Start by marking “The Wicked House of Rohan (The House of Rohan, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked House of Rohan (The House of Rohan, #0.5)

The Wicked House of Rohan (The House of Rohan 0.5)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  2,042 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
A fallen woman. A most wicked plan for redemption.

Venice, 1740.

That innocence is precisely what a mysteriou
Published July 1st 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked House of Rohan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked House of Rohan

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Completed Reread 8/8/15

I needed a quick palate cleanser after a less than satisfactory DNF romance. Anne Stuart always does the trick. I allowed my Kindle Text-to-Speech to read to me as I was supposed to be going to sleep early this morning, and it was lovely. I usually avoid super short romance stories because they just don't work. This is a very short story, but it manages to have everything I would want in the very short length. What a risque storyline, but pulled off excellently. Even thoug
Blackjack
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Fun intro to the Rohan series that I somehow never got around to reading. Trademark Anne Stuart bad boy lusts after an honorable and upright young woman who feels disdain for him. This book though features a bit more of a mellower version of some of her deadlier heroes, and maybe I'm just getting older, but I kind of like the less cold-hearted Stuart heroes now. Alistair is still hedonistic and cynical, but when he sets eyes on Kathleen, he is left battling between wanting to bed her and wanting ...more
Dina
"Strange" read. Not bad, but not good enough to tempt me into reading the series.
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

Kathleen Strong is down on her luck and in need of a new job after false rumors ruin her career as a governess. The newly established Heavenly Host, a debauched mens club, offers to pay her well and send her home to England in exchange for her virginity. Handsome rake Alistiar Rohan, founder of the club, has a slightly different proposition for her, one that she can't refuse.

I read this in preperation for the ARC copy of Shameless
Robin
After being dismissed from her job as a governess, Kathleen Strong has no money to return home to England. Desperate and starving, Kathleen arrives at an interview for a new job. But the job is not what she thinks. A group of men calling themselves the Heavenly Host wants a virgin for their nights entertainment. Alistar Rohan leads this group of aristocrats with a dark ritual on their minds.

This is a very short prequel to Anne Stuarts House of Rohan series. It was only 39 pages and reading it di
Ruth
Wicked House of Rohan

This is a rather pleasant vignette. The whole premise is unsettling, as it's supposed to be, probably more because of the heroine's acceptance of the offer than because of the offer itself. There is practically no character development, but I like the plot and the scene-setting is good. You know how desperate the heroine is, you can feel it, and you know how cynical the hero is and how pathetic he is.

3 stars.
Aoi
Nov 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hf-italy
Huh??!! A little too rushed, a little too unbelievable.

I don't know if this is me getting old, but our heroes- rakes devoting themselves to chasing pleasure- had me rolling me eyes. Definitely the kind of men I'd find irresistible /sarcasm
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
2'5 🌟
No es que esté mal, es que es un relato excesivamente breve que parte de una idea con la que se podría haber hecho una buena novela romántica y erótica de enaguas. Me he quedado con las ganas de saber mucho más. Tampoco creo que unas cuantas páginas más para hacer un final algo menos precipitado y loco le hubieran venido mal.
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a prequel to the House of Rohan series (Ruthless, Reckless, and Breathless). It is a publicity tool and very short. I got it free from eharlequin and would not have paid for it.

The story did what it was supposed to do and made me interested in the series. I was skeptical, but interested nonetheless.

The story sets up the beginning of the Heavenly Host--a group of men looking for debauchery and wanting more than what they have found so far, so they choose to make a society of members like
Patricia
For some time now I've been wanting to read Anne Stuart but as usual my TBR goes on and on and sometimes the best is left for last.
Even though I only read it now, I know that I'm in for a ride with this lady's and the so called gentleman that marvelously live between this pages.

Venice, 1740.

Erika
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

First of all, I had this weirdest sensation short after I started reading:
He’d looked very much like that man, from the tousled wave of thick brown hair, the piercing blue eyes—the mouth perfect for kissing. A knight on a white stallion, come to rescue her.

