Start by marking “Rilke: Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Rilke: Selected Poems

Rilke: Selected Poems

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
These poems, selected from Das Buch der Bilder and the two parts of Neue Gedichte, show Rilke's deep concern with sculpture and painting. Written in his less mystical period (1900-1908), the poems exhibit Rilke's particular artistic and poetic power.

Rainer Maria Rilke was one of Germany's most important poets. His influences include the paintings of the Worpswedders and t
Paperback, Bilingual edition
Published May 22nd 2001 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about Rilke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rilke

Cat
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep this little book close and go back to it again and again. Each time, I discover yet another profound insight or turn of phrase. One reason I love it so much is there's the original poem in German on the left, and the translation on the right. And the translator has tried his very best to stay true to Rilke's simple, plain-spoken language. I particularly appreciate how ... quietly contemplative Rilke was without being too flowery or trying too hard. A real gem.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
It's National Poetry Month (April 2013) and I've been hoarding volumes of poetry all year in preparation. I've read Rilke before, and I'm still surprised at how sometimes a poem can start out with something mundane and end with greater emotional impact. Rilke is a master at this particular method.

When I requested this volume from Paperbackswap.com, I didn't realize it was on cassette tape - luckily I still had an old stereo with a working tape deck lying around. The poems are read by the transl
Sunny
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful little poet. Have to admit that I’ve not read much by him but this was impressive and in places very impressive. Here were some of the best bits:
• “Poetry if it was to be worth anything, must be as laborious as sculpture; that he must resist the temptation to write facile poems, laments and confessions, and must instead concentrate with minute attention upon things and person outside himself and having apprehended their significance, attempt to convey it in the fewest and fittest words
evan
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
MacIntyre's a fun translator. By contorting phrases to impose meter and rhyme he's creating some jaggedness, but something about this tight-collared strategy mirrors the harsher textures and formality of German. Here it's a matter of coarseness toward the end rhymes, especially clever slant ones that are a touch forced, the interior rhymes, and all those instants of gentler order. The resulting poems sound austere and archaic but nicely so--by feeling old they feel, rather they sound, more accur ...more
Misha Fredericks
My favorite was "A Woman's Fate"
Feliks
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is my personal favourite collection of Rilke's poems; they are very 'easy to take'...absent of any mysticism or religious ecstasy. Rilke (as assembled here) is simply deploying his amazing word-play on the world around him; for instance architecture; animals; events, the city he commutes through, trips to the country, various figures of people he encountered. Highly recommended as an initial way to get the measure of this poet. Each work is relatively terse and economical and compact. These ...more
Kristine Morris
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
My 2 stars is in no way reflective of the quality of Rilke's poetry but rather my limited ability to understand it. I decided to read this short collection because his poems are short and the language seemed relatively straight forward. It still felt like I was reading in an unfamiliar language.
James
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and am a great fan of the C.F. MacIntyre translations. The time period of this phase of writing strikes a chord in me. Rilke, "Your blood drove you not to form nor to speak, but to reveal."
Maggie Needham
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It seems impossible to give a star rating to a poetry book; some poems really spoke to me (I especially dwelled on the very first one,"Initiation,). Others, not as much. But my first foray into Rilke definitely intrigued me.
Morgane
"Piano Practice" was especially lovely.
Natalie
My favorites from this collection are: Memory, End of Autumn, The Song of the Waif, Faded, The Solitary.
carl  theaker
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artsy

Required reading for the literary and the German major.
Good for developing your cultural heritage.
Jack
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time reading Rilke. The first poem, "Initiation" was my favorite, but there are many nice ones.

Matt Holmes
Not bad, but not particularly moving. Probably the fault of the translator. Some things just don't cross the gap right.
Matthew Briggs
Maya
Jan 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Rilke getting rooked.. 4 53 Jun 04, 2016 08:34AM
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...