Start by marking “The Hollow: Wahre Liebe ist unsterblich (The Hollow, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hollow: Wahre Liebe ist unsterblich (The Hollow, #1)

The Hollow: Wahre Liebe ist unsterblich (The Hollow #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  18,416 Ratings  ·  1,543 Reviews
Abbeys beste Freundin Kristen ist verschwunden. Alle Bewohner von Sleepy Hollow glauben, dass das Mädchen tot ist. Dann taucht plötzlich Caspian auf - ein umwerfender, rätselhafter Junge, der immer dort aufkreuzt, wo auch Abbey ist. Und schließlich stößt sie im Tagebuch ihrer Freundin auf ein dunkles Geheimnis - und muss bald erfahren, dass auch Caspian nicht der ist, der ...more
Published June 2010 by Arena Verlag (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Hollow, please sign up.

Dani THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!
One of the most underrated book series I have every read. It could definitely be considered a mystery - the ending definitely surprised me.
It is a twist on the whole Sleepy Hollow tale.
A summary from Amazong about the book:
"When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead…and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. It only makes things worse that everyone now treats Abbey like either a freak show or a charity case. Thank goodness for Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.
Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity."(less)
Dani This book series is amazing! Definitely one of the most underrated book(s) I have ever read. It keeps you guessing until the very last page of the…moreThis book series is amazing! Definitely one of the most underrated book(s) I have ever read. It keeps you guessing until the very last page of the final book. It is a retelling of Sleepy Hollow. 100% recommend - make sure to read ALL of the books though. (less)

Nataliya
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who actually enjoyed "Twilight"
Nian
Sep 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I barely made it through one third of the novel. And that was ENOUGH for me. It wasn't suspenseful, as I expected ghosts and the supernatural variety, but instead, was met with the mysterious Caspian who was more boring than mysterious. I mean, he pops in and out of nowhere, with one or two words, and it's supposed to mean something?! Add to his enigma? It's just annoying to me. Get to the story, already. All this build-up is pretty pointless if it takes forever to get the plot rolling, which, b ...more
Wendy Darling
Embarrassingly lacking in depth, emotion, intrigue, and plot. Also, the boy is named Caspian, for heaven's sake!
Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)

Goodreads Summary

A love like no other...

When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead...and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral and keeps reappearing in Abbey
Suzanne
I loved this book! The story is amazing and the writing is wonderful. I also have some favourite quotes from this book that I need to find again.

The story is centred around Abby living in a small town called Sleepy Hollow where her best friend Kristen has been missing for many months. I really liked how the writer focused the story around the town and its legend (The Sleepy Hollow) aswell as the people within the town.

The story builds up with Abby dealing with Kristen no longer being around an
Rebekah
Jan 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Yan
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kiki
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young paranormal romance readers
Recommended to Kiki by: Borders
I liked this book. Not because the story was in any way symbolic, deep or profound; not because the characters were rounded or ever properly explained, not even because the setting convinced me; no, it was simply because no matter how hard I tried to pick fault with this book, tried to tell myself it was a bad YA crap-out by a lazy author, I couldn't. I enjoyed it too much.

It was fun, original and kept me entertained for a good six or so hours. The pacing was fine, and I liked that it was based
☣Lynn☣
The last time I read this I was still in my 'Twilight phase' and I gave this 5 stars and a fangirl review that had a lot of OMG CASPIAN IS SO HOT bullcrap. It's funny how you read a favorite you haven't read for a good 6 years or so and end up hating it. I hate when that happens I really do, but this book was so full of insta love and so fucking boring that I can't help but hate it.

I can see why I loved this years ago though. It's pretty much like Twilight. Although Twilight actually has some pa
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
*nervous laughter* umm I don't actually think I read a story, because for some reason I was looking for one and couldn't find any. Unless you call instant love with a boy named Caspian (!!!!!!) after a month of barely knowing each other a "romance." And you could see the big reveal from miles away. It wasn't even a big deal! I thought this book was going to be about Abbey trying to find out how and why her best friend died, but there was nothing but romance and Abbey going on her daily life, wat ...more
Anastasia シ
~Tina~
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I can see why not a lot of people liked The Hollow. It was slow paced and very detailed, but in this case that's why I liked it. It was a very vivid book filled with a lot of sorrow and regret. It was a charming tale that put a good spin on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The characters grief wasn't dulled down, so it made Abby more believable. Caspian (great name) is mysterious and alluring.
All in all this was a decent read and I'm looking froward to reading this trilogy!
Jude
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-shelf

I was walking through borders, [Before it went RIP] and I saw the cover of this book [the old one] and I just picked it up and bought it without reading the summary.

