Start by marking “Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions” as Want to Read:
Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions

Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Taming the Tiger Within is a handbook of meditations, analogies, and reflections that offer pragmatic techniques for diffusing anger, converting fear, and cultivating love in every arena of life-a wise and exquisite guide for bringing harmony and healing to one's life and relationships.

Published October 1st 2004 by Riverhead Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Tiger Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Tiger Within

Happyreader
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
While waiting for my friend Celia to battle suburban traffic to join me for dinner in Wicker Park tonight, I went to the Wicker Park library and found this book -- and read the entire book in 45 minutes.

It's classic Thich Nhat Hanh. Simple, soothing yet profound. At first I thought it was kind of wasteful of paper to have a single sentence per page spread and then I realized it slowed down the pace and made you mindful of the message of each individual sentence.

Focused primarily on anger and bei
Laurie Buchanan
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to improve your communication skills, minimize misunderstandings and build harmonious relationships in the workplace and at home? If you answered yes, then you will immediately benefit from Bob Bloom's book, "Taming the Tiger of Emotion: A Radical Change of Mind." In it, Bob presents user-friendly guidelines to understanding emotion and a step-by-step map for permanent and constructive change.

"Taming the Tiger of Emotion: A Radical Change of Mind" is a fantastic leaping off point for
Jack Coleman
Mar 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't want my difficult Emotions transformed.
Michael Jay
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael Jay by: The Universe
I am re-reading this one, as it is an easy read, and calms me. I appreciate the brevity and the conciseness of the piece.

The "how to read" aspect of books in this regard is more akin to how it might have been when books were young -- read a page or two, digest it, add your own thoughts to those thoughts, as if it were alchemy, not simple linear consumption. You should perceive the book as a living thing, and the relationship symbiotic, instead of a dead thing one must consume and spit out.

Chess
Chanita.Shannon

Acclaimed scholar, peace activist, and Buddhist master revered by people of all faiths, Thich Nhat Hanh has inspired millions worldwide with his insight into the human heart and mind. Now he focuses his profound
Natalia
There are some incredibly powerful words in here. Just, wow.
Khin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn I’m too attached to my anger to be a good Buddhist fjjdhfhd
Sacramento Public Library
This soothing book is a collection of meditations about anger and fear, and what to do when they arise. Many pages have only one or two sentences. This succinctness works well: it allows the reader to reflect and meditate on the words, have insights, and feel relief. Thich Nhat Hanh is a Buddhist monk. A key concept in Buddhism is dukkha, which means “suffering”. Much of what the Buddha taught concerned dukkha, and how to deal with it. Anger can be a form of suffering, especially when you keep r ...more
Ted
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small book of proverbial wisdom

This is a very short book. It is, I'm sure, meant to be read slowly and reflectively. Thich Nhat Hanh's books are somewhat repetitive and there is much that is found in his other books. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just realize that the repetition serves a purpose. In an affirmation style, reflecting upon these startling simple, yet near impossible to for Westerners to fully implement, concepts, we slowly, moment by moment can see effective change.

For
Stephanie Konrade
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Great book for bringing peace. Though I am not Buddhist, there was so much wisdom I gained while exploring my perspective on a challenging time in my life. Highly recommended to my friends facing challenging emotional struggles. Each page stated a simple statement or story that allowed you to think/meditate on how it could change your outlook. Though it is a quick read...you will want to explore your thoughts and incorporate it's wisdom into your thinking as you read it, so you won't want to tur ...more
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...
“Life is available only in the present moment.” 361 likes
“Mindful breathing is the vehicle that you use to go back to your true home.” 7 likes