Start by marking “iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World” as Want to Read:
iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World

iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World (iZombie #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  5,520 Ratings  ·  756 Reviews
Told from a female zombie’s perspective, this smart, witty detective series mixes urban fantasy and romantic dramedy.

Gwendolyn “Gwen” Dylan is a 20-something gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery. Once a month she must eat a human brain to keep from losing her memories, but in the process she becomes consumed with the thoughts and personality of the dead person – until s
Published March 22nd 2011 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about iZombie, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Jonathan The two aren't really related. Think of the TV show as a re-imagining. There are a few elements that they kept, but it barely resembles the comic and…moreThe two aren't really related. Think of the TV show as a re-imagining. There are a few elements that they kept, but it barely resembles the comic and just my opinion (and I fully expect to get hate), but I think the show might be superior to the comic.(less)

Anne
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

description

This was fluffy for a story about a zombie. Really fluffy. So if you don't think fluffy and zombie belong in the same sentence together...move on.
I am personally a big fan of Fluff. I wallow in the shallow and the silly. And if it's fun, I'll willingly accept plot holes and inconsistencies.
What can I say, it's part of my charm?

description

Gwen is a zombie. But she's a cute zombie, not to be confused with the nasty rotting corpses that you see shambling around on tv. The on
Matthew
Glad I finally read this! I have been thinking about doing so for a long time, and when I finally did, I blew through it in one day.

It is as humorous and creative as it is gory and creepy. If you don't mind your classic monsters mixed with a bit of wittiness and sass, this is a good title to check out.

I have heard about the show based on this, I am going to have to check that out, too!

Also, as a graphic novel reader knows, each issue should come with decent cliffhangers and unanswered questions
Jack Tripper
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

I was brought to this comic not by the current TV Show based on it, but by the fact that I'll buy anything with the Allreds' names plastered on it. I haven't kept up with their work nearly as much as I used to, but for my tastes there's not much out there in comicbookland that compares to Michael's snappy pop art and Laura's vibrant colors. And even though Michael didn't write this, he was involved in creating the characters and basic concept, so the story does still have some of that good ole'
Will M.
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I first heard about iZombie when I watched the pilot episode of the tv series about a year ago. The show wasn't mind blowing, but I enjoyed watching it. I'm actually still watching the show now that it's on its second season. How does this compare to the show? This graphic novel series is way better, in many aspects.

The show focuses on Gwen and how eating brains affects her. It's not boring, but it lacks the sense of complexity that the graphic novel has. I liked that the author managed to combi
David Katzman
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Monster lovers
You'd think zombies were done to death, right? But this is fresh! A sexy zombie!

Mike Allred - iZombie

iZombie is pure brains candy. And the art is otherwordly: Mike Allred's illustrations are delicious enough to eat. And Chris Roberson’s writing is bone chilled out. This isn’t scary monster land, this is a charming monster party.

The main character, Gwen, is a gravedigger in Eugene, Oregon. She looks relatively normal—mildly goth with ghostly pale skin. Only problem is—she has to eat brains or she'll lose her memory
Meredith Holley
Whaaaaa? I don’t even know how to react to this because I am so caught up with the locale description. This is set in Eugene, you guys. This book is set where I live! Only not. These people . . . and the places . . . so weird. Most of this takes place in a diner. A DINER! How weird is that? Have you even BEEN to Eugene? A diner called Dixie’s? Where the owner was part of the mafia? That crazy Eugene mafia. WTH? And it is open all night? I am lost to what you are trying to do here.

AND WHAT GRAVEY
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I recently stumbled across the iZombie TV series and it's hella fun.

When I found out it was very loosely based on a graphic novel series with the same name I put a hold on them at my library.

I enjoyed this one and plan to read the rest. It doesn't really compare in plot to the TV series, but it's still a fun read.

Since I'm dreading writing reviews this week, I shall give a few images of the novel and then recommend Anne's fan-f'ing-tastic review here. Because really, I should pay her to do m
Sam Quixote
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think the “Zombie Apocalypse” has happened and we are in the midst of it; zombies are everywhere, in comics, on tv, on film - they’re an entire sub-strata of pop culture and every single person on the planet knows what a zombie is. So it’s surprising to find that another comic book featuring zombies should prove to breathe new life into the oversaturated genre and discover an entirely new angle to approach it from.

Gwen is a zombie except she’s not a shambolic, rotting nightmare - but she will
Mike
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I really tried hard to like this book, but the art almost killed me to slog through. Roberson comes highly recommended through a recent War Rocket Ajax podcast interview, and I'm a big fan of the whole zombie ethic, so I really wanted to enjoy this.

However - and maybe it's really just me - but I have a hard time connecting with Allred's art style. It's clearly a style, and I'm aware he's got talent, but I'll tell you two things that hurt it for me: the scenes, no matter what angle you're looking
Elspeth
Meh.

It didn't flow well, the beginning was hard to get into.

I didnt like the main character, Gwen is quite the bitch. I really didn't like how she treated Scott, she is using him knowing fully well his feelings for her.

I did like the plot twist and the monster lore though.

I think I will just stick with the TV show.
Brad
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brad by: David Katzman
The Coolness—

• The main idea of iZombie vol. 1 Dead to the World is a thing of beauty if you're a horror fan (especially if you dig zombies). Gwen dies, wakes up undead and discovers that she has to feast on a brain a month or become a shambling mass of rotting flesh with an insatiable appetite. She is not just cute, she's hot (as David pointed out in his review, this is a wonderful change from the zombies we're used to seeing), and she has to navigate our everyday world while fighting and feedi
Sesana
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror, zombies
I admit it, I'm fascinated by this concept. A zombie who eats brains to stay coherent herself? And then has to resolve the memories belonging to the brain she ate? And she works as a gravedigger? It's a refreshingly original setup, and Roberson doesn't stop there. He brings a lot of ideas to this book, and I feel like I have to keep reading just to see what he comes up with next. I mean, one of the characters is a wereterrier.

Unfortunately, the sheer amount of great ideas is probably leading to
Cathy (cathepsut)
I really like the artwork. No, I love it. The further I got into this, the more I liked it. I could just stop myself from getting the next volume, while I was still reading this one. I compromised, it’s on my wishlist. It didn‘t help that there were some teasers at the end of this volume. Grrrr.

The characters are spot-on anatomically and consistent, the women (mostly) don‘t look like bimbos, the guys (mostly) look like nerds, I really like the colour work as well... it‘s refreshing.

On top of tha
Erica
For some reason, people often assume I loooove zombies.
I don't. I hate them. I think they're stupid.
I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead, Compendium 1, I've never liked shamblers, plus, zombies are booooring. And yet, I am always given zombie-related things. I own zombie movies, I have zombie-themed shirts, people post zombie jokes on my FB wall.
But I hate zombies. I think they're stupid.

Then these books came across my desk - I've got 1-4 right here next to me. I've flipped through the first one an
Tanja Voosen
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ich bin Fan von Veronica Mars und als der Erfinder der Serie bekannt gab, dass er sich nun an eine "Adaption" der iZombie Comics wagen würde, war ich Feuer & Flamme. Die Serie zählt schon seit letztem Jahr zu meinen absoluten Lieblingen, da war es nur eine Frage der Zeit, bis ich mir mal die Vorlage genauer anschauen wollte. Ich war schon etwas vor den Kopf gestoßen, denn die TV-Serie und die Paperbacks haben zu 99% NICHTS gemein. Das war aber absolut nicht schlecht, denn mir gefiel die Stor ...more
Yodamom
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting characters, promising storyline. There was a nice mix of monsters with a twist that could lead to fun times in monster town.
BooksTwins
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3/5
Aunque sabia que era diferente a la seria de televisión, creo que espera en mi interior que tuviera alguna semejanza, pero hasta ahora no hay. Solo el físico de ella, porque hasta el nombre es diferente.
Además no entendía varias cosas, como ¿hay vampiros? ¿hay fantasmas? O.o
Rick
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
In an era littered with countless zombie stories, mostly mediocre to terrible, Roberson and Allred successfully morph the tired undead concept into a superior 21st century slacker neo-gothic. Eugene, OR grave digger Gwen Dylan lives a most unusual existence. Her closest friends include a ghost and a were-terrier. Her recent crush hunts monsters for a centuries-old secret society. Beautiful, bitchy vampires threaten Eugene. And to top it off, Gwen must eat a fresh brain at least once a month or b ...more
Skip
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Skip by: Anne
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story of a hot zombie heroine (Gwen) who must eat brains to remain in human form, but then is forced to see the past life of the deceased’s brains. (The basic story here is her trying to bring a murderer to justice.) She has an interesting group of sidekicks, including a were-critter (terrier) and a ghost, and has to interact with monster-hunters and vampires. There is an interesting existential discussion of undersouls (appetites and emotions) and oversouls (memories and personalities), whe ...more
Jessica
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it might not like how this differs from the show but I was very wrong. It has a very 'Ugly Americans' feel with the creatures that exist and there's some witty banter of course I love. All in all a really good solid start to the series.
WortGestalt
Ok, das ist schon sehr leichte Kost, hat viel von einer klassischen US-Mainstream-TV-Serie. Nett gedacht, richtig tolle Zeichnungen mit diesem leichten Retro-Chick, aber inhaltlich wirklich seicht, sprachlich recht dünn, da wurde für meinen Geschmack zu viel Potential verschenkt.
Future Slayer Girl
Well, that was a damned interesting comic book lol I love the fact it's very female heavy which you find lacking at times in comics. I made the mistake of watching the show first and it's very much different from the show! We have vampires and were creatures in the comic and so far I've only seen the zombie like folks. We know what Gwen is in the comics, and in the show they don't really give it a name they blame a drug for it. Which I get it, it's the whole don't do drugs kids or you'll turn in ...more
Kim
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well this comic ROCKS! The artist is freakin amazing! Love the storyline. Gwen who is a zombie is a badass character. Love her. Love her best friend who happens to be a ghost. Got a bunch of hot bitchy vampires. And hunters who are out to kill all the undead. Ya this comic rocks.
Murphy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vertigo, five-stars
I chose to read this trade on a whim since I'd heard of the television show and actually became much more invested in it than expected, which was a welcome surprise.

