Start by marking “My Secret Life” as Want to Read:
My Secret Life

My Secret Life

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Would you undress with the curtains open? A champagne drinking Victorian traveller, Walter is lascivious, obnoxious and possessed of an insatiable sexual appetite. Through a bawdy catalogue of indecent scenarios with maids, widows, and wenches - he solicits an indulgent exploration of the flesh. His obsessions, fantasies and voyeuristic tendencies are explored and revealed ...more
Trade Paperback, 737 pages
Published November 1994 by Arrow Books (part of Random House UK) (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about My Secret Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Secret Life

Петър Стойков
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Тайният ми живот" са мемоарите на анонимен и до днес английски аристократ от Викторианската епоха (втората половина на 19 в.) които представляват главно простодушно описание на неговите безбройни сексуални похождения, стартиращи от ранно юношество и включващи слугини, селянки, братовчедки, жрици на спазарената нежност ;) и всякакви други случайни жени и изключващи съпругата му.

Остарелият английски е лесен за четене като налучкаш значението на няколкото думи които са различни, още повече че какт
Emily
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
very interesting and original, except it got SO repetitive after I got maybe halfway through!!
Emma Maguire
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
fascinating, historically, but also discomforting.
Vincento
May 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
M-am apucat de aceasta carte deoarece a aparut ca referinta intr-o carte ce se ocupa de ucigasii in serie. Acolo se spunea ca acest gen de oameni de regula sunt frustrati sau molestati sexual inca din copilarie. Acesta ar fi unul dintre motivele pentru care in ziua de azi, cazurile de ucigasi in serie sunt intalnite destul de des. Apoi a trasat o paralela cu epoca victoriana (de unde provine si actiunea cartii) in care violurile/crimele sexuale erau ceva foarte rar intalnit, desi victorienii era ...more
S.A.A. Calvert
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I would not rate this as erotica, which is not my thing at all. What I found in it was a period piece, a snapshot of a particular time and place. In particular, the shameless hypocrisy of the Victorian age.
This is a record of a series of encounters in which a hypersexed man has sex with a large number of women and girls. It takes place at a time when 'virtue' and virginity allegedly ruled, and it is clear from the narrative that the reality was very, very different.

There is one scene that encaps
Doucha Bouhalla
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
this book is not like other erotic novels and this is what i liked about it.. it does not describe sex in order to arouse or excite the reader but to describe the sexual realities of the time.. therfore the characters are not all perfect with perfect charms nor do they all have orgasms at the very exact time.. the wrieter even adds some details about himself which does not give him credit momentary impotence, doubts about his size and "funking" after some of his conquests
however these conquests
Erika
Wordy, like most old novels, and not really erotic for me. The last part of the book was better than the first, but then it just ends, which was annoying, but to be expected from the introduction I guess, because the character had recorded up until a point and then hid it in shame.
Myotherside
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First dirty book I read back in 7th grade. Coming from that incomplete background it certainly opened my mind to many, many new ideas.

This book is a complete classic. The pacing is very slow. Walter is indeed a man of the world for the times.
Heidi
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Very explicit recollection of childhood sexual abuse (though that's not what he thought it was) and subsequent sexual dalliances (including rape) as he grew older.
Kerki Marc
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotiek
Hoogtepunt van de Victoriaanse erotiek.
Kerki Marc
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotiek
Hoogtepunt van de Victoriaanse erotiek.
Jord
Oct 05, 2015
Jhenning2
Nov 11, 2012
Andrea Zuvich
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2011