Start by marking “Old Bear and His Cub” as Want to Read:
Old Bear and His Cub

Old Bear and His Cub

(Old Bear and Little Cub #2)

From the creator of the Gossie and Gertie books comes a playful and charming twist on the relationship between children and the adults who care for them.
Old Bear loves Little Cub with all his heart. He makes sure that Little Cub eats all his porridge, takes a nap during their snowy walk, and wraps his red scarf tightly around his ears. Little Cub doesn't want to be told w
Published November 11th 2010 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Old Bear and His Cub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Bear and His Cub

Brent Weeks
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This one’s a cryer. I recommend it for any dad, but especially for single fathers or divorced dads who have their kids sometimes. A simple, sweet story about taking care of your cub and your cub taking care of you.
Kathryn
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter
A cute story, if slightly too repetitive for my taste, about an old bear and his little cub and how much they love one another. Both are a tad stubborn. Little Cub wants to do lots of fun things--but they are dangerous and Old Bear won't allow it. Because he loves Old Bear, Little Cub stops. But the caring goes both ways, and when Old Bear catches a cold and doesn't want to take care of himself, Little Cub is the one to admonish and nurture. The illustrations are adorable. This could be especial ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
I have become a fan of Old Bear and Little Cub
Chi
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I have no idea why, but after reading this, I was in tears. What an adorable interaction between Old Bear and Little Cub. It definitely had throw backs to my interactions with my kids, and I think that on top of a horrible day where I was overwrought and annoyed, it makes sense why this book affected me so much.
Tasha
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Old Bear and Little Cub live together. Old Bear loves Little Cub with all his heart, and Little Cub loves Old Bear with all of his heart. Old Bear makes sure that Little Cub eats all of his porridge, wears his scarf in the snow, doesn’t get hurt, and takes his nap. But when Old Bear catches a cold from not wearing a scarf himself, it is Little Cub that knows exactly what Old Bear needs to feel better. This is a delight of a book that will have children laughing as the roles reverse between the a ...more
Judy Desetti

Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2010:

Beautiful wintery illustrations are the perfect background for Old Bear and His Cub. Old Bear and Little Cub love each other with all of their hearts, and their day together revolves around Old Bear ensuring that Little Cub does things that will keep him safe and healthy, like eating his porridge and staying off the rocks. Children will relate to Little Cub’s attempts at independence, while parents will appreciate that Little Cub accepts Old Bear’s
Candice
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet and bearutifully illustrated story about an older bear and his feisty little cub. When Old Bear tells Little Cub to eat his porridge, tie his scarf tight or be careful not to fall from the cliff upon which he has climbed, Little Cub replies, "I won't" but Old Bear stares him into compliance. "Old Bear loved his Little Cub with all his heart. Little Cub loved Old Bear with all his heart." And despite the contrariness, you can see that this is true. On their walk through the winter snows, ...more
Melissa
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Love that caring is a two-way street here, and that the little cub is allowed to know best sometimes. Also appreciate that there is no yelling or arguing or explaining or cajoling or bargaining, just a little bit of "staring hard."
babyhippoface
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Because I love A Christmas Tree for Pyn so much, I was excited to read this when I saw it in the bookstore. I didn't love this one. It wasn't bad, just a little too much repetition of some phrases, and not much story. It would be great for father-child sharing at bedtime, though.
Summitsonthetop
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a darling book. Old Bear loves Little Bear. He tells Little Bear to keep his scarf around his neck, and other things, because he loves him. Little Bear doesn't want to obey, but he does, because he knows Old Bear Loves him. But when Old Bear gets sick, the tables are turned, and this time Old Bear remembers that Little Bear loves HIM. It's a fun book, and it's fun to do role plays with your little ones and have them tell you what to do!

Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a super cute story between a father bear and a baby bear. The illustrations are very pleasing to look at. Children can relate to this story as Little Cub is your typical toddler and likes to argue with Old Bear. He eventually listens to each command and in the end, Little Cub shows his love for Old Bear and also models how Old Bear has always taken care of him.
Amy
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-little-boy
We received this in the mail when my son was 3. It didn't go great then. However, at 4, my son relates a LOT more to this book. He laughs at the "arguments" between Old Bear and Little Cub. And says, "awww..." when it states they love each other with all their heart.
Erin
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This doesn't seem to have much of a storyline...other than the role reversal when Old Bear is feeling under the weather. I would have given 2 stars, but it hit home with me since I recently lost my dad and the role reversal tugged at my heartstrings.
Clare
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
In a short amount of words this book conveys the sentiment that even when those you love can be a bit obstinate, listening to each other and understanding where the other's opinions are coming from can make everything work out for the best.
Alicia Thompson
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. Super repetitive. Old Bear gives instruction. Little Cub is oppositionally defiant (an age appropriate behavior). Old Bear does the stare down. Little Cub acquiesces. Then they snuggle.
Ryan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do not know what is more perfect, the illustrations or the story. Its a granddad grandson type of story. It's about how Old bear takes care of little bear, but sometimes little bear has to take care of old bear. Simply wonderful.
Family taking care of each other - even when they have disagreements. Nothing spectacular, but a decent read.
Lori
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Which bear is the most stubborn--little cub or old bear? Old Bear gives Little Cub advice, but then Little Cub gives Old Bear the same advice. It's a cute story with average illustrations.
Rachel
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Not gonna lie....I enjoyed this story, but I also kept expecting the old bear to die.
Pamela Powell
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely story about Old Bear and Little Cub who love each other with their whole hearts and are willing to be a bit stubborn to take care of the other one.
Kathleen Meacham
I enjoyed the 1st book in the series more than I did this 2nd installment. The illustrations were still adorable though.
Joy Keil
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: clara
The illustrations were wonderful, as always. Unfortunately, the story fell short.
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet story with beautiful illustrations. Great for a cold winter day after playing outside.
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this one was cute. Read at church last week so fuzzy on the details.
Cara Byrne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a wonderfully cozy read for the winter, showing how a little cub can both receive care and care for his old bear. Lovely illustrations, this would make a wonderful nighttime read in December, especially when one or more family members are feeling under the weather.
PickinDavis
Apr 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Junk. Why write a book where 70% of the content is child disobedience but with no reason/morale as to why the child should not disobey?

Here's a example of nearly every page in this book:
Old Bear: Do this
Cub: No
Old Bear: Do it.
Cub: No
Old Bear looks at cub nasty. He does it.

Hmm... I wonder where he learned that. Oh, the next page:

Cub: Do this.
Old Bear: No
Cub: Do it.
Old Bear: No
Cub looks old bear nasty. He does it.

You can write a book about parents and children taking care of each other without eac
Lindsey
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, kid1
Adorable, like all of Dunrea's books for children. Old Bear spends the day gently correcting Cub's idea of how things will go, emphasizing that some things he doesn't want to do are good for him. But when Old Bear gets sick, the tables are turned as Cub insists that Old Bear get some rest and take care of himself. A great reminder that children are always watching and that sometimes the best teaching moments are when we are also learning.

Lovely illustrations and a quiet story of family love, thi
Margaret Chind
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Tipton County Books from Birth
My edition is a Dolly Parton's Imagination Library paperback.

I have fallen in love with the gosling books from Olivier Dunrea, or rather our entire family has (the Enginerd included!). So when our latest Dolly Parton's Imagination Library book for AppleBlossom arrived and it was a new-to-me book from Olivier Dunrea I was delighted. A snow and scarf filled story perfect for this winter time of year. Old Bear And His Cub is another wonderful example of the interactions between caretaker and child
Atziri
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This became one of my favorite children's books. Recently published in 2010, the story captures the efforts of a little cub bear attempting to make his own choices, even though Old Bear always tells him what is best. For example, Little Cub and Old Bear go hiking through the woods and Little Cub climbs on top of the rocks. Old Bear is concerned he will fall. Little Cub says he won't, but at the end he listens and climbs down. Old Bear loves his Little Cub and the illustrations in the book even s ...more
Sarah W
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
On the cover, an energetic cub wrapped in a red scarf leaps down into the waiting arms of whiskery Old Bear. Every morning begins with these two sitting down with porridge and Old Bear admonishing the cub to eat it all up. Party way through the story, the cub takes on the role of telling Old Bear what he should be doing to stay well. Old Bear is sent to bed, given tea and read to until he falls fast asleep.

In a story time, kids would have great fun carrying out Old Bear and cub's arguments. This
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Bedtime for Bear
  • Spring Is Here
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • My Farm Friends
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • The Queen of France
  • Red Wagon
  • Little Pink Pup
  • Forever Friends
  • Hugless Douglas
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more

Old Bear and Little Cub (2 books)
  • Little Cub