Start by marking “iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World” as Want to Read:
iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World

iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World

(iZombie #1)

Told from a female zombies perspective, this smart, witty detective series mixes urban fantasy and romantic dramedy.

Gwendolyn Gwen Dylan is a 20-something gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery. Once a month she must eat a human brain to keep from losing her memories, but in the process she becomes consumed with the thoughts and personality of the dead person until she
Published March 22nd 2011 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about iZombie, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Jonathan The two aren't really related. Think of the TV show as a re-imagining. There are a few elements that they kept, but it barely resembles the comic and…moreThe two aren't really related. Think of the TV show as a re-imagining. There are a few elements that they kept, but it barely resembles the comic and just my opinion (and I fully expect to get hate), but I think the show might be superior to the comic.(less)

Start your review of iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World
Anne
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

description

This was fluffy for a story about a zombie. Really fluffy. So if you don't think fluffy and zombie belong in the same sentence together...move on.
I am personally a big fan of Fluff. I wallow in the shallow and the silly. And if it's fun, I'll willingly accept plot holes and inconsistencies.
What can I say, it's part of my charm?

description

Gwen is a zombie. But she's a cute zombie, not to be confused with the nasty rotting corpses that you see shambling around on tv. The
Matthew
Glad I finally read this! I have been thinking about doing so for a long time, and when I finally did, I blew through it in one day.

It is as humorous and creative as it is gory and creepy. If you don't mind your classic monsters mixed with a bit of wittiness and sass, this is a good title to check out.

I have heard about the show based on this, I am going to have to check that out, too!

Also, as a graphic novel reader knows, each issue should come with decent cliffhangers and unanswered
Jack Tripper
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

I was brought to this comic not by the current TV Show based on it, but by the fact that I'll buy anything with the Allreds' names plastered on it. I haven't kept up with their work nearly as much as I used to, but for my tastes there's not much out there in comicbookland that compares to Michael's snappy pop art and Laura's vibrant colors. And even though Michael didn't write this, he was involved in creating the characters and basic concept, so the story does still have some of that good ole'
Will M.
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I first heard about iZombie when I watched the pilot episode of the tv series about a year ago. The show wasn't mind blowing, but I enjoyed watching it. I'm actually still watching the show now that it's on its second season. How does this compare to the show? This graphic novel series is way better, in many aspects.

The show focuses on Gwen and how eating brains affects her. It's not boring, but it lacks the sense of complexity that the graphic novel has. I liked that the author managed to
David Katzman
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Monster lovers
You'd think zombies were done to death, right? But this is fresh! A sexy zombie!

Mike Allred - iZombie

iZombie is pure brains candy. And the art is otherwordly: Mike Allred's illustrations are delicious enough to eat. And Chris Robersons writing is bone chilled out. This isnt scary monster land, this is a charming monster party.

The main character, Gwen, is a gravedigger in Eugene, Oregon. She looks relatively normalmildly goth with ghostly pale skin. Only problem isshe has to eat brains or she'll lose her memory and
Meredith Holley
Whaaaaa? I dont even know how to react to this because I am so caught up with the locale description. This is set in Eugene, you guys. This book is set where I live! Only not. These people . . . and the places . . . so weird. Most of this takes place in a diner. A DINER! How weird is that? Have you even BEEN to Eugene? A diner called Dixies? Where the owner was part of the mafia? That crazy Eugene mafia. WTH? And it is open all night? I am lost to what you are trying to do here.

AND WHAT
Sam Quixote
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think the Zombie Apocalypse has happened and we are in the midst of it; zombies are everywhere, in comics, on tv, on film - theyre an entire sub-strata of pop culture and every single person on the planet knows what a zombie is. So its surprising to find that another comic book featuring zombies should prove to breathe new life into the oversaturated genre and discover an entirely new angle to approach it from.

Gwen is a zombie except shes not a shambolic, rotting nightmare - but she will be
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I recently stumbled across the iZombie TV series and it's hella fun.

When I found out it was very loosely based on a graphic novel series with the same name I put a hold on them at my library.

I enjoyed this one and plan to read the rest. It doesn't really compare in plot to the TV series, but it's still a fun read.

Since I'm dreading writing reviews this week, I shall give a few images of the novel and then recommend Anne's fan-f'ing-tastic review here. Because really, I should pay her to do
Mike
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I really tried hard to like this book, but the art almost killed me to slog through. Roberson comes highly recommended through a recent War Rocket Ajax podcast interview, and I'm a big fan of the whole zombie ethic, so I really wanted to enjoy this.

However - and maybe it's really just me - but I have a hard time connecting with Allred's art style. It's clearly a style, and I'm aware he's got talent, but I'll tell you two things that hurt it for me: the scenes, no matter what angle you're looking
Elspeth
Meh.

It didn't flow well, the beginning was hard to get into.

I didnt like the main character, Gwen is quite the bitch. I really didn't like how she treated Scott, she is using him knowing fully well his feelings for her.

I did like the plot twist and the monster lore though.

I think I will just stick with the TV show.
Brad
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brad by: David Katzman
The Coolness

The main idea of iZombie vol. 1 Dead to the World is a thing of beauty if you're a horror fan (especially if you dig zombies). Gwen dies, wakes up undead and discovers that she has to feast on a brain a month or become a shambling mass of rotting flesh with an insatiable appetite. She is not just cute, she's hot (as David pointed out in his review, this is a wonderful change from the zombies we're used to seeing), and she has to navigate our everyday world while fighting and feeding
Cathy
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like the artwork. No, I love it. The further I got into this, the more I liked it. I could just stop myself from getting the next volume, while I was still reading this one. I compromised, its on my wishlist. It didnt help that there were some teasers at the end of this volume. Grrrr.

The characters are spot-on anatomically and consistent, the women (mostly) dont look like bimbos, the guys (mostly) look like nerds, I really like the colour work as well... its refreshing.

On top of that
Sesana
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
I admit it, I'm fascinated by this concept. A zombie who eats brains to stay coherent herself? And then has to resolve the memories belonging to the brain she ate? And she works as a gravedigger? It's a refreshingly original setup, and Roberson doesn't stop there. He brings a lot of ideas to this book, and I feel like I have to keep reading just to see what he comes up with next. I mean, one of the characters is a wereterrier.

Unfortunately, the sheer amount of great ideas is probably leading to
Erica
For some reason, people often assume I loooove zombies.
I don't. I hate them. I think they're stupid.
I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead, Compendium 1, I've never liked shamblers, plus, zombies are booooring. And yet, I am always given zombie-related things. I own zombie movies, I have zombie-themed shirts, people post zombie jokes on my FB wall.
But I hate zombies. I think they're stupid.

Then these books came across my desk - I've got 1-4 right here next to me. I've flipped through the first one
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Perhaps unfairly, I compared this to the CW show the whole time and I couldn't help but prefer what they did with the characters. It's an interesting plot with an interesting host of characters and I did enjoy the art.
Yodamom
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting characters, promising storyline. There was a nice mix of monsters with a twist that could lead to fun times in monster town.
Rick
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
In an era littered with countless zombie stories, mostly mediocre to terrible, Roberson and Allred successfully morph the tired undead concept into a superior 21st century slacker neo-gothic. Eugene, OR grave digger Gwen Dylan lives a most unusual existence. Her closest friends include a ghost and a were-terrier. Her recent crush hunts monsters for a centuries-old secret society. Beautiful, bitchy vampires threaten Eugene. And to top it off, Gwen must eat a fresh brain at least once a month or ...more
Skip
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Skip by: Anne
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story of a hot zombie heroine (Gwen) who must eat brains to remain in human form, but then is forced to see the past life of the deceaseds brains. (The basic story here is her trying to bring a murderer to justice.) She has an interesting group of sidekicks, including a were-critter (terrier) and a ghost, and has to interact with monster-hunters and vampires. There is an interesting existential discussion of undersouls (appetites and emotions) and oversouls (memories and personalities), ...more
Jessica {Litnoob}
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it might not like how this differs from the show but I was very wrong. It has a very 'Ugly Americans' feel with the creatures that exist and there's some witty banter of course I love. All in all a really good solid start to the series.
Leighane
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
The artwork was probably the best part of this.
I did enjoy other aspects, such as, the array of monsters, mostly the vampires. But the writing was so poorly executed it was frustrating
Lindsey
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was a damned interesting comic book lol I love the fact it's very female heavy which you find lacking at times in comics. I made the mistake of watching the show first and it's very much different from the show! We have vampires and were creatures in the comic and so far I've only seen the zombie like folks. We know what Gwen is in the comics, and in the show they don't really give it a name they blame a drug for it. Which I get it, it's the whole don't do drugs kids or you'll turn ...more
Kim
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well this comic ROCKS! The artist is freakin amazing! Love the storyline. Gwen who is a zombie is a badass character. Love her. Love her best friend who happens to be a ghost. Got a bunch of hot bitchy vampires. And hunters who are out to kill all the undead. Ya this comic rocks.
Misty
[Review for the entire series] Though nothing like the show (which is better, let's be real), this is a fun world with (mostly) interesting -- if derivative -- characters. The first volume struggled a bit to find its footing, and then end struggled to stay there, but there are some interesting moments in the art and a solid backstory to explain the WHY of everything, which you don't always get in supernatural stories. There's a convenience to some things that didn't sit well with me, and I wish ...more
Keith
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like a loser only reading this after the show has come out, but for some reason I had no idea Allred was doing the interiors and so I'd skipped over it. Finally wandered back to it after coming across an iZombie short story in an old issue of House of Mystery, so now here I am, reading it after it's already a TV show like some kind of newb.

Anyway, I guess it's an okay book? It's more gimmick than really anything else, as there's no explanation for why all the characters are monsters other
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Mini Review:
I thought this was really cute and fun. All the different types of supernaturals in the story were fun to read about, the characters were likeable, the premise was interesting, and I LOVED the artwork. I even liked the explanations for the different types of supernaturals with oversouls and undersouls. Not a whole lot happened in this volume, but it was a good intro. Also, that mummy sure was a snazzy dresser :-P

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight
Diz
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book sets up an interesting concept of the afterlife, but doesn't really deliver an interesting story. The problem is that it is a bit heavy on exposition, so instead of discovering these interesting concepts we are just told them. I do like Mike Allred's art, but I kind of wish that he was also involved with the writing as well. This story could have used some of his quirky sense of humor.
Martin
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
With its off-beat premise, story, and characters, this five-issue collection is a good introduction to the series. That's really the goal, isn't it: To get the readers to come back for more?

A real treat for fans of the excellent Mike Allred, who supplies the art. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume: uVampire.
Chantay
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
The T.V. show and the graphic novel are completely different. The producers took artistic license and used this as source material. Sometimes it works out for the benefit to the material and revives the brand, It worked in this case because if I had read iZombie before watching the show, I would have never bothered to invest in it. The show is definitely where the real content is at.
Pandahanna
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
It has nothing to do with the tv-show. At least not this issue. It has really nice drawings and explains the different types of undead. I enjoyed it even though it was kind of short. Hope to get to read the rest of the issues soon.
Sierra
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
That was fun! Only problem I had was the fact that when she said "I have only one girlfriend," she meant she had just one friend. I totally thought we were being given an LGBTQ+ main character for a while there. Oh, well!

• American Vampire, Vol. 1
  • Riverdale #10
  • Riverdale #9
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #3
  • Riverdale #7
Chris Roberson is a science fiction author and publisher based in Austin, Texas, best known for alternate history novels and short stories.

iZombie (5 books)