Start by marking “Sleeping Arrangements” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Arrangements

Sleeping Arrangements

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  18,875 Ratings  ·  977 Reviews
Chloe needs a holiday. Her partner, Philip, has troubles at work, and the whole family wants a break. Hugh is not a happy man. His immaculate wife, Amanda, seems more interested in her new kitchen than in him—and he works so hard to pay for it, he barely has time for his children. Maybe he'll have a chance to bond with them on holiday…

When the two families arrive at a vill
Published November 30th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Arrangements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Arrangements

Inge
Spoilers

Nope. Just nope.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You know what, I'm really not okay with cheating being romanticised. I don't care if it's because of unresolved feelings, because you got drunk or because you need to "get it out of your system", cheating is not okay and it is definitely not romantic to write a book about it and somehow still have everyone have a happy fucking ending.

But let me tell you about the story first, so you can actually follow my rant. The story follows two couples who, by a strike of fate (r
Eliza
I might have finished this book, but I'm leaving for vacation in a few days and I had to prioritize my reading. Sleeping Arrangements didn't make the cut. I love Sophie Kinsella, but while Madeleine Wickham might be the same person, she's not the same writer. It seems that in attempting to create a slightly more serious scenario, she lost all her spark. Sophie Kinsella's plot premises are utterly ridiculous, but she has me laughing and turning the pages. Madeleine Wickham's premise in Sleeping A ...more
Melissa
Aug 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bitches
This book is awful. Right now I'm listening to it on my Creative Zen player while at the gym and I can't wait until it's finished. The characters are all completely unlikable, which makes it difficult to care what happens to them. I'm half-way through now and not expecting much out of the rest. We'll see in about a week...

I was right. This book did not pick up, the characters did not become more relatable or even empathizable. The ending was okay, but it left a HUGE loose end dangling. I mean, W
Lois Duncan
Feb 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost never give a book one star. I always try to find something good to say about a book, and this one's by a best-selling author so I expected something enjoyable. Sadly, I found it just plain unpleasant. Two unlikeable couples find themselves unwillingly vacationing together. I couldn't relate to any of them. All they did was drink, (I don't think any of them were ever soberthroughout the whole book), and complain about their lives. Two of them have an affair. The Nanny that one couple bro ...more
george
Maybe I'm outgrowing chick lit? Or maybe this was just crap. I'm not sure. The last few chick lit books I've read have not really been enjoyable to me, so I'm sort of leaning towards the former; but maybe I'm just making bad choices. There were not any characters in this book that I liked. They are all reprehensible, selfish and annoying. Two families are thrown together in the same house for a week of holiday and it's starting to look like it wasn't an accident. The books that Wickham wrote und ...more
Ciara
the main difference between madeleine wickham's books & sophie kinsella's books is that when wickham writes under her real name, she forgets that ther novels should have at least one bearable character or un-hackneyed situation.

in this one, two families are offered the use of a spanish villa owned by a mutual friend. chloe is the matriarch of family #1. she is partnered to (but not married to) a banker named phillip. phillip's bank recently merged with a much larger company, & phillip is
Exina

I have mixed feelings about this story.

Positives

- great characterization: you get both the positive and the negative aspects of each character that makes them believable. They are fallible and imperfect.
- great plot and writing style;
- nice – though predictable – ending.

Negatives

- alternating third person viewpoint, except Amanda’s. Even the babysitter has her own POV, why not Amanda?
- cheating – unnecessary. The plot would have been totally intact even without it.
- some clichés and
Alycia (aly_reads)
Cette lecture n'a pas vraiment eu d'impact sur moi. Je ne peux pas dire que j'ai adoré ce roman, mais je ne l'ai pas non plus détesté. Disons que c'était une lecture plaisir, sans prise de tête et sans véritable questionnement ou remise en question de la part du lecteur.
L'intrigue n'est pas très morale, on peut le dire, et pas très élaborée non plus. Les personnages sont plutôt faibles, mielleux et sans grande profondeur. Autant, il y a des romans chick lit> que j'ai beaucoup apprécié, parce
Carrie
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i think the author might have been trying to steal/use the setting of "Enchanted April" for this book...instead of Londoners needing a break and heading to a villa in Italy, this one was Londoners needing a break and heading to a villa in Spain. i dont like spouses cheating in the storyline so i would have given it 1 star, but it took a turn three quarters of the way through the book that was good and a little redeeming it to 2 stars. but if you dont mind people cheating on their significant oth ...more
Sarah Swann
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so fun! I loved the characters and their dynamics with each other. I really didn't know how everything would wrap up, but I like the way that it ended. A fun contemporary!
VaultOfBooks
By Madeleine Wickham. Grade B
For those who don’t know, this is Sophie Kinsella writing under her real name. Being a huge fan of Sophie’s stand-alone books, I decided to check out her Madeleine Wickham books as well.
Romée Wanders
Wat een immense bullshit.

