Start by marking “Wonder” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Everything changes for twelve-year-old Jessica when she enters junior high school and finds herself a social outcast, ignored by all her former friends.
Published June 1st 1993 by Puffin (first published 1991)

Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
One time I was over on the other island (you know the one) and had tonsillitis and no one would share their drugs with me and the clinic there wouldn't even give me some fucking Tylenol and the guy I'd been 'seeing' (code for staying with so that I wouldn't have to go home) and whose dad listened to Meatloaf all day long, broke up with me (because he was still in love with his cousin) and threw me out. And I had nowhere to go. And I finally went to the library there and they had this book, which ...more
Melissa ***BITCH, I'M READING!***
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger.. I still think about it today and I crack up!
Sammy L
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quarter-2
"Wonder," by Rachel Vail is about a seventh grade girl named Jessica who's former best friend, Sheila ditches her to join a group of five girls who all dress alike. All six of the girls wear three barrettes and their group is very exclusive. On top of being invisible to Sheila, the group is now calling her "Wonder," after her polka dotted dress that she wore, which looks like Wonder Bread. Jessica's new name is sticking, making her very unpopular. She sits alone at lunch, she doesn't have any fr ...more
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rachel Vail was another one of my favorite authors growing up. If you like Judy Blume you will like Rachel Vail. This is a story about a girl who is entering junior high and being all excited for it. She bought a new dress to wear to school that was white with red, blue and yellow polka dots on it. On the first day, she finds out her best friend is now in the "popular" crowd and they make fun her calling her "Wonder" because her dress looks like the Wonder bread wrapper. She learns how to deal w ...more
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I often lament the lack of "malt-shop" books for today's youth, but I guess they are just geared more toward the middle grades (the fifteen year olds are busy shooting up and buying Lanvin. My high school years sucked). This was a nice little book about a girl dealing with cliques and her exclusion as well as first love. Bonus points for some relatively normal families. Truly enjoyed this one.
Shelby Bretschneider
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is about this girl who was just starting junior high and hated it right when she got there.She was friends with this girl named Shelia when she was younger, bt then one day Shelia ditched her for this other group of friends. She wondered why she did this and then she got a boyfriend and a new group of friends and life was starting to get better for her.
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This book accurately captures the sheer horror of being a (white middle class) girl in middle school. No great depth here, and I don't think the plot is particularly engaging to anyone over the age of about 14, but still, if you want a picture of that particular universe, she nailed it. Painful.
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Kelly A.
Aug 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: some-i-own
What I remember most is Jessica taping a penny to her bellybutton to reverse her outie. hahha
Macy Snyder
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Very short and easy to read! Good for readers that like short and entertaining books!! :)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! It is super cute and an easy read. I don't remember when I bought this book but I know it was about 15 years ago. I read it today at work just for fun and loved it again!
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this at least three times circa 1993. Awkward junior high stories really hit home when I was awkward and about to go into junior high.
Oct 23, 2014 added it
I loved this book when I was in middle school. I don't remember much about it other than that it made me feel cool and mature even though my own life was quite different from the characters'...
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is book is hilarious! I think it might be the best book ever written for preteen girls. I still laugh so hard I almost pee in my pants every time I read it.
Lots of kissing and odd "love" games.
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite books as a pre-teen.
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
great book!! and i like the paradoy (or whatever it's called) to "do-over". really funny.
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A fast read.
Natalie Kleopfer
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a young girl!
May 27, 2011
Jul 03, 2008
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2014
  • The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
  • My Name Is Sus5an Smith: The 5 Is Silent
  • Max Makes a Million
  • The Zebra Wall
  • Ducky: Diary 3 (California Diaries, #15)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Better Than You Think You Are
  • The Amen Solution: The Brain Healthy Way to Lose Weight and Keep It Off
  • Sons of the 613
  • Modesty, Makeovers, and the Pursuit of Physical Beauty: What Mothers and Daughters Need to Know
  • Selected Poems
  • Dooley Takes the Fall (Ryan Dooley, #1)
  • The Cookcamp
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Money: How to Make It, Save It, And Spend It
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...