Start by marking “Encountering the Chinese: A Modern Country, an Ancient Culture” as Want to Read:
Encountering the Chinese: A Modern Country, an Ancient Culture

Encountering the Chinese: A Modern Country, an Ancient Culture

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Decode Chinese values and cultural norms while identifying cross-cultural factors that often lead to failed business negotiations with Encountering the Chinese. In this third edition, the advice and recommended skills enable Westerners and the Chinese to establish more effective and rewarding relationships, both inside and outside of the People’s Republic of China.
Published May 16th 2010 by Nicholas Brealey (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Encountering the Chinese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encountering the Chinese

Erin
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chinese
I was giving a presentation on the differences between the American educational system and the Chinese educational system. I was able to include my experiences living in China, but wanted some other source material. I found this book to be very useful in describing some important cultural differences.

For example, plaigrism is not a concern in China because students are expected to repeat what they are taught in class. In fact, copying large amounts of text from someone else is considered to be g
Jennie
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before going to live in China, and found it very straightforward, sensitive, and extremely helpful. I had no idea how polar-opposite eastern and western cultures could be until I arrived, but having read this book I was prepared for a lot of what I encountered and was more understanding- even if adjusting was still difficult.
Andrew
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The form is pretty standard. It's a Chinese culture book like many others. That being said, this one is extremely well-written and enlightening. Especially compared to most other Chinese culture books I've read. I highly recommend it.
Finlay
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chinese
This was a good cultural overview of China. I was aware of all the broad themes, but I found a number of subtleties that refined my understanding, and put some previous interactions in a new light. Very useful. Including pinyin without tone marks is annoying, though.
Garrett
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture, china, mais
This is a fantastic book for any person who will be interacting with Chinese nationals, especially in a business environment, or living in China. The author presents a very well-thought out explanation of Chinese culture as well as tips and pointers for Westerners.
M
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schoolbooks
I could cut and paste the essay I had to write about it, but that would be boring. If you have to read this, you have my sympathy.
Gregory Kaplan
Good use of scholarly sources and firsthand accounts. Like most "culturalist" descriptions, though, one wonders how accurate most of the generalizations are.
Jessica
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A huge asset to anyone thinking of living in China. The insights contained in this book will really help me avoid some of the awkwardness incurred by a cultural shift.
Leesy