Start by marking “Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)” as Want to Read:
Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)

Just Like Heaven

(Smythe-Smith Quartet #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  31,463 ratings  ·  2,033 reviews
Marcus Holroyd is the best friend of Honoria Smythe-Smith's brother, Daniel, who lives in exile out of the country. Marcus has promised to watch out for Honoria and takes his responsibility very seriously. But he has his work cut out for him when Honoria sets off for Cambridge determined to marry by the end of the season.
Paperback, UK Edition, 374 pages
Published June 2011 by Piatkus (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Heaven, please sign up.
Sha It's the first book of a standalone quartet that's related to the Bridgerton books and takes place at the same time. However, prior familiarity with…moreIt's the first book of a standalone quartet that's related to the Bridgerton books and takes place at the same time. However, prior familiarity with the Bridgerton books is only required for understanding obscure inside jokes, and not the main story.(less)

·  31,463 ratings  ·  2,033 reviews

Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Warning: May cause fits of giggles resulting in inquisitive stares if in public, an irrepressible smile to stay on your face, and cavities from too much sweetness.

This is such a cute, fun, charming, witty, feel-good read, and it was the perfect cure for my stressful, crummy week. It made me erupt with laughter several times, smile broadly throughout, and sigh in sheer delight at the romantic, sweet ending.

The Bridgertons hold a special place among my histor
Juliana Philippa
A simple and light romance, which is sometimes just what you need

When I first started reading romances, Julia Quinn was one of my favorite authors and I fell absolutely in love with her Bridgerton series, as I know many other romance readers did as well. The past few years, her books have been uneven for me, so I was a little nervous about picking this one up. The Smythe-Smiths were famous (or infamous is probably more accurate) but would it be what you expect from a Quinn book - a fun and light
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This book made me Photobucket and Photobucket, sometimes Photobucket, sometimes Photobucket, most of the time Photobucket and overall Photobucket

The story - Honoria and Marcus have known each other since they were children. They were friends, well, as much as one can be a friend to your brothers BFF. Daniel (the brother) got himself into trouble, and he made Marcus promise to keep an eye on Honoria (in translation: scare off any suitor imaginable, and then some XD).
Honoria is on the other hand quite desperate to find a husband, so she and her cousins plan a
Lisa Kay
★★★★ This book is a delight! Ms. Quinn has managed to take an amusing inside joke from her Bridgertons series, change it into a charming anecdote, then transform it into an enchanting love story, plus make it the start of a developing series. Wow!
After eighteen years, no one attended a Smythe-Smith musical without some inkling of the horrors that lay ahead.
Sure, it is a light, fast, fun read. However, the illness Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris, contracts is no laughing matter. Honoria Smythe-
Phrynne
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
I am a sucker for a good Regency romance and Julia Quinn definitely writes good ones. I am part way through her Bridgertons series and got side tracked onto this one which is the first in her Smythe-Smith Quartet series. It is related and a couple of the Bridgerton brothers had parts to play.

Quinn writes with a very light touch and her characters are always charming and entertaining. She is also very adept at humorous dialogue and it is easy to laugh out loud at certain moments. I was reading t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Historical Romances are my book candy and I love them for no sane reason. I can’t even begin to explain why if you put a woman in a corset and make her banter in an uptight and rigid social setting it becomes funnier than in a contemporary romance. Really I should hate books set in a time where a woman’s main goal is to be attractive, virtuous and marry well, but I don’t…I love them. I usually read them in one sitting and love every indulgent filled moment of it.

Just like heaven was my very fir
Ingie
Review written April 13, 2016

4.2 Stars - Solid good traditional nice historical

Just Like Heaven is the first in a newer HR series by Julia Quinn, a very popular author I have no earliest experience of. (It will be more by her.) — Let's see, this sounded perfect and so it was. Funny, sweet, innocent (you must patiently wait for the kiss) and just as well done as a perfect Regency romance should be.

This is a funny lighthearted funny tale about a (..the world's worst) annual musical performance, y
Rane

This was the perfect pick-me-upper- beach read. It had all of JQ's humor and trademarks (with a few cameo appearances from characters some of her older books) The book was light and airy and while not as strong as her other books, it did give a great insight into the infamous Smythe-Smith family and their tone-deaf love for music.

The book didn't feel very much like a full length novel as much of the action and story was taken with the heroine nursing back to health the hero and the hero and h
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I love Rosalyn Landor, and she did her best, but this book was endlessly, incredibly boring. So boring that I DNFed the audiobook at 65% or so, which is over 6 hours of listening.

This was my second book by Julia Quinn, and I think I need to hard backtrack and go right to the Bridgertons series because everyone RAVES about those books. I'm hoping that those books are better, not only because I already bought three of them, but because I'll be so disappointed if Julia Quinn isn't for me.

This book
Sharon
Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Pros
Family Theme: There is such a huge emphasis on family and I love it. I have been wanting to learn more about the Smyth-Smith family ever since reading about their quirky, non-musically-gifted family in Julia Quinn’s other series. This book has some funny moments and some heartwarming moments. In particular, I adore seeing Honoria being friends with her cousins who are part of the music quartet with her. They are such a silly, adorable group of girls. In addition, the
Ronyell
“Yum! Who would have thought that sweet tarts and chocolates can make love so heavenly!”

chocolate

I have been reading so many historical romance novels that I must have read almost every one, mainly works from Lisa Kleypas, Teresa Medeiros and Jennifer Ashley. But, this is the first novel I have read from Julia Quinn and it is called “Just Like Heaven.” Actually, “Just Like Heaven” is Julia Quinn’s most recent book to date, so I had the pleasure of reading one of Julia Quinn’s books.

The story starts of
Carolyn  Storer
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have a bit of a soft spot for historical romance since I began reading the genre last year, but I'd never read one of the most loved authors within this genre. I have heard from many sources that Quinn is a wonderful writer and now having read a novel I couldn't agree more.

"Just Like Heaven" is brilliantly written and just so witty. It's sparkly, lively and funny. The writing is smooth and the dialogue realistic, so much so I didn't realise how many pages I had read before I realised I had nea
Carmen
Dec 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fans
This is really a comedy much more than a romance. The book is hilarious. However, if you are reading it for kissing, and romance, and sex, you are barking up the wrong tree. This is a fluffy, sweet, very funny story in which two people happen to fall in love.

Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris, grew up with no mother and a distant father. Luckily he was sent away to school when he was 12, where he met his best friend Daniel.

Daniel has a lot of sisters, most notably one 5 years younger than Marcus,
Autumn
Bah! .. whatever happened to JQ??? She is known to write on the lit end of historical genre, but sincerely, the story left me ... hmm. empty. lacking.

I liked he fact that Marcus and Honoria have known each other through childhood. their bantering,and how comfortable they were around each other was the number one factor i kept reading the book.The story however,was just FLAT (to me).

the redundant, self-doubting train of thought from the characters drove me I-N-S-A-N-E. I supposed she tried to ma
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Come see my review @ Under the Covers

Having read everything that Julia Quinn has written I was very much looking forward to starting a series about the famous (or is it infamous?) Smythe-Smith. If you have read any of her books you would have heard about the Smythe-Smith Musicale the most anticipated and by that I mean dreaded social event in the ton calander. Honoria Smith-Smythe plays the violin, terribly ofcourse in true Smythe-Smith tradition, in the quartet and she hopes that this will be h
rivka
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Bridgertons books
This is why I love Julia Quinn books: I laughed, I cried, and then I laughed so hard I cried.

As always, the dedication to her husband is worth the price of admission alone. I won't spoil that for you. ;)

On p. 57 (of this edition), was the first bit that made me laugh out loud:
And Honoria had a plan. It wasn't terribly complicated; she needed only a sunny day, a halfway acceptable sense of direction, and a shovel.

It was 11 pages later that we found out what she was up to. And 10 pages after th
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Julia Quinn's Historicals
4.5 Stars

This is the first of a quartet where Quinn explores the inner workings of the Smythe-Smith family and their infamous musicales. In this book, we meet Lady Honoria Smythe-Smith who plays violin in the musicale and Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris. Marcus is the best friend of Honoria's older brother Daniel who is living in exile in Italy for reasons that are explained in the first few chapters. Daniel and Marcus have been friends for years and Marcus has become a type of surrogate son f
Christine
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Julia Quinn
Shelves: adult, own-it
By sheer luck, I got an early copy of Just Like Heaven and immediately read it when I received it in the mail yesterday. And it was great!

In the Bridgertons series, I always got the impression that the Smythe-Smith girls were a little boring and not... bright. But it turns out, they're just the opposite! I had so much fun learning about Honoria Smythe-Smith and her family and the very, very large number of cousins. Geez, this family is big.

Honoria and Marcus together are adorable and I love thei
Eastofoz
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bridgerton series style fans
If you liked Quinn’s Bridgerton family series and you’re looking for a new comfort read series, then this oughta do it. “Just Like Heaven” had everything I love about Julia Quinn’s novels: fantastic dialog, the focus is on the h/h, lots of witty humor and well-drawn characters. Quinn is one of the few historical romance authors out there whose books actually sound like a historical and the tone remains consistent throughout the book.

The h/h (Marcus and Honoria) start off as friends of sorts from
[Aengell]
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 sweet, sweet, sweet, lovely BR with Iliada stars

I wasn’t a big fan of “known each other a lifetime”, “friends to lovers” themes, but Julia Quinn hooked me up.
This story was so enticing, charming, cute and romantic, that I felt all giddy inside. It wasn’t dragging at all, and there were many many cousins, mothers and great-great-aunts on the side who created a big, chaotic mess of secondary characters who were just adorable .

