Start by marking “Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)

Sworn to Protect

(Call of Duty #2)

Border Patrol Agent Danika Morales has sworn to protect the southern borders of our nation, but that oath has cost her. Two years ago, her husband, Toby, was killed trying to help the very immigrants Danika was responsible for sending back to Mexico. His murder was never solved. But now, a recent string of attacks and arrests leads her to believe that someone in McAllen is ...more
Published May 12th 2010 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sworn to Protect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sworn to Protect

Sandy Duke
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was tough for me to read and tough to rate. I live in a small town with an ag-based economy that relies on immigrants (legal and undocumented) to get the job done and put food on America's tables. Strong feelings about immigration abound.

Sworn to Protect forced me to look at immigration from the perspective of Border Patrol agents who are sworn to protect our borders. I realize that not all BP agents are as compassionate as most portrayed in this novel, but I am sure that many do stru
Hannah
4.25
I really liked Danika and cared quickly what was going to happen to her. In typical Mills style, we find out pretty quickly who the villain is but have to work to discover the villain's henchmen, and nobody is safe. The Border Patrol aspect was an interesting twist and lent a bit of novelty to the romantic-action plot.
Larik
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing captivating writing!!! Had me so deep in the story that I just couldnt wait till morning to finish it.
All characters were developed well. Danika was a perfection of strength and honesty!! I felt really bad about Sandra. Alex a picture of compassion and patience kept me wishing for more parts with him. I absolutelly loved his mom and I hope in the future I will treat my son same way, instead of rallying for him like a mother hen. Amazing woman!!
Jacob is probably the character I felt for
Renee
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary suspense fiction isn't something I go out of my way to read but I really loved DiAnn Mills' Texas Legacy series so I decided to give her latest release, Sworn to Protect a try and I am so glad I did! Not only was it full of suspense and a hint of romance, it covered a totally new aspect that I have never read about in romance, the United States Border Patrol. I loved that I learned what it takes to be a BP agent and DiAnn Mills made me want to dig deeper to learn what the "real" peo ...more
Mary
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, even though you knew fairly early on, who was the "bad guy". I enjoyed learning more about the Border Patrol.
Debbie
"Sworn to Protect" is a Christian romantic suspense novel. It's the second in a series, but it works as a stand alone novel.

As usual, the main characters were complex, interesting people. I cared about what happened to them. The Border Patrol and immigration issues were woven into the story. The suspense came from the danger on the job, a missing girl, and a death threat on Danika. The author didn't try very hard to hide from the reader who the "bad guys" were, so it was a little frustrating tha
Chuck
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not familiar with author DiAnn Mills when I picked up this book. I have been missing out! This is the second in a series, but stands well on its own. Well-paced and hard to put down, this book offers suspense, a great lead character, romance, action and a great story about the Texas Border Patrol.

Although the topic is all over the news and generates strong feelings, this book takes an even approach and does not preach. I also enjoyed the fact that this is a book strong on Christian faith a
Kendall L. Mann
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Immigration issues wound around a trail of murder and love.

If you didn't already know the immigrant issues are complicated, and even more unfettered than you can imagine, read on.
Mills does a good job of tugging your heart to both sides of the issues.
Daniela and Alex struggle with torn feelings and where truth and confidentiality walk a fine line.
We would like to believe bad guys like Lucy are brought down on a regular basis, but what we can be sure of is that our border patrol agents out their
Rhonda Miller
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!
I couldnt put this book down, Im new to DiAnn Mills work and I think I started with the best one!
With all the scuttlebut in the news about borders and illegals this story touched me in so many ways. The characters were ..some endearing some simply unbelievable LOL It gave me a new and diffeerent insight on just how hard life is for those who are out there everyday!
Keep on writing and I will keep on the edge of my seat!
Sherri
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thought provoking book

Sworn to Protect tells the story of a Border Patrol Agent who was widowed when her husband was murdered. His murder has never been solved and weighs heavily on her. When she meets a doctor who wants to start a relationship with her, she’s hesitant to date him. The book does a good job showing the complexities of the immigration issues and the people involved on all sides.
Patrick Cox
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished another great story written by DiAnn Mills. This book gives you a look at the life of a Border Patrol Officer and all they deal with. The story kept me interested all the way through. I kept wanting to skip the end and the story does drag on in some parts and then boom it's over.

Romance, Action, Violence, caring, compassion, grace are part of this story.
Abbie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DiAnn Mills' writing covers the bases and then some... romance, suspense, great characters. It's the 'some more' that has me interested, she touches on topics in the headlines, bringing them into the story in a way that left me thinking about the people behind the news. Kudos DiAnn, looking forward to reading more in the future.
Kathy Mizell
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Border Patrol Agent

I loved the audience of this book. It kept me in the edge of my seat, wondering could Danika's husband been man of mystery could his brother also be in the wrong side of the Border Control? Would Danika give Dr. Alex Price the chance to explain how he knew her late husband. So many questions.
Nicole
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago, but it left a distinct impression on me. It was an eye opening look into the life of the brave men and women who protect our borders. I liked the quotes at the beginning of each chapter that address the issues of immigration.
Adrianne Haugen
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sworn To Protect
I enjoyed these stories. I would like to see a little more hook and twist. But still a good read.
TheModestMillennial
Good read that will make you think about how our faith impacts how we view the laws of our nation.
Crystal
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DiAnn Mills really scored a home run (hey it's baseball season now) with Sworn to Protect. It has a strong female protagonist, a blurred social/humanitarian issue and a male to counteract and balance the female lead. As for issues, it doesn't get much more blurred than immigration. I love how this book shows both sides - the reason there are laws (drug dealers and other assorted problems) and the humanitarian side - Mexicans just wanting a new life and wanting to escape their own suffocating cou ...more
Melissa
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great perspectives on the Immigration issue and a fabulous suspenseful read!
Nichole
Outstanding!

I have only read a little bit about the problems with illegal immigrants. In this area, I freely admit to naïveté. I grew up to respect peoples of all nationalities, but the older I get, the more I realize that i am not being truthful to myself or my faith. I know God created all humans and loves each of us no matter our race or skin color. In thinking about the difficulties of uphold American laws and being faithful and true to God, well I don't have an answer. The government could
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McAllen, TX. Border Patrol Officer Danika Morales, the only female agent in the BP, took the oath to protect our borders at the Rio Grande River. Little did she know it would come with a great personal price–the death of her husband, Toby, leaving her to single parent her deaf daughter, Tiana.

Two years later, she has no intentions of leaving the Border Patrol, and is ever more vigilant in her job, so that she can also help solve her husband’s death, even though there is a price on her head.

She d
Katie
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t really sure as to how many stars to give it…I mean, I liked the story, but it wasn’t a suspenseful book (You know who the bad people are early on in the book) and I was disappointed in the romantic part of the story. DiAnn’s first book in the “Call of Duty” series, Breach of Trust, was more thrilling, in my opinion. But this book was a good read.

As I mentioned, there wasn’t a lot of suspense in this book (Unlike Breach of Trust, which kept you guessing who the bad guy was till the last
Tamara Tilley
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SWORN TO PROTECT is the second book in the Call of Duty Series by DiAnn Mills and it does not disappoint. Danika Morales is a border patrol agent who puts her life on the line everyday she shows up for duty. Still trying to comprehend the murder and betrayal of her husband two years prior, Danika’s life revolves around her young daughter and the job she’s devoted to. When her life is threatened and her husband’s family is attacked, she is convinced more than ever that her husband’s death was not ...more
Cindy
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danika Morales is a hard working Border Patrol Agent. An agent so conscious of keeping her daughter safe, that she takes her uniform to work to dress, so her neighbors won't realize what her line of work is. Of course Danika has reason to be concerned about safety, her husband was murdered two years earlier and his murderer has never been caught. That plus the threats that she has received. It seems every illegal immigrant she catches has a message for her about a contract that has been put out ...more
Virginia
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Border patrol agent Danika Morales still struggles to recover from the death of her husband two years before. Alex, a handsome emergency room doctor, seems like just the person to help her heal move forward with life. But then Danika discovers that a contract has been put out on her life by the people who smuggle undocumented immigrants across the border – the very people who murdered her husband. Though she can hardly believe it, the evidence begins to reveal that the people responsible are ins ...more
Helen
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danika Monales is a Border Patrol Agent working to keep illegal immigrants from entering the United States from Mexico. She is a single mom of a young girl. Her husband, Toby, was murdered while trying to help illegal immigrants and had kept his activities secret.
After Toby's death, his brother feels responsible and he becomes a different person almost tearing his family apart. He is also a Border Patrol Agent and his career ends after he abuses an illegal immigrant.
Agents are under suspect for
Paul Goble
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Border Patrol agent Danika Morales is the target of violent attacks, and everyone around her is in danger. Although this is book 2 in the Call of Duty series, each book in the series can be read without knowledge of the others.

Sworn to Protect is primarily an exploration of some of the issues around illegal immigration. I didn't gain profound new insights, but I did find concrete illustrations of the arguments on several sides of the debate.

What I liked: The characters ask the right questions ab
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
Border Patrol Danika Morales' husband was murdered and it's still unsolved. Nobody knows what happened. It's a closed case. But for Danika, she needs the mystery to be solved.

But as Danika starts getting closer to the truth forces conspire against her to keep her in the dark. She quickly learns that this mystery may be bigger than even she imagined.

Somebody in Border Patrol is leaking top-secret information and Danika and her family are at the top of the list.

She turns to local doctor Alex Price
Judy
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received my copy of "Sworn to Protect" on 5/29/2010.

Thanks to Goodreads First Reads giveaways and Tyndale Fiction.

This book was great. It gives the view from four characters. The main characters are Danika Morales who is a Border Patrol Agent and Dr Alex Price who is a Dr at the local medical center who believes in helping all humans, even the undocumented immigrants.

Secondary characters are Sandra, Danika's nanny and housekeeper. Sandra is not legal but had false papers. She cares for Tiana who
Sandra Lassiter
Ms. Mills creates great cast of characters for a very good story. Danika is a dedicated agent and a great mom to her hearing-impaired daughter. Alex is a dedicated doctor with a true heart for people, especially those who are hurting. I found myself rooting for them through all the difficulties and misunderstandings. The story line was good, but—on the down side—I figured out the “bad guy” VERY early on I hate it when that happens. I did have a problem with the religious side of the book as Ms. ...more
Paula
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great story!

I was so engrossed into the story and mystery it. This is a well written story about a woman, Danika Morales, who works for Border Patrol and sees no wiggle room in immigration laws. Her husband was an immigration activist (behind her back) and was killed while trying to help "illegal's" flee the area. There are women crossing the river/border and being beaten within an inch of thier lives, taken to the local hospital and being treated by the very compasionate Dr. Price (who has take
  • Licensed for Trouble (PJ Sugar, #3)
  • A Killer Among Us (Women of Justice #3)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Guardians of Justice, #2)
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls #1)
  • Protection for Hire (Protection for Hire, #1)
  • Talon: Combat Tracking Team (A Breed Apart, #2)
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Point Blank Protector (Emerald Coast 911 #5)
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She weaves memorable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels. DiAnn believes every breath of life is someone’s story, so why not capture those moments and create a thrilling adventure?

Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awa

Call of Duty (3 books)
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Pursuit Of Justice (Call of Duty, #3)