Start by marking “Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians” as Want to Read:
Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians

Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians

Described by a UN fact-finding mission as "a deliberately disproportionate attack designed to punish, humiliate, and terrorize a civilian population," Israel's Operation Cast Lead thrust the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip into the center of the debate about the Israel/Palestine conflict.

In Gaza in Crisis, Noam Chomsky and Ilan Pappé, two of the issue's most insightf
Published November 9th 2010 by Haymarket Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gaza in Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaza in Crisis

Start your review of Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians
Riku Sayuj

Why we should not be taking sides on Israel-Palestine:

The Israeli Govt and the Palestinian Hamas both welcome violence as a chance to establish their authority.

That is why this cycle never ends:

The only thing predictable about the festering Israel-Palestine conflict is this:

A never-ending cycle:
- of repression by Israel
- followed by provocative acts by the Palestinians,
- and then a devastating military response and increased repression by Israel.

~ Jimmy Carter

The Israeli people and the Pa
Trish
When we look around the world at the most flagrant abuses of power we would have to point to the current government in Israel as among the most brazen. No matter how often the illegality of their West Bank settlements are pointed out, and no matter how often the government in Israel is called to account for the cruelty of the hateful controls on civilians, the Israeli government continue to assert and act as though it is doing nothing wrong.

The international community watches but does not react
Mohammed
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As an Arab, I was surprised to read such a probity in a Western book regarding Israel/Arab conflicts. In my opinion, this book is very important to all Western people. They need to know the truth about what is happening in the middle east and especially in Palestine.

The book contains an excellent compilation of Noam Chomsky Illan Pappe articles, the two commentators which I have the absolute and utmost respect for. It is extremely rare to find such honest people.

My favorite chapter of the book
Greta G
Mar 26, 2017 marked it as not-to-read
Everyone who wants to read this should be aware that Chomsky and Pappé are among the most controversial, biased authors on this topic. What kind of a title is this anyway?
Beorn
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, palestine
When I first heard of this book, and indeed when I bought it, I naively thought that it was, like many of the other books titled 'Noam Chomsky &...', a collection of the thoughts of Noam Chomsky - whether that be interviews, speeches, letters etc.

After buying it, when I flicked through it I'll admit I was disappointed to find that it was far much more a combination of the works of Chomsky and someone I'd not heard of before, namely Israeli historian Ilan Pappé.
Normally the fact that the academic
Barry
An excellent book covering Israel's genocide and wicked strangulation of an oppressed people with particular focus on the events leading up to Operation Cast Lead.

Since Chomsky and Pappe get accused of 'bias' by the ostriches of the Zionist cheerleaders I will unequivocally frame my review in the context of my bias which are as follows;

1) I abhor racism and prejudice of any groups of people be that religious, cultural or racial.
2) I am an atheist. God does not exist. Every major world religion j
Zach Cohen
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This work presents an enlightening combination of two of the most principled, informed, and perceptive voices on the Israel/Palestine conlict: Israeli historian Ilan Pappe and US linguist, dissident, and socal critic Noam Chomsky.

Gaza in Crises contains a series of relatively short but dense and informative essays and interviews by one or both authors. I find their insights to be highly complementary, as Chomsky generally speaks of the conflict after 1967, while Pappe has conducted extensive res
John Anthony
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had started to read their book ‘On Palestine’ first and then took heed from Jake’s review on here, I think, that it might be best to do some preparatory/background reading first: So, I plumped for their earlier volume, by way of preparation.

I didn’t expect the sort of read which would make me feel good afterwards – so I wasn’t disappointed. It was all so very predictable, reading of the injustice which continues ad nauseum and it makes me sick that it’s carried on in our name (well, not exactl
Patrick Higgins
Mar 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: grad-school
This book falls under the New Historian or Revisionist category. The authors do not even try to hide their obvious biases.
Zanna
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had already read much of Chomsky's contribution to this is Hopes and Prospects, but Pappe's contributions were new to me. I was stunned to learn about the Nakbah, the ethnic cleansing of several areas of Palestine in 1948, and more by its erasure from Israeli history books. His discussion of the one-state solution movement is also essential reading. ...more
SerjeantWildgoose
Ilan's book The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine was, for me, one of those rare books that absolutely cements a change of perception. I read it shortly after the disgraceful and murderous CAST LEAD and it shattered forever any sympathy I might have held for Israel's position in Palestine.
I bought and read this book on the basis of his previous writing and although I had heard of Chomsky, it was more of Pappé's views that I sought in doing so. Good thing, too.
Ilan writes with clarity and purpose and
Sue Lyle
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of my preparation to visit the occupied West Bank. In light of what is happening in Gaza today with Israel's restriction on calories entering, reduction of electricity to two hours a day; the overwhelming heat, the poisoning of the oceans - it is akin to ethnic cleansing. This book provides an important insight into Gaza by two of the world's leading political commentators. ...more
Richard
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing account of how the US is preparted to support and finance Israeli colonialism and apartheid in Palestine. The encroachment on to Palestinian terrority continues unabated with no sanctions thereby making a fully functioning state impossible for these dispossessed people. The US & UN appear impotent and in thrall to whatever actions Israel takes to subdue and dominate Palestine. UN resolutions mean nothing and a democratic vote to elect a Palestinian Government is ignored if the 'wrong' ...more
Aya
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book consists of 8 chapters, each one of these represents an interview or a dialogue with Naom Chomsky or/and Ilan Pappe. Both are well known knowledgeable Jewish academics.

