Start by marking “Maisy Takes a Bath” as Want to Read:
Maisy Takes a Bath

Maisy Takes a Bath

(Maisy)

In this brand-new adventure familiar to children who watch Maisy on Nick Jr., Maisy and her friends act out the lively adventures young children have—or dream of having—every day. In MAISY TAKES A BATH, Tallulah doesn't want Maisy to take a bubble bath just now. She wants her to come out and play instead. What will Maisy's friend do next? Here's another very good reason to ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Candlewick Press (first published April 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Maisy Takes a Bath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maisy Takes a Bath

Start your review of Maisy Takes a Bath
Joey Alison Sayers
Oct 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Generally I don't review, or even mention, picture books on Goodreads because, as the mother of a toddler, I read about forty-five of them a day. However, this book was so bizarre and upsetting, I wanted to share my thoughts.

The world of Maisy is odd to begin with. They are kids, presumably, but there are no adults. And they gallivant around the city and the carnival unattended and (one can hope) completely safe. So, like many kids' books, there is definitely a level of disbelief-suspension
Books Ring Mah Bell
Jul 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidsbooks
I learned Lucy Cousins is a pervert with a fetish for lesbian interspecies erotic water fun.

In this tale we find Maisy mouse, trying to take a bath. Maisy is interrupted twice by her friend Tallulah - some sort of bird. Tallulah runs upstairs and takes off her clothes and plays in the tub with Maisy.

mmmm hmmm.
This is not wholesome reading. No sir.
Robin
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Tallulah totally creeps me out in this one. Chicken cannot take a hint to save her life, then she walks right into Maisy's house, takes off her clothes, and gets in Maisy's bathtub without even asking? WTF?
Damera Blincoe
Let’s just say that I was deeply disappointed with this book. There should always be some boundaries. Maisy tells her friend Tallulah that she is taking a bath and can’t play at that time, to which the friend decides that it’s okay to push past her at the door, walk up the stairs, get naked and jump in the tub with her. Since when did this become okay?
jacky
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
A simple book about bath time. Maisy is interrupted by her friend, who eventually joins her in the bath. Its not that special of a book overall, but just right for toddlers who love their bath time.
Edniger Vences-Garcia-Gracias
i am a fan of Maisy the mouse as much as the next guy, i am a huge(like me) fan of maisy the mouse and i know that all her books have diferent meanings. Although this book spoke a bit differently to my tubby tummy.
A beaner such as my self knows bath time is fun, friendly, and frisky. maisy gets a bit TOO frisky in this book.
Maisy just wants to take a nice bath all to her self if u know what i mean ;^) when all of a sudden her bitch tina comes knockin on her door.
now tina is a whore.... this
Jj
Very weird. Like everyone has already said, this involves a rude and overaggressive friend (Tallulah) with serious boundary issues who comes to Maisy's house. She wants to play tennis RIGHT NOW, and before you can blink she is barging into Maisy's house, disrobing entirely except for her hairbow, and jumping into the bathtub. Then Maisy jumps in, too. The end.

Huh?

I kept thinking I must have missed some pages when I read this. Then I flipped back and forth... and saw that it's just a bizarre and
Super simple book that went over well with 2-year olds. The parents and I laughed about the idea of a friend just coming in, taking off their clothes and joining someone in the tub. I see that a lot of reviewers here were really disturbed by that. I think it just needs to be discussed - is that something we would really do??? No! It is just a funny thing that happens in this book. When I read this book to myself it seemed weird that Maisy is always called Maisy (not by a pronoun) but when ...more
Christina
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Both of my children have loved this book. Even more so than others in the Maisy series. I think it is the applicability to their lives. My one year old daughter delights in the stairs in the illustrations. She is used to taking off her clothes and taking baths. My husband and I have instituted a family joke about the neighbor at the door. I think this is one of those books we will remember for many years.
Kerry Casey
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, aside from Maisy referring to herself in the 3rd person- I'm not too fond of the message of this book. Her friend gets told to come back later....comes back a minute later, lets herself in, takes off her clothes and gets in Maisy's bath with her? and that's all happy normal behaviour. ? Ah, no. This book is not okay. Collecting these for my niece and I don't feel great about sending this one. :(
Leigh
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Same format and illustrations that my boy really likes. I bought this one at a thrift store for a quarter. Couldn't pass up adding it to our collection for so cheap especially since these older books aren't readily available in new stores anymore. Admittedly the story gets a little uncomfortable.
Kari Burke
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
What is going on with this crazy book? It is quite inappropriate and disturbing to think that it is okay to bust into your friend's house and hop into her bath with her- seriously this is just wrong on so many levels....
Av
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Tallulah needs to learn about consent man
Hiba Yuki
This book just comes across as creepy.
Emily Prior
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter loves Maisy. I think partly because we borrowed some Maisy lift-the-flap books when she was younger and now she has these cool associations with her. I also think that the bold design of the illustrations appeals to her toddler brain.