And then...
She had a hard time pulling her gaze away from the man’s eyes. They were a golden color, like dark honey, and that made her think of toast and tea and rich pastries…

See what I mean? She was talking about the same man. T
Eastofoz
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Well this sucked the big one. Why? Because there’s zero development and totally out of the proverbial left field comes this “I love you” (!) What the ***? I know it’s a short story and it was free on Harlequin but why bother if this is all you’re getting?

It’s starts out well with a down on her luck heroine who answers an ad for what she thinks is for a governess’ position with a family in Venice. At the interview she has a twilight zone moment when she meets a bunch of creepy guys who tell her
LuvGirl
Waaaaay too short! The story was rushed and did not ring true in the least. The characters were not developed, (but how could they in such a short story)? I BOUGHT this e-book for my first read on my new Kindle, but it should definitely be free! No wonder they are letting you read it for free on another site. I wish I had done the research to find out how to read it for free before I spent my money on it. I actually wouldn't even call it a book, it was more of an excerpt with an ending! I mean w ...more
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This was a really sweet story and I wish that it were full length. It would have been nice to see Kathleen when she was younger and her crush on Alistair. I should have read this first instead of last because I remember someone mentioning a distant cousin named Alistair in one of the Rohan books, but now I cant remember what they said about him. I didn't know who he was at the time so I didn't take notice. Otherwise this can be read anytime throughout the series and doesn't affect the story.
Mojca
A real quickie, pleasurable and enjoyable despite its shortness. I feel rather compelled to read the "true" trilogy.

P.S. I still wish this one was a little longer. The ending seemed a bit rushed. I missed a little more "poetry". ;)
Jane Stewart
Nice, but too short to develop characters, motivations, events, etc. It takes place in one evening.

This took me less than 20 minutes to read. It is available free as an ebook from Harlequin, but this free version does not convert to Kindle (as far as I know). I read it on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions. You can buy it for Kindle through Amazon.

It was nice. I liked it. It was like an opening scene for a book. It was too short to get into explanations, for example the lover had a change
Barb Manning
Kathleen Strong is desperate and starving in Venice, Italy 1740. She doesn't have many options in seeking employment. Kathleen's previous employer dismissed her for immoral acts, a charge she of which she is entirely innocent. She arrives for her interview with her potential employer and finds herself confronted by a gallery of rogues, namely the Heavenly Host. Alistair Rohan leads this group of debauched aristocrats bent of despoiling a virgin for sport and entertainment.

The short novella is a
Pamela(AllHoney)
The Prequel to the Rohan series. Katherine Strong is looking for a job and is willing to do just about anything.

Too short to really appreciate. The idea/plot/storyline was intriguing but since it was so short it was unable to develop the characters or story enough for my weird taste. I don't think anyone needs to read it in order to read the rest of the series. Still it would probably appeal to some out there.
willaful
Reread before starting Ruthless. I guess I was exactly in the right mood for this, because I enjoyed it quite a bit more on the second read, despite its briefness. Short and to the point -- he's bad, she's good, they're made for each other, end of story.
Jonetta
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Very short introduction to the Rohans. It was entertaining for such a brief story but it adequately explained the roots of the series. The romance between Kathleen and Alistair was also pretty intriguing. You don't need to read this to follow the series but it didn't hurt.
Rachel
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, freebies
Anne Stuart is my go-to author for grittier "romance." She knows how to pen the dark and edgy alpha anti-hero who I apparently love to read about. Though entirely too short, this definitely has me excited to continue with the series.
Sheila Melo
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
FINAL DECISION: A hot little story that introduces the premise of the series. The story is very short, but I enjoyed the interaction between the characters.

