Start by marking “Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)

Daughter of Smoke & Bone

(Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  282,569 ratings  ·  27,745 reviews
Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou
Hardcover, US, 422 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Smoke & Bone, please sign up.
Lydia Young If you like fairy tales, epic love stories, and wild imagination, this is the book for you. Agree with all of the others - it is absolutely nothing…moreIf you like fairy tales, epic love stories, and wild imagination, this is the book for you. Agree with all of the others - it is absolutely nothing like Hunger Games or Divergent. I enjoyed both of those books, but Laini Taylor's lyrical, lovely writing blows me away. Her imagination...I'd love to take a peek into her brain and see who/what lives there.

Also, try her book of short stories - Lips Touch Three Times. Talk about exquisite writing and storytelling...(less)
Destiney Houghtalen I loved it. You just kind of have to stick with it because at the beginning it's going kind of fast and it's a little confusing with all the build up.…moreI loved it. You just kind of have to stick with it because at the beginning it's going kind of fast and it's a little confusing with all the build up. I promise it gets better if you stick with it by the middle you can't stop reading and before you know it its over and you have to read the next one.(less)

·  282,569 ratings  ·  27,745 reviews

Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Once upon a time, a fantasy book came unto the young adult world and set it aflame. Long-time fans of the author swooned. Mainstream publications wrote cryptic but positive impressions. And many readers declared that the book was leaps and bounds above all other young adult literature previously published.

It's always a little tricky reading a book that arrives with a crazy amount of hype, even one that's not accompanied by the lavish praise that has been heaped upon this one, as
Kat Kennedy
Do you remember that Taylor Swift song about Romeo and Juliet, Love Story?

It's lyrics go something like this:

I'm a pretty little girl who knows nothing about literature
So I sing a song about starcrossed lovers
Whose only problem is that Daddy doesn't approve
But it's all good because we get married anyway.
Just like that cliffnote's story about Romeo and Juliet!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy!

Scott Pilgrim gif of girl shooting herself in the head

We have a tendency with YA literature today, to have stories with the s
Cait
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As a P.S. in order to understand this review better if you haven't read the Fallen series, please check out my thoughts on the other book that I will be discussing here.

This book is like some sort of weird alien. When I finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone I wasn't quite sure how to handle it.

What are you, Daughter of Smoke and Bone?

In the synopsis of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, it tells you that this is a story about how a "demon" falls in love with an "angel." So one would think that this is ab
Emily May
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, everyone

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone tells the age-old tale of forbidden love with a beautifully constructed mythological twist. Karou and Akiva are a Romeo and Juliet unlike any other and Laini Taylor has managed to encapture love, loneliness and desperation in a masterpiece of a novel that deserves to be read by anyone of any age who truly appreciates quality writing and story-telling.

Karou is a 17 year old art student living in Prague. She gossips with girlfri
Elise (TheBookishActress)
My original review here was “punch :) me :) in :) the :) face :)” and I think that accurately sums my view up. That being said, here's an actual review that's NOT just me crying! Amazing!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone follows a demon's assistant, Karou, who helps to collect teeth for the family of her youth. It's a creative story that pulled me in from the beginning. Before we were 40 pages in, I knew I had found a favorite.

THE WRITING

Just as beautiful as everyone says. Laini Taylor's writing flows across the/>Just/>Daughter
Tatiana
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As seen on The Readventurer

When I first heard the details of the premise of Laini Taylor's new book, for a moment I thought Laini must have read my review of Personal Demons. In that review I rant about how great story ideas are squandered away. You see, Personal Demons had a very interesting concept - a demon and an angel battling for the soul of a human girl. There are so many creative opportunities in the angel/demon lore, I thought surely the author would make something good out of it. I was wrong then - the story turned
Kay
Ooh. OOOH! Meh... Mehhhhhhhhh...........

Which basically summarizes my reaction throughout the novel.

I hate it when things like this happen, when books start out so strong with an intriguing world and a growing character. But before you know it, it goes splat into a big mud puddle of Cliche and Predictability and WowThisRemindsMeOf100OtherYABooks.

The Ooh.

The book started out very, very strong. The premise was very interesting: Karou, an orphaned human girl adopted by demon magicians, is sent out on missions to collect t
Nick
4.8 SMOKY STARS!

Mountain View

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Freaking amazing book.I didn't expect this to bblog!
Freakingclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
“Once

Mountain View

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Freaking amazing book.I didn't expect this to be this good.I couldn't put the book down,like literally.Everything fits perfectly ,the characters ,the story,everything.It is so unique and different from other stories.And it's actually the first book written in third person that I enjoyed because I'm not a fan of third person books.

