Start by marking “The Spiritual Man” as Want to Read:
The Spiritual Man

The Spiritual Man

An intriguing exploration of the great transition between life and the after-life.
Published September 20th 1968 by Christian Fellowship Publishers (first published January 1st 1968)

Michelle
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book for what I would call the casual Christian. It takes maturity and commitment to read and understand the content. I started it in October 2011 and found myself stopping at several parts of the book to start a mini-bible study on a certain point. The one thing about the book that I enjoyed the most was that it was based on the Bible, referred to the Bible and pointed you back to the Bible. This is one of those books that will remain a part of my library forever.
Keith
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has taken me the best part of a year to read. It is so deep and insightful that it has to be read in small chunks, digested and absorbed.

"The Spiritual Man" is a very thorough treatment of the way that the human spirit, soul and body interact with God and with the world. Too often we make assumptions about the way that human beings work that are just not right. If we read the Bible closely we find that it is full of references about the way we are made and the way that we fellowship wi
Amy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The most in-depth and comprehensive book on spirituality in existence. Greatest author on Christian spirituality. I had to reread several chapters to fully grasp the meaning, and as I reread it throughout my life, as I grow in my faith, it is amazing how new things stand out to me in the book.
David Sunwall
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watchman Nee has amazing spiritual insight. This book will open your eyes to a spiritual world which our modern culture has rejected. Whether we believe it or not, the spiritual and physical realms are intimately connected, and God provides a way and desires for us to live victoriously in both worlds. Obviously, Jesus is the means to do so.
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
This is a deep eye-opener book. You have to be spiritually mature in Christ to really understand this. This has definitely matured my walk with God. Only God Himseld imparted this wisdom to Nee.
Toby Knoblauch
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a tough read. But it's a must-understand subject: The Christian life in the Spirit vs. a Christian life lived in the flesh. The evangelical church nowadays has mostly forgotten this teaching, and has reduced the "flesh" to mean only outright sinful activities as immorality, debauchery, etc. But that you can actually pray, preach, evangelize and do missions work in the flesh has been forgotten and so we see a lot, I mean a LOT of activity in/by the church, but only very little fruit. Because ...more
Gerald
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In all honesty, I have never read any other book like this one! It is so life changing. It gives you loads of insight into the intangible parts of who we are - the spirit, the soul, the mind, the emotions etc. I still can't believe what I read in The Spiritual Man! I am in awe.
There were lots of highlights and notes I made while reading this book and I know they will be of great value in the times ahead.
Every serious christian should have The Spiritual Man on his shelf.
Jason Shuttlesworth
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th or 5th time reading this book and I firmly believe one of the most important I've ever read. It's incredibly useful, but somewhat difficult to read. Not difficult as in-too difficult to comprehend-rather difficult as in it's so truthful it actual hurts.

This book could also be titled 'The right way to be human.'
Thomas Hogan
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal breakdown of spiritual truth. One of the most relevant and practical books i've ever read. Definitely top 3 in the "must read" category if you are to take your faith seriously and have implications beyond the immediate.
Phil
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book rocked my entire universe. Watchmen Nee is truly a blessing from God who's knowledge and wisdom surpasses many. Read it. Study it. Know it.
Jae Green
Awesome book.. but; you have to be spiritually ready to deal with yourself in order to understand....
Patti
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book 3 times!
Tasha Swinney
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Should be on the "Required Reading" list for all Christians.
Olabode Ososami
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book...very deep and goes into bold details on the spiritual life...not for those not seeking a little more depth...
Bryant Rudisill
Aug 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
A trichotomist with some strange theological underpinnings.
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Honestly read it a long time ago. He definitely gave me a new perspective to think about. I remember liking it at the time, but I would have to reread it to get a feel for it again.
Shawn
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Watchman Nee:

Watchman Nee was a Chinese Christian teacher who lived during the 20th century. Nee published many books; and established churches throughout China. Following the Communist Revolution, Nee was persecuted and imprisoned for his faith and spent the last twenty years of his life in prison.