Once home and reading the summary I just dived in and I LOVED it! I saw a lot of reviews in which they argued the slow pace of the book, but, to be honest I just jumped into the story and it refused to let go until the very end.

There were so many things circling the story! Abbey's best friend m
Kristy
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm torn on this one....
On the one hand:
It was extremely original.
It was about Sleepy Hollow.
It dealt with real issues and emotions.
The Characters were believable.
It was a pretty fun read.
The information on the perfume was kind of a neat, off-beat topic.
The descriptions of gifts and objects were inpecable.
The Town

On the flip side;
It was extremely long, I felt like it took forever to read.
Some of the dialoge was really bad and unrealistic.
It was sad.
I didn't get enough sleepy hollow, i got
Marzie
Mar 28, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading it on principle. You can read about why here:

and here:

Oh dear, Trisha Telep made a big mistake and Running Press and Constable and Robinson did too little, too late, and too ambiguously to correct it. Oh dear, Jessica, I'm buying your books not the ones she's editing. Oh dear, I hope this garners you a lot of press and gets people to realize that oh, dear, gay people and bi people are allowed to have YA s
Edward's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
What a FUCKING disappointment! This shitload of shit was nothing but a pure disaster and once again not the exciting type!

I can't understand why this book is tagged as "paranormal" or "urban fantasy" cause 90% of this crap was about Abbeys normal everyday life! I'm not making that up unfortunately!

I'll just let the pictures say what an absolute disaster this book was!

Joanne
Oct 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-urban-fantasy
I didn’t like this book. It starts off with Abbey at the memorial service of her best friend, Kristen, and it’s quite intriguing. Abbey doesn’t believe she’s dead, but she has no clue what happened. Questions spring to mind automatically for the reader, but you’ll have to wait a while for even a smidgen of an answer. Then Caspian enters, and Abbey falls for him. The only problem is, he’s hot, then he’s cold, and Abbey never really knows what’s going on with them.

That’s pretty much the story; wha
Ceitidh
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More reviews at http://dazzlingreads.blogspot.com/

The book was there on the shelf with a facing display and a the girl with Gothic makeup caught my attention. She looked at me, and somehow, I saw my own reflection. Then, I read the book title; The Hollow. This picked my curiosity so I took it from the shelf and started to read. It was something about a romance in the town of Sleepy Hollow and that was enough. Seconds later, I was running with the book in my hands toward the cash line.

This is how
Kate
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update June 2010: I change my rating for this book. After reading MANY books over the past few months, I realise The Hollow was actually not as good as I initially thought. The writing may be good but the plot was icky. Not much character development and no questions answered. I can rattle the names of many authors who expertly wrote books in trilogies with good plots and a least some questions answered.

---

Initially I did not want to post my review so early but since everyone is excited about H
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Actual rating: 2.5

Abbey lives in the small town of Sleepy Hollow. You know ...

... That one.

Recently, Abbey's best friend, Kristen, disappeared near a bridge. While most people believe that Kristen's death was an accident, Abbey suspects that something fishy is going on. Then things start getting weirder, when some mysterious boy she's never seen before shows up at Kristen's funeral ... and then, naturally, starts stalking her everywhere.

(You can probably already see where this is headed.)

So, it
jesse
Abbey's best friend Kristen dies or so the whole town believes, because the body hasn't been found yet. She finds consolation in doing the things she would've done were Kristen with her. Hanging out at Sleepy Hollow's cemetery. Talking to (dead) Mr Irving. Looking for new things. There she also meets Casper Caspian, who seems to be more than meets the eye.

I read 3/4 of the book and skimmed through the rest. The pacing of the book was kind of off. Slow. Not that much suspense. Mrs Verday must've
EmilyViolet
Ah- I- no- My god- SO BAD!