From the title ‘Gaza in Crisis’, I thought the book describes in details what happened in the war on Gaza in 2009. However, the book takes the Palestinian issue as a whole, it describes the basics of the conflict, the US support for Israel, the ‘Ghettoization of Palestine’, the possible solutions to the conflict: one st
Masrur
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Steve
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book. If you are starting out on this topic, it would be best to start with another book. It is a bit too in depth for an initial read on the conflict. At times this book is also repetitive. Could be a bit better organized , but overall, very informative and worth the time.
Ronan Higgins
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
israel 😔 some chapters are better than others, but because i read this book in 2 chunks, 1 in june and 1 today and yesterday, i can’t remember which was which so sorry i guess
josh bates
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A intensive insight into the condition of Palestine. Truly horrifying and eye opening, the oppression of a helpless people who are in need of international help.
1947 began the occupation and the start of Nakbah (catastrophe), the invasion and ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian peoples continued for 20 years. This part of the history is trying to be erased from the Israeli timeline. This is a crucial period in which people alive today have endured and still feel the pain.
Israel has been backed
Liam Berry
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
While this collection of essays by and interviews with Chomsky and Pappe isn't always an easy read (Pappe's essay on the one-state solution lacks something of the gory realities that make Chomsky's Exterminate All The Brutes so compelling and engaging) but it is an extremely informative outline of both the history of the Israeli invasion of Palestine and the tactics the Israelis have since used to subjugate and murder the Palestinians while attempting to control media coverage of the atrocities ...more
Tom
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great compilation of recent articles by two prodigious commentators on the crisis in the Gaza Strip. Very good selection of writings, and a good primer for those who would like a better picture of what's happened in Gaza and Palestine in general in the past 10 years as well as the situation's historical roots. The only thing I found lacking was the interview of the authors - Chomsky and Pappe have some points of contention between them on issues such as the one-state versus two-state solution an ...more
Sham Al-Ghazali
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in all honesty, reading this has had me turning my back on what was once one of my favourite writers, Chomsky. there are several moments in the book where he's an apologist for israeli violence.

however, with every cloud comes a silver lining, Pappé. who has restored my faith and his chapters dropping relentless knowledge bombs. thank you Pappé.
Kathleen
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extremely interesting and informative. Any book that can inspire a strong emotional response and better understanding at the same time is worth reading and recommending. I certainly recommend this book.
Kowther Qashou
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't always agree with Chomsky, but Pappe's analysis and commentary always hit the mark. Nonetheless, an essential read on Gaza. ...more
Alberto
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
interesting point of view of the gaza crisis but could not tell how objective, tones are a bit too extreme on the anti usa/israel end. writing style a bit heavy too.
Marwan Shalaby
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very important account on Palestine, by two of the most prominent thinkers on the issue. Despite the fact that the book lacked coherence, the information contained is monumental to explain the brutal nature of Zionism, and the key concepts underlying Israeli policies of aggression and Palestinian dispossession. I honestly expected more on Gaza, its history and the future of the strip. But overall, I guess the book was enough to get a general understanding of Gaza's current situation.

The book
Alex
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Very informative book and excellent discussions about the conflict which has gone on for so long. The three-star rating is mainly for organization. The book jumps back-and-forth between two authors and there's really no connection between the two. There is a section of the book where the editor is asking both Chomsky and Pappe questions, however they respond to the question separately and do not interact with each other. This book gives me the feeling that these two authors may have never spoken ...more
Robbie
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read into the Israeli-Palestine conflict, whilst I did find the subject matter informative I feel I would have been better starting with a book that documents more the history of the conflict whereas this novel begins with an assumption the reader knows the basics regarding the occupation of Palestine.

The novel deals with the current (2010ish) political spectrum so is perhaps a bit dated now as the policies referred to in terms of the US make reference to the administrations of Bush & O
Manuel Alamo
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The genocide in Gaza and the ethnic cleansing in Palestina performed by the Isreali Colonialism is a very latent conflict today. This book exposes, with well-founded facts, the Israeli policy of extermination and the role that the US has played in supporting these policies.
Chomsky and Pape present us with a unique book that helps any reader with and without knowledge about the subject to get closer to the origins of this conflict and why it has not yet been solved. Different alternatives, which
Adib
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quoting the concluding words, "There should be little difficulty in understanding why those whose eyes are not closed tight shut by rigid doctrine dismiss Obama's yearning for human rights and democracy as a joke in bad taste." ...more
Jasper Sendler
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phd
Some very sharply observed points that are expertly relayed by two academics of the highest order. However, not sure many of the claims/points add anything new to our current understanding of the situation in Gaza.
Goodreads Librari...: i want to delete abook 7 84 Oct 10, 2013 05:28PM

• The Vagrants
  • The Brilliant & Forever
  • Ten Myths about Israel
  • محاورات افلاطون
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H

News & Interviews

“Hamas is regularly described as 'Iranian-backed Hamas, which is dedicated to the destruction of Israel.' One will be hard put to find something like 'democratically elected Hamas, which has long been calling for a two-state settlement in accord with the international consensus'—blocked for over 30 years by the US and Israel. All true, but not a useful contribution to the Party Line, hence dispensable.” 72 likes
“The new crimes that the US and Israel were committing in Gaza as 2009 opened do not fit easily into any standard category—except for the category of familiarity.” 38 likes