Start by marking “To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)” as Want to Read:
To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)

To Desire a Devil

(Legend of the Four Soldiers #4)

NOTHING IS MORE INTOXICATING

Reynaud St. Aubyn has spent the last seven years in hellish captivity. Now half mad with fever he bursts into his ancestral home and demands his due. Can this wild-looking man truly be the last earl's heir, thought murdered by Indians years ago?

OR DANGEROUS

Beatrice Corning, the niece of the present earl, is a proper English miss. But she has a
Published October 14th 2009 by Vision

To ask other readers questions about To Desire a Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Desire a Devil

Rane
May 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian-era
After seven years of captivity Reynaud St.Aubyn finally makes it home, but to a home much different then the one he left, now to reclaim all that is rightfully his, he'll need to prove not only his he not mad, but to have a woman marry him and quickly, as he's drawn to the gentle and calm Beatrice Corning. He feels a deep pull toward Beatrice as Reynaud must fight off his demons to claim more then his wealth back but love......

I’ve looked forward to this book for sometime and was disappointed
Jilly
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The hero in this book was supposedly dead for the last 7 years, but he's back, baby!!! Umm,,,, but he's not the same as he used to be. In fact he is more like this:

Than this:

Okay, those gifs aren't going to age well. But, hey, they mean something today.

Yeah, he's wild, angry, mean, and given to violence. So, he's about as sexy as one of those baby-eating dingoes. It was hard for me to see him as a romantic lead.

On the other hand, his heroine is boring, practical, and about as exciting as milk. N
Fani *loves angst*
Readers who've read the previous books in the series, would want to read this one that conludes the search for the traitor of Spinners Falls and brings all the previous couples together. Other than that, there is little to recommend this book.

The hero, Reynaud St Aubyn, was considered dead. However, this book starts with his sudden appearence at the heroine's political party. The heroine's uncle is the current Earl of Blanchard, the title that would normally belong to the hero. Reynaud, coming
willaful
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
This was hard to rate, because my feelings for it went all over the place. One chapter I'd be admiring an interesting secondary character or enjoying a hot love scene, the next I'd be going, "huh?" So this is one of those "darn, it could have been so much better" three star ratings, rather than one of those "It was good, I liked it" three star ratings.

Uneven plotting is the book's biggest flaw. I hate when a great deal of narrative attention is paid to something that turns out to be unimportant
Ridley
Reynaud St. Aubyn has been traveling for months trying to get home to England after seven years in Indian captivity during the French and Indian war. Fevered and confused, he bursts into what was his father's London townhome and demands in angry French to see his father before collapsing.

Beatrice Corning, the niece of and hostess for the current earl of Blanchard, was presiding over a dull political tea for her uncle when Reynaud unceremoniously crashed the party. Despite the disheveled clothing
Verity
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoyt-elizabeth
Darn, I really hate to say this but I will : TDAD may be the least sexy / romantic book featuring the most unappealing hero EH’s penned to date. There’s a plethora of unlikeable aspects here. The male model on the inside cover (buff & fuller-face hero) looks nuthin’ like the thin Viscount Hope (inky black hair, sooty eyelashes, gaunt cheeks, iron cross dangling from 1 ear, tattooed right eye). Ok so I don’t expect the model to look skeletal like Christian Bale in “The Machinist” (where he re ...more
Duchess Nicole
A somewhat disappointing ending to such a great series. For the most part, I just felt like the story itself and the characters were very blah. Nothing really exciting about them, nothing much exciting happened, other than a nice little gathering of all of the characters from the previous three books. I did have a few minor points to make about Reynaud and Beatrice.

I felt like Reynaud was on the attack for the entirety of the story. He never lets up. He lets his captivity define him, and comes b
Katie(babs)
To Desire a Devil is the final book in Elizabeth Hoyt’s Legend of the Four Soldiers Series. I’ve really enjoyed the series as a whole and I really recommend her books for readers who are looking for wonderfully romantic historical romances. I was anticipating this final book because it’s about a character who has been mentioned since the very beginning of the series. Reynaud St. Aubyn has had a big presence and now his own story has been told in To Desire a Devil.

