Start by marking “An Eye for Glory: The Civil War Chronicles of a Citizen Soldier” as Want to Read:
An Eye for Glory: The Civil War Chronicles of a Citizen Soldier

An Eye for Glory: The Civil War Chronicles of a Citizen Soldier

Michael palmer is a good man, a family man. But honor and duty push him to leave his comfortable life and answer the call from Abraham Lincoln to fight for his country. This “citizen soldier” learns quickly that war is more than the battle on the field. Long marches under extreme conditions, illness, and disillusionment challenge at every turn. Faith seems lost in a blur o ...more
Published January 15th 2011 by Zondervan (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about An Eye for Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Eye for Glory

Start your review of An Eye for Glory: The Civil War Chronicles of a Citizen Soldier
Hope
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This novel was based on letters and diaries from a Civil War soldier from the 2nd Connecticut Volunteers, and is told thru letters to his wife and diary entries. I was fascinated, because his unit started fighting at Antietam Creek, covering much of the same ground that we recently drove over as we came back to VA from Hershey, PA. We took back roads over South Mountain and wandered thru many areas fought over. He fought in Fredericksburg, marching down Caroline and Princess Anne streets to the ...more
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: AN EYE FOR GLORY
Author: Karl A. Bacon
Publisher: Zondervan
February 2011
ISBN: 978-0-310-32202-3
Genre: Inspirational/historical/Civil War

Michael Palmer has a wife and three children, but honor and duty push him to leave his comfortable life and answer the call from Abraham Lincoln to fight for his country.

Michael learns quickly that war is more than what he’d initially thought. It involves long marches through the field, under extreme conditions. Illness
Kayla
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The thing about this book that's really interesting to me is that it wasn't completely action-packed. Words didn't jump off the page, I wasn't hanging by a thread, it was a very calm and simple book describing the life of one man in an army in the Civil War but I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel like I had to pay that much attention and most of the book was him writing letters to his wife, how he felt about the entire war, and only small bits were actually battle.

The first part threw
Wade
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every boy wonders if he has what it takes to be a soldier, or a warrior. Michael Palmer discovers the cost may be too high for him to pay, but, his choice was made by his president and his God.
Karl Bacon spent ten years researching and crafting this in-depth saga of a Civil War soldier and the depth he drifted to while following the orders he was given. The war doesn't end when a soldier comes home, either.
Keep the tissues near-by as you read the letters between this soldier/husband
Clarice James
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As Karl A. Bacon's profile says, he is "a longtime student of the Civil War." Although he passes on much of what he's learned to his readers--with skill and accuracy--it's done in such an intimate way you forget that you're reading fiction. Between the compelling narrative, the account of the battles, and the letters and journals, it was easy to feel like you were reading the personal papers of a Civil War soldier. Michael (the main character) and his wife's letters to each other read exactly li ...more
Kathy
This novel could have been a really good one BUT the heavy-handed religious dogma crushes the story. Plus Dick Hill's narration (usually excellent) takes on a Capt Kirk quality,,, over acting? I dunno but over-something. Too bad because the trauma the Civil War soldiers suffered is a topic worth exploring honestly.
Jim
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book when I picked it up. The cover caught my eye and the description written on the cover was intriguing. What I worried about, and nearly had me put it down was that it was written over 150 years ago and sometimes that style of writing can lead to boredom or confusion. Also, true accounts of historical events can often feel tedious. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Almost from the first page I was sucked it and the author writes with such clarity that I f ...more
Tom Hicklin
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good depiction of a man’s struggle to reconcile who he thought he was with the things he did during the war. The author does a good job of portraying the protagonist’s journey from innocence to hatred to cold indifference to acceptance—all from a uniquely mid-19th century perspective.

One of the novel’s biggest strengths is also its biggest weakness. The author does a good job of capturing the essence of a 19th century novel. Unfortunately, that makes it difficult to read. The flowery descript
Laurie DelaCruz
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read many, many books about the Civil War, but this one was the first one that actually gave me a feeling for what it was like to be a soldier in that war. Written with a talent for storytelling that is rarely seen in Christian publications, it grips you from beginning to end, and draws you into the life of a man who never would have chosen a soldier's path were it not for the extraordinary times in which he lived. The author was unflinching when describing the gore of war, which helped m ...more
Caroline
Outstanding Civil War novel following the journey of a soldier thru his battlefield journals and letters to his wife. Filled with battles including Gettysburg, friendship, love, sorrow, regret and faith. Highly recommend.
Carly
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-favorites
When I was in school, I remember studying the Civil war and I use the word ‘studying’ loosely. I was always so bored by it that I just wanted to memorize what I needed to know and move on. As I have gotten older though, I have developed an interest in our country’s younger days, especially the Civil War. I was very interested in reading An Eye for Glory because I knew it would be an interesting read and I knew that I would learn a lot from it that I don’t remember from my school days. What I was ...more
Brenda
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this book set during the civil war we see the battle thru the eyes of Michael Palmer, a thirty three year old man who lived a comfortable life in his hometown of Naugatuck Connecticut, with his wife Jessie Anne, and their two children. He felt God was leading him to answer the call by Abraham Lincoln to join the fight. So when he and his best friend John Robinson volunteer to fight, John asks him if he will be able to kill the enemy Michael is unsure, but when they find themselves in the mids ...more
Shonna Froebel
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up an advance copy of this title at a conference earlier this year and once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. The citizen soldier here is Michael Palmer, a married father, who feels compelled by his religious feelings to fight in the war against slavery. He knows that others are fighting for other reasons, but that is his reason. He doesn't want his children growing up in a country that allows slaves.
He enlists voluntarily after feeling that God wants him to fight, and his be
Nancy Kimball
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Karl Bacon has written an outstanding novel. An armchair Civil War history buff who has been to the Confederate Civil War Museum in New Orleans and took a college course on the war, I could appreciate the maps and detail of the battles and well, everything in this book. At points I would have sworn I was reading narrative non-fiction except that Michael's personal battle completely drew me. It took me four times as long to read this book because the emotional scarring that was occurring for me t ...more
Loreen Ridge-husum
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I nabbed this paperback from the bargain bin during a rained-out road trip. Lucky for me that it was on sale, because I would have gladly paid more for the adventure.

