Start by marking “Here to Stay (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #10)” as Want to Read:
Here to Stay (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #10)

Here to Stay

(Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan #10)

CATHERINE ANDERSON WILL TOUCH YOUR EMOTIONS WITH THE NEXT CONTEMPORARY STORY IN HER HARRIGAN FAMILY SERIES.

Mandy Pajeck had a tough childhood --- an abusive father, a mother who left, and a younger brother, Luke, who depended on her when she was just a child herself. Now twenty-eight, Mandy remains devoted to Luke and feels responsible for the accident that took his sight.
Published January 25th 2011 by Berkley Books (first published December 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Here to Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here to Stay

Auntee
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the author
You know what? I really enjoyed this book. Even though there wasn't much romance (not until page 366), and the heroine (28 year old Mandy Pajeck) sometimes frustrated me, and the heroine's 19 year old brother (Luke) started out as an unlikable spoiled brat/baby...there was just something compelling about this book. Obviously a lot of it has to do with Catherine Anderson's skills as a writer--her ability to tell a well rounded, interesting story is first rate. And it also helps to have a to-die-f ...more
Katie(babs)
Nov 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
I use to love Catherine’s books, and to be honest, I don’t know how this made the NYT because this book is the reason I’m officially breaking up with Catherine Anderson.

The premise to Here to Stay was what made me want to read this book. Using mini guide horses, instead of seeing eye dogs for the blind is something I never heard of. Zach Harrigan lives on a ranch, much like most of Anderson’s heroes do, as well as part of a large, loving family. From the very first chapter where we meet Zach at
namericanwordcat
I needed way more romance but loved the guide horse so much I kept reading.

The heroine is very messed up from her childhood. I wish she would have sought out professional help much earlier in the book. This would have made for better reader.

I liked the hero though his reaction to a separation they go through is off putting.

So, not my favorite but worth reading for the miniature guide horse, Rosebud.
mad4rombks
Read more like a General Fiction book than a Romance Book. Story was more focused on the relationship of the heroine and her 19 year old blind brother than it was on the heroine and the hero. Am really sad to say that as I used to love Catherine Anderson's books but the last few have just not done it for me. Find them boring at times and the romance between the characters taking a back seat to whatever "issues" are going on in the book.

Also, not that I have anything against praying but I noticed
Myka Cervania
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Myka by: My bestfriend, Julla
Shelves: favorites
I didn't find this book boring at all. The scenes between Luke and Mandy never made me brain-dead. Indeed, I tried to understand each character's sides instead of searching too much for romance between Zach and Mandy. Because in a love story,there couldn't be romance all the time in a page. The author also talks about the other characters and at the same time, keep it moving. And I don't agree that nothing romantic happened between the hero and the heroine not until page 366. Romance isn't just ...more
Kim
My least favorite Anderson book. I'm really disappointed because I ususally love her books and had high expectations. It was wonderfully written but it was a very slow start to the romance which finally started around page 126. However, I did learn a lot about mini horses and colic, unfortunately I learned more than was necessary for me to support the issues which I'm sure is what Anderson was trying to push. I wish she would have spent more time with the romance and less time on the horse.
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Wow even with this being the slowest burn Romance I've read in a very long time, I still enjoyed every single page. Mrs. Anderson is by far a truly poetic, passionate and mesmerizing author. To create stories that surpass just the same old love connection and adding in family, faith, friendship and then after that.. Suspense, life's struggles and successes. Well it gives me a perfect type of balance. I learned so much about mini guide horses and what happened with the ruling against them breaks ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

It all started for me when I was poking around the other day on Catherine Anderson’s website and stumbled across the excerpt for this story (which can be found here for those interested). I had never heard of such a thing as “miniature guide horses”, and so after reading the excerpt, and performing a bit of Googlefu on the subject, I knew I had to read this one.

n the end, I enjoyed this novel, but wasn’t completely blo
Sue
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, rcftci
This book started out strong, I was hooked as soon as the mini-guide horse was introduced the idea was so out of my realm of existence. Never heard of them, had to Google.

