Start by marking “Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)

Owlsight

(Valdemar: Owl Mage Trilogy #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  9,195 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Owlsight is the companion volume to Lackey & Dixon's most recent Valdemar novel, Owlflight, and follows the fortunes of Darien, who watched his mentor die as his own life was saved, and of the village he left, Errold's Grove—now safe from the barbarians under the watchful eyes of the Hawkbrothers—and of Keisha, a natural born healer, though not yet officially recognize ...more
Published by Penguin Putnam Inc USA (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Owlsight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owlsight

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Andrea
Lackey is one of my favorite authors ever! I started reading her Valdemar series in 8th grade but I will still pull out her books to reread them. I also love her work so much that I never miss the chance to buy her new stuff. This series was her last full Valdemar series and I’m sad to say I almost wish she hadn’t written it. This whole series just fell flat for me and although, as always her characters were great, the whole work just felt a bit formulaic.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While in many ways an enjoyable sequel to Owlflight, Owlsight is afflicted by awkward pacing and is weighed down by plodding descriptions of day-to-day activities. Like the first book in the series, it makes its slow and winding way to the last eighty pages or so, then rushes to an unsatisfying, too tidy ending.

All that saves the novel is its central characters. It picks up the story of Darian Firkin, now seventeen, as he returns to his new (temporary) home in k’Vala Vale with his adoptive Tayl
Jeremy Preacher
Owlsight is definitely more solid than Owlflight - less drama, more interesting worldbuilding without the tedious flashback-driven backstory. We get a cameo by Kerowyn, and really awkwardly-placed references to the rest of the main Mage Storms characters, which is nice but clumsy, and otherwise it's just a fairly solid YA adventure.

My main gripe with this series is the bizarre-in-context patriarchal assumptions. In a country where there is no sexism at all in the ruling class, it's jarringly out
Olga Godim
I liked it better than the first book in this series, Owlflight. I liked the characters, and the writing was good. I also liked the absence of the 'saving the world' trope, just a danger to one small village the heroes do their best to avert.
Veronica
A many-times reread, and a much more solid reading experience than the first book. Part of that is sentiment -- this was one of my favorite books as a teen, and I think the first Valdemar book I ever read -- but it's still enjoyable even now.
Kirsti
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book two in the Owl series, and we get introduced to some of the characters other than Darian and Snowfire that make this series so great. Keisha and Shandi are two of my favorites, and Keisha and her struggled with her gift I absolutely adored the first time around. Add to that all the usual Hawkbrothers and I adored this series, both as a teenager and now.

I can't wait to get into book three and read again about what happens with Darian and Keisha. Five stars.
Chuck
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 25 in the quest to read 100 books in a year. This is the second book in the "Owl" trilogy, which has also been rebranded as "Darain's Tale.'

The middle book in the trilogy is always the toughest. Darian is now a young adult and has been fully adopted into the Tayledras or Hawkbrother clan; he has been undergoing training both as a warrior and as a mage. He has found a home . . .

More interesting is the introduction of Keisha, who, following the death of Justyn (in the first book in the tri
Jessica Manalo
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dive into a story of love, conquest, and magic with the book, "Owlsight", a fiction story by Mercedes Lackey.

The amazing plot drew me in like a fish to water. Additionally, this story puts you into the main character's perspective. A healer with no idea how to use her gift(magic) to heal, named Keisha Alder and a young mage and apprentice to a deceased magician finding his way in life, named Darian.

Darian has been training to become a healing adept with the mysterious Hawkbrothers who took him i
Susan
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd book of the Owl... trilogy starts about 4 years after the happenings in book 1. Keisha Alder is introduced in this book - she has a Healing Gift, but is having trouble learning how to use it from reading books. Her Healer's empathy is driving her nuts living at home with several large noisy brothers, and a somewhat clingy mother. When her sister is Chosen and leaves, their mother's hysterics nearly drive her crazy, and she realizes she must move out of the house. She is using Justyn and ...more
Melissa Kidd
Here's another book that could be a 3.5 star if I rated that way (Maybe I really will start). It's not a four star due to the lack of ... something. But I did like it more than the first book Owlflight. Darian is more mature, there is another character, Keisha, introduced. I actually enjoyed reading about Keisha until the end where she became a little flatter as a character. Actually I didn’t like the ending anyways. These's book's endings all feel rushed. I think more of Lackey's books are exac ...more
agatha
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lackey's novels are, to me, the reading equivalent of a delicious snack. They're easy to read, they have some fun characters, and there's magic, talking (sort of) horses, adventures, heroes, and trained birds. An additional nice thing about these books was that they were among the first that introduced me to relationships other than just straight m/f. I take them out regularly for re-reads.