Having read transcripts of some letters from one of my own ancestors who fought in the Civil War, I found this to be an accurate depiction of the various phases of a soldier's thought and action...the idealism, and the desperation, followed by numbness, confusion and anger. It takes the reader to a place where, even if y
Casey
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have always held a fascination for the Civil War. I studied it extensively in high school and it still remains one of my favorite periods of history. So when I had the chance to read “Eye for Glory”, I took the chance.

This book isn’t a romance and I wasn’t expecting one, but I want to ‘warn’ those romance readers out there, that this book is more for the history guru. I have always enjoyed documentaries about the Civil War and this book does read a bit like a documentary. But what
Loren
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing

An Eye For Glory is Karl Bacon's debut novel. It is truly an amazing and powerful read. The story of Michael ~ a good man, a family man, and a Union Soldier fighting in the Civil War.

Leaving the comforts of home, his wife and children, to fight more than just the war. To endure death, sickness, extreme conditions on the battlefield and then to question his faith. How could God ever be with him after all he has done in this war?
After being honest with his wife about the battle he is fighting wi
Janna Ryan
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a fascinating perspective on the Civil War as seen through the eyes of a civilian that volunteers for a 3 year term as a Union soldier. I am intrigued by the Civil War so I was excited to read this book, but I was concerned that I might have a hard time getting into it. Boy was I wrong. I jumped in and was swept away to the another time and place. I followed Michael Palmer as he enlisted, left his family, trained, went into battle for the first time and the time after that and the t ...more
Michael
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Been reading this off and on... It was, at times, a slow read... But at Gettysburg it picked up. Also as I began to understand and relate to Michael Palmer's struggle could I begin to see the depth of his pain and the pain of so many I served in my years as a Chaplain. The ending, with it's grace-filled healing had me in tears! Well worth the read as Karl Bacon delivers a pretty intensive look into the heart, soul, and spirit of a warrior and believer.
Kathy Andrews
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As a flower child of the 60's, I am not a fan of war. Living in an area so rich with Civil War history, I decided to give this book a try. It seems to be an accurate portrayal of the hardships and successes of the 14th Connecticut. So many wars are based on religion, I felt the Christian aspect of the book added greatly to the story. It is astonishing to me the agony men inflict on each other in the name of God.
Linda Chambers
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book isn't action packed. But, I did like the historical information. I really would have liked for the author to have delved deeper into the main character's inner struggle with his faith in God as the war continued.
I think parts of the story were a strong reminder that not everyone in the South believed in slavery, nor was everyone in the north anti- slavery. Some honestly couldn't care less and fought for their side whether of their own free will or by being drafted.
Chuck
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a Civil War buff, this was an interesting read of one man's journey through the killing fields of Fredericksburg through Cold Harbor. But his real journey is a spiritual one. A journey of faith which is lost in these same bloody fields and then is found again in the not-so-simple act of forgiveness. Although An Eye For Glory is a product of fiction, it draws heavily upon the non-fiction accounts of the 14th Connecticut Volunteers.
Elizabeth Whitehead
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love historical novels and would have given this book a higher rating except I had a hard time getting thru it. I really hadn't read much about the civil war in America from the yank perspective, so I was interested but it did go on and on going over battles several times. It was also very sad because of the loss of life during this critical time in our country.
Joy W. Doering
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Must-read for any civil war enthusiast, and even if you aren't an 'enthusiast' it is still a great read. Karl Bacon spent 10 years researching for this book and it shows. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will give us another book- hopefully from the confederate perspective.
Rene
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I been readin this off and on when I have gone to Books A Million and man the story is very good hence i keep retunring to the same book to read..... U guys ever get ahold of it read it u won't be disappointed.
Laurie Ronan Davis
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about a soldier, his struggle with his faith, and love of country. Anyone who has family members who fought in the Civil War should read this.
Maria
Oct 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Stolen Child
  • The Girl Between
  • The Winter Sea (Slains, #1)
  • Canción de cuna de Auschwitz
  • Dracula's Guest: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Vampire Stories
  • The Firebird (Slains, #2)
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • Bald Knobbers:: Chronicles of Vigilante Justice
  • A Good American
  • Landfalls
  • The Other Side of the Bridge
  • My Cousin Rachel
From youth Karl A. Bacon has been a serious student of the Civil War. Countless hours of detailed research supply the foundation for each novel, including copious reading, internet research and personal visits to battlefields and historic sites. For Prairie Dog Town, he toured Vicksburg National Military Park, did research at the Old Courthouse Museum, stayed in the Duff Green Mansion, and visited ...more
“She was as lovely as ever, my Jessie Anne. I paused for a moment, taking her beauty in, laying up this vision of her in the deepest and most secret place of my mind, allowing the sight of her to renew my spirit. I stepped slowly down to the platform, never allowing my gaze to drift from her. Jessie Anne was looking toward the front of the car, and it was a moment or two before she turned and spotted me.
The bright and hopeful smile I had so expected and longed for darkened, just for a moment to be sure, but long enough for me to recognize a fleeting glimpse of shock and anguish, possibly of horror. No longer did she see the man she had known, the man she had given her life to. No, she saw me for the man I truly was, the man with blood on his hands.”
0 likes