Beatrice Corning is an orphan sp
Wicked Incognito Now
I think that Elizabeth Hoyt tops the list of really good emotional/angsty type historical romance authors.

I LOVED The Raven Prince and the following books in that series. Hoyt became an instant "auto-buy" author for me after that series.

This series, the four soldiers series, has not been my favorite. The other three books in the series were pretty good...just not memorable.

However, I really did not like this book. It started out well with the return of a war hero thought dead for the last four
KarenH
I'm sorry to see all the negative reviews for this book because I really enjoyed it. Then again, I listened to the audiobook and the narrator, Anne Flosnik, is one of the best in the business, so maybe I had an edge there. But I did warm up to the hero, Reynaud St. Abryn, right away (as soon as he shaved, lol). Seriously, I felt so sorry for him...as if fighting in the war wasn't enough, he's held in captivity for seven more years! All he could think about was going home, which gave him the reas ...more
Zoe
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the lowest rating I have ever given to a Elizabeth Hoyt book. And I gave it with a heavy heart.

First of all it took me 2 months to read the book. I read all the 3 previous books in the series and thought they were fine books. Nothing that blew me away but good stuff. This book, while written in the Hoyt style fluid proses, dragged on. The below comments are my personal opinions and the difficulties I experienced in reading this book may be exist for other people. Please read the review
Keri
This is the last book in the series and again another very good read. Beatrice Corning is having her own little political tea party when a wild looking man bursts in and claims that he is Reynaud St. Aubyn, Lord Hope. Reynaurd was thought to be killed in an ambush 7 years ago. But instead he had been a captive and slave until he escaped and made his way back to England.

He has been advised that he wouldn't look like such a crazy man if he would take a wife. So when Reynaud starts making advances
Maureen Feeney
Ruth
This was something of a disappointment to me. I enjoyed the others in the series to varying degrees, and I loved the overall premise of the series and this one, in particular. The hero is also fabulous - suffering to an awful extreme for 7 years, and deprived of everything he holds dear, scarred both physically and mentally. He returns a bitter, unpleasant, vicious, savage man, determined to regain what was taken, regardless of whom he walks over to get it. Great stuff.

I had two problems really.
Xendula
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Since there was no courting and no romance, and the protagonists jumped straight into bed (unbelievable considing her social status, the time they live in, and the fact that she had never done it before), this book seemed Iike a series of erotic scenes, interspersed with "he loves me/he loves me nots", torture scenes, and clumsy PTSD incidents. I got this as an audioook and actually had to laugh out loud at when he suddenly sees everyone as soldiers and "Indians".

I never felt like Reynaud deser
kris
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reynaud St. Aubyn, Viscount Hope, Earl of Blanchard, Blah Blah Blah, is back from the dead! He stumbles into his father's house and collapses, raving in French. Will the innocent, beautiful Beatrice Corning be able to soothe this horrible beast, especially in light of the blatant racism?

1. Going back to read an earlier Hoyt while waiting for my library holds to come in was a mistake.

2. This was emphatically NOT. GOOD. Rushed, sloppy, horribly developed, racist (those Natives! just murdering and
Gilgamesha
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked the plot....of your a means to an end....to your a means to an end I am really in lust with....to I am madly in love with you....I actually understood the hero and his struggles very well....his behavior is consistent with his traumatic experiences you cannot expect a human being to go through so much and still behave...politely...or know social etiquettes or even care about it....despite the rawness of the love scenes I loved the possessiveness of the hero....his absolute certa ...more
Anna
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reynaud St. Aubyn has just returned home after 7 long years of being held captive. Tortured and half crazy, he can't comprehend why there are strangers in his home and with his title. But then he meets Beatrice the niece of the new Earl and he is drawn to her like no other.

All through the first three books it's known (at least at the time) and assumed that Reynaud St. Aubyn died in the American Colonies. Tortured and killed by Indians. This event was witnessed by his friend and fellow soldiers.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fourth and final installment to the Legend of the Four Soldiers series by Elizabeth Hoyt. After believed dead for the last seven years, Reynaud St. Aubyn finally makes it home. There he meets Beatrice Corning, the niece of the present Earl of Blanchard, a title that actually belongs to Reynard.

