the Wogglebug, T.E., which still pains me to learn was not a particularly popular character. I love his puns!

What I did not like: WTF is up with the Scarecrow? He looks like something from a horror movie. The Tin Man, my favorite charact
Molly Lazer
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've now finished this for a second time, this time reading it with my four-year-olds. They really enjoyed it, as did I. Skottie Young's artwork continues to delight, and Jean-Francois Beaulieu's coloring is easily one of the best parts of the book. So why the four stars? This story isn't quite as engaging for me as The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, simply because it's mostly spent just journeying to, from, and back to the Emerald City. (Granted, so is TWWoO, but I found that one's journey to be more ...more
David
A pure delight. The illustrations and colouring are enchanting and the dialogue, based on Baum's distinct style, makes this a delightful read. It is the second in this series of trade publications that I have read and they make for a neat package on the comics bookshelf. Highly recommend for anyone who enjoys comic adaptations of much-loved novels.
K
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This contains all 8 volumes from The Marvelous Land of Oz series. It follows the journey of Tip & his friends as they try to outwit the evil witch who has raised Tip from an infant. They must make their way to the Emerald city & beyond to find help in defeating her. Excellent illustrations! ...more
Carrie Griffin
I sadly didn't enjoy this book as much as I did for the first one. This story to me just wasn't as interesting. Skottie Young's illustration style fits so well with the land. It's quite perfect. He's got this cute cartoony side to it but then blends in the strange and creepy side. I just love his artwork.
Jessica
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
The artwork is amazing as always, and considering my two favourite characters are the Scarecrow and Jack Pumpkinhead, I think I actually like this one more than the Wizard of Oz.
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
the twists and turns are beautifully done and I can't wait to read more! as I've said a few times now "I must have all of these."
Ahdom
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great adaptation of the the Oz books. I love the design and the look. This is faithful storytelling with stylish artwork!
Megan (ReadingRover)
Art is fabulous! Storyline is as expected with a bit of sarcasm and humor and even a bit of feminist revolution. Always love Oz retellings.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Bully Wars, Vol. 1
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 2: Fluff My Life
  • Middlewest, Book Two
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • Wait for Night
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 1: Madly Ever After
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 4: The Pentoculus
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • Farmhand, Vol. 2: Thorne in the Flesh
  • Family Tree, Vol. 1: Sapling
  • Middlewest, Book Three
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Basketful of Heads (Hill House Comics)
  • Upgrade Soul

Marvel's Oz Comics (6 books)
  • Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz