Start by marking “Cry Wolf (Doucet, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cry Wolf (Doucet, #3)

Cry Wolf

(Doucet #3)

In the rural parishes of Louisiana's French Triangle, young women are disappearing one by one, only to turn up on the banks of the bayou, strangled and cast aside where they are sure to be found. But there is one trophy the killer prizes above all others, one woman who must be silenced forever . . . Attorney Laurel Chandler did not come back to Bayou Breaux to seek justice ...more
Published April 7th 1994 by Orion (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Wolf

Start your review of Cry Wolf (Doucet, #3)
fleurette
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book much more than I thought I would. It may not be a very short book but it’s an easy and fast read. There are some things that bother me (I list them below) but I still enjoyed it a lot.

To my utterly astonishment I quite like the main characters - Laurel and Jack. And I’m surprised because as much as I like tortured characters, Laurel and Jack are not the best example of well-crafted troubled souls. Especially Jack who is a bit inconsistent to me. But somehow I ended up liking th
Mauoijenn
This was an outstanding third book into this series. I enjoyed the story line and how all the characters were coming together. Excellent touch of mystery to it. You got your self a great book if romance with mystery is what you're looking for.
Asghar Abbas
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it

haha, lame, nice try. It did give True Blood, the show not the books, vibe though. That's why I read this in 2008.

Nice cover, but not enough.
Daelith
May 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
Relly
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, b-2018-read
Very good

4.5 ⭐️

This was a great book, and still just as good on the reread
I enjoyed Laurel and Jack to a certain extent as well. Both were troubled characters that were fighting for survival in everyday life.
I felt for Laurel the most as she was stuck in her upbringing and I really enjoyed her casting off those ties at the end. She fought for herself and for her sister. She had a quiet strength that kept her going long after everyone expected her to stop
Jack I also liked but I had a harder time
Aneca
I don’t know if it’s the setting but the truth is that I always find myself completely absorbed with stories set in the Louisiana bayous. And I really wanted to read Hoag again after having enjoyed Dark Paradise so much. So one night this week I picked this one to read before bed time and the truth is that I just couldn’t stop and was kept awake half the night trying to finish it.

Laurel Chandler used to be a public prosecutor and after having lost a child abuse case she has a nervous breakdown
Carrie
TBR Challenge 2012: May Challenge- Read a book published prior to 2000.
TBR Challenge 2012: Personal Challenge- Cry Wolf has been on my to-read list since March 2010.

Grade C+
Lucky's Lady is one of my favorite romantic suspense books, and I looked forward to reading Cry Wolf when I saw it was labeled Doucet #3. Other than sharing the Bayou setting and having a one line mention of Lucky Doucet, there is nothing to tie this book to the others. Lucky's Lady also dealt with family troubles and a tortu
Candice
Nov 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Quinn
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
For me 90% of the book had just to much family drama, making feel like it was a daytime soap. The last 10% finally got back to the mystery,but it was just rushed.
M.E. Logan
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
A page turner. Tami Hoag describes Louisiana bayou country so vividly you can feel the humidity and smell the swamp. Attorney Laurel Chandler, burnt out attorney, returns to her home rural parish to lick her wounds and restore her soul. Returning home isn't the sanctuary she desires as old issues still test her. Hoag creates a tangled web of deceit, characters who are not as they seem to be, images of violence so horrifying to make you stop and make sure your doors are locked.
Tonya
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really liked this one. A good mystery that had me guessing at first and a romance in there too with some deep family secrets. A good and fast read forme. I finished it in one sitting.
ElsaMakotoRenge
It is not fair to rate a book I read 26 pages of one star, but I did. There is no reason for the amount of bad language, especially in so few pages that I read. Sorry. Not for me.
Brooke Sillaby
Round up to 3.5 stars.
Nikki
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book
Dbeazle
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice. I love 💘it.
Cris Cuthbertson
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Gah. This book annoyed me. Much mills and boon style romance, with dark men with a troubled past Blah blah blah. And a little bit of obvious crime perpetrated by creepy men.
Liz
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I first read Cry Wolf when I was fifteen. I remember becoming completely absorbed in the story, the author’s descriptions of the bayous and the different facets of Louisiana culture. Half a lifetime later, I’m pleased that the story is still good, the characters still vivid, and the conclusion, still quite dramatic.