Wonderful ending to the Four Soldier series. But I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't a little more action/suspense towards the end. It was wrapped up a little too easy and quietly to me. But
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Iza
Short review (sorry, I'm at work !) : an excellent novel by one of my favourite authors. The hero was not one that will attract the masses, but I got what he's been through so it was logical he became what he is.
Excellent story, excellent characters, excellent series, excellent writer !
Jen Davis
This is easily my least favorite Elizabeth Hoyt book. They can’t all curl my toes, I know, but I had a hard time rousing any excitement for this romance. It’s the last book in the Legend of the Four Soldiers series, so it had some good things going in wrapping up the larger arc. But, frankly, the hero did absolutely nothing for me and the relationship development felt virtually nonexistent.

Hoyt has been telling us about Reynaud St. Aubyn since book 1. He was supposed to be dead, but his memory w
Brooke Springer
Disappointed...good story but I was hoping for more from the male character, he wasn't even likeable
Annie ⚜️
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The of the four soldiers series. I'm a completionist or I wouldn't have forced my way through these. I just wasn't fan of the stories or the characters. This was one of the better ones but really by the end I lost track of who it was betrayed them at Spinner's Falls.
Susana
Honestly, i think that the series could have done without this story...
Lets say that i disliked this one, as much as i liked the previous two books. (FYI, i loved them...)
I'm not going to say that there's anything wrong with the writing of this story. Because there wasn't. But as a reader i've reached a point where reading about thick headed, aka alpha males bullies just makes me want to smash their heads with a very heavy object. There, i've admitted it.
And reading about idiotic females also do
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
The flashback Reynaud has of his capture in America is crazy, you feel so bad for him. Reynaud is turning out to be a crazy complex interesting character.

***Seether song "Broken" really fits the character of Reynaud. I keep hearing it in the background.***

Oh sad, the character of Jeremy is heartbreaking!There were some great secondary characters, like Beatrice's friend Lottie. At the beginning I liked the extra storyline of Lottie and the problems she was having with her hubby but the author
Lauren
To Desire a Devil
5 Stars

Held captive in the Colonies for seven years, Reynaud St. Aubyn finally escapes and makes his way home to England only to learn that his title, home and money have been bestowed on a distant relative in his absence. Scarred and tortured, Reynaud will do everything and anything in his power to regain his birthright but the traitor responsible for the attack on his regiment has other plans.

An excellent resolution to the series. Beatrice and Reynaud relationship is physical
Kate
I don't know...Elizabeth Hoyt just doesn't do it for me. I SHOULD like it. This trope usually works for me. Our hero, Reynaud (LOL at the name Reynaud. I think of Reynaud's Syndrome...must just be the nurse in me coming out) is a scarred (mentally and physically) war veteran and major ass-hat. Our virginal spinster heroine Beatrice is kind and lovely. The ton thinks hero is crazy, therefore to make him seem less crazy, he decides to take a wife. Murder, intrigue, and of course the questioning of ...more
Nidofito
So we've come to the disappointing end of a disappointing series...

I basically read this book so I could finish the series. I wasn't particularly interested in this couple (Why can't dead people stay dead?) and theirs was a relationship that might be borderline lust/crush that didn't convince me. The mystery and identity of the traitor was a bust as well. And that secondary H/h was unnecessary.

The book cemented its low rating when the H/h first had sex, he continued on despite her being in pain/
Danette Steward
3.5 Finished the series! Personally, I thought the 3rd book To Beguile a Beast was the best. All the heroes are a little cool to their heroines, but this 4th book was especially chilly. Hero seemed too tortured and I didn't think he quite cared for the heroine like he should have.....not until the end. It was entertaining enough and finally solved the big mystery of who the traitor was......even though it was somewhat anti-climatic to me. I recommend the whole series and it should be read IN ORD ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 01:06PM

• Captive of Sin
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • Don't Tempt Me (Fallen Women, #2)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • A Season of Seduction (James Family, #3)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Legend of the Four Soldiers (4 books)
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
“Shh,” he whispered. “You asked me if I loved you. I do. I love you more than life itself. Nothing matters in this world but that you live. Can you do that for me? Can you live?” 22 likes
“To fight demons, one must assume the guise of a demon” 6 likes