Start by marking “The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13; Harry Bosch Universe, #16)

The Overlook (Harry Bosch #13)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  28,941 Ratings  ·  1,513 Reviews
In his first case since he left the LAPD's Open Unsolved Unit for the prestigious Homicide Special squad, Harry Bosch is called out to investigate a murder that may have chilling consequences for national security. A doctor with access to a dangerous radioactive substance is found murdered in the trunk of his car. Retracing his steps, Harry learns that a large quantity of ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Overlook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overlook

James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I first read this story when it was serialized in the New York Times Magazine. Following that, Connelly expanded the story and published it as a novel. I remember enjoying the serialized version, but, as one would expect, the novel winds up being a fuller and richer experience.

As the story opens, Detective Harry Bosch has just been reassigned to the L.A.P.D.'s prestigious Homicide Special Squad. He's sitting up at midnight, waiting for his first call out. When it comes, he's directed to a homici
Lyn
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Michael Connelly has made a name for himself by creating the characters Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller.

In The Overlook, Connelly’s 2007 entry into the Harry Bosch files, the mystery writer takes on a case where Bosch must work with the FBI in a suspected terrorist case.

This is the 13th Harry Bosch novel (Connelly began the series with The Black Echo in 1992) and the LAPD detective again demonstrates his Holmes-esque attention to detail and also his inability to follow bureaucratic rules. Connelly
Carol
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fiction
2 stars – It was neither good not bad. As my younger friends say meh!

The most exciting thing that happened in this Harry Bosch novel was learning a bit about the radioactive material cesium and what could happen if it were used in a terrorist plot. All seemed too familiar, like the same old. A short story that seemed rushed. What saved The Overlook from becoming a DNF was the continued fine performance by Len Cariou in narration.
Jonetta
Harry Bosch now works in the Robbery-Homicide Division in the Homicide Special unit follow the events of Echo Park. He's got a new partner, Ignacio Ferras, and their first case is the murder of a medical physicist. Because the case also involves the theft of some radioactive materials, the FBI and other alphabet agencies want to control the case that Harry first sees as a homicide.

This is Connelly's most nimbly-written story to date and that made a big difference in my enjoyment. I finished lis
Carol.
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Connelly
Shelves: male-lead, thriller, meh
I don't often read from the fiction bestseller list and I periodically wonder what I'm missing. When a Connelly (oops, not John Connolly) book came my way, I was looking for a light headache distraction and thought it might do the trick. To absolutely no one's surprise, I discovered I'm not really missing anything that would cater to my own palate. This is the Arby's of the fast food world: seemingly meaty but rather bland (unlike Nihilist Arby's).

Harry is apparently back in action with LAPD wi
Mark
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better detective story
Michael Connelly does his token terrorism story. And it would not be true to him to make it a political mess and power struggle among the various organisations that want to show the world and their constituency how great they are at the wheel of a real threat. Among them Harry Bosch with a new partner that just wants to solve a the murder that starts of the whole story. And Harry gets mighty annoyed when the murder is considered less important than the threat of some terrorism.

As always Connelly
Brent
Jun 04, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Connelly Fans
Shelves: crimefiction
The Overlook is Connelly's latest Harry Bosch detective novel. The book was written as a 16 part serial novel for the New York Times Magazine and it shows. I'm a big Bosch fan and I always enjoy reading about him but I am a little disappointed in this book. As one might expect with a serial novel, many chapters are disjointed and Connelly does not focus on character development. Rachel Walling is again back in Bosch's life and while Connelly mentions the relationship, he doesn't do much to devel ...more
Obsidian
Eh. This was not my favorite Bosch. After a couple of home-runs with this series, this was definitely a disappointment. About half the length of his usual books, Connelly uses this to just show readers excerpts from his other books. I hit the finish line with this book at 74 percent I think. The remaining was just excerpts.

This felt and reads more like a short story. We have so many plot holes I don't even know which to begin with in "The Overlook." It's been a year since the events in "Echo Par
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Overlook is a much shorter Harry Bosch novel than the others I have read, in fact it felt a bit like a novella and it missed some of the characterisation we are used to from Michael Connelly. That said, it was all story and happened in real time so it had a bit of a different feel to the stories that take place across a week or so.