____________________________________________
“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”

Mountain View

The writing style was beyond perfect.It's uniqueness is what makes this book so special.The way words cling together...amazing.I must say I was confused at some parts because the English that is used in this book is quite difficult to understand and there were a lot of words I didn't get but that didn't stop me from truly adoring this book from page one to the last.

____________________________________________
“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.”

Mountain View

The ending was epic.The way things puzzle together is remarkable.The epilogue was also good,short but good.It clarified what happened after the ending.But there was also a cliff.

So the story:

Mountain View

This book is about a girl , blue haired girl who lives two lives.A normal one with school and teachers and boring classes,and another one,filled with fantasy and strange characters,with teeth and wishes,the elsewhere.One day she meets an angel,and from that moment her life changes,both of her lives.Her early life was a mystery,a cloudy image in her heard.Her entire life she was haunted by one question "Who am I" and after meeting the angel she was one step closer to find the answer.But did she really wanted to know?

____________________________________________
“She moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.”

The characters:

Karou

Mountain View

This character is so cool.She is unique and funny and tough and freaking beautiful.I liked her dirty sense of humor.She is such a mystery.

Akiva

Mountain View

Akiva is one of those characters you can predict somehow.He is caring and determined as a lot of male main characters.What surprised me what his sense of humor.As awkward as it sounded it actually fits him.

I highly recommend this book to paranormal angel/demons lovers.I actually recommend this book to all the readers because it is the art itself.

Mountain View

*Pictures from the review are not mine, I took them mostly from Google images or Tumblr*
Zoë
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

The writing was mysterious and lovely and I really enjoyed this! Because of how mysterious it is, I'm really glad that I went into it knowing nothing. I was sufficiently confused for the better part of this book, but very intrigued, so it was more like putting together a puzzle than trying to run around blindfolded. I think the world is so original and I'm ready to see where this story goes! (Also, YAY for no insta-love!)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread with For Love Of A Book! Fantastic on Audio too!

OMG! I loved this book so much! I am so in love with Akiva! The below picture was the best I could find that is sort of what I picture. It doesn't have his amazing black shadow fire wings or the longish black hair that I imagine, but who cares =)

Once upon a time,
a little girl was raised by monsters.
But angels burned the doorways to their world,
and she was all alone.

I love Karou's character. She's got blue hair, she can draw, she has a best
Patrick
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just Wow.

I got an ARC of this one about a month ago, and only just now got around to reading it. I really liked Laini's first Dreamdark book, so I was eager to try this one.

It was great. Really great. Read it all in a day.

Wow.
Samantha
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2016
4.5 stars? 4.75 stars?! It's been a while since I've started a new series and been this head over heels. My gut says I can't quite give it 5 stars for a few verrrry minor reasons but I may change my mind the more I think (*obsess*) about this book.

Full review and gush to come on my channel!
Helena of Sparta ✰
description

description

FINALLY. Finally, after three weeks of the midterms from hell, I was finally able to re-read my favourite trilogy of all time! Boy, did I need a pick-me-up, after that! I don’t even have the words to express how much the DOSAB trilogy means to me…but I’ll try. ;) Regardless, this does mark my fifth read of the trilogy, apparently: 2011-2014 (1st)magic.”
Haleema
This book did not piss me off! I'm ELATED. I forgot the entire story, though. So I may read it again because I want to finish the entire series.
Steph Sinclair

You know that book you're reading right now? How about all those books on your "TBR" list? FORGET ABOUT 'EM!

I first stumbled across Laini Taylor when I was encouraged by several of my GoodReader friends to read Lips Touch. So, I read it and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away. However, I think it was a "It's not you, it's me" situation because anthologies and I don't really get along. I went into this book thinking it was just another PNR, Angel style. I couldn't have been more wrong. If Romeo &a
karen
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
this book is astonishingly good.

this is the book i should have been handed when i first expressed an interest in exploring the world of the fantasy novel. never mind that isn't not going to be published for three more months (thank you to the girl with BEA access for getting this for me), it should have happened somehow.

this is the most pure example of fantasy that i have seen so far.
and it is nearly perfect.

once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. it did not end well.

a fantastic opening to a book.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Note: Be warned that this is one of those reviews that in no way can do justice to the actual novel, but there's no harm in trying. Regardless, I greatly urge anyone who has even the slightest interest in this book to procure a copy when it's released on September 27, 2011.