I am honestly astounded how BAD this book was. I was really looking forward to reading it for some reason, but this book was seriously the biggest let down I've ever read.
I'm really mad, so instead of ranting, I'm going to list. Yes, lists are my friends.
-Main character with almost NO personality.
-Main character with only the trait of BLOODY ANNOYING AND SLAP WORTHY
-Main character trying to be distinguished by one tiny thing that just DOES NOT WORK
-Main character random
Farlene
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september-2015
Actually 1.5⭐
When I read a book I want to get emotionally involved. I want to be taken on an adventure, get frustrated, sad, angry or explode with happiness... I felt nothing but boredom.
This story didn't peak till the last 30 pages or so...It was stagnant for 480 pages! And what disappointed me even more is that I knew what was coming, so it wasn't even a surprise for me :(
The name of the book is The Hollow, where is the thrill? Where is the horror? The setting is Sleepy Hollow for crying out l
Allybal
"...This sequestered glen has long been known by the name of Sleepy Hollow."

When I received The Hollow in the mail I nearly threw my other reading selections aside, their bookmarks noting my reality of being rather far from completion, and I happily welcomed this exciting, inviting take on an old classic.

You are greeted by obviously beautiful cover art, and a well chosen font style but then you open the rather large book to see nearly 500 pages of a much larger then necessary font.(Oh, the waste
Krystle
Aug 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I was intrigued by the incorporation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow into the story and the very striking cover. Sadly, picking a book mainly on the merits of its cover was not a smart thing to do.

It was a chore to read this book. Most of this story revolves around the day to day where it seems like the plot was nowhere to be found, nor was it actually moving forward. I couldn’t help but scream to myself, “what is the point of all this!” Her life consists of Caspian,
Laura (Booksforbreakfast)
When I first laid eyes on this book, I had huge hopes for it. I just knew it was going to be good. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I did. At first, I was thinking 'okay, it'll get better' and then the book ended and...it didn't get better. Abbey annoyed me most of the time, and I thought the author focused way too much on what she did, ate, wore, and other mundane acts of her life.

The ending really threw me for a loop, but not in a good way. I felt as a reader, that everyth
Ichigo
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.♥♥♥♥♥♥ It was SUPER awesome!!!!!!!!!! I COULDN'T STOP READING ITS AWESOMENESS IT WAS SO GOOD THAT I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE IT! O_O I CAN'T WAIT ILL THE NEXT ONE COMES OUT
Demo
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind reading about relationship problems
Before we begin, I would just like to congratulate myself on finally finishing this book. Even though I was supposed to be done 3 weeks ago, I still consider this to be on-time. It just shows how painfully behind schedule I am.

But yes, I'm proud I actually got shit done for the first time in months. Especially because this is the third fucking time I've written this review due to computer crashing and such.

Now then. On to the real party.

The Hollow... I have mixed feeling about this book. Like, a
Bern
So, the story takes place in Sleepy Hollow (which just so happens to be the city in which Washington Irving's short story named The Sleepy Hollow happens - shocking) and tells the story about Abbey, a girl whose best friend Kristen has just killed herself under mysterious circumstances.

While dealing with her loss, Abbey meets a boy named Caspian and is instantaneously attracted to him, and as her feelings for him grow stronger, Abbey starts to think that the happiness that he makes her feel wi
SimBim
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Verday's writing style is beautiful for a debut author and I really enjoyed this first and foremost. I also really liked the protagonist, Abbey; a refreshing change from some other annoying proagonist's I have read about in YA.

I could also really connect with the book; Abbey losing her best friend Kristen. The emotions, Ms.Verday puts into her book are torrid and undestandandable. I honestly felt Abbey's pain whenever she thought about Kristen. God knows what I would do if I ever lost my best fr
  • Devoured
  • Swoon (Swoon, #1)
  • Betrayal  (Immortal #2)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
  • Banished (Banished, #1)
  • Dead Rules
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Whisper
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)
  • Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
Jessica Verday is the New York Times bestselling author of The Hollow Trilogy, published by Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse. She wrote the first draft of THE HOLLOW by hand, using thirteen spiral-bound notebooks and fifteen black pens. The first draft of THE HAUNTED took fifteen spiral-bound notebooks and twenty black pens. THE HIDDEN took too many notebooks and too many pens to count. Find out m ...more
More about Jessica Verday...

The Hollow (3 books)
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • The Hidden (The Hollow, #3)

“At that moment - in that small, concise, perfectly clear moment of time - I knew. It was that moment I fell in love with him. It actually caused me to stop, and time froze for just a second. But that feeling was so right, and so strong, that I knew I wasn't wrong.” 140 likes
“I de­ci­ded right then and the­re to ma­ke a snic­ker­do­od­le per­fu­me to we­ar, so that one day he wo­uld sniff me li­ke that.” 101 likes