Harry Bosch is a fantastic character and for those who are yet to meet him, this wouldn’t be a terrible place to start. In The Overlook we see him battling for co
Rob
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number 13 in the Bosch series.
This book was short but sweet.
Harry back with the LAPD and a new partner.
Harry and his partner get called to a homicide on the Overlook at Mulholland Drive. Turns out that this is not just a homicide but could also be terrorist related. Because of the terrorist threat the FBI and OHS, OHS stands for Office of Homeland Security. The FBI and OHS take the case and leave Harry and his partner out in the cold. No way is Harry going to let this happen. Harry finds a witn
Alex Cantone
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge, crime
Ferras put the Blackberry down and turned back to his computer. Like many detectives he preferred to use his own laptop because the computers provided by the department were old and slow and most of them carried more viruses than a Hollywood Boulevard hooker.

The novella length The Overlook finds seasoned Detective Harry Bosch back in the Robbery/Homicide Division of LAPD, mentoring a young partner, Cuban-American Ignacio Ferras. Bosch is called out towards midnight to an execution-style murder
Robin
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, mystery
Harry Bosch is called out on his first case since being recruited to the Homicide Special Squad. The body of Dr. Stanley Kent has been found on the Overlook near Mulholland Drive. He was killed execution style. Harry and his new partner Ignacio Ferras are just starting to put the pieces of the murder together when FBI Agent Rachel Walling shows up. She wants information about the murder, but doesn't want to give up anything in return. As Harry fights to keep jurisdiction over the murder, he disc ...more
Gary
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The 13th book in the Harry Bosch series.
Another great page turner that keeps you gripped to the very end.
This book was slightly different to the usual Michael Connelly recipe but this fast paced action packed novel certainly hits the spot. A little shorter than usual but nevertheless outstanding. Bring on number 14.
Checkman
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Bosch fans
Three and a half stars.

I like the Harry Bosch books. I don't read them all the time. It's been my experience that if I read novels featuring the same character back to back I become bored. It's like watching a long running series on television. It gets comfortable, but predictable.

About once a year I'll read one or two of the Bosch novels. As I wrote in my review of The Black Echo I was around when the series began in 92 and I like it.

So last Saturday a local library was having it's annual boo
Pat
Mar 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
I can't believe Connelly wrote this book. Bosch asks "what is a person of interest." That's just one of a dozen annoying instances where Bosch is clueless as to what's going on. Then his antagonism with the FBI is childish. He, of course, turns out to be right and the FBI wrong. This is just not up to Connelly's usual great writing. I really do suspect it was ghosted.
Dagny
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: connelly-michael
Fabulous read! The details and possible ramifications of the case were fascinating. For the first third or so of the book, it wasn't a frantic read for me and I was able to sit back and enjoy Connelly's highly readable style and expert plotting. Then it became frantic.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, crime-fiction
While bumming around Chicago-saw a church book sale. SWEET!!!!!! Huge bag of goodies for $20-actually 16, but it is a church-so donated the change. I even bought a vintage Russian novel-though I cannot read it-i so adore the dust cover art, and the color plates of the story.
Josh
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, own, read_2013
While being the 13th book to feature Harry Bosch, THE OVERLOOK is a great way to introduce new readers to the series long running character. THE OVERLOOK resumes Harry’s career in law enforcement tracking down murderers whilst working homicide. He’s got a new partner and a new case which looks very LA Noire on the surface, yet looks can be deceiving.

An execution style murder on the Mulholland overlook becomes much more when a link with a radioactive chemical is established and a plot involving t
Freda Malone
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super quick read of Bosch and FBI agent Rachel Walling, involving cesium, a murder, and a ton of red herrings. This could have been the perfect murder but when you have a detective like Harry Bosch, the perfect murder isn't so perfect.

I have a few mixed feelings about this book and series now. I love Bosch as a main character. His uncanny way of solving crimes is terrific. However, he is being bounced to different departments in the district every time I pick up the next Bosch novel.
Jim
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry is back on the murder squad & butting heads with the FBI. Pretty typical, yet a whole new interesting story. Well written & read. Nothing too far out of the ordinary, so there's not much sense in going on.

Note that I list this as 17th in the Harry Bosch Universe, not the 15th as listed below. Next up are 3 short stories. I've found they're important to read in order, if possible.

16 - Echo Park (Harry Bosch #12), 2006
17 - The Overlook (Harry Bosch #13), 2007
17.4 - Father’s Day (200
Linda J
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rabid Connelly fans only - newbies stay away.
Shelves: michael-connelly
I couldn't understand why this book lacked the depth of previous Harry Bosch novels until I learned it had been serialized in a magazine and then published as a book. The book read like someone held a gun to Connelly's head and demanded triple-time story development and resolution.

I don't know why Connelly even gave Bosch a LAPD partner but I guess LAPD protocol required it. Iggy, the partner in this book, was a new one and essentially ignored - Bosch generally had him running errands, offscreen
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
Connelly is a master of misdirection in this thrilling mystery where nothing can be taken at face value. Bosch is called out to a murder scene and the FBI quickly becomes involved when terrorists are suspected of stealing cesium to mount an attack. There are a lot of lies and backstabbing between Bosch and the FBI but Bosch ultimately solves the murder. Extremely well-written!
Rob Twinem
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Harry Bosch is called to the scene of a murder on the "Overlook" a high location in LA which offers stunning views of the city of angels. It soon becomes apparent that renowned physicist Dr. Stanley Kent was shot twice in the back of the head, all the marks of a professional killing. Very quickly the FBI are involved  in the form of Bosch's on/off lover Rachel Walling. It would appear that not only is this a murder scene but a hazardous  radioactive element "cesium" remains unaccounted for presu ...more
Joe Santoro
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I've seen this series alot with various people on goodreads and elsewhere, so I thought I'd give one a shot. Connelly seems a pretty good writer, as this is definitely a page turning mystery that a can very clearly see as being an entertaining episode of a CSI-ish TV show.

I didn't find Bosch to be particularly engaging though, he seems grumpy for the sake of it, and his intuitive leaps seem to be kinda out of nowhere in some cases, and blind luck in others. There didn't seem to be much of a supp
Lauren
The Overlook
3.5 Stars

Detective Harry Bosch is newly assigned to the elite Robbery-Homicide division when he is called in to what initially appears to be a routine case - a man has been found shot to death in the Hollywood Hills. Things soon take a disturbing turn when it is revealed that the victim had access to radioactive materials and that the motive may be terror related. As Bosch and FBI agent Rachel Walling race against time to locate the killers and the missing Cesium, they will have to t
Eric_W
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fine audiobook featuring Harry Bosch. I really like them in spite of disliking the main character. He's arrogant and can be a real SOB, almost impossible to work with. As an example, he refuses to call his partner Iggy, even though asked often to do so by Ignasio, who much prefers Iggy. Now why would you not call someone by the name they prefer?

This one is relatively short involving the theft of Cesium, ostensibly by terrorists to create a dirty bomb. The FBI and the LAPD's terrorism squ
Gary
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little loose, but fast-paced. A fine adventure.
Richard
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
6/10

Possibly the weakest Bosch I've read to date, easily in the worst 3. The reason for this is twofold; it's a short novel coming in about half as long as his others and doesn't let Bosch get his teeth sunk into the case. It's also like a token take on terrorism, maybe his agent/editor suggested it and he thought why not. Bosch is best at plain old murder.

There are flaws in this novel and it didn't grab me like a normal Bosch novel would but it's still got some good parts and recurring charact
Linda
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I love this series. Michael Connelly has created a character that I like a lot, Detective Harry Bosch. I like his looks, his house in the hills and the view at night from his patio, I like the jazz music he listens to when he needs to unwind, his wit, his cleverness, the fact that he's a tough guy, his knowledge of his job, the way he loves his women...there isn't much not to like.

The last book was cold cases and in this one, previously retired Bosch is back on the job as Detective Bosch and we
❆ Crystal ❆
This is the shortest Harry Bosch book yet... weighing in at 240 pages it was still the bomb! I don't feel this book skimped at all in any department. The crime was intense, the investigation wild and a bit scary... Harry is ticking people off left and right, but guess what? Harry is the MAN! Everyone just needs to get out of his way and let him figure it all out. I thought it was perfect and I loved it.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 10 Mar 31, 2017 02:32AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 6 Mar 30, 2017 06:20PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 5 Mar 30, 2017 06:18PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 4 5 Mar 30, 2017 06:15PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 4 5 Mar 30, 2017 06:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 4 5 Mar 30, 2017 06:13PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 4 5 Mar 30, 2017 06:08PM
  • Demolition Angel
  • Naked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #14)
  • Compulsion (Alex Delaware, #22)
  • Set in Darkness (Inspector Rebus, #11)
  • A Morning for Flamingos (Dave Robicheaux #4)
  • Nothing to Lose (Jack Reacher, #12)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“He didn’t understand why he always saw people typing feverishly on their phones. He was sure it was some sort of warning, a sign of the decline” 0 likes
“the computers provided by the department were old and slow and most of them carried more viruses than a Hollywood Boulevard hooker.” 0 likes