Start by marking “Morris the Moose” as Want to Read:
Morris the Moose

Morris the Moose (Morris and Boris)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  921 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
The cow, the deer, and the horse have four legs and a tail, just like Morris. But none of these animals is a moose! These different animals have one thing in common—their friendship.
Published March 15th 1991 by HarperCollins (first published January 28th 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Morris the Moose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morris the Moose

Tayebe Ej
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p4c
داستان درباره ی گوزنیه که هر حیوون چهارپای دیگه ای که میبینه فک میکنه اونم گوزنه. متاسفانه مترجمان (به دلیلی نامعلوم!) تصمیم گرفتن «موس» رو ترجمه نکنن، و این کل داستان رو برای بچه بی معنی میکنه، مثلا موریس یه گاو میبینه و میگه «چه موس بامزه ای!»، موقع خوندن این تیکه به جای اینکه با قیافه ی خندان بچه مواجه بشید، با یه قیافه ی متعجب روبرو میشید که اصلا نفهمیده داستان چی هست :))
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a book from my "I Can Read" collection for a while! Morris was not a favourite of mine as a child but my youngest son enjoyed his stories. The illustrations are cute, as are most from the '50s, Wiseman has a bit of Syd Hoff style to his animal people. A cute story that has Morris the moose trying to convince a cow that he is a moose since they share many of the same features. Upon asking a deer to solve their disagreement, the deer tells them they both are obviously deer and so on ...more
Paola L.
Personal Response:
My brother and I read Morris the Moose by B.Wiseman. My brother’s name is Brandon Patino Luna. He is five years old and is in kindergarten. My brother and I enjoyed reading the book; it was a humorous story. My brother was able to relate to this book himself. This was because he sometimes thought things had to be the way he believed. Even though Brandon is young he was able to understand the moral the story was trying to explain. I also was able to understand what the moral was
Cathy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old read this on her own, and then brought it to read to me because she enjoyed it so much.
Elijah Libert
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
From Elijah: "Morris needs to be educated. And book was really funny. And Morris called a cow a moose."
Kenya Robinson
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so funny and I loved Morris. I wanted to take him home as a pet lmao. But I enjoyed all the characters and the way the story was written. I read this story in elementary school and I still remember it that's just how good it was.
Brittany Bradley
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
My kids loved it! They were laughing throughout the book.
Katie Fitzgerald
I was a big fan of Morris as a kid, but this is one the most boring and tedious I Can Read books I have read. My beginning reader zipped through it, but I don't think it made much of an impression on her either.
Alireza Emami
از کتابهای آموزش فلسفه برای کودکان
خوب بود
Rani
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Can all 4-legged creatures be the same? A fun re aloud for younger readers.
Jared Burton
Wiseman, Bernard. Morris the Moose. New York, New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1989.
Genre: Picture book – Fiction
This story is about a moose who hasn’t learned the differences between himself and other individuals. The tree characters all three cannot tell the difference either, they head out to find someone who can tell them the truth about who they are, on their way they stop for a drink of water where they see their selves through the reflection of the water and realize that they are in
Cara
This was a three book collection of stories about Morris the Moose.
I'd read the first two before, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the third book one I hadn't heard of before.
Morris goes to the Circus
Morris befriends a bear named Boris who tells him about the circus. Morris doesn't know what he is, so Boris takes him there. When Morris hears who there are no moose in the circus, he wants to be in the circus. Thus ensues ridiculous antics of moose trying different positions in the circus and
Emily
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Morris knows he is a moose and thinks everyone else is a moose also because they all look similar. When Morris meets the cow the cow has a hard time trying to get Morris to understand they are different when they decide to ask someone else. The deer wasn't any help. I used this book to do predictive reading with 2nd graders and by the time the horse came around I was able to cover all of the words on the page and they were able to accurately predict what the text said because it's repetitive. My ...more
James Jones
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Morris called a cow a moose and they went to a deer and he said that Morris the Moose and the cow were a deer and all those three went to a horse and the horse said "Hey you horses what are those funny things on your head?". They went to the pond and they all noticed they didn't look like each other. Then they all said "You mean that (they are not the same thing as the other persons". Then the cow said "You made a mistake and the moose said "I did not, I made a MOOSEstake."
Margaret Chind
May 27, 2013 marked it as hardcopy-review-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weekly-reader
Jacqueline Archdeacon
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
This book is a carefree and funny book! I enjoy how each animal thought the others were the same as their own, only because they each had four legs, a tail, and things on their heads. The book shows children to be accepting of each other's differences and to be open to making mistakes. Each character in the book made a mistake, but they all were OK with their mistakes in the end. The moose even says, "I made a MOOSEtake!"
Becca
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Morris the Moose is funny and could use a little help when it comes to life. Any preschool age till about first grade would enjoy Morris' stories. There is very understandable vocabulary and words to be picked out easily. There are also plenty of opportunities to use your best "moose voice" to make your readers chuckle along with you. Would recommend.
Rosa Cline
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Morris the Moose books are fun to read with your child (or have them read) His way of thinking is always backward from real life, and always funny. Nice for little guys to laugh and giggle along the story. In this one he comes across a cow and a deer and they all think they are each other...Morris thinks they are weird looking moose, the cow think they are all cows etc.
Jonathan
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very clever and it teachers students again about inclusion. It describes how a moose, a deer, and a horse are confuse each other for their own; a cow ends up being the one that shows the animals that they are different from one another. It teaches students that different people can live in harmony together.
Crissy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Morris tries to make some general characteristic observations and he learns that another can look at the same thing and make completely different observations. We learn with Morris that we have to really think things through and look at the whole picture just not bits and pieces.
Anna
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-by-myself
Its funny how he thinks everybody is a moose and how the deer thinks everybody is a deer. And the horse does. And I like how the horse says, "hi there you horses. What are those silly things on your head?"
Judah
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is ok. I liked it. But I kind of didn't like it. Because at the end where it says that I did not make a mistake, I am a mistake. That is kind of bad. Because you are not always bad just because you did one bad thing.
Romaskruse
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have had the Morris the Moose collection for quite a few years now and we continue to go back to them whenever the kids are in the mood for a good laugh. My son will laugh so hard while he reads these that he can't even breath. They are just good for a fun and silly time!
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Very cute book. It's funny and children seem to like the story. This would be good to use maybe in a science class when talking about classifying animals. They may seem to be one thing, but really they are something else.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
An okay "learning to read" book. A moose thinks a cow is a moose. He asks a deer, who assures the moose that the cow is a deer. The moose and the deer then ask a horse, who assures them all that the cow is a horse. And so on and so on.

