Start by marking “The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret” as Want to Read:
The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret

The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret

(Perry Mason #70)

Harlow Bissenger Bancroft is head of a corporate empire and happily married. None of his lawyers can help him however when a blackmailer threatens his family’s future. After he calls upon Perry Mason for help, the blackmailer is found dead.
Published September 24th 2010 by House of Stratus (first published September 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret

Start your review of The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret
Evgeny
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rich people cry too, but it is much better to do the crying in a limo than in a public bus.

It seems Della Street had a thing for very rich people. She was literally melting admitting Harlow Bissenger Bancroft to the appointment with her boss. The latter was curious why would a guy with his own army of corporate lawyers need services of a criminal one.
Lawyers
It turned out Bancroft's stepdaughter was blackmailed and the guy wanted Mason do discreetly deal with the situation without the stepdaughter know
Bob
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here a bit dry. Sometiems it's stiff and mechanical. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is one of
Stven
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: Ron Carlberg
This little caper is from 1963, very late in Perry Mason's career. We don't get as much about our favorite characters' personal lives as we might like, but we do get a clever case that gets moving right from page one and takes some nice little zigs and zags along the way. It's crisp, rapid-fire, fun, and all over too quickly.
Richa
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. The methods were... different. It really got me wondering! Kind of like chess, making moves anticipating, in fact, almost driving certain counter moves.
Tita
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nesta história, Perry Mason é contactado por um homem com alguma posição e dinheiro mas há algo no seu passado que esconde, no entanto, a sua enteada recebeu uma carta de chantagem, precisamente pelo passado deste homem.
Temos um policial à moda antiga, numa história com chantagistas, crime e detectives privados. Apesar de curta, está uma história bem desenvolvida e bastante sólida.

Vejam a minha opinião mais detalhada em vídeo, AQUI.
Doug Dams
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This was an average Perry Mason story. He was defending a millionaires wife and had unlimited resources, so it was just a matter of how he put together the events of the murder. That's the fun part of the book. Plus there's a blackmail plot involved and everyone in the family thought they were the target of the blackmail. A family with a lot of secrets. There are better books in the Perry Mason series. I'd say this one was average.
Karen
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Read this as an example of how using cliched expressions typical of the day, slang that sounds oh so cool at the time but then it goes out of style and leaves the reader laughing, when it's not supposed to be a funny story. Still, I enjoyed the story, the mystery, the courtroom scenes, and even the slang. I'll read a few more of the Perry Mason series and see how far it goes before predictability and boredom sets in.
Eric
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great who dunnit Perry Mason story....love these quick, fun to read stories!
Freya
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I quite enjoyed this one. Knew mid way who the killer was but hadn't figured out how he did it.
David
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Gardner always works well when I'm in the mood for some light reading. The mysteries are usually not overly involved, after all, it is usually about Mason outguessing either the prosecution or some other bad guys. This one is no different. Mostly about the massive maneuvers Mason goes to in order to get the drop on a blackmailer AND keep his client from being convicted of a crime. The story mostly unfolds in dialogue and therefore makes for short reading.

A good pulpy read without being too ridi
Scoats
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Accumulating cheap used books over the years, I ended up with 6 Perry Mason books. When I finally got around to reading our Erle Stanley Gardner books last year, I was pleasantly surprised at how great they are. I have now read all 6 that we own and they are all equally enjoyable. As with many great things, I am unable to fully pinpoint what makes Gardner's writing so great. Everything just comes together perfectly - plot, pacing, settings, economy of verbiage.

From this Webpage, I see that is P
Ed
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#70 in the Perry Mason series. Perry's client has found a blackmail note in his stepdaughter's room and is convinced she has somehow discovered his secret and will pay blackmail to keep it. Perry's advise to go to the police is ignored so he comes up with a scheme to intercept the blackmail money and confuse the blackmailer. Complex - scheme, plot, characters - but enjoyable.

#70 Perry Mason series - Harlow Bissenger Bancroft is head of a corporate empire and happily married. None of his lawyers
Nancy
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a time when people hid their family's dirty laundry, blackmail was easy. In this story, it seems like everyone has something to hide and they are all doing it to protect the rest of their family. Since it is a Perry Mason novel, there is a court room scene but much of the action takes place before they enter court. Of course, as Perry always does, the real truth comes out in a startling way at the very end. I think what I liked most about this one was the clever ways that the blackmailers beh ...more
Chazzi
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one had a few more twists, but still was good. There were enough clues to come up with a possible solution, but there was still some doubt. Of course there was the dramatic courtroom scene with Perry taking control.

I enjoyed the mention of some of the areas that really do exist and the references to places that do exist but are given different names. Local colour.

Perry Mason is a favourite of mine and a good escape and quick read. Old friends.
Rupesh Goenka
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
An average-merit Perry Mason murder mystery. The defense attorney whose methods of saving his clients are both daring & unconventional, but eventually they pay off.
Perry Mason dialogue - ''If you want a lawyer who doesn't take chances, get someone else...''
REASONABLE.
Vincent Darlage
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not the best Perry Mason novel, but not too bad. He pulled a neat trick to expose the murderer. The premise was nice, but somehow I just didn't care much about the characters. This is one of the weaker books. It didn't have the usual passion in it that many of the others have.
Bailey Marissa
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, read-in-2k17
This mystery involves a family that doesn't communicate, so that's fun. *Sarcasm* Even though this story is a little more routine, it still has the Mason flair.

Recommended 12+ for murder, violence, blackmail, and language.
Edeliz
The mystery was three stars and add one more for the inside scoop on blackmail.
Athul Raj
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
An average thriller/ mystery. Not as exciting as Chase novels.
Лиляна
Прилична кримка, каквито обичах да чета като ученичка.
Les Anderson
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. Mason's legal maneuvers, even before the murder, are good and quick. I'm not sure how Mason knew the truth though.
Anna
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a serious businessman, Harlow Bamcroft, who has bunch of his own lawyer on standby, telephones in to get the first possible appointment with the criminal lawyer, even Della Street can't focus on work. Mason finds himself explaining the four ways to deal with a blackmail. Since simply paying off, going to the police or murdering the blackmailer won't work, there is only one possible solution. The businessman had a double life when he was young which could turn out to be very problematic for ...more
Sandy Chris
Shelves: 2017
Meh
Robert A Keene
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Sometimes I just want to take a break from reading books that require extreme concentration and many late nights to finish. Reading Perry Mason is fun with characters that hardly change. The Case of the Stepdaughter's Secret about blackmailers trying to rip off the rich Bancroft family, parts of the story was very good but most was quite improbable anyone could pull it off. The ending was no surprise but the court room drama was fully what every Perry Mason mystery has.
Eva Inzu
kalau baca perry mason, rasanya tenang.. tidak ada yang tidak dapat terselesaikan. haha :D very tipikal buku jamannya, everything is awrait! dan setelahnya back to reality.. urghh! :DDD
Thay
Feb 24, 2018
Veronika
Sep 20, 2013

• Paradise And Beyond: My Autobiography
  • The Money Man (The Consultants, #1)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Secret Adversary (Complete Mystery Novel Collection of Agatha Christie Vol. 1)
  • The Insulted and Humiliated
  • A morte de Lord Edgware / Testemunha de acusação
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • A metamorfose
  • The Strategy of Metrics & Key Performance Indicators: 2nd edition
  • Crónica dos Bons Malandros
  • The Double
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • The English Spy (Gabriel Allon, #15)
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • How to Use Microsoft Excel 2010
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Arabella
  • Lady of Quality
  • These Old Shades (Alastair-Audley, #1)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye