Start by marking “Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding” as Want to Read:
Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding

Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding

This guide fuses the wisdom of the East and West, and explores how ancient Asian battle strategies and cultural mindsets can be applied today to achieve mental toughness and winning business techniques.
Published April 1st 1995 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published July 1992)

Patrick Wallace
Jan 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is one of those books which you often see in the Asian section of bookstores, purporting to relate some long, lost mystical secret of the Orient, but actually offering up junk psychology in Asian garb.

The conceit of this book is that it is offering up ancient, accepted wisdom. However, it certainly is not, The Thick Black Theory has its origins in the writings of Li Zongwu (1879-1944), a failed bureaucrat in the late Qing Dynasty. Li felt that the path to success lay in the pursuit of unbr
Andrew
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Nice book. Gives a very good insight on how to be victor and not a victim. By reading this book you get an impression that nobody's perfect as a matter of fact everybody has done something in their lives that they thought was really grossly stupid or out of line. But at the end of the day life is not about what you've done before but if you are willing to accept yourself and move on. Life is about how far are willing to go to pay the price to success. The people who accept themselves their (stre ...more
Jake Danishevsky
This book was strongly recommended to me by my master. As soon as I opened it, I knew that this would be one of the greatest books, which I had a chance to get my hands on. This review will never be able to explain and do justice to the actual contents of what is inside.

Ms. Chin-Ning Chu has been a consultant for various organizations. She has been a business liaison between American and Asian Corporations for many years. She gave speeches and conferences on variety of subjects in business devel
علي الماجد
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
انهيت الكتاب وانا في مشاعر مختلطة حوله فهو من ناحيه واقعي جدا في كيفية الوصول الى الاهداف وهذا ما لم المسه في الكتب الاخري التي تعني بتنمية الذات وتحقيق المأرب و لكن في الوقت ذات مادي جدا و يميل الى التخلي عن المشاعر والتحول الى الاناني الطموح الذي لا يهمه شيء في العالم الا تحقيق مأربه وقد ضرب الكثير من الامثال حول القادة اللذين كان تحقيق الاهداف اهم من القيم والمبادىء
خطر الى بالي الامين و المأمون ابناء الرشيد اللذين اقتتلوا حول احقية الخلافة رغم انهما اخوة من اب واحد و لكن خوال المأمون من العج
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
Бездеятельность - лекарство от хаоса.

Пусть темная ночь пройдет. В жизни постоянно лишь одно — ее переменчивая природа. Дикие животные хорошо это понимают. После щедрого лета приходит суровая зима, а за ней следует весна. Среди всех божьих созданий только человек встречает паникой любые перемены.

Живите так, как будто живете чужой жизнью. Тогда вы ощутите невероятную свободу и облегчение, а ваше отношение ко всему изменится.
Если ваша жизнь вам кажется невыносимой, тогда представьте себе, что это
Donitello
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
To see why see why I love Chin Ning Chu’s masterful book, just read some of the 45 reader reviews on amazon.com: “Motivation and success book for grown-ups.” “Machiavelli meets the Dalai Lama.” “You need no other book!”

Granted, no single book will suit every taste. So it is not surprising that some readers criticize this one. It takes on a gargantuan task: seeking to explain something of the Asian way of thinking to Western folks. Yet with China soon to be the number 1 trading partner for MANY
Genoa
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how to incorporate Chinese military strategy into your everyday life. I'm a new person for reading this. look out!
Gregg Bell
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes these eastern mysticism/self-help books make me feel mean.

Reading them are like watching Kung-Fu movies. I mean, c'mon be honest, after you watch a Bruce Lee movie don't you feel like giving somebody a karate chop? (Even if it's only the mailman.)

Thick Face, Black Heart delivers on fueling the desire to karate chop the mailman. How could it not with "Black Heart" in the title? This book is about wiping your enemies out. But it's about much more, as well.

It's really a hodge-podge of thi
DC Vairavel
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would put this book as a must read for almost everyone - people who are just starting to work or even for people who have enough experience. Lot of what the author says rings a bell within you somewhere and you are able to relate to the content very easily. The book is written in easy style and prose that is very practical and easy to follow. Overall, a great book without all the management mumbo jumbo!
Brock
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As someone who wants to face-down their insecurities, because bottom-line, those prevent us from achiving great relationships and success in life, I found this book a help. It is one that I will need to go back and read every other year, much like "How to Win Friends and Influence People", to apply continueous improvement to my own life.
Tikiri Herath
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the few books that made an immense impact in how I viewed the world, and myself.
James
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books on life I have so far read.
Giselle
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keep this book within easy reach. You will refer to it a lot in your lifetime!
Natalina
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended long time ago by my former boss, Mr. Choong when I was working as junior staff. It taught me how to be tough at work and in general life. Thank you, Sir!
Trinh Bui
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mặt Dày - Tâm Đen mô tả quy luật của tự nhiên chi phối cách ứng xử thành công trong mọi khía cạnh của cuộc sống. Tuân theo quy luật của tự nhiên trong những ứng phó hàng ngày sẽ phát huy tiềm năng cao nhất của chúng ta, nhờ đó dẫn chúng ta đến chỗ giải mã đúng định mệnh của cuộc đời mình.

Mặt Dày: một lá chắn để bảo vệ lòng tự trọng của mình khỏi sự chê trách của người khác. Người Mặt Dày lão luyện sẽ xây dựng cho mình một hình ảnh tích cực, bất chấp chỉ trích của người khác. Người Mặt Dày có kh
Nguyen Huu Anh Vu
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Đây là quyển sách hay. Tác giả dựa trên nguồn kiến thức phong phú và kinh nghiệm dày dạn của mình đã giới thiệu mọi người đến nhiều khái niệm từ nhiều triết lý khác nhau:
- Dharma: Hành động phù hợp với bổn phận của mỗi người. Bổn phận này là thuận theo tự nhiên.
- Chúng ta chuyển từ sống trong u tối, không hành động (Tamas) sang hành động vì bản thân (Rajas) sang hành động thuận theo Dharma, hài hòa, hành động đơn thuần vì niềm vui của hành động(Sattva)
- Binh Pháp Tôn Tử: Khôn ngoan nhưng phải gi
TatSheng
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book I've read in my life so far. The timing of the introduction of the book to me might have played a role on why I favour it, as it let me to realisations of the things and forces around me that I've never question or taken for granted, that is until I've read this book.

The author describe a theory she embrace unconsciously throughout her life, consisting of values that key historical figure embrace themselves. A thick face, the shield, and a black heart, the spear. The author describ
Maarten Ten Velden
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read that can shake your beliefs. Definitely if you, like many people (including myself), have learned to sacrifice your personal wants and passions for the benefit of society.

The author's story is very inspiring in and of itself. Her story of having to flee her country because of war is heart-breaking. If you live in a first-world country and have ever thought that you had it rough, reading this will humble you.

The book is not straight-forward and uses lots of symbolism, imagery, an
Thang Tran
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an amusing and interesting book, presenting numerous social and personal relationship tatics - a combination of Machiavellian and ancient Chinese philosophies - that I find starkly contrast with my values and principles, but seem applicable in various "fish-eat-fish" situations in this complex world. It emphasizes humility and endurance in the face of struggle, and also the ability to strike back whenever necessary. However, generally it makes me feel that if I were to follow the advice, ...more
Dieu Thu
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tôi đọc cuốn sách này sau khi đọc cuốn "Phải trái, đúng sai" của Michael Sandel, và có lẽ đây là thời điểm hoàn hảo. Đọc "Phải trái, đúng sai" giúp tôi hiểu hành động, suy nghĩ của những con người với góc nhìn khác nhau, mục tiêu khác nhau, dẫn đến lựa chọn khác nhau. Nhưng đôi khi ngẫm nghĩ về những lựa chọn mình có thể gặp phải, tôi vẫn băn khoăn giữa những ngã rẽ. Lối đi nào cũng có lý lẽ riêng, mục tiêu riêng, biết chọn con đường nào?
Đến "Mặt dày, tâm đen", tôi được "thức tỉnh" cái gì đó hoa
Luca Pendu
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a mandatory reading for everyone who is used to "turn the other cheek" whenever someone else wrongs him/her.

It teaches us to accept and embrace the "dark" aspects of reality and people that are already out there, if we just open our eyes.
This doesn't mean being pessimistic or negative though. Cruise ship crews educate their passengers on how to behave in an emergency situation not because they plan on having the ship sink, but because they are realistic and they have to be prepared for
Winnie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siêu hay mà cũng siêu khó hiểu dù tác giả đã cố gắng diễn đạt ngắn gọn súc tích. Bạn sẽ biết được bộ mặt thật của những người thành công và những mánh khóe, cạm bẫy xung quanh bạn.
Nên đọc và đọc nhiều lần chứ đọc 1 lần không hiểu đâu.

Trích dẫn: "Không phải là việc lời nói hay hành động của bạn cứng rắn hay dịu dàng, chính tinh thần ở đằng sau hành động và lời nói của bạn sẽ cho biết trạng thái bên trong của bạn"
Huy Hoàng
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tựa đề cuốn sách dễ khiến người mới nhìn vào có ấn tượng không tốt đẹp về nội dung cuốn sách.

Tác giả là người có hiểu biết về triết học nhân sinh sâu sắc, quan điểm của tác giả chắc chắn trái ngược với hầu hết mọi người.

Nếu ngẫm nghĩ sâu xa, có thể thấy được ý tưởng tổng quát của tác giả trong cuốn sách này là
"Cứ để mọi việc thuận theo tự nhiên"
Lolo
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great book
Vinita Surana
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strong and assertive!

Definitely a goto book on how to live life and form the foundation of your own values.

It's a bible of sorts
Pigeonthuy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn sách rất đáng đọc cho mọi người. Mặt dày - tâm đen giúp chúng ta sống cuộc sống của chính mình với cái đầu lạnh & trái tim nóng (theo quan điểm cá nhân của mình).
Todd Benschneider
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting modern “the art of war” type book
Morgan
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone in business. I wish I read this years ago.
Adam Perry
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Too much reliance on a god to provide answers or reassurance.
Kirtida Gautam
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chakra-3
Fight back when you have been wronged, Find your inner warrior and conquer all in your path. Unchain your primitive killer instincts for a life-affirming cause.

I needed this book at this point in my life. I have written a novel named #iAm16iCan-- inspired by the Delhi rape case 2012-- that delves deeply into the psychology of gender violence in Indian society. How misogyny and patriarchy fuels sexual violence in India.
My next books in Yin Yang Series also talks how prejudice fuels gender viole
good 1 17 Feb 21, 2010 08:17PM
  • No B.S. Ruthless Management of People and Profits: No Holds Barred, Kick Butt, Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Really Getting Rich
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing
  • Secrets of Great Rainmakers: The Keys to Success and Wealth
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat: The Secret Science Behind Physical Transformation
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • A Mosque in Munich: Nazis, the CIA, and the Rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in the West
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)
  • Muscles: Testing and Function, with Posture and Pain
  • The Wisdom of Mike Mentzer: The Art, Science and Philosophy of a Bodybuilding Legend
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The Hidden Words
  • In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Berets
  • Narcissism: Denial of the True Self
  • Xena: Warrior Princess
  • Character Analysis
“Our negative life situations are essential elements for us to fulfill our intended destiny. However, unless we possess the power of endurance to live through the dark of the night, we will not see the glory of daybreak.” 13 likes
“Success also requires the courage to risk disapproval. Most independent thought, new ideas, or endeavors beyond the common measure are greeted with disapproval, and ranging from skepticism and ridicule to violent outrage. To persevere in anything exceptional requires inner strength and the unshakable conviction that you are right.” 11 likes