Okay illustrations.
Noxeni
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Actually kind of funny.
Morris insists everyone is a moose, and it's good for teaching differences with the animals and with ourselves and each other.
I also got to show my students how big moose were (we were studying big/bigger/biggest) and they were so shocked they were like screaming.
Cara
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always liked this book as a child, though rereading it as an adult I'm not really sure why, but it still holds a special place in my heart.
The illustrations are cute even if all of the animals but the cow are stupid, lol.
Ms. B
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: early-chapter, 2016
Morris thinks a cow is a moose. A deer thinks the cow and Morris are deer. Will they be able to shake their mistaken identities? For early readers who are looking for a funny story. Both my grandson and I liked this one.
Leslie Hayden
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: total-books-read
morris the moose was a great example for kids to learn comparisons and to learn identification. the pages were appropriate length to keep a child's attention and only had pictures relating to the story line. it was a cute book and my daughter sat through the whole thing and tried to read along.
Roger
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Challenges assumptions.
  • Oliver
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Zack's Alligator
  • Oscar Otter
  • Diary of a Worm: Teacher's Pet (I Can Read!, Level 1)
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Where's the Bacon?
  • Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles
  • Driving Buddies
  • The Berenstain Bears at the Aquarium
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Dixie
  • Flying High (DC Super Friends)
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Splat the Cat with a Bang and a Clang
  • Pinkalicious: The Princess of Pink Slumber Party
  • No Fighting, No Biting!

Morris and Boris (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Morris Is a Cowboy
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Morris and Boris: Three Stories
  • Halloween with Morris and Boris
  • Morris Has a Cold
  • Morris Tells Boris Mother Moose Stories And Rhymes
  • Christmas With Morris and Boris
  • Morris Has a Birthday Party!
  • Morris and Boris at the Circus

• Where We Fall
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Over the Plain Houses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Deep Harbor (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Mustard Seed
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black: A Novel
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99