Start by marking “Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)” as Want to Read:
Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)

Moment of Truth (Rosato and Associates #5)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  4,793 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
Jack Newlin comes home to find his wife dead. Convinced that he knows who killed her - and determined to hide the truth - Jack decides to make it look as though he did it. Unfortunately for Jack, hiring Mary may turn out to be his only mistake.

A winner of the Edgar Award and the bestselling author of six acclaimed novels, Lisa Scottoline has unabashedly earned the distinct
Paperback
Published September 1st 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Moment of Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moment of Truth

Janis
Jan 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I started using Goodreads for the sole purpose of giving this book a bad rating. I needed some brain candy for a long flight, and bought this book because it came up on some list on my ereader and had good ratings. It was absolute garbage. Let's leave the predictable plot, unrealistic romance, and poorly formed characters aside, the book was filled with racist, homophobic, sexist, and Islamaphobic language. I kept reading it for the sole joy of feeling morally superior to author. Terrible, terri ...more
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I love Lisa Scottoline books - although I will admit to reading her most recent ones. This book is twelve years old and it was painful. It took me nearly a month to read because I was unmotivated to do so. I found the idea of the book quite interesting, but found the book itself pretty awful.

*Potential Spoilers*:

I could kind of get on board with Jack confessing to a murder he didn't commit that he thinks his daughter did. But I found Paige's memory of the ordeal to be very convenient. I found Ma
Rachel
Oct 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trashy
I listened to this book, and I think it was an abridged version, but honestly it probably just saved me from more crappy writing and bad plot.

Jack Newlin is framing himself for murder because he thinks his 16 year-old daughter did it. It doesn't take a genious to see that she didn't. You will quickly figure out who did, but the why will NEVER make sense because this book is stupid.
Jillian Haas

The setup is interesting -- a lawyer frames himself for the murder of his wife. The potential for conflict between him and his defense lawyer along with anyone else trying to help him is intriguing. Unfortunately, I wasn't wowed. Too many dull scenes and cluttering dialogue dragged on the story, making the read seem endless. Despite coffee and anticipation for a late night of engrossment, I often fell asleep. Brain was not engaged, and for a successful legal thriller, it damn well should have be
Jane
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Lisa Scottoline usually writes great books. This one was not quite up to her usual standards. Newlin (an attorney) comes home to find his wife stabbed to death. He instantly assumes his wife was murdered by their daughter so he steps forward to take the blame and protect her. Mary (a new attorney) takes his case and immediately senses he may not be the real killer. Mary forms an attraction to Jack Newlin and fights to find the truth. I can't quite see the relationship/attraction happening that q ...more
Saleh MoonWalker
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bullet-proof premise distinguishes this expert crime thriller… Sharp, funny characters, crafty plot twists, and a flavorful depiction of high- and lower-middle Philadelphia society will keep readers riveted to this tense, often mischievous page-turner.
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Eppie
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-lawyer
I didn't enjoy this one as much.

Amazon.com Review
Moment of Truth begins with what appears to be an open-and-shut case. Jack Newlin, a wealthy attorney with one of the most influential law firms in Philadelphia, killed his wife in a moment of drunken passion, stabbing her repeatedly when she announced she wanted a divorce. Or at least that is what he is claiming to the police.

The fact is, Jack is framing himself because he fears his wife's murder was his daughter's crime of passion. Sixteen-year-
Terri Lynn
Another good book from the Rosato and Associates series. This time around Bennie Rosato is out of the country taking a break after her horrible experiences in the last book and it falls to inexperienced Mary DiNunzio to handle a murder case where a rich lawyer confesses to the murder of his wife because he thinks his pregnant teen daughter did it. With the help of two police officers who think his confession is phony, Mary has to maneuver through an incredibly complicated case. I love the twist ...more
Drebbles
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2004
When attorney Jack Newlin discovers his murdered wife's body, he thinks his daughter killed her and he confesses rather than see her go to jail. He then hires inexperienced attorney Mary DiNunzio to defend him. But Mary believes he is innocent and decides to prove it, placing herself, Jack, and Jack's daughter, Paige, in danger. Can Mary find the killer before she becomes the next victim?

This legal thriller is a fun read. The characters, for the most part, are well written and come to life, esp
Phil
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like a good whodunit as much as anyone, but having 180 degree plot twists every two or three chapters was annoying. Rather than heightening the tension, or making you question your ideas, it just made you want to finish so you can move on to the next book.

I've been reading the Rosato & Associates series, in order, for the past few weeks. This book was not up to the standards of the earlier ones. But, I freely admit some people will love it for the exact reasons I did not. I will continue t
Msjodi777
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2016, june-2016
I think I need to listen to these closer together, because there are so many characters that I forget who is who from book to book. But I do enjoy this series, and keep on listening even though it is getting harder and harder to find the unabridged audio books. Goodness, does that mean that this could become, yet another series that I will have to read on my kindle? Might just have to get a full sized kindle if I come up with another series... nah, I'll stick with my iTouch. Kate Burton's narrat ...more
Mary
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
When Jack Newlin comes home to find his wife dead on their elegant dining room floor, he's convinced he knows who has killed her. He sets out to stage the murder so that he appears to be guilty. To hammer the final nail in his coffin, he hires the most inexperienced lawyer he can find: Mary DiNunzio of Rosato and Associates.

