Start by marking “Last Chance Saloon” as Want to Read:
Last Chance Saloon

Last Chance Saloon

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  34,627 Ratings  ·  762 Reviews
Critics and readers fell madly in love with Keyes' funny and moving tale of three friends who make a pact to improve their lives. Friends since the days when leg warmers were cool, Tara, Katherine, and Fintan have graduated to their slightly more serious thirties.
595 pages
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Saloon, please sign up.

Cyssah Olyver At first I thought it was boring, and it seems to happen everytime I read one of Marian Keyes' books, but her stories always surprise me. They are…moreAt first I thought it was boring, and it seems to happen everytime I read one of Marian Keyes' books, but her stories always surprise me. They are always hilarious! (less)

Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2015
I cannot understand how this book is getting such rave reviews. I could barely finish it, I wanted to pull my hair out with boredom!

The characters were so silly and stupid that you just want to smack them in the head, especially Tara. Give me a break woman, how is it that you accept living with a man who dotes on his cat while spewing verbal abuses at you in the same second? Ridiculous.

And really, Marian Keyes, all the unnecessary detail...you're killing me. I was skimming through passage afte
Karo
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, british
I've read all of Marian Keyes' novels now, and I have to say that this might be her best yet. Watermelon was great, Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married a bit disappointing, Rachel's Holiday mildly depressing and frustrating, but Last Chance Saloon had me hooked. I very much enjoyed the cast of characters, each very well sketched out. The book really is a clever look at how easily one can become complacent, how easy it is to settle or simply float through life. The novel was a perfect mix of having ...more
Christine Tsui
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite Marian Keyes book. The characters are funny and flawed but in an all too familiar way. I can see myself and people I know in each of the main characters.

I've read this book many times over the years and I can happily pick this book up and start from a page chosen at random. The storyline is really engaging and I've laughed and cried reading this book.

I think this was one of the first chick-lit books I read but I feel it's more than that. It's about the sometimes complicated
Arielle Walker
No, this is not great literature. It isn't perfect, it may not even the one of the best Marian Keyes books. What it is is funny, gentle, sweet and relatively calm - exactly what I've been needing to read.

In typical Keyes fashion, the characters are all terrible flawed and all the more likeable for it. I really think Katherine is not up there with my favourite Keyes characters, as is the lovely Fintan (which makes the usual heartbreaking plot-line of the book even more heartbreaking). (view spoi
Holly
Jul 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I am so happy that I'm finished with this book!! I love Marian Keyes but this book left me with an agonizing desire to throw it across the room! But I was determined to finish it no matter what. I just couldn't get into this story. Perhaps, it was just too long and therefore, became quite boring. Or perhaps, it was because I couldn't seem to like the characters, with the possible exception of Tara. It had a good premise...live life to the fullest. I liked that, so that's something positive. Some ...more
Obsidian
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Last Chance Saloon continues to speak to me and it has been almost six years since I have read it for the first time. I don't know why I re-read this constantly. Maybe it's because I keep thinking that the ending of the book will unexpectedly change. I fell in love with the main characters in this book and really just wanted them to have nothing but good things.

Even though this book is supposed to be about three best friends since child/teenage years Tara, Fintan, and Katherine. Most of the book
Faith
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005
V Family Books
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another Marian Keyes book that I liked the sound of and was looking forward to reading.

Straight away I got a sense of fun from the main characters, they had a great friendship and were comfortable and relaxed in each others company. Tara had a bit of a problem with food and I could totally relate to that! Any parts that mentioned her hunger either had me nodding my head because it’s something I do, or laughing out loud at how hilariously she behaves when she’s hungry. Seeing everyday ob
Barbara Elsborg
Another story for me where I couldn't connect with the characters. Keyes is very skilful at drawing pictures of relationships and I did feel the friendship of these people but I didn't care enough about them. Even the guy I should really have felt sorry for was so obnoxious at times that I wanted to slap him. Tara - also needed a slap. But maybe that's showing what a good job the novelist did. If she makes you see you don't have to put up with that sort of behaviour from a guy, then she's done s ...more
Poise
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So I got this book and many others as a gift from my supervisor at work, for performing greatly, 'call me lucky!' lol. Of all the seven novels she gave me, this was my first read and I was blown away by it intense humor, yet very deep and emotional. I love all the characters and I remember thinking about the book while driving to work and burst out laughing. I enjoyed every bit of it, my very first Marian Keyes book, and now I can't wait to read her other novels. Such a fun read! :)
Dark-Draco
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I have to say that I found this hard going to start with - in fact, a couple of false starts and almost a week had elapsed before I really started reading it. And the main reason for this is that I really didn't like Fenton, Tara, Liv and Katherine. We first meet them in a restaurant, where they come across as being fashion-obsessed, neurotic, unhappy people in a London setting that has no real appeal to me at all!

However, knowing how much I've enjoyed this author before, I decided to give it an
Ariadna RB
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marian es maravillosa.
LMG
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, full of every emotion and humorous moments you could want.
First book I've ever read by Marian Keyes and now, I'm simply hooked.
Ferina
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Buku ini bercerita tentang persahabatan. Dan menurut aku, buku ini bagus, karena gak hanya sekedar haha-hihi and talking about sex, tapi juga tentang sebuah sahabat yang selalu ada dalam saat senang dan sedih.

Para tokoh ini buku ini ada Tara, Katherine, Liv dan Fintan. Tara, Katherine dan Fintan berasal dari kota yang sama di Irlandia. Kemudian Liv masuk ke dalam kehidupan mereka ketika jadi teman seapartemen Katherine dan Tara di London.

Cerita dimulai dengan pesta ulang tahun Tara yang ke 31, d
♥ Marlene♥
And another Marian Keyes book I read but not registered.

On Thursday, July 28, 2005 I wrote on bookcrossing.com

8 out of 10
Hi Lauraloo
This book was so hard for me to get into.
Didn't know why. maybe because it is huge and I have set a goal, to read 100 books in 1 year?
anyway I had tried to read it twice. Both times I'd read 10 pages and then I received another book and stopped reading this one.

Well third time lucky. Again it was hard.I think because the main persons annoyed me, and did not have an
Antof9
Book review from BookCrossing: I'm a disaster at remembering to write journal entries while I can still remember the book! Sheesh! And the only reason I'm going to write a journal entry on this one is because it's getting in a box with some magazines to go to an American in Japan.

Back to the journal entry on this book -- I have several spots marked, so let's see if I can remember what I marked!

I don't know why I marked page 70, but I hated Thomas from the beginning. The conversation on this page
Michele Minor
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tara, Fintan and Katherine have been good friends for a long time ever since they were teenagers in Ireland. The three of them now live in London with only Fintan who has what could be called a love life. Tara is staying with her verbally abusive, penny-pinching boyfriend because she feels that he is the last chance that he has for marriage and children. Katherine who was heart broken from a past relationship keeps her single life organized and is happy being single. Fintan is in a long term ser ...more
Marie
Critique complète sur mon blog

Tara, Katherine et Fintan sont copains depuis des années. Ils ont quitté ensemble l’Irlande et leurs familles respectives pour venir s’installer à Londres et vivre à fond leur vie de trentenaires. Alors que Tara la romantique s’enfonce dans une relation vouée à l’échec avec l’affreux Thomas, Katherine l’éternelle célibataire envoie balader tous les prétendants potentiels. Mais tous ces soucis leur semblent soudain bien triviaux, quand elles apprennent que Fintan e
Amanda
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is all about making the most of your time and not wasting your life. Tara is so afraid of being alone and Katherine can't get over her past, and both have to be forced into making a change in their life so they can find happiness. I liked the contrast of the stability of Fintan and Sandro's relationship, though I thought it was heartbreaking that Sandro had to go through all he did for a second time. No one should have to do that more than once. I found it interesting the way Lorcan's ...more
Kat A
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read, the more I love. Excellent! As engaging as Sushi for Beginners this is another ensemble story about three best friends and their lives and loves. I literally could not put it down. I just wanted to know what happened! I really liked the characters of Tara and Katherine, and their back stories and that although everyone didn't end up happily ever after, the potential to be happy was there. I'm on to another Walsh book, the last because she hasn't written one about Helen yet. Look ...more
Kemn2412
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my personal favourite from Keyes. One that I return to often when I'm lacking any new material to wet my appetite. Its got a few little twists and turns as all Keyes books do. I found the characters so likeable, though I do wish that Fintan was developed a little more, his story line was probably the weakest for me of the three. Still its a good laugh, a little teary if you are having a particularly weak day and a little saucy. All in all a pleasant read over and over again.
Lainy
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book! I Read it in almost one sitting and stayed up to finish it. The characters you could relate to or connect to even if and when you didn't particularly like them.

The book follows the life of 3 friends and jumps back and forward every now and again from the present to events that shaped who they are today.

Funny, sad and even cringe worthy at some points but a total fantastic light read, I loved it 5/5 for me.
Samantha
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book was terrific! it was funny and full of humanity. The main character is supper cool, and she has a great circle of friends, except it is also a bit sad as one of her friends is terminally ill. Anyway, its a beautifully written book that will keep you glued to each page. It's one of the best books I've read.
Debbie
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was frustrating at times - wanted to shake Lucy and say "he's no good for you - he's just like your father!" But then obviously the book would have ended 200 pages earlier - and I suppose we all have to make our own mistakes. Funny as only Marian Keyes can be though - not the obvious funny - but the sarcastic-to-the-hilt funny.
Becky
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Katy
This book was definitely a page-turner. It's chick-lit, but it's about Irish people living in London, so I wasn't embarrassed to read it in public. I loved the character of Tara, who is a bit like an Irish Bridget Jones. I think we can all relate to her. Thanks, Katy!
Mayu
Jul 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Este ha sido el único libro que he leído de Marian Keyes, y aunque no fue una lectura tan mala, no voy a repetir. No sentí nada mientras leía esta novela, y el chick lit me parece un género de lo más frustrante.
Ruth
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, novels
It look me a while to warm up to the main characters and I thought the bad apples were a little one dimensional. But this was still an enjoyable read with the Marian Keyes trademarks. I really wasn't ready for it to end!
Gillian
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny but emotional too loved it
Nícky
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy divertido y, aunque no me gustan los libros con varias historias paralelas, la verdad es que me ha gustado mucho
Amanda Patterson
Not her best. I found it tedious.
  • Far From Over
  • Between Males
  • Milkrun
  • Irish Girls about Town
  • Always the Bridesmaid
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more
More about Marian Keyes...
“Love is blind, there was no doubt about it. In Tara's case it was also deaf, dumb, dyslexic, had a bad hip and the beginnings of Alzheimer's” 58 likes
“Show me a person who doesn't have a past and I'll show you a boring bastard” 40 likes