The main characters, Honoria and Marcus, were too sweet to be true,
Jilly
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every girl loves a brooding bad boy! Marcus, the hero in this book, is a little Mr. Darcyish with his standoffish behavior and withering stares. But, then our heroine realizes that he is just shy and socially awkward. (see? Mr. Darcy) Imagine Mr. Darcy with a sense of humor. I love the dry sarcastic wit in these books.

Aside from the romance is the extremely funny Smythe-Smith musicale jokes. From the Bridgerton series, these shows are already legendary, and it is super fun to read about them fro
Caz
The perfect piece of audio-fluff for when - as I am - you're laid up in bed with a stinking cold and can't read a book because it makes your eyes ache!

It's classic JQ - light-hearted, with plenty of witty dialogue; and it contains one of my favourite tropes, the "friends-to-lovers" one.

Lady Honoria has known Marcus Holroyd since she was a child. He's her big brother's best friend, the only child of an only child who has been given the best of everything in life - except familial life and affecti
Andrea
"When we performed our awful pantomimes as children, you were always a tree." "I never had to say anything." "And you always got to stand at the back." He felt himself smile, lopsided and true. "I rather liked being a tree." "You were a very good tree." She smiled then, too- a radiant, wondrous thing. "The world needs more trees."

One of my favorite JQ books. Yes, most people will find this very boring. Nothing happens. But that's part of the magic for me. It's low-key, features two people who ar
Lexxi Kitty
I’m quite tempted to rate this book higher than I have. Though it’s a question of rating it 0.25 stars more than I have, or not – but that raises the rating on Goodreads from 4 stars to 5 (since I’m thinking of rating this either 4.50 or 4.75).

Right, so. I’ve now dipped into three series by this author. All of which are connected to each other. The first series I dipped into, oddly enough, is also one that I’ve only read one book by – both because there were no other books in the series when I s
Amanda
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic, romance

Huh… I honestly don’t know what I just read. So little actually happened in Just Like Heaven that’s its almost not worth writing a review in the first place. It’s almost worse to not give enough of a shit to even hate it. It doesn’t provoke any emotion in me whatsoever. I don’t think this has ever really happened to me before…

I think mainly I can’t believe what I read counted as a book. It’s nearly 400 pages long and approximately 100 of those pages are about Honoria taking care of Marcus while
Book Wonderland
This wasn't as good as the most of Bridgertons series, but it was still very enjoyable. There were actually a lot of references to the Bridgertons, Colin even shows up in this book.
This is a very light and charming read, and I liked Marcus and Honoria. (And all the horrible musicians in the Smythe-Smith family 😂)
Also I share their love for chocolate cake and other sweets! :)
Ally72
I loved it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I think that expresses how I felt about this book. This is one of my favorite Julia Quinn books I have read (and there have been some "hits and misses" for me) and I cannot wait until the next book is released. I would recommend this new series to anyone who enjoyed the Bridgerton books (there are even a couple of Bridgerton family members that make an appearance in it...Yay)!!! Just Li ...more
Beanbag Love
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really fun, light-hearted story. There's a bit of angst, but it's not too strong. Julia Quinn doesn't really do angst.

But there are a lot of laughs and the chemistry between the two leads is excellent. I liked them both quite a bit and the developments seemed very organic. It's a trope I like -- two people who've known each other since childhood -- so that was a plus as well.

This book is set in the Bridgertons world and there's some overlap with "Romancing Mr. Bridgerton". So now, of course, I
Giselle Bradley
3.5 Stars Upon rereading this I didn't love it as much as I did originally. I still really like it though. It did kind of get dragged out at the end though. But it was fun and sweet. Fun note! The day I finished rereading this was the day I started reading it originally 3 years ago. It was one of my first romances I ever read.
Dina
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the Julia Quinn I love and have been missing for years. Nobody does light and fluffy like her - when her muse is around, that is. :)

• Unlocked (Turner, #1.5)
  • Wicked Becomes You
  • Pleasure for Pleasure (Essex Sisters, #4)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, an ...more

Smythe-Smith Quartet (4 books)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)
“He’d spent his life being a perfect gentleman. He’d never been a flirt. He’d never been a rogue. He hated being the center of attention, but by God, he wanted to be the center of her attention. He wanted to do the wrong thing, the bad thing. He wanted to pull her into his arms and carry her to her bed. He wanted to peel every last inch of her clothing from her body, and then he wanted to worship her. He wanted to show her all the things he wasn’t sure he knew how to say.” 61 likes
“No. Haven’t you been listening?”

Marcus would always remember that moment. It was to be the first time he would ever be faced with that most vexing of female quirks: the question that had nothing but wrong answers.”
53 likes