Seven Perfect Reasons Why You Should Read Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor:

1. The writing is fantastic, dang it.

Now, I loved Laini Taylor's first young adult offering, Lips Touch: Three Times (You've read it, haven't you?  HA/>Seven
Lia
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Even though a huge number of people I know seems to consider DoSaB the best thing since sliced bread, I couldn't have liked it less even it I tried.
And, trust me, I tried.
Halfway through it I realized this book just isn't for me. Instead of making me feel something, it just left me bored and annoyed, and eager to either get drunk on cough syrup or punch someone in the teeth.
I liked the premise and all the mystery surrounding the chimaeras and the teeth affair, but something spoiled it.
I was also pre
jessica
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ive always had the opinion that the whole paranormal urban fantasy genre is just not for me, no thank you. but fortunately people grow, preferences change, and i am that much better for it because this was actually really good! reading and liking this book made me feel like im finally reaching my full potential as a person. yay me! haha.

what i enjoyed most was probably the setting - i dont think ive ever read a book that was set in prague or marrakech, both of which are cities that i adore! so
emi
4.25/5 stars

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.

In case you didn't know: the greatest feeling in the world, as proven by actual scientists and not some 19-year old girl laying braless in bed, is when you reread a book you loved the first time around and love it even more the second time. That sense of euphoria that will rush over you once you realize that your memory did not deceive you and everything you think you know might possibly not be wrong is considered tostars
Catie
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Catie by: Tatiana
Not just five stars…one million stars, two sister moons, and two pairs of wings in flight. That’s how beautiful this book is. I hope this is a huge hit, and all the kids read it. Listen up kids, this book has everything that you’re looking for: secrets, paranormal creatures, hot guys, best friends; passionate, enduring, forbidden, love…and angst! But unlike all the rest, this one is the real thing.

It’s times like these that I wish I was a real, honest to goodness book fairy, with little wings
Nataliya
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nataliya by: Trudi
A teeth-gathering blue-haired spunky young woman raised by a Wishmonger gets caught in the middle of the long war waged in the 'Elsewhere'. Pictographically:

Was this book perfect? Not nearly. But I still loved it, even despite the annoying 'classic' YA tropes that it was NOT immune to:

(1) insta-love (actually, it happens twice),
(2) the otherwordly, basically underpants-disintegrating beauty of the male love interest - who initially, of course,
(3) tries to murder our heroine.
Still, Daughter of Smoke and Bone managed to captivate me and convince me to forgive its flaws by making its kickass protagonist, Karou, the girl who I hope my future (hypothetical) daughter will hang out with.

I love that Daughter of Smoke and Bone avoided the easy and tempting pitfall of presenting the heroine as an ordinary unremarkable girl, a blank slate ready for readers' self-insertion, little else but a plot device to make the reader fulfill the desire of experiencing a relationship with an attractive mysterious male love interest. Some popular YA novels with female characters are really the odes to the male lead using the heroine as our eyes to stare at the hero. Daughter of Smoke and Bone thankfully DOES NOT follow this annoying path.

The blue-haired ass-kicking raised-by-chimaera Karou is clearly not your regular high school girl "blessed" to become the object of attentions of a supernatural being. From the beginning, she is established as a remarkably talented, strong and independent young woman, who - shockingly for the YA novels about innocent high-schoolers - is even sexually experienced. She leads a double life, belonging both to the ordinary and the supernatural worlds.
She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor of a devil’s lair. She wasn’t innocent now, but she didn’t know what to do about it. This was her life: magic and shame and secrets and teeth and a deep, nagging hollow at the center of herself where something was most certainly missing.
And most importantly, unlike the innocent all-talk-no-action young women in many a YA book, Karou does not hesitate to stand up for herself. She does not need a protector and does not hide behind the strong shoulders of the male lead; as a matter of fact, she kicks his ass, almost literally. And even in the evil clutches of required YA insta-love she maintains her identity and independence, does not automatically center her life around her romantic interest, and retains the ability - like any young woman should - to call out her romantic interest on the consequences of his actions without blindly trusting and blindly forgiving.
But something unyielding in her shrank from the promise. He might have chosen her, but that didn’t mean that she would do the same if she were faced with the same choice—against Brimstone, Issa, Yasri, Twiga. She had told Brimstone, “I want you to know I would never just leave you,” and she wouldn’t. She would choose her family. Anything else was unthinkable, though even now the idea of turning and leaving Akiva behind brought on physical pain.
She is not afraid to assert her views and values and stick up for what she believes. She is not afraid to call Akiva out on his hate and, for the lack of a better word, racism.
'So basically,' she said to Akiva, trying to gather all the things he’d told her into a simple strand, 'the seraphim want to rule the world, the chimaera don’t want to be ruled, and that makes them evil.'
To recap my excited bumbling - Karou is strong-willed, rebellious, bold, independent, curious, adventurous, talented, funny, and loyal. Basically, I could not help but imagine her as an older sister of Neil Gaiman's Coraline. My future (hypothetical) daughter can definitely have sleepovers at Karou's flat, that's all I'm sayin'.
=================================================
This book also, in a way, attempts to subvert the long-standing trope of equating beauty and goodness. It does not always succeed, as both protagonists are exceptionally beautiful, and their attractiveness is repeatedly emphasized. But at least there is an attempt to make the more traditionally attractive otherwordly race the bad guys, making us root for the chimaera, not the angels.
He can’t see it. It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry ‘Monster!’ and looked behind him.
=======================================
I liked Laini Taylor's writing; it's pretty crisp and flows well. The characters (even Akiva, whom I frankly hated) are well fleshed-out and are quite memorable even if their appearances are quite short. I enjoyed that the messages this book was trying to convey went past the "it's great to have a boyfriend" and "romantic love is the only thing you need to be happy" angle that again, I've seen too many times in the books aimed at girls and young women. I like how it emphasizes loyalty, hope, friendship, and even duty. Thumbs up for all that, book!
Hope? Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.