But, I really struggle to enjoy the text in these books now. I know it's supposed to be simple and bold, like the illustrations. Yet it doesn't work for me. It feels too babyish. And unnatural, stunted.

Also, I thought that Tallulah just stripping down
erin
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
Maisy is trying to take a bath and keeps getting interrupted by her friend Tallulah. When she answers the door she says "Hello Tallulah. Maisy can't play right now. It's her bathtime." Tallulah interrupts again and then takes charge and jumps in the bath with Maisy.

Is talking in the third person a learning technique for the very young? This book was strange to me. I really don't get the talking in the third person thing. My two-year-old niece does it all the time, but I'm not sure it should be
Robert Beveridge
Lucy Cousins, Maisy Takes a Bath (Candlewick Press, 2000)

I've always found the Maisy books to be a little odd, and this one is possibly the oddest of the bunch. Tennis-playing Tallulah wants Maisy to come play, but Maisy's taking a bath, so... hey! Let's hop right on in with her! Umm... all right. Creeptastic! I'm thinking this one may quietly find its way to Half Price Books in the near future. *
Rebecca Snodgrass
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: animals, picture-book
This book was just plain dumb. It might be good for a young child's library, but the pictures were kind of boring and the story had no real plot at all. I would never read this book to my class ever. Why is it okay for Maisy to be alone and take a bath with someone all by herself. It's just weird!!!
Miss Sarah
I was really liking this story of maisy getting ready to take a bath until her friend Tallulah comes to visit a second time and upon hearing maisy is still in the bath promptly runs up the stairs takes off her clothes and joins her. I just found this a little strange but if your a maisy fan you'll probably like.
Denise Johnson
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: toddler-booklist
I felt a little uncomfortable with this book. Shouldn't her friend ask if she can have a bath too? It seemed a bit intrusive and I don't like the message that it is ok to have baths with friends, getting into creepy territory.
Zach
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
a good read
Paula
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
When Tallulah comes to visit twice at bathtime she finally decides to join Maisy in the bath to play. -
Ally McCulloch
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Kind of an okay book. Not sure why Maisy's duck friend is coming over while she is taking a bath, but....whatever.
Kristie
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: vocabulary
Children will recognize these familiar steps in taking a bath.
Danica Midlil
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love Maisy!
George
Jan 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the age where we are teaching our children boundaries and manners....and this book goes counter to that.
Kate B
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
All of these Maisy books are perfect for pre-schoolers. Bright colours and simple stories about things that very young children are familiar with.
ABC
May 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: younger-kids
Maisy is preparing for a bath. Tallulah keeps ringing the doorbell because she wants to play. Finally, Tallulah waltzes in, strips and joins Maisy in the bath. Uh...okay.
elle and esme

• Rosie Revere, Engineer
  • Bears on Wheels
  • Ada Twist, Scientist
  • Peppa Pig: Peppa Pig's Family Computer
  • Peppa's First Sleepover (Peppa Pig)
  • Guinea Pig Party
  • Barnyard Dance
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Llama Llama I Love You
  • Can a Cat Do That?
  • Roaring Rockets
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Daddy and Me
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Strawberries Are Red
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ...more

Maisy (1 - 10 of 140 books)
  • Maisy Goes to the Library
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Maisy Big, Maisy Small
  • Doctor Maisy
  • Maisy Drives the Bus
  • Maisy's Pool
  • Maisy Goes Camping: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Maisy Cleans Up
  • Maisy's Rainbow Dream (Maisy)
  • Maisy Makes Gingerbread