The Owl Mage trilogy is interesting because it steps outside Valdemar, although I think it's one of the les
Judy Hall
While Darien has been traveling with the Hawkbrothers and learning to become a Healer Adept for the past four years, Keisha has taken over the healing in the village. She has no formal training, but she is good and the Hawkbrothers have also watched over her when it comes to herbal remedies. Just as Darien is settling in to his new family's Vale, word comes that another set of barbarians are following the same path as the ones that killed Justin and brought Darien to the Hawkbrothers. It's decid ...more
Meg Watts
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Keisha and Darian each come of age and finds their places. I don't usually read coming-of-age YA type stories, but I find myself often making an exception if it's a Mercy Lackey book. The world building here is lush, almost too much so at times (hence the 4 stars rather than 5), the settings and peoples vivid and enchanting. New friends, new enemies, new magic.
P D
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, reasonably classic within the genre so if that's what you're in the mood for, this isn't a bad one to pick up. She's certainly more thoughtful about character representation than the more cookie cutter ones.
Riviera
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great! I love getting to know Keisha's character and seeing Darian grow into his new role! While this book wasn't very action packed I still found that I greatly enjoyed the story arc. I'm excited to read the next one!
Michael
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to the series. I enjoyed getting to know the characters from the first book better. I also enjoyed meeting and getting to know the new characters. I look forward to reading the next book.
Sandra Walker
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New People

Out of the many clans one decided to leave ; and find help for the Ghost Cat Clan. Summer Sickness had them travel far from home to look for healer's. Saved the Leaders youngest child and became heroes.
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Nothing really happens and there are the odd slight inconsistencies but I still love this book.
Autumn Holder
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mercedes Lackey, fantasy at its finest

Enter the land of Valdemar, where magic is real, horses talk, and gods walk among us. You won't be disappointed.
Linda Malcor
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The adventures of Darian continue. You can really start to see the outlines of the major figure he will become in Valdemar.
Josephine
It was an interesting tale, filled with adventure. I can't wait to see what the last book holds.
Rose
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, fantasy
Another fantasy novel with a whiny protagonist
Alicia
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing happened in the first 200+ pages. Pleasant read, but not gripping or particularly noteworthy.
Blake
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just... nothing of note whatsoever.
What a let down.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
I reviewed the paperback edition here .
Jacob
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great characters and story. Such a rich world. This book was a pleasure to read.
April
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Almost done with my chronological re-read of Valdemar, and I'm having a ton of fun with it! Darian as a young adult is a great character, and I really liked Keisha too.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
After four years of traveling, the Tayledras group returns to k’Vala, their home Vale, where Snowfire and Nightwind celebrate their wedding and Darian studies with an elderly Healing Master. He also enjoys getting to know the young people of the Vale (in at least one case, rather intimately.) But his thoughts are on the future: on a mysterious teacher he has been promised, and on his plans for k’Valdemar, the Vale he hopes will become a sort of Camp David for Valdemar and its Hawkbrother neighbo ...more
Jen A.
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #98 - Owlsight 1 1 Jun 17, 2015 02:11PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. #84 - Owlsight 1 1 Jun 04, 2014 12:42PM

• The Valdemar Companion
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Mind-Speaker's Call (Ghatti's Tale, #2)
  • Fifth Quarter (Quarters, #2)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • Competitions (The Blending, #2)
  • Power Play (Petaybee, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more

Valdemar: Owl Mage Trilogy (3 books)
  • Owlflight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Owlknight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #3)
“I'm so bad with people I can't even win an argument with myself.” 6 likes
“Anyone who thought this would be a weak point in the manor's defenses would have a rude surprise, shortly before coming down with a serious case of death.” 5 likes