=================================================
All that said, it's an enjoyable and rather well-executed book with a lovely and refreshingly strong female protagonist. It falls prey to some YA clichés, but recovers from them quite nicely. I will definitely read the second book in the series just to see how my new blue-haired friend Karou is getting along. But I do hope it does not fully devolve into another paranormal love story, because then I will be severely disappointed.

4 stars rounded up from 3.75.

--------
For my review of the sequel, Days of Blood and Starlight, (five-star alert, by the way!), you can head over here.
The third and final book, Dreams of Gods and Monsters, is reviewed here.
Kiki
Hmmm. I’ve already started writing a long review for this one, and I’ll post it asap, but I finished this conflicted. Make of that what you will.
Hannah
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
STARTING THE SECOND ONE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THAT ENDING WAS TOO MUCH I LOVED IT
Claudia Ramírez
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

I really liked this book, and I wasn't even expecting it! The thing is... the first piece of work I read from Laini Taylor was her short story in "My true love gave to me twelve holiday stories", and I didn't like it, at all. So naturally, after reading that, I wasn't eager to dive into this, BUT OH, I'm glad I did! It was simply amazing! The thing I loved the most about this book is the world Laini created! It is beautiful and intriguing and so original! I love eve
Megs ♥
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Finally, a book that lives up to the hype. I haven't read a book that lives up to the hype this well, actually, since Hunger Games. That's a coincidence considering that Karou has quickly earned the number two spot on my list of all-time favorite heroines...Second only to Katniss Everdeen, of course. And no, I'm not comparing this to Hunger Games in any way, just sayin'.

This book came highly recommended to me from a number of people. Ever since it came out in September of 2011 I have
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I had so many ups and downs reading this book, ranging from pages and pages and pages of complete disinterest in the beginning, to complete enjoyment in the new type of fantasy world described, to utter boredom in the flashback scenes. Yeah, I know the backstory of Madrigal's past life is a big deal in the scheme of the book. That doesn't mean I didn't find it incredibly boring.
emma
once upon a time, there was a girl who picked up a book hoping for action and magic and fantastical adventures. instead, she got instalove, and her heart wept.

(that book was this book and that girl was me.)

review to come

------

i have owned this for two years and this is the first time i've even opened it.

buddy read with nadhira
Dija

The ending!

There are already many, many in-depth and detailed reviews for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and because no one wants to read a review where I gush on and on about how much I loved this or adored that, I'll avoid being boring and keep this short and simple.

I loved:
1. Karou
2. Akiva.
3. The writing.
4. The setting.
5. Karou.
6. The book title.
7. Zuzana.
8. Akiva and Karou's love.
9. Brimstone.

ending.
Ipacing.
Madrigal.
Kaz.
disliked:
titles.
IBrimstone.
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, owned
Rating 3.5 stars

I have been reluctant to read this for the longest time, but after falling in love with Strange the Dreamer I finally took the plunge!

And can I just say, Zuzana = life

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Chime
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Forbidden (The Demon Trappers, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant
  • The Space Between
  • Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
  • Darkness Falls (Immortal Beloved, #2)
  • Speak
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Plain Kate
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Fateful
  • A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
Hi! I write fantasy books. My latest is STRANGE THE DREAMER, about a young librarian, a mythic lost city, and the half-human children of murdered gods. Check it out :-) Before that I wrote the DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE trilogy, which has been translated into 32 languages. It's about a blue-haired art student raised by monsters, a broken angel, and a war that has raged for 1000 years in another ...more

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (3 books)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3)

3061 likes
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” 2918 likes