Start by marking “Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)” as Want to Read:
Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)

Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  4,790 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
The Gypsy boy has asked for Di's help--called on for her magical assistance--and she could not refuse, especially after he was slain practically on her doorstep.

But the vampire Di finds cradling the body isn't the killer--he's the Gypsies' protector, Andre LeBrel, who informs Di that there's more than one monster stalking the streets of New York.

Now it's up to Diana Tregar
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published August 1990 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Night, please sign up.

Michelle hi Eli, Burning Water was published first, so it's listed as #1 on the author's website, amazon, and pretty much everywhere. however, Children of the…morehi Eli, Burning Water was published first, so it's listed as #1 on the author's website, amazon, and pretty much everywhere. however, Children of the Night takes place in the timeline before BW, so it may make more sense to read this one first.(less)

Gail Carriger
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the second in the Diana Tregarde series (but you don't have to have read the first). Lackey was writing Urban Fantasy before we called it that and this is one of her best. This book introduces Andree the sexy French vampire, one of the first hot vampires to enter my reading life. The romance between him and Diana (a strong and powerful witch) is adult, complex, and deeply moving. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Oriana
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I am 99% sure this is a mistake. Mercedes was my very first favorite author, when I was about twelve. I must have read Castle of Deception forty times; I can still call to mind entire paragraphs from it. But I know I was an idiot at twelve, and I really don't want to learn that Mercedes was never all that good to begin with, but I just want to read something totally unlike all the pomo super-modern lit fic I'm always immersed in, and this certainly fits that bill. So we shall see...

Also, Tor? WT
Michele
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised that it was set in 1970s New York and it was a refreshing setting. I thought that Lackey descriptions were well done, providing a realistic fiction version of what I would imagine New York City would have been like.

I thought the characters were flawed, but likable, especially the main protagonist, Diana Tregarde. I thought the idea of a psivamps a fascinating concept, heightened by Lackey'
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'd originally read this book back in my heavy-Lackey, middle/high school phase. Now having lived and worked in New York for a few years (and no longer being a hormone-drenched teenager), I found myself curious about how it would stand up.

Lackey was doing urban fantasy before it really caught on--if her vampires are derivative of anyone's, they're Rice-esque. So you don't have to worry about errant sparkles, at least.

There may be some lingering affection biasing me here, but I thought this held
farmwifetwo
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranoramal
DNF at 50pgs.

I'm simply not interested. The story jumps all over, it's all in Diana's head and who were those people and why in the bookstore.

Not for me.
Punk
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampires
Supernatural...thriller? Diana Tregarde is a Guardian, a witch who's devoted her life to battling evil supernatural forces. Here, she meets an assortment of vampires.

This book is awful. The writing's completely over the top, abuses italics and "quote" marks to the point of insanity, and is filled with bizarre folksy phrases. Characters lived in the "Apple," were "in deep kim-chee" at least once a chapter, and Diana (fresh out of college) called all sorts of people "laddybuck" and once said "law
Valeria
Lamentablemente después de leer 37% del libro no tengo más ganas de continuar leyendo. Tanto el personaje principal como el estilo de la escritora no me atraen. Diana sería más interesante como personaje si su personalidad no fuese tan plana. Y la forma en que Mercedes Lackey describe la historia me cuesta concentrarme eh invertir en ella.
Lo siento pero esta lectora abandona este libro y va por otras que sean más a su gusto.
Gwen
Jun 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, fantasy, shite, queer
I paid 50p for this book, and I want my money back.

Oh Mercedes, why? What went wrong? Was it the 80s? Did the 80s do this to you?

Mercedes Lackey is always a guilty pleasure. Fluffy fantasy novels with fun themes and only a cursory nod to anything deeply meaningful. I usually rip through them in a couple days, like a bag of sugary marshmallows. But this one I ripped through because I just wanted it to end.

Here, I will write a book blurb for you:

"VAMPIRES! DRUGS! FREAKY SEX! DRUGS! TERRIBLE SLANG!
Jasmyn
Diana Tregarde is a guardian who is sworn to protect those who ask for her help. She finds herself caught up in a complex series of what at first appears to be coincidence, but with the help of her friends and a man she just met, she puts the pieces together to find that many of the strange things happening were really linked together.

Diana experiences every possible emotion in this book and Lackey is there to show them to us in a detailed way that leaves the reader grinning at her jokes, wishin
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy
Before Buffy or Hamilton's Anita Blake or Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, Lackey was writing Urban Fantasy with a strong heroine, Diana Tregarde, starting with Burning Water and also including, besides this one, Jinx High. Diana is a practicing witch and a "Guardian" sworn to protect innocents who get caught up in the supernatural.

Of the three novels, I think this is the strongest. I've read the Tregarde novels didn't sell well, and that's why Lackey hasn't written more with this character. I find th
  • The Second Summoning (Keeper Chronicles, #2)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Rediscovery  (Darkover - Chronological Order #11)
  • If I Pay Thee Not in Gold
  • Dagger Magic (Adept #4)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Diana Tregarde (5 books)
  • Arcanum 101  (Diana Tregarde, #0.3)
  • Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation)
  • Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1)
  • Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3)
“vampires don’t snore.” 0 likes
“My strength is as the strength of ten, because my heart is pure. Pure what, I don’t think I want to know.” 0 likes