Start by marking “Space Cat” as Want to Read:
Space Cat

Space Cat

(Space Cat #1)

Everyone goes to the moon in stories these days - why not a cat? So we have the ambitious young cat, Flyball, going off in a rocket and having extraordinary adventures. He is a delight in his space suit - a descendant perhaps of that famous adventurer Puss in Boots.

On the moon he becomes, of course, a super-cat, rescuing his master and finding surprising things in a cave.
Published January 1st 1992 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Space Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Cat

Start your review of Space Cat
Peter Tillman
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Peter by: Montzalee Wittmann
Totally charming text and illos, of how Flyball the cat went to the Moon, in 1951. Reading the 1952 HB, likely a first ed.

Chapter One. Little Gray Kitten sneaks on board a jetliner (this is written in 1951, mind). Takeoff! His snug sleeping spot tilts! He meows! A friendly man picks him up, hands him to the stewardess. No one claims him. Man adopts him, names him "Flyball."

Chap. 2. Call from the Colonel. "Late from your leave *again*, Stone?" Flyball takes over the Rocket base with his super
Anitabot
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Greatest book about a cat in space ever written.
Anna
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This edition was published in 1991 but I read it literally my lifetime ago. It was my favorite book at age 6 or 7. Was already hooked on sci fi and cats, of course. Wonderful illustrations. The respect shown Space Cat by the humans in the story puts humans in a wonderful light. Also loved Space Cat Meets Mars as well as Space Cat Visits Venus. Ruthven Todd, by the way, also wrote an excellent essay on William Blake which I read about 40 years later.
Jay
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child, and the prospect of re-reading it as adult delights me! Off to make an Inter-Library Loan request right now!

UPDATE

Still awesome! My cats prefer The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, though.
K. Wade
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book at age 7, after checking it out from the school library. This book, with its 3 companions (Space Cat Visits Venus, etc) are the first science fiction books I ever read, and I can trace my love of that genre to this series.
Allyson
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved these books as a kid. They were part of my early intro to scifi. I still loved them when I read them to my sons. The cat stows away with his astronaut owner on a trip on his rocket ship. Priceless.
Evan Hammerman
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the defining books of my life. Read it during the Johnson administration. Named one of our pet cats Flyball after it!
Edwin
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
Truly delightful children's science fiction book that was a tremendous influence on me when I read it as a child. Tells the story of a stray young cat adopted by an astronaut, given the clever name Flyball, his adventures at the space center, and on an exciting journey to the moon.

The Moon is only the start,
Says Flyball the flier.
We'll reach the stars yet
Going higher and higher.
We'll voyage right round space
To the ends of the sky.
Oh, no one ever can guess
How far we will fly!
Michael Fitzgerald
Half of the idea is 1950s futurist science fiction (conceivable, though now known to be wrong), and half is ridiculous fantasy (inconceivable even then).
Simone van den Bergh
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Happy little quick-read, just love cats and space, so space cat is amazing, nicely written as if it to be 1969 all over again and with a pinch of science fiction and some moon mystery, owh yeah there are more volumes, happy days
Susan Johnston
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here: Space Cat was written and published back in 1952. It tells the story of a kitten named Flyball who manages to adopt an astronaut- still called rocketeers back then- and ends up going to the moon with his human. Flyball is a kitty I can love. He is very adventurous and determined. Even when the humans want to stop him from doing something, he finds a way.
He, like me in my palace, rules the roost. He knows he is in charge and his human would not be able to exist without
Bruce Arthurs
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I remember reading, at age 6. It established a love for both science fiction and cats ever since.
Rowena Verdin
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I remember reading this book and loving it so much, I hid it in the shelves in our school library so that no one else can get it!
Navi
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book about a cat named Flyball that is always up for a good adventure. He is fascinated by space and ends up "working" at a space station and then eventually goes to the moon.

This is a great introduction to science fiction for young readers. I loved Flyball and his conceited feline attitude!

Thanks to NetGalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Gmc
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first adventure of Space Cat

I first read this book many years ago as a 10 year old , it was my first taste of science fiction and I loved it!
Flyball is a cat with opinions and a pilot friend. They go to the moon. You'll have to read their adventure, it is to good to miss.
Sean Kennedy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in print, this is a charming story of a cat that can't stop adventuring. The original 1950s illustrations are beautifully rendered and endearing. A book to treasure.
Brian McDaniel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty unrealistic but very charming. Cute illustrations. Adults who like this book may also like the story "Space-time for Springers" by Fritz Leiber.
Roberta
This was probably my very favorite book when I was six. I was into cats. The science in the book is probably pretty silly now but the book was written before all that space stuff even happened. And it was written for children. And it was about a cat.
Anna Smithberger
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting piece of early juv sci-fi. I'm charmed by the thought of an explorer cat going to the moon with his pilot human. And it was fascinating to see what people in 1952 thought would make sense as being on the moon. The treatment of zero g was solid, but the strange bubble-life forms on the moon were not. Still a cute, quick read, and the illustrations are charming. I did find all the little songs the cat makes up pretty annoying by the end, because seriously. No.