Chloe en Hugh zijn net twee irritante kleine kinderen die je wil doodslaan.
Philip en Amanda zijn misschien niet de perfecte partners maar wat een immense little shits.
Alle kinderen
DENK AAN DE KINDEREN

Jenna omschreef Hugh prachtig:
"Zonde van de ruimte. Typische Engelse kerel. Geen emoties, geen humor, niks."
Waarom zijn we allemaal verliefd op hem????
Hij is een shitty vader, al huilt hij de hele tijd dat dat niet zijn schuld is (uh-uh gurl) en een waardeloze husband. Wat e
JoAnn
Nov 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-read
Did not like this very much . . . Madeleine Wickham may be Sophie Kinsella but Sophie Kinsella is the much better writer! It seems as if Madeleine Wickham likes to deal with more serious issues and she doesn't do that good a job of it. She really should stick with the wacky, funny, ridiculous characters she creates as Sophie. Or maybe she's just bipolar and the Madeleine part is depressive. It's one to skip.
Tasha
Not at all that interesting. The story was dry and pointless. Chloe and Hugh, who were once in relationship meet up again 10 years later, and they are both involved with other people. The only bright spot of this book was Jenna, the nanny. I won't go into great detail but the story just ends rather abruptly. There was no kind of resolve, just a rush to finish the book. A waste of time, I don't think I'll be trying anything by this author in the future.
Sharon Kaur
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sleeping Arrangements by Madeleine Wickham

Just one word .

(view spoiler)

Lidia
Jul 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a difficult time getting into this book. The characters weren't very interesting or involved, so I didn't develop any empathy for them and their stories. I thought it ended abrubtly and since I read the whole book, I was hoping for more closure. The only redeeming part of this book was the son Sam's relationship with the Jenna, the nanny. His awkwardness about losing his virginity was both humourous and igry.
Kasi
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly fun! Not the best book Wickham has written, by far, and more for the maturing audience (Hen-Lit, instead of Chick-Lit), which is a step away from her norm. But, still witty and fun. Super easy summer read...taking place in HOT SULTRY SUMMERY SPAIN! So, grab a sangria and sip away the afternoon!
Avanthika
May 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if Madeleine Wickham is Sophie Kinsella's alter who expresses the latter's subconscious thoughts. Only God knows why Sophie Kinsella, sorry, I mean Madeleine Wickham chose to romanticize cheating. Really disappointed.
Elena
I gave it 2* and thought it was ok because it flowed and was a quick read - it was not boring ... However - it would probably be closer to a 1.5* due to the following:
(view spoiler)
Laurajane Barber
After finishing Twenties Girl the other day, I was still in the mood for some good chick-lit. Having read all of Sophie Kinsella's novels, I decided to check out her novels under her real name, Madeleine Wickham. I went for the cheapest of the Nook books, Sleeping Arrangements.

This novel lacks the sophistication and the light-heartedness of her later novels as Kinsella. The story is of two families that are vacationing at a mutual friend's Spanish villa. He "accidentally" double-booked and as it
gille
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiftyfiftyme
Sleeping Arrangements was what I expected. It is typical Wickham, which I enjoy, so there isn't much to say. It wasn't too obvious, which was nice.

