Start by marking “Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation” as Want to Read:
Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation

Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  418 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Las Vegas. Lost Wages. Sin City. An artificial oasis of pleasure, spectacle, and entertainment, the gambling capital of America has reinvented itself so many times that its doubtful that anyone knows for sure what's real and what isn't in the miles of neon and scorching heat. Las Vegas is considered the ultimate players destination-no matter what your game. Almost anything ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Forge Books (first published 2005)

Patti
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
As with most anthologies, there are stories you love, stories that are OK, and stories that were pretty damn stupid.

I really liked 3 stories. Thought two were pretty damn stupid. The rest were OK.
JL Hall
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was painful. It is a collection of stories and only a few were really enjoyable. The remainder alternated between terrible and ridiculous. I like Michael Connelly but I was embarrassed for him that his name was on this. My advice is to read one of his books and to skip this anthology
Kevin Shoop
May 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Grade: D

It was painful but I made it through this collection of poorly-written short stories. A few were average, most were poor, and many were laughably bad.
Nanette
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plenty of stories about murder
John
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not his best. Very predictable.
Lisa
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just ok
robert a boardman
Can't believe what I just read.

Normally it takes me one or two days to read a book. Usually a novel from Michael Connelly takes less time. This particular book took me more than three weeks and at times I was tempted to not finish it. Thankfully it was comprised of numerous short stories that were easier to get through. I gave this book three stars because some of the stories were okay; none were great; and some were down right terrible. Thankfully these stories were supposedly edited by Connell
Zach
Okay. It seems especially difficult to write satisfying short mystery stories. Many of these stories seemed to end abruptly or have endings that seemed to convenient as if the writers was just attempting to wrap things up. Others were good not so much for the story, but for the mood or feeling they conveyed.

Some of these are very good and have caused me to want to read more from that author, others are rather weak.

Ryan Mishap
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I bought this for my dad as a present and it wound up back with me at some point. Like any collection in the mystery genre (or any, actually) there's a few good little tales, a couple more action/suspense oriented,a nd a couple that should've been taken out back, shot, then buried. Short stories should be crafty with at least one twist, here in the murder/crime genre that is especially so. Alas, Connelly only edits and doesn't provide a story. Drat.
Dennis
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a Michael Connelly fan but was disappointed with this book. It is a compilation of short stories some of which were good some imho really bad. The central thread is supposed to be Vegas but I could see much Vegas in some of them. It seemed like this was maybe Connelly's way of exposing some not so well known authors to the public but I think I will stick with proven successful ones I just don't have the patience for discovery.
Jim A
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Like any collection of short stories, some are very good, some are good, and some weren't that great. This was no different. I do like the twists at the end of most stories, however.

On the plus side, I have made note of authors I want to try in the near future, and on the negative side, I have found a couple that I won't bother.

Everyone's mileage varies when it comes to what is worth their reading time.

Kathy
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: haveread
This is a compilation of short mystery stories. Michael Connelly only does the forward. Some of these dozen or so stories were OK, all were short, some were not so good. At the end of the book I read about all of the contributing authors and they each and all were prize-winning authors. I am really into reading Michael Connelly-type murder mysteries, so I enjoyed it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book, but I enjoyed reading it during my 2nd and 3rd snow day this week...!
Billye
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Las Vegas and fans of Las Vegas who like crime writing
Shelves: reviews
I picked this up because I love all things Las Vegas and I love a good mystery. I am very glad that this book announces that it is a collection of crime stories and not noir stories because I find that distinction to be critical. This collection of tales is varied and some are much more well crafted than others. Overall, I enjoyed it very much, partly because I really wanted to like it.
comfort
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Compilation of stories centered around Las Vegas and Love, Gambling, Loss and murder.

I like the occasional compilation as I get to read authors I probably wouldn't try. Also short stories are usually tight and to the point as the whole story has to grab you in the first few paras. (or pages at least to make you continue reading.
Louann
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This was ok. It is a compilation of over many short stories by other authors and EDITED by Michael Connelly. Most of the stories were good, some I did not finish due to the amount and quality of profanity was distracting to the story. Only one author, Lise McClendon, did I actually look up to see what else she wrote.....sadly, no books on CD available from her.
Suby
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Its a collection of short stories, all based n Las Vegas, written by several authors over several years and now edited into a single book by Connelly. As with all short story collections this book too contains some memorable stories and several mediocre ones.Some are simply forgettable.
Tim
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Overall, I expected the short stories to be of better quality than they were. While there are a handful of good stories, more than a fair share lack top notch interest and far less interesting than novels because some stories are too short. 5 of 10 stars
Kim Dixon
Most of the stories were boring and couldn't keep my attention. I wouldn't recommend wasting time reading this book. On the positive side, I will look for full length novels by some of the 22 authors, and give those a chance.
Eileen133
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
It was hard to give this an overall rating because it is a series of short stories edited by Michael Connelly. Some were very good and others were at the other end of the spectrum. I guess I like longer stories(novels) where I get more involved with the characters.
Marcia
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories based in Las Vegas. A few are very good, most are ok, and a few are crummy. I like the short story genre because it requires just a little time on my part.
Jacquelin Siegel
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Michael Connelly, why oh why did you allow your name to be associated with this book? Poorly written stories with little to redeem it.
John
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: connelly
Short stories by unknown authors. Not satisfying
Andrew
Dec 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Uneven collection of short crime novellas set in Vegas...Some are very good, others, not so much.
Susan
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Murder in Vegas is a compilation of stories by different authors. Some were good others were marginal.
Steve Larson
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Short story collection of varying quality, I found it easy and fun to read since all stories spoke to the mood and environment of Las Vegas.
Julie
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There wasn't a single story in here I liked.
Phillis
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were some good stories. Stories of greed, betrayal, and money. Not all stories start in Vegas but they sure end there.
Tony
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected, but I can't knock the short stories themselves too badly. Some were good. Some put me so sleep. Would not waste your time with this book.
Kelly Moore
Jul 09, 2015
Deb Saunders
Jan 08, 2017
  • The Eighty-Minute Hour
  • Juggling for the Complete Klutz
  • Artifact of Evil (Greyhawk Adventures, #2)
  • Homegoing
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • The Mosaic Crimes (Dante Alighieri, #2)
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
  • Las Vegas Noir
  • Playgrounds of the Mind
  • The Timothy Files
  • Dangerous Women
  • Manhattan Noir
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2010
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
  • Battle Circle (Battle Circle, #1-3)
  • Fathers and Daughters
  • Masterpieces: The Best Science Fiction of the Twentieth Century
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.’ Tom Jefferson rescinded those laws as soon as he became president.” 0 likes