Written in the early part of the nineties, computers are hardly in evidence (Newspaper clippings? Really? But I kid!), cell phones aren’t mentioned, and it would be nearly a decade be
Sophie
I was told I need to read more outside of my favorite genres, so I went to the library and picked the first title that caught my eye.

THE LONG AND SHORT:
I don't read thrillers. Especially ones that are romance heavy. I was under the impression that this would be some mix of Criminal Minds + Law and Order. Instead I got something that you would find on the Lifetime network. In my opinion, that is not a good thing. In my head, Lifetime = melodramatic romance mixed with some violence for spice demon
Jerry B
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
We typically find Tami Hoag’s novels to be suspenseful mystery/thrillers, often with a female leading character. In “Wolf”, Laura Chandler fills that role, an attorney who returns to her Cajun homeland in Louisiana after a career-busting loss as an assistant DA in a prominent case in Georgia. Yet most of the book is really more a soap opera about Laura's improbable and almost immediate romance with local rogue Jack Boudreaux, himself a disbarred lawyer who is now a wealthy and successful murder/ ...more
Barbara ★
Laurel Chandler, a lawyer returning home in disgrace, meets a local man, Jack Boudreaux, also a lawyer though disbarred, and falls in love. Most of the story is Laurel's healing from a mental breakdown and dealings with Jack while all along she is determined that the last thing she needs is a relationship. Her bad childhood and his draw them together like white on rice. When the local serial killer strikes close to home, things heat up and Laurel finally gets her feet under her and gets back in ...more
Jaime
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I normaly am not one for mysteries, but this book is exceptional! My first time reading it, I couldn't put it down and that was sixteen years ago. I have since then read it several times and it never changes as one of my favorites. Not only is there a murder to solve, but a great romance between the main characters Jack and Laurel. Sexual tension, great word play between the two of the them, humor and dark, emotionally tortured people. You won't want to miss it.
Elaine
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a little slow at first. I am torn between a 3 and 4 for this book. I liked the book, but I got a little tired of the I am not good enough to have a relationship part of this book. Which is the majority of this book.
Ambre
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
I haven't read Tami Hoag before. I don't read books where supposedly smart women throw themselves at verbally abusive disrespectful jerks because they need to be dominated, so this will also be the last.
Sandy Pfefferkorn
This is more of a schlocky romance story with a serial killer thrown in for good measure rather than just a mystery. (Another reviewer said that the book was originally marketed as a romance when it was first published.) I've read other books by Tami Hoag; this was NOT one of her better ones.
DAISY DISNEY
Feb 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fictional-crime
DNF halfway through the book. The characters didn't grab my attention and the story was long winded about their pasts. I just didn't care to read on.
Ivana
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Three stars just because I liked Savannah and Jack.
Sonya madden
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
my first Tsmi hoag and I loved it!
Anita
1.5 Stars

1. Tami Hoag can be a good writer. I can see it in the other two books she's written that I recently read. The story progression isn't absurdly staunched or anything like that. And she can be good with words. Unfortunately, I think she tried WAY too hard to emphasize EVERYTHING in this book. The purple prose is strong with this one, suffocating and deliberate in its plight to squeeze meaning into every scene and every dialogue and every action.

It got tacky.

The only part of the writing I
M.K.
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a wonderful example of a author gaining fame and digging out something she wrote twenty plus years ago and no one bothers to update it or tighten up the prose. By the way, I like Tami Hoag, which is why I paid full retail price for the book inside a bookstore. What a disappointment. What didn't I like:

1. The French Creole glossary I had to flip to at the back of the book almost every page to understand what a character said.
2. Secondary characters were flat, flat, flat.
3. I knew who the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10; Blood #1)
  • Born To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #3)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • Killer Dreams
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)
  • Left To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #1)
  • Afraid To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #4)
  • Chosen To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #2)
  • Hidden Creed (Ryder Creed, #6)
  • Chaos
  • Deserves To Die (To Die, #6)
  • Never Die Alone (New Orleans, #8)
  • Willing to Die (To Die, #8)
  • My Last Duchess (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #0.5)
  • The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1)
  • A Time for Mercy (Jake Brigance, #3)
  • Seeing Darkness (Krewe of Hunters #30)
  • Sleepwalker
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more

Doucet (4 books)
  • The Restless Heart (Doucet, #1)
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet, #2)
  • A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4: Broussard and Fourcade #1)