Nee’s personal library encompassed over three thousand titles on church history, spiritual growth, and Bible commentary. Nee is said to have spent one-third of his income on personal needs, one-third
Dave
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great quotes: "How often the intents of the heart are utterly pure and yet the thoughts in the head are confused....lacking spiritual insight...They reject every other truth because these do not blend in with their preconceived notions."
"To have our intellects renewed we must draw near to the cross...Salvation is more than a general vague thing...God wants to renew our minds...Patiently and decisively must the Christian examine every one of his thoughts--but in the light of God. Whatever is ot o
Alex
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Need to be read at least once a year...like the Bible in its entirety!
AshleyTee
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. This books is in line with the Bible in guidance and instruction.
Hester Beukes
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Watchman Nee does well to separate spirit, soul and body, worth a five star review.
Aaron Cliff
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Made me a trichotomist.
Kathleen Derbyshire
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read. Profound.
Roshan
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for those who seek Christian spiritual life
Barney Wiget
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Though way too long and repetitive, no one makes a better case for the tripartite nature of humans and how to distinguish between them.
Sagely
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Watchman Nee writes in the Second Preface,
I desire my readers to understand thoroughly that this work is in now way to be considered on the theory of spiritual life and warfare. I myself can testify that I have learned these truths through much suffering, trial and failure.
He goes on later to say,
I deeply sense that only one class of people will actually understand this book. My original purpose was to supply the need of many believers; obviously only those who have need will be able to appr
J.E.
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It took me forever to get through this book, not just because it was huge but because I was making notes and underlining every other word and stopping to pray and cry because it's just that awesome. This entire book is based on the understanding of the 3-parts of the human nature (Body, Soul and Spirit) which can be controversial in comparison the idea that humans are only divided into a body and soul/spirit but Nee's arguments can be applied outside of just this. There are a few extremes, for i ...more
Scott
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Very deep. I like it. I had to really meditate on some of the concepts. The author took the subject material at a grounds-eye view, picking out every little nuance to make a point. Now I love that, but it can get a little old and makes it harder to remember past points to pull everything together to get the main point-hence the meditation part. But it really helped me in my spiritual walk with God.
Ricardo Meneghelli
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
O livro possui 3 Volumes, sendo que apenas o primeiro e parte do segundo apresentam conteúdo consistente e bem fundamentado. Depois disso o livro é muito especulativo, a leitura é cansativa e pouco produtiva. Vale acrescentar que a visão de Nee sobre o reino de Deus, ao meu ver, é equivocada, concebendo-o no futuro, como o dispensacionalismo clássico de Darby.
Umekwe Umekwe
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Must read for every person who is a disciple or has a desire to become a disciple of Jesus Christ. This is a book that will strip you of all pride and bring humility to your spirit when you consider how flawed our nature as humans are and how unable we are to be good except God inspires us to do so.
  • War on the Saints, The Full Text, Unabridged Edition
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • Against The Tide: The Story of Watchman Nee
  • The Works of Jonathan Edwards
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life Study Guide (Life and Ministry of Jesus Christ)
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
  • Watchman Nee: Man of Suffering (Heroes of the Faith)
  • The Holy Spirit
  • Best of A. W. Tozer
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • A Godward Life: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life
  • Called to the Ministry
  • Destined for the Throne
  • Let Go: To Get Peace and Real Joy
  • The Gift in You: Discover New Life Through Gifts Hidden in Your Mind
  • The Fingerprint of God: Recent Scientific Discoveries Reveal the Unmistakable Identity of the Creator
  • Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God
Watchman Nee (Chinese: 倪柝聲; pinyin: Ní Tuòshēng; Foochow Romanized: Ngà Táuk-sĭng; 1903–1972) was a Chinese Christian author and church leader during the early 20th century. He spent the last 20 years of his life in prison and was severely persecuted by the Communists in China. Together with Wangzai, Zhou-An Lee, Shang-Jie Song, and others, Nee founded The Church Assembly Hall, later which would b ...more
“The Spirit is both a builder and a dweller. He cannot dwell where he has not built; He builds to dwell and dwells in only what he has built.” 19 likes
“Attempting to follow Him without denying the self is the root of all failures.” 5 likes