Unfortunately for Jack, hiring Mary might be his biggest mistake. Inexperienced she might be, but Mary soon discovers that instead of defending a guilty client claiming to be
Caroline Dwyer
Feb 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don't know what is going on, I generally enjoy Lisa Scotolines books. I have read two, Don't Go and Look Again. I started Moment of Truth and about 6 chapters in I'm just bored. I am wondering if Goodreads is hurting me at this point? I make lists and go through the books reading the description often. Th plots may be ruined? I noticed a little bit in Look Again but still loved the book. Maybe it is only this book that I am just not enjoying. I'm not sure.
Kay Vanatta
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
best one I've read so far!
Darren
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nls
Each book is better than the one before it. In this book, we are back with Mary. This story line has so many twists and turns, you need to really pay attention to keep up. We get to go along with Mary, as she deals with police corruption, two partners working against one another, representing a client, then getting fired by that client, and then representing the client again. These are just some of the things we get to experience with Mary. When you find out who is behind everything, you will be ...more
Alex Black
This book was dumb. Poorly written. The characters were all one dimensional. Their motivations were flimsy at best. Nothing any of them did or said made logical sense. I quite enjoy mindless entertainment, but it's got to the be entertaining for that to work and this book was not. I don't give one star ratings lightly, but there was nothing I enjoyed in this book. It was obvious to the point it was kind of painful, and then as though the author realized that, made the ending as convoluted as pos ...more
Mel Ann
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my haste to get to the climax of the story, I almost put it down and gave up. When it started moving, it really started moving. The suspense was great and there were so many moving parts to get to who did it.

It came to a nice conclusion. Paige made her 1st adult decision. Brinkley has found some stability. And to find out what happens to Jack and Paige, you should read the book. I suggest in Large Print.
Vickie Noel
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lisa's books, but this one was a disaster. I can't count how many times I picked and dropped it, constantly asking myself why I just couldn't be through with it already. The plot was boring, the characters were too predictable...I honestly don't know how I got to the end. It's an absolute no-no.
Scott Drake
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A fairly engrossing story, but adding one more twist after just one more, after well, you get the idea, it leads to a muddled finish. There were many excellent solutions avaialble, but this time Scottoline seems to add one more layer of WTF than necessary and the story ends abruptly and unsatisfyingly.

Worth a read over a long, rainy weekend tho, I can attest to that much..
Michele Bailey
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
The story line was ok. Wasnt my favorite Scottoline book. I listened to the audio version of the book. The individual narrating was done an individual that is an excellent narrater but during this reading I kept hearing noises that sounded like loose dentures. Editters please revew the audio when its done!Love
Lee
There are some Scottoline books I enjoy and some that are ok at best. This falls into the latter category. Benny is not present this is strictly a Mary book where she is tasked to defend a man arrested for the murder of his wife. The problem. He doesn’t really want her help but she delves into the mystery and as usual the lawyers lives are at risk.
Stephanie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jack Newlin comes home to find his wife dead. Suspecting his daughter killed her he makes changes to the crime scene, then calls the police and turns himself in. But did his daugher kill her mother? Mary DiNunzio, who Jack hires to represent him, doesn't think so. A good, well paced read.
Kathleen Wells
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book better than I like some of Scottoline's. I tend to think that her heroines take ridiculous risks, and I wonder why they end up alive!! This book was somewhat the same. So many plot twists and turns at the end that I could hardly keep up.
Shannon
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many moments of truth because too many people are confessing! The best part? Mary had something unexpected happen to her that happened in another book that means she should buy a lottery ticket with her luck!
Belen
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I love Lisa Scottoline but its was PAINFUL to listen to all the mouth/saliva noises from the narrator (Barbara Rosenblat). I listened to the whole book because it was really good but I wanted to rip my ears out the whole time.
Julie Richter
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book started off a little slow, but got way better.
Cathy Biggers
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another terrific Lisa Scottoline mystery - never disappointed with any of her books but this one was a real thriller from beginning to end.
Allan McLeod
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked most of this one, interesting plot, but characters were, for me, opaque. I loke better, stronger, more interesting characters
Jerib
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The book was good but the listening somewhat spoiled by the narrator's mouth noises. It seemed she had to pause frequently to suck on her lozenge or swallow saliva.
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • Bad Blood (Alexandra Cooper, #9)
  • In Her Defense
  • The Secret Hour
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • The Midnight Hour
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
20258
Lisa Scottoline is the New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 28 novels, including her latest, ONE PERFECT LIE, which releases in April 2017. Her previous emotional thriller, MOST WANTED, has been optioned for a TV series. Lisa also co-authors a bestselling series of humorous memoir with her daughter, Francesca Serritella, which is based on their weekly Philadelphia In ...more
More about Lisa Scottoline...

Rosato and Associates (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Everywhere That Mary Went (Rosato & Associates, #1)
  • Legal Tender (Rosato & Associates, #2)
  • Rough Justice (Rosato & Associates, #3)
  • Mistaken Identity (Rosato & Associates, #4)
  • The Vendetta Defense (Rosato & Associates, #6)
  • Courting Trouble (Rosato & Associates, #7)
  • Dead Ringer (Rosato & Associates, #8)
  • Killer Smile (Rosato & Associates, #9)
  • Lady Killer (Rosato & Associates, #10)
  • Think Twice (Rosato & Associates, #11)
“in the chalices, wafers, and rosaries of her childhood, and she” 0 likes