THE STORY: Kathleen Strong is desperate. Tossed from her position as a governess for immortality, Kathleen is homeless and starving when she is brought to a group of aristocrats for a job. But what she doesn't know is that they want her innocence for one of their "games". Alistair Rohan is intrigued by Miss Stong and despite her wanting nothi
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Wow! I admit to reading this prequel after I had already read the four books that have been published in this series. *Read between the lines = I hope that there are more books to come in this series*

The Heavenly Host is just an idea. A group of horny and worthless men that have made a group with the idea of having all kinds of kinky fuckery and sacrifices and rituals.

One of them is the gorgeous male specimen, Alistair Rohan.

They bring to his home the fi
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2.5 STARS

“A fallen woman. A most wicked plan for redemption. Venice, 1740. Desperate, starving, Kathleen Strong makes her way to a job interview that promises a chance at proper employment...and maybe a bite to eat. Accused of "gross immorality," she's adrift after being dismissed from her governess position, despite being entirely innocent. That innocence is precisely what a mysterious group of debauched aristocrats finds so alluring about Miss Strong. When they propose a scandalous offer that
Duchess Nicole
This was okay. If you've already read any of the House of Rohan series, I think it would make more sense. Which sort of defeats the purpose of a prequel. But the story was short and nice. I actually think this could easily me made into a novella by extending the story just a bit and making the H/h relationship into one with a bit more depth. They were both likeable characters who already had a history, and that could have been elaborated on. Still worth the read, especially since I wanted more!

Not Now...Mommy's Reading
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anne Stuart fans
Tammy Walton Grant
Too short!

I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem to set up the "Heavenly Host" club with a whole lot of detail that wasn't included in Ruthless as well. And who was Rohan? And what about her brother (his friend)? And what happened? Did they make it? And isn't this roughly the same story as Ruthless?

It sets the tone nicely for the series -- I'm going to re-read Ruthless because of it. I have to say though if I'd read this first I might have been disappointed that there is no mention of these two in Ru
Angela Wade
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
You need a full-length book to appreciate Anne Stuart in all her complex glory. This very short ebook exemplifies the reasons I stay away from romance-genre short stories; without time for plot and characterization they read like smut.

I will be waiting for the actual series to begin, because when all is said and done I'm a Stuart fan. Just not like this.
Mitzi
I can’t believe I never read this before…..I loved books 1-4 in print and audio…but forgot about this little gem. It’s a good short read and sets the stage for this series. Reader Beware!!! This series contains very hot love scenes and ‘bad ass’ rakes that are over the top…Good thing they meet some wonderful women that are more than a match for them….Enjoy!!!
Jenny
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Ebook available at

Not a fan of ebooks but I love Anne Stuart and this was the only way to read the story. It was a very steamy. I was a little sad when it ended. I was left wanting more.
  • Northfield
  • Hysteria
  • His Lady Mistress
  • All Tied Up (Pleasure Inn, #1)
  • The Pearl at the Gate
  • In The Warrior's Bed (McJames, #2)
  • Dark Legacy
  • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
  • White Tigress (Tigress, #1)
  • Penelope and Prince Charming (Nvengaria, #1)
  • Goodbye Blues, Hello Love
  • Enchanting the Lady (Relics of Merlin, #1)
  • Seducing Jane Porter (Jane Porter, #1)
  • The Glades
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Venus in Blue Jeans (Konigsburg, #1)
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Mistress by Mistake (Courtesan Court, #1)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart

The House of Rohan (5 books)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)
  • Heartless (The House of Rohan, #5)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“I won't marry you."
"Of course you will," he said. "Why wouldn't you? You followed me around like a puppy dog all those years ago, which was pure misery, because I wanted nothing more than to toss you down in the straw and despoil you, and you were too damned young. Back then I had scruples. Fortunantly, nowadays I have none."
"Then why do you want to marry me?" She said, shoving her hair away from her face.
"I have no idea." He said idly. "I expect I love you. Nothing else could account for such bizarre behavior on my part. I expect the captain of the packet ship can perform a ceremony. Are you ready?"
She didn't move. She couldn't marry him, and she needed shoes, and she wasn't sure which was the most important to argue about.”
12 likes