The copy I read is from
Michael Rodman
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful children's book about a young cat who stows away on a rocket test flight and is then adopted by the astronaut pilot. The astronaut then takes the cat on a trip to the moon. Considering the book was written before any true spaceflight had had taken place, the science and technical aspects were very forward thinking. Spacecat is written from the Cats point of view throughout. This, along with the sequels (Space Cat Visits Mars, ...Visits to Venus, ...and the Kittens) were a ...more
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was so adorable. And so interesting to read about what people thought might be on the moon before we actually went to the moon. Flyball is cute and smart and cat enough to be believable. Stumbled across this at the library when I was looking for a book by an author with my initials for one of the book challenges I'm doing and am so glad I did :)
Catskill Julie
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Childhood favorites! I just reread these for the first time since 2nd-3rd grade. They are WONDERFUL. I had to order them through Inter-library loan. There was not one copy in the entire NYC library system.

The writing is sophisticated and fun. Todd knows his cats. And the illustrations are wonderful.

Treat yourself.
Patty
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found out about this vintage juvenile fiction quite by accident, but I am completely captivated. Not only does Space Cat kick some serious ass, he looks just like my cat, Darla, whom we now call Space Cat. Hard to find, long out of print, but super charming!! The 1950's-era depictions of space travel, rockets, and alien worlds are fantastic!
JoEllen
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I've been thinking of it and wishing for it on and off for years. On a whim I searched for it again tonight on Goodreads, and here it is! It's nice, like seeing the face of an old friend.
Carrie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out from my school library many times as a kid. Finally got to read it again after checking it out from another library, and I was so happy that it held up. The writing is really fun, Flyball is a great cat character, and the illustrations are adorable!
Allison
LOVED the illustrations -- my favorite Paul Galdone I've ever seen -- but the story was meh.
Harmony
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Space Cat! Cute story and even cuter illustrations.
Daniel
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This review originally published in < ahref="http://www.lookingforagoodbook.com&qu... For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

In the first of this easy reader series, pilot Captain Fred Stone finds an adventurous feline he names Flyball. Stone is a bit of a rogue - doing things the way he wants to do them, which is not always in keeping with his superior officers' methods. But as Stone is the best pilot the military has, he's given a lot of leeway. And so when Stone, who is about to fly a rocket to
Pop Bop
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A Slightly Goofy Nostalgia Piece That Still Appeals

Everyone has a few childhood books that still resonate, and lots of times those books involve animals, (especially dogs, cats, or horses), or space adventure and sci-fi. My go-to 50's memory along those lines is Eleanor Cameron's "Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet". But for many the Space Cat series fits the bill. This is the first book, (published in 1952), of the four book Space Cat series.

If you love it because you remember it, that's
Lizz DiCesare
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Space Cat was written by Ruthven Todd, illustrated by Paul Galdone, and first published in 1952. I want to point out that this was 17 years before humans actually walked on the moon.

The story follows an adorable little kitten named Flyball, who wants to travel to the moon one day. He sees it up in the sky every night, and wonders what it would be like to go there. His dreams unexpectedly come true after he is adopted by a pilot/astronaut, who finds himself traveling to the moon.

Flyball, being a
The Greatest Book EVER Written 2 4 May 29, 2015 06:57AM

• Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 4: Legend Found
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • The Right Way to Do Wrong: A Unique Selection of Writings by History's Greatest Escape Artist
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • How the Leopard Got His Spots: And Other Just So Stories
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 5: Worst Among Equals
  • Star Wars, Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger
  • Spinster: Making a Life of One's Own
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Life on Mars
  • Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography (A Series of Unfortunate Events companion)
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 1
  • Binky the Space Cat
  • First Indian on the Moon
  • Kiss Me Like a Stranger: My Search for Love and Art
  • Sarah's Long Ride
  • A Poetry Handbook
Ruthven Todd was a poet, author of children's books, and a member of the surrealist school of art. He also wrote detective fiction under the pseudonym R.T. Campbell.

Space Cat (4 books)