Chloe is a dressmaker in a long-term partnership with her guy Philip. They and their two children are about to embark on a much needed holiday to Spain, they have much stress in their lives and are looking forward to the getaway. Hugh and Amanda are married with two little girls and live a very different lifestyle than Chloe and Philip. Their worlds
Janna
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again I enjoyed Madeleine Wickham's book hugely. It was a very touching story about life itself, about love, past and about family. Of course there was the holiday factor and I think we all have had at leas one totally messed up holiday. I'm quite young still, the same age as Chloe and Hugh were when they first met so I couldn't really put myself into their shoes but still this was an amazing story.

The book itself was very quick paced so I read it really quickly. It took me about three day
Love Fool
Ummmm... was disappointed by this book. I liked the idea of the book but she just didn't execute it well. I'm not going to hate on it like a lot of people did but I will recommend to read her other books before this one.
Whitney
Nov 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't hold my interest. Since this is by Sophie Kinsella, I expected a fun, quick, engrossing read. Not so. Couldn't get into the random characters or story.
Marivi Sanz
The premise was fun. Two families in dire need of vacations are double-booked at a mutual friend's villa in Spain. Hugh and Chloe had met fifteen years ago and had had a relationship that ended when he couldn't cope with the idea of her already having a baby, so he disappeared from her life. And now they meet again in an isolated villa in the south of Spain.

This could have been a fun one. The characters are somehow relatable and flawed. Phillip is an anxious man terrified by the wait until he's
Claire
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Sophie Kinsella. So I was excited to discover a whole new set of books by her writing under Madeline Wickham. This book was definitely a treat and exactly what I was hoping for. The characters were a bit different than I'm used to. They certainly weren't Becky Bloomwood/Brandon, but if I wanted to read a Shopaholic book, I would pick one of the many there are up. I did find some of the plot pieces a bit obscure. The nanny was definitely a character I had a hard time caring about. I simply ...more
Redfox5
While I did like this book, it wasn't as good as other Kinsella books I've read. It was a very average chick lit.

Two families end up being double booked into the same Villa, which actually sounds like a bloody mansion rather than a Villa from the way it's described. They decide to just get on with it and enjoy their holiday but Chloe and Hugh go way back.

They end up rekindling their relationship with a dirty afternoon in the local village. This bit of the story got on my neves somewhat, especi
Eline
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Hmm I was a little bit disappointed after reading this book. I love books by Sophie Kinsella (Madeleine Wickham) because they are funny, witty and have unexpected twists and turns. This book didn't seem to offer me those things. It was long and there wasn't much variation. It seemed to go on and on without something happening. We have two main characters, Chloe and Hugh, and their families on a strange holiday. Because of a "misunderstanding" they are booked in the same villa in Spain for the sa ...more
Manny Soto
A lot of people didn't really enjoy this book and from what I've heard from those people, I went in with low expectations. However, having read some of the author's work in the past, writing under another name but still, I should have had higher hopes.

This book simply amazing. Just what I needed right now. True, it's not some deep, multi-layered piece of literature, but it is perfect as it is: it is exciting, it is cheeky (much cheekier than the author's work under the name Sophie Kinsella, whic
Merja Pohjola
I felt an old/old-fashioned mother when I read this! Or is it Finland??? First of all, I found it appalling that the supposedly "good" parents let their 15-year all drink and have sex with a young - but still an adult - woman. Everybody is drinking and smoking joints... not the world I live in! To think Sean would drink in front of me and say hey I'm gonna go have sex with this adult girl behind the house ... would never happen. Is this reality these days? Oh well, I am not one to lecture, but I ...more
  • Six Geese A-Laying
  • The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • Dune Road
  • How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
  • The Sleeping Beauty Proposal
  • The Sweetest Taboo
  • The Debutante Divorcee
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Madeleine Wickham...
“I'll never stop wondering, you know. What could have been. If we'd stayed together, all those years ago. We might have come here to this villa, as husband and wife. With Sam. I might have had Sam as my son."
"You might."
"We might have had six children together."
"Six! I'm not sure about that."
"The worst things is... The worst thing is, we probably would have become discontented. After a few years. We probably would have lain here in the sun, feeling a little bored, wondering if we did the right thing in marrying each other. Not realizing how bloody lucky we were..."
"It's late. We should get some rest."
"We make so many decisions over a lifetime. Some turn out to be unimportant...and some turn out to be the key to everything. If only we knew their significance at the time. If only we knew what we were throwing away.”
2 likes