Start by marking “Bloody Mary” as Want to Read:
Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Timothy Bright doesn't exactly live up to his name. He is the not-very acute scion of a successful family - that is, until Timothy has his funds cut off. This sad turn of affairs gives him the desire, although unfortunately not the brains, to get rich on his own. In this devil-may-care way, Tom Sharpe subjects his poor hero to run-ins with the Chief Constable, his wife, he ...more
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Mary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody Mary

Tom Cöle
Better than its reputation suggests but still not amazing, The Midden is probably Tom Sharpe's last genuinely good novel. Written in the mid '90s after his decade-long bout of writer's block and lukewarm comeback Grantchester Grind, The Midden is a gleeful little romp that reminded me of his earlier (and much better) Vintage Stuff in terms of structure and pacing.

It's loosely a satire on the effects of Thatcherism on modern life - one of the characters is a yuppie, another is a bent copper lay p
Peter
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also bitte, liebe Herausgeber dieses Buches: wie kommt ihr um alles auf den deutschen Titel "Ein dicker Hund"? Nur wegen dem Rottweiler, der passend "Genscher" heißt und eine winzige Nebenrolle spielt? Weitere Hunde, ob dick oder auch dünn, waren leider für mich in dem Buch nicht zu finden. Der Originaltitel "The Midden" spielt auf das hoheitliche Geschlecht der Protagonisten an und passt. Den unzulänglichen Klappentext, der eine ganz andere Geschichte vorgaukelt ignoriere ich nun einfach mal gr ...more
Wilton314
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Very funny, some very much laugh out loud. I love Tom Sharpe's style of taking a seemingly down and out hero, adding other extraordinary characters and mashing them together in all manner of preposterous situations that all meet in an hilarious climax. Wonderful stuff. I look out for his books whenever I can.
Tim
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
When the midden hit the windmill, as Terry Pratchett would say.
Katherine
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Not as good or as funny as Wilt or Porterhouse Blue. Still, it's well written and it does compel you yo continue reading.
Michael Bafford
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the days when I had pretensions of becoming a writer I discovered what other readers have surely discovered simply by reading, namely: in order to give interest to a story the author needs to hurt his characters. I found this disconcerting and distasteful. You take time and thought and words to help bring a character to life and then you have to hurt him, physically or psychologically, just to get your story moving. I have since found that there are various ways authors handle this. One ...more
Usfromdk
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know what to say about this one. This book's plot is completely-over-the-top absurd, and things just keep getting more and more crazy/implausible as the story progresses. As is usually the case for a Sharpe novel there are some major - reasonably plausible - misunderstandings/misconstruals driving key parts of the plot at various times, and as usual they're reasonably well thought out and quite funny.

When reading the book, at some point you'll have to stop thinking along the line
Book-a-neer
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, humour
Someone had recommended the book Wilt by the same author but I could only find this at the library so I thought I'd read it anyway.

I've got mixed feelings about this book. I didn't totally enjoy it but I didn't not like it either. I thought there were some funny moments - though not laugh out loud ones - but there were also times when I thought that it was a bit too slapstick and it got tiring after a while. It is a bit like the One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed....including policemen who di
Tina Lamb
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sharpe has done it again. My life was once again suspended whilst I wallowed in the gossip fodder of his characters. He has the knack of introducing characters with no palpable attributes and telling you about their plights with no clue about whether this means they are about to get their just desserts or continue to outwit karma. Maybe it's just me. But I swear I have met most of his characters or their soul mates. And his rendition of their thought processes only seems to confirm the fact. ...more
Jim
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
An odd story that wanders through the lives of a group of wealthy characters and a local police force. It took me quite a while to get into the story, but once I did it kept me moving along. The characters are interesting, but since the story jumps from one character perspective to another, you never really get to know any of them.

The story climaxes over the last hundred pages from a slow simmer to a full rolling boil, with some very funny bits.

Not one of my favorite books, but an interesting
Rory McKay
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud on the train funny.

Dribble of wee funny.

Aching jaw funny.

Uncomfortable, disturbed, looking half-away from the page funny.

Tom Sharpe is simply one of the funniest writers I have ever read, and I've read a lot of books.

A master of the art of schadenfreude - the art of laughing at someone else's misfortune.

So what more can I say?

Highly recommended.
Ed
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The great British satirist Tom Sharpe again firing on all cylinders in a wild, preposterous romp through the English countryside and class system. Later than, and perhaps not quite on the same level as, his Wilt and Porterhouse Blue masterworks, but still a terrific book.
Jonathan-David Jackson
I had not read anything funny by 60 pages in (which means either I accidentally skipped over it, or it wasn't in there), so I donated it to a charity shop. If this is your type of thing, St. Michael's in Starbeck will have it for 99 pence.
Brendan O'connell
The story was fun, but was there really a need for the vulgar, almost depraved scenes? the abusive language towards the end did NOTHING to aid the plot line or the flow of the text... a shame really because I'd been told he was a really good author.
Freder
May 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a long dry spell, Sharpe returned with this and GRANTCHESTER GRIND in rapid succession. Neither were really up to scratch, but THE MIDDEN is the better of the two.
Geraud
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
un des tom sharpe que je trouve moins bon. on y rit moins... j'ai été assez déçu. guère de cruauté, peu de bons gags.
Beth
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mysteries
Not as good or interesting as his other books.
Jean-françois
en cours, très drôle comme toujours avec Sharpe mais la construction est inégale et n'atteint pas les sommets des Wilt. Mais dès que je l'ai terminé je passe à La grande poursuite, histoire de voir.
Amyria
Jan 29, 2016 added it
i never read this book because i was a reader when i was 2 years old many books i read i got a all books .
Jorgen Lundgren
Some very funny sections.
Jessica J.
fun but not one of his best
Lee Belbin
The usual Tom Sharpe view of the silver spoon set in Britan. This time with a 28 yo twerp born to wealth but after some pot, brought down to earth via a practical peer.
James
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book to be read in public! Very lol.
Emmie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Typical Tom Sharpe. Laugh out loud funny.
Conor O'mahony
Started off OK but it faded into nothing. Some of the one liners were too cruel or blunt
Dokusha
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Auf eine so abstruse Handlung muß man erst mal kommen ... ich habe viel gelacht, wenn auch an manchen Stellen der Bogen doch etwas sehr überspannt wurde.
Gill
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Tom Sharpe back in the Seventies but this book was written in the Nineties and his satire and cynicism seem to have tipped over the edge into a quite unpleasant misanthropy.
Sumit Singh
ok...not as good as others
Stan Armiger
Picked up out of a book exchange when I was desparate and was a suprisingly good farcical read with a few out loud laughs. Would recommend only to those with a zany sense of humour.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Midden by Tom Sharpe 1 14 Jul 17, 2015 06:46AM
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Book of Q
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Breakheart Hill
  • A Singular Man
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • Daughter of God
  • The Thieves Of Heaven
  • Lying With the Dead
  • The Alternative Hero
  • Fresh
  • L'uomo di Londra
  • No mires debajo de la cama
  • The Midnight Love Feast
  • Madrapour
  • Further Adventures
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...