Blind younger brother and emotionally scared older sister cope as best they can with their disabilities when Mandy spots a news report on Zach Harrigan's mini-guide horse training.

They have their meet-cute and overcome Luke's (blind brothers) obstinacy and insecurities and form a bond that turns into more.

The fact of being a Ca
Paraphrodite
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017
3 stars.

Again, this one started strong, with another abused heroine in Mandy. This time, the abuser was her father rather than a husband.

I think I would have enjoyed the book more if it concentrated on the development of the cute miniature guide horse Rosebud. Instead, I found myself first disliking Luke (the blind brother) and then Mandy with her idiotic stance on marriage.

Another ok read that felt draggy from about midway.
Beverly Hunter
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nls-bard
Very good!
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

A truly heartwarming story of a handsome horse trainer,his mini - Rosebud - and the sister who wants Rosebud for a service animal for her younger blind brother, Luke. In the Fall of 2009, the current DOJ stripped miniature horses from the list of service animals under the protection of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Shame on them!!! What happens to those disabled individuals who are afraid of dogs. A mini horse is about the same size of a German Shepard, so why are the little hors
Bookaholics
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Here to Stay by Catherine Anderson
Contemporary Romance – Jan 25th, 2011
4 stars

Mandy Pajeck will do anything for her younger brother, who lost his vision because of her. Blind and bitter, Luke continually punishes Mandy by making her do everything for him, including dressing him, feeding him, and fetching things. As a result, Mandy puts her own life on hold to take care of Luke. When Mandy suggests getting Luke a guide dog so that Luke can go to college and learn to take care of himself, Luke ref
Maria
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Ms Anderson always gets into the deeper topics of life. This book is no exception. It has a blind young man who is afraid of dogs, an abused child who has grown into a beautiful young woman, an abused horse - what more could you ask for? Yet there is more, mention of which might ruin the story for some. The book is richly endowed with matter to think about, not least of which is the future of guide mini's. I looked them up on the internet to see what a miniature horse looks like. They are no mor ...more
Brenda
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I have yet to read a book by Catherine Anderson that I haven't liked. This one had a story within a story. Catherine Anderson always adds an element to her stories that is beyond the expected. In this story, there is a young man who was blind, and absolutely couldn't tolerate a leader dog as he was so afraid of dogs! In this book one of the Harrigans is training a mini horse to be a leader animal, and it turns out that this particular animal is perfect for the young man and th ...more
Marleen
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
It’s been awhile since I’ve read something by Catherine Anderson, and I’ve come to the conclusion that my personal taste and preference has veered away from authors like her. For me, this type of romance novel has become quite generic and boring. It’s astonishing really how one’s perception & taste can change. I used to enjoy this author when I was younger. I still have some other unread books by her in my personal library. Still, I’m making a note to myself, not to look into anything new by ...more
Marina
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Was hooked during the first chapter.This is a master I thought.Loved the horse breeding aspect of the story.I even shed some tears.Really need to read this series from the beginning instead of skipping around.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: Oregon
Miranda "Mandy" Pajeck(older sis,28yo,ex-medical transcriptionist,new flower nursery operator)+ Zachary Harrigan("Zach,"31yo,youngest bro,horse ranch owner &
Vanessa
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this book had an interesting plot. People have told me that the category of the story is romance, which Im not a very big fan of. but i didn't think so because mostly the plot is focused on Mandy and Zach's relationship as siblings and their relationship with each other. Mandy and Luke had a tough childhood so Mandy took custody of Luke and took care of him over the years and Luke became independent and he relies on his sister on every little thing. I did not like him for that but as i w ...more
Nicole
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Catherine Anderson used to be one of my go-to authors, but lately it seems like with each new book released, the amount of romance actually in it gets smaller and smaller and smaller. The romance between Zach and Mandy is almost non-existent. Nothing even actually happens between them until the last quarter of the book and then it's rushed, rushed, rushed. This book was a family drama pure and simple and, in all honesty, the characters, Luke especially, weren't likable enough to make it a good o ...more
Chazspiers
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Chazspiers by: No One I Just Love Catherine Anderson's Books
I liked this story the people in the book where great and there was so much on being blind how it feels liked and the different between being blind and being seeing and how to go about getting help so much on miniature horses and about how someone feels looking after someone who is blind and about fathers how hurt there kids and how someone can get help and about how it feels with no mum or dad and with a missing mother who has left home and with a father who has killed and also how to deal with ...more
Trang Nguyen
Finally!! I friggin finished this book! I just couldn't get into this book, the characters, and the story just wasn't enough to keep me reading. I found myself constantly putting the book down and then picking it back up, only to read a couple of pages before I put it down again.