Many defining elements from the aforementioned show aren't present here, so if you're hoping to read content that expands upon its episodes you may be disappointed. However, I found these issues to be unquestionably interesting and holding an open mind towards them will likely pay off.

The main focus in this volume rests on worldbui
Misty
[Review for the entire series] Though nothing like the show (which is better, let's be real), this is a fun world with (mostly) interesting -- if derivative -- characters. The first volume struggled a bit to find its footing, and then end struggled to stay there, but there are some interesting moments in the art and a solid backstory to explain the WHY of everything, which you don't always get in supernatural stories. There's a convenience to some things that didn't sit well with me, and I wish ...more
Samrat
Um, yeah, I didn't see much of a Buffy parallel here, unless you mean screen time taken away from her inner thoughts and processing of events and emotions to give us more shots of her boobs. Her boobs were quite prominent. There's this one scene where she takes off her jacket, you know, halfway, so that she can hold it around her body, emphasizing her boobs, but not until she goes outside. And that other scene where it takes her five panels to put on her shirt. I don't know why I got so fixated ...more
Keith
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like a loser only reading this after the show has come out, but for some reason I had no idea Allred was doing the interiors and so I'd skipped over it. Finally wandered back to it after coming across an iZombie short story in an old issue of House of Mystery, so now here I am, reading it after it's already a TV show like some kind of newb.

Anyway, I guess it's an okay book? It's more gimmick than really anything else, as there's no explanation for why all the characters are monsters other
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Mini Review:
I thought this was really cute and fun. All the different types of supernaturals in the story were fun to read about, the characters were likeable, the premise was interesting, and I LOVED the artwork. I even liked the explanations for the different types of supernaturals with oversouls and undersouls. Not a whole lot happened in this volume, but it was a good intro. Also, that mummy sure was a snazzy dresser :-P

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight
Martin
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
With its off-beat premise, story, and characters, this five-issue collection is a good introduction to the series. That's really the goal, isn't it: To get the readers to come back for more?

A real treat for fans of the excellent Mike Allred, who supplies the art. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume: uVampire.
Diz
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book sets up an interesting concept of the afterlife, but doesn't really deliver an interesting story. The problem is that it is a bit heavy on exposition, so instead of discovering these interesting concepts we are just told them. I do like Mike Allred's art, but I kind of wish that he was also involved with the writing as well. This story could have used some of his quirky sense of humor.
  • Madame Xanadu, Volume 1: Disenchanted
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers (The Sixth Gun, #1)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 4: The Beauty of Decay
  • Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red
  • The New Deadwardians
  • Saucer Country Vol. 1: Run
  • Chew, Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders
  • Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain
  • Echo, Volume 1: Moon Lake
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • Animal Man, Volume 2: Animal vs. Man
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Hexed
Chris Roberson is a science fiction author and publisher based in Austin, Texas, best known for alternate history novels and short stories.
More about Chris Roberson

iZombie (5 books)
  • iZombie, Vol. 2: uVampire
  • iZombie, Vol. 3: Six Feet Under and Rising
  • iZombie, Vol. 4: Repossession
  • iZombie Omnibus

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)