I found the story to be predictable and unfortunately too similar to Anderson's 9 books that are in this series. I don't think I will continue with her series unless the next book is highly recommended. :(

Robin Lynn
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bought this book because it was ...duh...Catherine Anderson. When I started reading it, I just fell into the story. I don't think I stopped reading it...just sat there on the couch and read until I my eyes wouldn't stay open.

The Horse, The boy, and the trainer...oh my, how many times can a person's heart get stolen?!?! The transformation for Luke was very poignant, and extremely believable. There were a lot of tears shed over this book.
Kendra
This was another great book in the Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan series. While there were times when you were incredibly frustrated with the helpless brother and (at times) stubborn heroine it was a good read. The plot moved along nicely and while there was a surprise involved that was fairly obvious it was an interesting twist and well written. Definitely recommend.
Karen
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was just a wonderful story and I had never heard of miniature guide horses. We all need to do what we can to allow them to train these special animals. It seems that congress passed a law forbidding their use in this capacity. What a huge difference they can make for someone who is blind and cannot have dogs, whatever the reason.
Amber
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OMG- I loved this book! It was a random pick-up from the library and I enjoyed it from the beginning. Of course I try to predict what happens to each character, got a few wrong, and was still surprised with everything else that came into play.
Crime, romance, friendship, animal bonding, this book has it all.
Janet Horton
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
She is a great writer and have thoroughly enjoyed all her books to date. There is mystery, romance, historical reference, and adventure. What more could you ask for? I love the whole family series. I just wish I could read them in sequence. Oh Well. I just wish I could ready them all in sequence. Oh well.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The tenth book in Catherine Anderson's Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan series. This one dealt with using minature ponies as seeing eye animals for the blind. Not one of her best but still worth reading. Interesting subject matter.
Kimberly
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
She is one of my favorite authors but this book was so annoying at times and the romance was almost nonexistent. Hopefully her next will be better.
Keri
Light sweet read with some serious messages. It took Zach and Mandy to grow on me, but eventually the did and I was able to enjoy the ride.
Yoggita Rathakrishnan
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5**
  • Creed's Honor (Montana Creeds, #6)
  • The Cowboy Takes a Bride (Jubilee, Texas, #1)
  • The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1)
  • Angel's Rest (Eternity Springs, #1)
  • Completely Smitten \ Hers for the Weekend
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • You've Got Male (OPUS #1)
  • Discovering Dani  (Jamesville, #1)
  • Expecting Royal Twins!
  • Harvest Moon (Virgin River, #13)
  • Ride (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #4)
(1)romance author:
Adeline Catherine was born and raised in Grants Pass, Oregon, USA. She always yearned to be a writer like her mother. The morning that one of her professors asked if she could use samples of Catherine’s creative writing on an overhead projector to teach was

Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Baby Love (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #1)
  • Phantom Waltz (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #2)
  • Sweet Nothings (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #3)
  • Blue Skies (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #4)
  • Bright Eyes (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #5)
  • My Sunshine (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #6)
  • Sun Kissed (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #7)
  • Morning Light (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan #8)
  • Star Bright (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #9)
  • Perfect Timing (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #11)